• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jet Lag

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
What is your best advice to reduce the impacts of Jet Lag?
Spain is 8 hours ahead of my current time zone and would love to know any proven practices!

Thanks

Mike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've always been told to" stick to the local time". So if I arrive in Spain at 7am my body and brain tell me it's 12am, so I try to keep my body moving and fight the "sleepezes" until night. It's not easy,but it seems to work.

Half a bottle of Rioja will fix you right up! What? You don’t drink wine? Why did you come to Spain! In emergencies Aguardiente (Spanish), aiguardent (Catalan), aguardente (Portuguese), and augardente (Galician) will revive you within several minutes not recommended due to some serious side effects due to the amount of alcohol involved!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We also have a time difference of 8 hours (plus approx 18 hours travelling). In the past (before our Camino times), I used to feel shattered - couldn't get to sleep the first night, woke up at about midday the next day, etc.)
Now, we do it different! Bed by 10.00 p.m. - first night always in a pension and not in a dorm - alarm set for 7.00 a.m., up and out by 8.00 a.m. whereby we walk a full day, say until 2 or 3 p.m. and then we start our normal Pilgrim routine - checking in, shower, washing clothes, food, meet up with fellow Pilgrims and earlyish to bed by 9.30 p.m. I've done this now for the last 5 years and it works fine. Last year, after the 8.00p.m. Mass at Roncesvalles, we even walked down through the forest to Burgete (3 kms), where we had booked for the first night in a lovely Casa Rural. Anne

Mike:

I usually book an evening flight. So I arrive in Europe in the morning after a decent night sleep on the plane. Then you travel all day to get to SJPdP, sleep that night and start the Camino in the morning. Coming home has always presented a more difficult adjustment period.

Ultreya,
Joe

jpflavin1 said:
Mike:I usually book an evening flight. So I arrive in Europe in the morning after a decent night sleep on the plane. Joe
You get a decent night sleep on a plane???!!!! I arrive in Paris just after 7am after flying all night from Singapore. And am pretty certain I will feel like ****!! (And that way is my 'good' direction- I feel worse coming home to NZ via Singapore.)
Margaret

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I definitely find the West to East flight is much worse. In the other direction (depending on length of flight) you take off and land the same day and it is just a matter of staying awake 6 or so hours longer than normal, which I just think of as like going out late on the weekend. To get through the West to East it is vital to get as much continuous sleep on the plane as possible. I've taken this flight many, many times and I think it's just a matter of luck really. Sometimes I sleep loads, other times I get an hour's sleep tops. Sometimes a stiff drink, an ambien, and a window seat help, but there is no magic formula. Not in coach anyway. Additionally, more and more airlines allow you to pay for a bit more legroom for a fee. Or you can pick the exit row (which usually has more leg room) or request it at the airport on the day of, if you can't pick it ahead of time. However, I have to tell you this is not a magic bullet. I've had some horrible exit row flights as well. Those are things you can do with the flight to ensure as much rest as possible to wake up in the AM on European time.
Once you land there are some additional things you can do to lessen the jetlag. One thing is to stay awake the whole day and get as much sun as possible. There seems to be some science in this, as the sun has an effect on your pineal gland which regulates your sleep patterns. The other half of that is to get to sleep after sunset at a time which you plan on keeping throughout your walk, probably around 10PM. I find it helps to have some beers/wine. You may have reservations about this if you plan on walking the next day, but a sensible dose of alcohol can certainly help with the insomnia that is a big driving factor in the jet lag. Besides, by the time you hit La Rioja, you will very possibly be making a glass or more of wine in the evening part of your daily Camino routine. :)
In any case, your first day walking will undoubtedly be exhausting and will do a lot to help you on the way to a normal sleep pattern. After which, don't be afraid to take a nap. The Spanish have a siesta time for a reason. There will be nothing open anyway for a few hours in the afternoon because of it. Why not get some well deserved shut eye after a long days walk?

Hope this helps.

Ultreya!
James

My tips for reducing the effects of jet lag:
  • get into the rhythm of your destination - set your watch to its time zone, and behave like you were in that time zone - if its midnight there, don't eat the airline dinner, but try and get some rest instead.
  • stay hydrated - aircraft cabin air is very dry, and it is easy to become dehydrated if you don't take care. Avoid coffee and alcohol on the flight, and drink plenty of water rather than soft drinks.
  • get some sleep, even if you are travelling in the daytime for your destination. It won't necessarily be good sleep, but you can make it better by using ear plugs, an eye mask and neck pillow. Airlines may provide some or all of these, but you will need them if you are going to stay in albergues.
  • if you are awake, get up every hour or so and stretch your legs. This isn't about jet lag, but DVT, which I expect you also want to avoid.

