• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Jocey is safe and sound!!!

Wendy Leighton

Jocelyn is safe and sound!!! Thank you thank you thank you all sooooo much for your kindness and guidance and prayers!!!! Jocey posted a message to me on Facebook this morning that she is safe and sound in Santiago and that she will contact me again soon. She was without Internet just like you all said and that was why she couldn't contact me. Praise God and thank you all again so much.

Many blessings, Wendy!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wendy,

There are many, many pilgrims now walking on the CF and it may be difficult for your daughter to contact home. Two Villafranca's are found along the Camino Frances; Villafranca Montes de Oca which is east of Burgos and Villafranca del Biezo which is further west near O Cebreiro. Once you establish which was the location of your daughter when she last communicated with you it will be easier for you to trace her. I suggest that you send a copy of your request posting to both Ivar Rekve who manages this Forum web site (Ivar.rekve@gmail.com) and to Johnnie Walker who heads up the Pilgrim office in Santiago (johnniewalker-santiago@hotmail.com). Both men would be better able than I to suggest further means to locate Jocelyn.

I hope that soon you and your daughter will be in touch.

Margaret Meredith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please anyone reading this, can you tell me how to find out where my daughter currently is on her walk? I have not heard from her since last Wednesday, August 14, 2012. Her name is Jocelyn Landers and she is from Portland, Maine, in the US. The last time I heard from her she was staying somewhere in the village of Villa Franco. Her destination is Finisterre. In her last post to me on Facebook she mentioned that she met an American named Heather. You can reach me at 207-632-0804 in the US, also wendyleighton@yahoo.com, and also on Facebook search for wendyleig. Thank you so much for any and all information or help.

Sincerely,

Wendy

Wendy,

There are many, many pilgrims now walking on the CF and it may be difficult for your daughter to contact home. Two Villafranca's are found along the Camino Frances; Villafranca Montes de Oca which is east of Burgos and Villafranca del Biezo which is further west near O Cebreiro. Once you establish which was the location of your daughter when she last communicated with you it will be easier for you to trace her. I suggest that you send a copy of your request posting to both Ivar Rekve who manages this Forum web site (Ivar.rekve@gmail.com) and to Johnnie Walker who heads up the Pilgrim office in Santiago (johnniewalker-santiago@hotmail.com). Both men would be better able than I to suggest further means to locate Jocelyn.

I hope that soon you and your daughter will be in touch.

Margaret Meredith

Hello Margaret,

Thank you so much for the information and I will go back through her correspondence to see if I can figure out which Villafranca she was in when I last heard from her. I have been in touch with Ivar and he tells me to give it a few days and not to worry that there are lapses between places where there is Internet access. Jocelyn does have a phone on her but she keeps it off because of the high cost of using it. She also did not take her IPad so she uses the computers in the hostels when she can. The thing that really has me worried is she wrote a friend that there was a man whom she felt was following her but then she told her friend that everything was okay, so I am not sure how to take that. Jocey is very savvy and wouldn't take unnecessary chances. It is good there are so many people on the pilgrimage just now. I will contact Johnnie immediately and again than you so much for all your help. Sincerely, Wendy

Wendy,
Jocelyn is probably as worried about not being able to contact you as you are about her not contacting you.

Looking forward to hearing you've heard from each other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Though I can't add any better advice than you've already gotten, Wendy, I just want to say that I understand exactly how you feel. My son took off on the Camino alone from Roncesvalles when he was 19, and even though I was a camino veteran and should have known better, I was worried when a week went by without hearing from him. He was of course totally surprised when he finally did contact us to learn that we had been worried. His response was something along the lines of - whatever were you worried about?!

August 14 was a mere 4 days ago. She wrote on Wednesday, and internet access is harder to come by on the weekends (as libraries and casas de cultura are closed), and as everyone has said, the most likely explanation is that she has not had time or the opportunity to write again. The Camino can be an intense and full experience, and even though people wonder how in the world the time passes when all you do in a day is walk 8 hours, the days fly by and fill up quickly.

