• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July 2014!

NickJames

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2013!
Looking to start the Camino Frances route in early to mid July. Just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any advice for last minute travelers or if you'll be on the trail. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All I can say is: plenty of water, sun cream, a good hat and a lot of patience, it might be a bit crowded at places.

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Awesome, thanks guys! Any advice on what backpack to use? Contemplating staying a few weeks after I complete the trail to check out the rest of Europe.

Looking to start the Camino Frances route in early to mid July. Just thought I'd post on here to see if anyone has any advice for last minute travelers or if you'll be on the trail. Buen Camino!
Ill be starting around the 7th. So maybe well cross paths. Not sure what to do about Pamplona since it will most likely be full for San Fermin..buen camino!!

My sons and I will be leaving out of SJPDP on July 4 so keep an eye out for four of us

Buen Camino
Bill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Planning to leave from SJPDP on July 15th. Can't wait!
Buen Camino!

Ill be starting around the 7th. So maybe well cross paths. Not sure what to do about Pamplona since it will most likely be full for San Fermin..buen camino!!
I am starting from Pamplona on 11th... so see you on the road. Prebooked accommodation for 9th and 10th there.

Starting on the 1st July from SJPP.

Does anyone know if the auberges are closed in Pamplona? Information on the other pages here is slightly conflicting.

I suggest taking adjustable walking poles. I could not have done without mine. Used properly they reduce the impact on your knees by up to 25% and saved me from many a rolled ankle

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting on the 1st July from SJPP.

Does anyone know if the auberges are closed in Pamplona? Information on the other pages here is slightly conflicting.

My understanding is that most or all of the albergues in Pamplona will be closed for the duration of San Fermin, with the festival getting underway on Sunday, July 6 this year. I'll be starting from St Jean on July 3 and, with a stop in Orisson booked to split the hike to Roncesvalles, I expect to reach Pamplona on that very day. That being the case, I'm steeling myself for a little fiesta-related chaos, but plan to walk through and have reserved a bunk in Zariquiequi for that night. Depending upon your own schedule, leaving St Jean on July 1 suggests you should reach Pamplona pre-San Fermin. What I have no idea about is whether the albergues close immediately before San Fermin or if they shut the doors a few days or a week beforehand.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear everyone,
I will start my Camino on July 27, 2014, very excited.
Can you give comments on my final itinerary?
It seems that my proposed itinerary is only 107 km, hopefully, I can get the La Compostela !!

Sarria - Santiago

Day 1 Sarria to Portomarin..................... 22 km
Day 2 Portomarin to Palais de Rei ..........25 km
Day 3 Palais de Rei to Melide ..................15 km
Day 4 Melide (Arzúa) to Salceda ..............15 km
Day 5 Salceda to Lavacolla ......................20 km
Day 6 Lavacolla to Santiago.....................10 km

My understanding is that most or all of the albergues in Pamplona will be closed for the duration of San Fermin, with the festival getting underway on Sunday, July 6 this year. I'll be starting from St Jean on July 3 and, with a stop in Orisson booked to split the hike to Roncesvalles, I expect to reach Pamplona on that very day. That being the case, I'm steeling myself for a little fiesta-related chaos, but plan to walk through and have reserved a bunk in Zariquiequi for that night. Depending upon your own schedule, leaving St Jean on July 1 suggests you should reach Pamplona pre-San Fermin. What I have no idea about is whether the albergues close immediately before San Fermin or if they shut the doors a few days or a week beforehand.

Hi Mark2012 - thanks for your reply. I actually noticed your similar question in another post on this forum :)

Actually I didn't realize San Fermin was taking place and was originally going to leave on the same day as you - so I was trying to push my schedule ahead a couple of days... but it's turning out to be logistically quite difficult what with other travel plans. It seems like you have a really good strategy worked out - also splitting up that hill seems really smart. Would you mind if I shamelessly copied your itinerary for those days?! Chances are I'll see you on the route so that would be a beer I owe you.

Dear everyone,
I will start my Camino on July 27, 2014, very excited.
Can you give comments on my final itinerary?
It seems that my proposed itinerary is only 107 km, hopefully, I can get the La Compostela !!

Sarria - Santiago

Day 1 Sarria to Portomarin..................... 22 km
Day 2 Portomarin to Palais de Rei ..........25 km
Day 3 Palais de Rei to Melide ..................15 km
Day 4 Melide (Arzúa) to Salceda ..............15 km
Day 5 Salceda to Lavacolla ......................20 km
Day 6 Lavacolla to Santiago.....................10 km

Littlelady Angel,

Your itinerary looks fine! Be sure to get at least two stamps each day
in your Pilgrim Passport or Credential in order to obtain the Compostella.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Mark2012 - thanks for your reply. I actually noticed your similar question in another post on this forum :)

Actually I didn't realize San Fermin was taking place and was originally going to leave on the same day as you - so I was trying to push my schedule ahead a couple of days... but it's turning out to be logistically quite difficult what with other travel plans. It seems like you have a really good strategy worked out - also splitting up that hill seems really smart. Would you mind if I shamelessly copied your itinerary for those days?! Chances are I'll see you on the route so that would be a beer I owe you.

Not at all. Copy away! See you out there! :)

Oh, and if you plan to 'split the hill', you'll need to try to make a reservation for that night. You might get lucky just walking up to Hunto or Orisson, but most who stay there pre-book, because slots are limited. Generally, I prefer not to reserve bunks along the way, but it makes sense to do so in this instance... and when dealing with the implications of San Fermin. Once I move beyond Zariquiequi, my hope/expectation would be that I won't pre-book albergue slots from that point onwards.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And I start this very tuesday! I know that's long before you will enter the camino, but I just have to write it down! Buen Camino to You everybody! I will have my 16 yr doughter whith me, and for the first week my aunt (mothers sister) we will not rusch so... Maybe I vill be lucky to meet some of you anyway. We start from Pamplona. We expect to reach (Santiago) Muxia... 1st of August, something

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, and if you plan to 'split the hill', you'll need to try to make a reservation for that night. You might get lucky just walking up to Hunto or Orisson, but most who stay there pre-book, because slots are limited. Generally, I prefer not to reserve bunks along the way, but it makes sense to do so in this instance... and when dealing with the implications of San Fermin. Once I move beyond Zariquiequi, my hope/expectation would be that I won't pre-book albergue slots from that point onwards.

Thanks for the advice! I sent the two hostels an email - no reply so far. Did you have to call them up to reserve your bed? My Spanish is essentially nil... I hope they understand a little English or GCSE level French/German.

Thanks for the advice! I sent the two hostels an email - no reply so far. Did you have to call them up to reserve your bed? My Spanish is essentially nil... I hope they understand a little English or GCSE level French/German.

I sent an email to Orisson. I wrote it in English, but also used google translate to send a French language version too. Ditto for Zariquiequi, but swapping French for Spanish!

With Orisson, generally it takes a few days to hear back from them, but it would be unusual not to hear back from them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back