Don't expect to ameliorate jet lag completely. It still might take a day or so to get your diurnal cycle working in sync with the local time, and getting your hydration back in balance could easily be set back by following some of the advice to include alcohol consumption as part of the treatment. I hope that was meant to be light-hearted.

Regards,

I'll arrive from Brazil (5-hr time difference) at 10:30 AM, and will be in Pamplona around 5:00 PM on April 17th, after a 6-hour wait at Barajas airport for the flight.

The only way I can deal with jet leg and the brutal effects of the 12-hour flight + airport wait is by having a day off. I intend to stay 2 nights in a hostal and just lazy about Pamplona (lovely town) on the 18th. In my last Camino I did this and it was perfect, I ended up sleeping on the grass all afternoon in this lovely park in the Citatel :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nosdamonta ... 4162889226
I woke up in the late afternoon feeling refreshed and full of energy, slept very well again at night and next morning I was as good as new.

Then I'm going to Roncesvalles on the 19th to start walking on the 20th. Hopefully share a taxi to arrive in Roncesvalles early (instead of taking the 6 PM bus) to explore the place with daylight before the 8 PM Mass.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Margaret:

I typically fall asleep on a plane as soon as I board and do not wake up till dinner is served. I eat, read for about half an hour and fall back asleep. Not sure what it is, maybe the whine/hum of the engines puts me to sleep, but I sleep very well on airplanes.

Ultreya,
Joe

I can't sleep on a plane. Someday I hope to be rich enough to take at least one first class flight in my lifetime. I'm so jealous when I see them in their little fold-down beds! lol

Anyway.. I just usually factor in one REST day the day after arrival to give my body time to recover from the flight and time change. I also get into Spanish Time "mode" asap - even if it means staying up extra hours.

And the walking really does help - so walk as soon as possible.

I have lived/worked in Europe for the past ten years but I am from the U.S. I make the trip often and it's a nine hour time difference (two or three meals plus two or three movies and you're still not there). Here's my pre-flight and in-flight advice: start your trip well rested; drink lots (lots) of water as you travel; the sleep benefits of more than a single glass of wine are far outweighed by the negative impact on your inner clock. Consider total travel time when you book your flight.

For a nine hour time change, sleep on the flight does not seem to be as significant as each of the above variables. I have learned to keep my fleece and a pair of warm socks handy so it is not the unpredictable plane temperatures keeping me awake. My actual sleep on a plane is feast or famine.

Nancy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
jpflavin1 said:
Margaret:I typically fall asleep on a plane as soon as I board and do not wake up till dinner is served. I eat, read for about half an hour and fall back asleep. Not sure what it is, maybe the whine/hum of the engines puts me to sleep, but I sleep very well on airplanes. Ultreya,
Joe
Wow! I am impressed! I tend to sleep very little on the plane, though unpredictably more sometimes than others- then on arrival have a series of nights when I am wide awake at 1am- 2am- 3am- 4am and simply cannot sleep. Plus in the middle of the first few afternoons I am really struggling to stay awake. A French couple who I met on the Camino last time live not too far from Paris CDG and offered to pick me up at the airport and take me into the city. I had to tell them it might be better to wait until I have had at least one night's sleep as I am liable to be feeling very grotty on arrival!
Margaret

mlhhome said:
What is your best advice to reduce the impacts of Jet Lag?
The advice of Dougfitz is probably the better one.
Each individual has a different reaction to jet lag. It depends upon age, physical condition, attitude, length of traveling time and method(s) used, etc.
Try to listen to what your body tells you: relax, rest, drink, eat, sleep, etc. One ideally needs 24 hours to catch up with every 2 to 3 hours of time difference. Some people need less (or pretend to need less).
Some airlines with long distance flights publish recommendations in respect of this subject. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
So far I've been in 42 countries. Here's what works for me:

- Immediately after clearing security, hit the kiosk for 2 liter bottles of water. Also some nuts.
- Upon boarding, set wristwatch for destination time.
- Take a Tylenol PM if on an overnight flight (I fly from the US west coast)
- No alcohol on the flight. Take coffee or tea when the breakfast meal is offered, along with those nuts for a protein burst.
- As soon as feasible in Europe, get your face outside and into the sunlight for a half hour at least. There seems to be a direct connection from the retina to the bodyclock.
- I know you arrived mid-morning in Europe, but you canNOT go to bed until it is bedtime in Europe! If you have to take a mid-afternoon nap, set your timer so it is only 30 minutes or so.
- You are now in Europe. Eat lunch and dinner according to local European time.
- Your body is still confused - don't set yourself up for hard decision or difficult physical feats that first day or two. Plan ahead to not be at your best for a little while.