From one mother to another, you really shouldn't worry. I knew when my son was on the Camino that he was in one of the world's safest and most protective environments. But that still didn't keep me from worrying -- so I guess the advice I've given is advice that no mother can follow! Buen camino, Laurie

David wrote
What I say - and this is quite serious - is whether one takes communication gadgets so that one can stay in constant touch with the world left behind or not depends upon one's intention.
If one is a tourist, well, take what you want. If one is on pilgrimage, in the religious/spiritual sense, then leave them behind.

It is quite simple - no one going on a religious retreat would take those gadgets with them, nor to church. Would any monastery or convent or church allow them? No, they are forbidden - in all religions. They would say that the person was frivolous, not serious about their intention. A pilgrimage is a process where one is away from, isolated from, the known world and all its attachments and it is that being separated from that world that is foundational to the spiritual pilgrimage process.

Priscillian wrote:

Actually, I would have to say: "Do I really need a phone?" Period. If there is one place to be "disconnected" surely it is the Camino.

I do hope you have a good outcome and heard from your daughter, as you can see from the two postings not everyone is as concerned as you when they cannot connect to their loved ones.

Please anyone reading this, can you tell me how to find out where my daughter currently is on her walk? I have not heard from her since last Wednesday, August 14, 2012.
Wendy, I know that this might seem counter-intuitive, but I would take some comfort in the fact that you haven't heard anything. The US consular support is excellent in Europe. If anything untoward had happened to her, local authorities would let the US consular support services know, and you would have heard. It might be a case where no news is good news, although I can understand that you will still be concerned until you get some positive news.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree that no news is good news. I will offer up a prayer for you and your daughter... peace! Michele

Wendy,
Jocelyn is probably as worried about not being able to contact you as you are about her not contacting you.

Looking forward to hearing you've heard from each other.

Thanks so much John, knowing Jocelyn you are absolutely right about her being as worried as I am! Thank you so much for your kind support. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again, Wendy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Though I can't add any better advice than you've already gotten, Wendy, I just want to say that I understand exactly how you feel. My son took off on the Camino alone from Roncesvalles when he was 19, and even though I was a camino veteran and should have known better, I was worried when a week went by without hearing from him. He was of course totally surprised when he finally did contact us to learn that we had been worried. His response was something along the lines of - whatever were you worried about?!

August 14 was a mere 4 days ago. She wrote on Wednesday, and internet access is harder to come by on the weekends (as libraries and casas de cultura are closed), and as everyone has said, the most likely explanation is that she has not had time or the opportunity to write again. The Camino can be an intense and full experience, and even though people wonder how in the world the time passes when all you do in a day is walk 8 hours, the days fly by and fill up quickly.

From one mother to another, you really shouldn't worry. I knew when my son was on the Camino that he was in one of the world's safest and most protective environments. But that still didn't keep me from worrying -- so I guess the advice I've given is advice that no mother can follow! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie! You have been very soothing and I will keep your shared experience close to me. It is so hard not to overreact. Many blessings, Wendy

Wendy, I know that this might seem counter-intuitive, but I would take some comfort in the fact that you haven't heard anything. The US consular support is excellent in Europe. If anything untoward had happened to her, local authorities would let the US consular support services know, and you would have heard. It might be a case where no news is good news, although I can understand that you will still be concerned until you get some positive news.

Hi Doug, you are so right and you have given me good information to know. I will be so relieved when I hear from my daughter but as you say no news could be good news right now. Many blessings, Wendy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are both in my prayers.
Thank you Sister! I guess I may have hit the panic button a little too early. Everyone is telling me this is a natural thing to have happen because of the lack of Internet on the pilgrimage. I understand it is to be a time of personal reflection without the trappings of the electronic world but Jocey is my little girl and I am not used to not being able to reach out to her. I will stay in Faith and thank you so much for your prayers. Many blessings, Wendy

Wendy, I am in my 40's and I frequently just forget to let my Dad know I'm alive and well. Or more often I just get too caught up in the journey and the experience of being on the Camino and don't realize how much time has passed. He worries, too. I'm not a parent, but I've observed that it's just what parents do.

Please do let us know once you've reconnected with your daughter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wendy,even though there are many good reasons why your daughter is temporarily out of touch,its natural to be worried about her. Try to remember she is in a blessed place, and no matter what she is doing, your girl is in Gods Hands.
Blessings!

