A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Kickoff in Irun

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

CTreacy

TraleeTrekker
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2017)
Primitivo(2018)
Norte(2019 ?)
I will arrive early evening in Biarritz on Tue 27th Aug. Given that the private hostel in Irun has closed now, what is the likelhood of getting a bed in the pilgrims hostel at 8pm in the evening. I do not really see any hostels between Bayonne, Biarritz, Saint Jean de Luz or Hendaye, Irun does seem to be the best place to start anyway to avoid an hour long bus/train journey first thing in the morning

Craig Towers

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago
I will arrive early evening in Biarritz on Tue 27th Aug. Given that the private hostel in Irun has closed now, what is the likelhood of getting a bed in the pilgrims hostel at 8pm in the evening. I do not really see any hostels between Bayonne, Biarritz, Saint Jean de Luz or Hendaye, Irun does seem to be the best place to start anyway to avoid an hour long bus/train journey first thing in the morning
One thing you could consider is staying San Sebastián. Catch train back to irun early in the morning. Not far and cheap. They start early. Irun is a bit of a dump. 😂😂😂. San Sebastián is fun. You can leave you pack and just day pack it up the hill. Bit easier start to day one. Just a thought.

CTreacy

TraleeTrekker
Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese (2017)
Primitivo(2018)
Norte(2019 ?)
One thing you could consider is staying San Sebastián. Catch train back to irun early in the morning. Not far and cheap. They start early. Irun is a bit of a dump. 😂😂😂. San Sebastián is fun. You can leave you pack and just day pack it up the hill. Bit easier start to day one. Just a thought.
Yes, I was thinking of doing that. Given accom is tight I may just do that. Not too much fun expected with a 6am start. Thanks

Csutak

Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances, Norte, Ingles, Primitivo, Aragones, Vasco, SanSalvador, Fisterre, Muxia - more than once
The albergue will be full, I guess. But the hospitalero might help you. About 8 years ago he suggested that I stay at a youth hostel (quite far from the albergue) and I followed his advice. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the hostel.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, CTreacy,
There are a couple of cheap pensiones in central Irún where many pilgrims have stayed. Gronze lists them all. That would certainly be cheaper and easier than sleeping in San Sebastián and taking the train back. Prices in San Sebastián are MUCH higher than in Irún. I have slept in the Bowling and Gema. Both are basic and clean.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Definitely check out Gronze.com and if you have an other Norte apps or guides you may find a wider selection of places to sleep. As someone else send your chances of getting a bed at 8:00PM are slim to none. I would definitely download an app like Wisepilgrim or Buen Camino because the choices of accommodations are fewer than the CF and the more sources of information you have the better.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%