Hmm, the BA advice had me on Day 2 of arrival seeking light between 11:00pm-1:30am, and avoiding it 1:30am-4am. I'm confident I can do the latter, not so sure about the former!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
alipilgrim said:
Hmm, the BA advice had me on Day 2 of arrival seeking light between 11:00pm-1:30am, and avoiding it 1:30am-4am. I'm confident I can do the latter, not so sure about the former!!
I had a similar problem doing the calculation coming from Australia. Other than wandering off to sit in the toilets for a couple of hours or so with the lights on, I couldn't think of how to make it work :) .

Lise T said:
But coming back is a whole other story....I dont know why...but it can take me two weeks to get my routine back to normal when i get back to NZ.
I don't know the explanation- but I know that travelling east back to NZ is always harder for me as well, plus others I have talked to...
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Lise T said:
But coming back is a whole other story....I dont know why...but it can take me two weeks to get my routine back to normal when i get back to NZ.
I don't know the explanation- but I know that travelling east back to NZ is always harder for me as well, plus others I have talked to...
Margaret

This makes me feel better! It just took us a full week to adjust coming back to NZ (whereas going up to Paris, we arrived at 9am, FORCED ourselves to stay up all day - although kids fell asleep standing up on the metro at 5pm!) and we were completely right after 2-3 sleeps. We thought it was our own fault for stupidly giving ourselves an 80 hour return journey from getting out of bed until falling back into our own ones at home. Certainly that won't have helped, but maybe there was more to it!

Details are here if you really need to know how we managed to plan such a stupid route! http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kiwifamily/m ... tober.html
It wans't until we'd been home five days and were still desperate for bed by 8pm that I was beginning to think we should not have done it - the actual travelling was quite bearable. Two days later and I was ready to say I'd do it again!
BTW, Grandpa did not love me for making him go up Montmartre the afternoon we arrived in Paris and he wanted to sleep, and the kids loved me even less, but they all concede now that it was the right thing to do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On our first trip to Europe from Australia we flew to Madrid via Tokyo and Amsterdam (we like JAL and they had a good deal on Premium Economy seats). There was about 24-28 hours or so of combined flying time if I recall correctly. Anyway we took the train to Pamplona the next day and started walking the day after! Big mistake (for us).

We have since learned that it takes us about 3 days to overcome the time lag between Australia and Europe and so we factor that into the start of our trip. So now we get to have fun planning what awesome things we can do in France for 3 days before we set off from St Jean. I'm thinking food, wine, sleep and beach! :D

this works for me every time i cross the hemispheres:
treat the flight like a big night out, a dawn breaker even.
watch movies on the plane one after another, non stop.
dbl bonus: you get to see loads of good flicks
plus!
at arrivals, you are totally zonked, & when you hit the sack you sleep like a rock for ages.
& then, when you wake up in your new time zone:
everythings peachy!

On the first day I walked only from St Jean Pied de Port to Orisson, arriving at lunchtime. After a fantastic lunch, a bottle of wine and great company I slept the afternoon away alone in the room, waking for dinner, more great conversation, a full night sleep and an early morning start arriving in Roncesvalles at lunchtime and then walking on for a few hours. Worked for me!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
People at home think I am crazy, but I use a pre-de-jetlag plan to get ahead of the game before I even travel.

I begin one week before my flight, and get up one hour earlier than normal. The next day I get up at that same time. On the third day I get up another hour earlier, then do that time again the next day. I repeat this process until it's time to travel. Each night I crawl into bed eight hours before my next scheduled wake-up time, and read or rest quietly until sleep comes along.

By the time I travel, I am already four hours closer to the time zone in Europe. I then follow most of the advice in this thread.

It's a bit awkward, I admit, to get that out of synch with my household. But the rewards are worth it. The first time I did this I was headed to SJPP to volunteer at the Pilgrim's Office. I arrived on the train from Bayonne at 7:00pm (1900 hours) after a long journey from California, and jumped right into my volunteer gig...wide awake and full of energy (not just adrenaline!).

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back