I'm sure she's just having a great time! She's probably exhausted at the end of the day, and I noticed this year that there are rarely computers available, as in years past.
Since everyone seems to have a smart phone, fewer albergues have computers available. It's possible she cannot charge her phone, that the phone was stolen or damaged, or that she just hasn't had an opportunity to contact you. These are tiny villages she is walking through - I bet when she reaches a big city, you'll hear from her again! You are both in my prayers. The Camino is very safe... and there are lots of pilgrims to help her along her way. Let us know when you hear from her. Annie

This is why you should never agree to a set time to contact someone because if you can't do it for some reason (lack of computer, you forget because you're having too much fun,...) it makes people scared.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I hadn't walked the Camino may times over the past years I would also be worried if my daughter, or son for that matter, didn't give a sign of life for several days. I could notice how comradeship among pilgrims develops as they walk towards Santiago. The experiences have always been positive, because their young spirit and purpose keeps them in a healthy atmosphere. Often you are faced with the time difference of many hours between you and your loved ones.
You'll see, it all will work out fine!

Wendy, I am in my 40's and I frequently just forget to let my Dad know I'm alive and well. Or more often I just get too caught up in the journey and the experience of being on the Camino and don't realize how much time has passed. He worries, too. I'm not a parent, but I've observed that it's just what parents do.

Please do let us know once you've reconnected with your daughter.

Thanks so much Nancy for your kind words and reassurance. I still have not heard from her but everyone tells me that is par for the course. I will be so relieved when I do hear from Jocelyn and I will let every know. Many blessings, Wendy

If I hadn't walked the Camino may times over the past years I would also be worried if my daughter, or son for that matter, didn't give a sign of life for several days. I could notice how comradeship among pilgrims develops as they walk towards Santiago. The experiences have always been positive, because their young spirit and purpose keeps them in a healthy atmosphere. Often you are faced with the time difference of many hours between you and your loved ones.

Thank you Fraluchi, you are very kind. Many blessings, Wendy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wendy,even though there are many good reasons why your daughter is temporarily out of touch,its natural to be worried about her. Try to remember she is in a blessed place, and no matter what she is doing, your girl is in Gods Hands.
Blessings!

Thank you Sister! I take great comfort in your words. The other thing in addition to being very nervous about not hearing from her is I miss her like crazy!!! Many blessings, Wendy

Last edited:
This is why you should never agree to a set time to contact someone because if you can't do it for some reason (lack of computer, you forget because you're having too much fun,...) it makes people scared.

We didn't really have a plan for calls, I just assumed she would be able to contact me every few days at least but everyone is telling me to be patient so that is what I am doing. But I SURE will be GLAD when I hear from my little girl! Many blessings, Wendy

I'm sure she's just having a great time! She's probably exhausted at the end of the day, and I noticed this year that there are rarely computers available, as in years past.
Since everyone seems to have a smart phone, fewer albergues have computers available. It's possible she cannot charge her phone, that the phone was stolen or damaged, or that she just hasn't had an opportunity to contact you. These are tiny villages she is walking through - I bet when she reaches a big city, you'll hear from her again! You are both in my prayers. The Camino is very safe... and there are lots of pilgrims to help her along her way. Let us know when you hear from her. Annie

Thanks so much Annie, your kind words and good advice will help me stay calm. Many blessings, Wendy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please anyone reading this, can you tell me how to find out where my daughter currently is on her walk? I have not heard from her since last Wednesday, August 14, 2012. Her name is Jocelyn Landers and she is from Portland, Maine, in the US. The last time I heard from her she was staying somewhere in the village of Villa Franco. Her destination is Finisterre. In her last post to me on Facebook she mentioned that she met an American named Heather. You can reach me at 207-632-0804 in the US, also wendyleighton@yahoo.com, and also on Facebook search for wendyleig. Thank you so much for any and all information or help.

Sincerely,

Wendy

GREAT NEWS!!! Jocey sent me a post on Facebook this morning!!!!!!!!!!! She is safe and sound and in Santiago!!!!! Praise God!!!!!!!! I am so happy I feel all floaty! Thank you ALL for being so generous and kind. Your kind words of support helped to calm me and keep my going until I could hear from my girl again. I will keep this up for a while because I want everyone to know that has been following this thread and also to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your kindness. Many blessings, Wendy!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So happy that you have peace of mind now. Now rest easy....Peace to you and yours!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back