• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Keep Walking

William Garza

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, The Jakobsweg
Because someday
We may not be able to remember that we have walked
That
We werr young and old and full of life and vigor and...desires
Someday they will pass..these times of desire..
And cold will be the hearthfires of the imagination
No.. instigation of rambunctious rogue wild hares to tramp and see whats around the bend...
No desire to see around the river bend
To put ones feet in strange clear waters
Cooling the soul

We may
Forget..
To be lost in some long and far away place
Where we danced and laughed and loved with the abandon of those whose time,horizons and possibility was endless
To be be looked at with pity
Sadness
Or scorn

For having outlived our time
Our
Usefulness
Taken from us keys to freedoms we once had
For our own good
Locked away
Out from sight
Out of mind they say.

But we were young
And traveled roads unsung
Lost
And found among ourselves
We the folk of the Way.

Pity the man who has not escaped the comfort zone into the wild lands of his imagination
Those nations..strange and new to find that he is born anew in this far off Jerusalem

To have drank wine among fellow convicts of the world at large..those wardens of good beget..who only know cities limits cast
"Those" eyes..ohh..i see...

Lest we forget we were young
They may forget we were.

Traveler
Pilgrim
Human

Go out onto the Ways so that you may not fade quietly into the grey
But be remembered every time a glass meets another
And laughter rings out of the darkness
Welcoming those who know

Off you go Pilgrim!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
O I would go
How gladly I would go
Were feet and limbs not aching with old age.

O I would go
Relive those times now past
When walking on the old, well trodden paths
Gave me such joy

O I would go
Meet up again with fellow travellers
Enjoy their company – their love – whilst on the road
Leading me onward to that golden shrine
Of Santiago.

O I would go
To walk again those quiet ways
Beside the rivers, over Roman paths
Under the welcome sun of northern Spain
To Santiago.

O I would go
But now the years have come
When pain prevents the onward path
To Santiago.

Yet even now, I bless those travellers
Still in their young or middle years
Who walk the paths pre-trodden by a million feet
To Santiago.

© Stephen Nicholls

Last edited:
From one older addict to others Godspeed and Ultreia!

"...and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
Ulysses
by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, thank you all for these beautiful poems! I am walking the Camino this year having had recent cancer treatment but still with, you know, cancer. I realise not only mentally but emotionally and spiritually that is a blessing to be fit and well enough to do this, and there will surely come a time when I would like to go, but will not be able to. Getting a bit choked up, actually. Anyway, thank you for sharing these poignant reflections.

Beautifully scripted guys. The Camino is indeed such a wonderful 'journey', and so hard to describe to anyone that hasn't taken that journey. You have some incredible memories. You have lived, loved, enjoyed and shared some amazing times. Your wonderful words will give great encouragement and anticipation to those still to journey, and give a 'push' to those who've been ... and maybe consider 'another round'? Thank you for sharing.

Because someday
We may not be able to remember that we have walked
That
We werr young and old and full of life and vigor and...desires
Someday they will pass..these times of desire..
And cold will be the hearthfires of the imagination
No.. instigation of rambunctious rogue wild hares to tramp and see whats around the bend...
No desire to see around the river bend
To put ones feet in strange clear waters
Cooling the soul

We may
Forget..
To be lost in some long and far away place
Where we danced and laughed and loved with the abandon of those whose time,horizons and possibility was endless
To be be looked at with pity
Sadness
Or scorn

For having outlived our time
Our
Usefulness
Taken from us keys to freedoms we once had
For our own good
Locked away
Out from sight
Out of mind they say.

But we were young
And traveled roads unsung
Lost
And found among ourselves
We the folk of the Way.

Pity the man who has not escaped the comfort zone into the wild lands of his imagination
Those nations..strange and new to find that he is born anew in this far off Jerusalem

To have drank wine among fellow convicts of the world at large..those wardens of good beget..who only know cities limits cast
"Those" eyes..ohh..i see...

Lest we forget we were young
They may forget we were.

Traveler
Pilgrim
Human

Go out onto the Ways so that you may not fade quietly into the grey
But be remembered every time a glass meets another
And laughter rings out of the darkness
Welcoming those who know

Off you go Pilgrim!
William, your words struck a cord in me...... I who have walked the Camino Frances twice before. With your blessing may I please share what you have so eloquently put into words the very things I too have felt and experienced?
Steve

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back