• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

June 2011: Nuremberg-León-Santiago de Compostela-Finisterre

Eurasian68

For years, I have been dreaming about walking the Camino - but something always "got in the way". Last year, I made my first pilgrimage across South Korea, travelling to and from Buddhist temple/nunneries for 5 weeks, until I finally reached a temple in Soraksan Mountains, where my father visited and took a picture in 1954. It was an amazing experience to stand at the exact spot where he once stood...

This year, I hear the Camino calling - but I am not able to take more leave from work. Therefore, I shall be walking from León to Cape Finisterre. I have just started to plan the trip and the first "problem" I encounter is the flight to León. I realized it is quite expensive to fly directly to León from Nuremberg or Munich (Germany). So I thought maybe I should fly to SCQ and then take a bus? or train? Or is it cheaper to fly to Madrid and then take the train/bus to León? Or... or... or....

Any (other) suggestions/advice from those who had been there?

Buen Camino to all who is on their way currently.

Regards to all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you fly on Iberia you can fly to Madrid and on to Valladolid - http://www.Alsa.es run a direct service from Valladolid airport to Leon - takes 1h45, and then fly back from Santiago.
Check the Multi-route box when searching for a flight online or ask your travel agent.

Is it possible to delete the post?

Iwoke up this morning with a decision. I will begin at SJPdP. It feels good. It feels right.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes. Log in. Go to your post. Click on "Edit" on your post, then click the delete icon.

Right under where it says "EDIT POST" there's a line that says "Delete post:", and then a check box. Just check the box, and then press the "Submit" button.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The only problem is that if you delete your post the other posts won't make any sense - I suggest you leave it there - who knows your question might be just the one that someone else is too scared to ask. Best of luck with you plans, Janet

Visiting the same place your father visited 55 years ago must be a moving experience.

My grandfather fought in the second battle of Ypres in Belgium, April 1915. Just recently I realized the 100th anniversary of the battle is coming soon. It that would be a good time to visit.

This is not a place to go and proclaim victories. It is a sombre battlefield and the thousands of graves declare the lunacy of war generally and in particular the tragedy of a war of attrition.

Back to the Camino.
Enjoy doing "the whole thing" from SJPP. It is not really the official start of the camino, but so many people start there and speak of SJPP to Santiago as the "whole camino."

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Skilsaw. Just a quick reference to your post about Ypres. It is in a roundabout way to with pilgrimage, though the via Franicgena rather than the Camino.

It is my intention to one day walk that path, and when I do I intend to make my way down through the Western Front visiting the cemeteries along the way and walking that path where there was so much tragedy. I intend to do it at a time so that I can finish at Villers Brettenoux on April 25th - a day of solemn significance for my country, and where there is a dawn service on that day. I would then rejoin the via Francigena at Reims and continue on to Rome. However this is just one plan for the future - there are a couple more Caminos to walk in the meantime! regards, Janet

Yes, it was indeed a very touching, heartfelt and personal experience. I began my journey where the German Red Cross Hospital was located in 1954 in Busan, South Korea - my dad worked there back then. Today, a memorial stone stands there. I wrote a letter to my dad (he passed away 24 years ago) and to all victims of the Korean war and placed a some flowers before I began my journey. This was a moment of grief, but at the same time, I felt an undescribale feeling of peace within me. Due to some coincidence, my journey was published in the Korean press and the Korean Red Cross found me in the middle of my journey. They invited me to their office and honoured my dad officially with a medal - I was very touched. They were very interested in all the old pictures I carried with me of the hospital - my dad was a passionate photographer in his free time.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back