• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kitchen Facilities on Camino Portuguese

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Hello,
My husband and I are now in the early stages of making plans to walk the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago starting at the end of September 2017. We like to stay in albergues with kitchen facilities allowing us to prepare our own meals, whenever possible. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the availability of albergues with equipped kitchens along this route? Any insights would be appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We like to stay in albergues with kitchen facilities

Hi, the only albergue I can remember that has a kitchen on the Camino Portugués is in Alvaiazere. Albergaria Pinheiro. (Highly recommend, by the way.) Hopefully someone can think of another one.

Oh wait, yes, there is another place. In Ponte de Lima. The Encanada Restaurant rents out rooms (also highly recommend, have stayed there twice) in a small apartment block, which has a fully equipped kitchen. I haven’t stayed at the albergue in Ponte de Lima; maybe someone else can comment on that.

Porrino albergue has a kitchen, but you are now in Galicia, and the Xunta albergues, as you probably know, have kitchens, but no equipment.

Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Lindam, the excellent albergue Amigos da Montanha just before the bridge into Barcelos has cooking facilities, as does the Albergue de Peregrinos at Ponte de Lima, O Refuxio de la Jerezana, at Redondela, the Albergue Amigos do Portugues at Pontevedra. Bom Caminho!

Is it only I who feels that the kitchen privilege in albergues is slowly becoming a thing of the past? - probably succomb to rising costs of running an albergue? I have seen many albergues that still have a kitchen, but they do not allow cooking by removing EVERYTHING in there. Energy is not cheap in Europe, and sort of commercial use of non-commercial model microwave oven requires frequent replacement or services. I would say do not expect to cook along the way, but if you happened to find one, go ahead and take advantage of it. But don't carry foods spices, etc. that you may not be able to use. Backpack with the things you know you will use is heavy enough. Albergues with a useable kitchen are there but only a handful and far apart.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Lindam--I am a bit late in joining this conversation, but it looks like you still have a bit of time before your trip. I am leaving from Lisbon in about 10 days to walk the CP and with many food issues, was planning on trying to do my own cooking whenever possible. I have been trying to do some research between looking up accommodations listed in John Brierley's guide, Via Lusitana, and whatever websites I pull up in search of kitchens. One site seems fairly thorough: http://wisepilgrim.com/camino_portugues_lisbon_to_porto. I think the term "kitchen" may be applied loosely in certain places (sink and microwave only). I have emailed certain places I'm planning on staying and have gotten some quick replies, so perhaps you could consider doing this before their seasons get into full swing and they are too busy to respond? I will post again when I finish my journey and can let you know what success I meet with.

New (2015) albergue next to a hotel in Arcade has the most amazing kitchen (and fabulous bunks too) - worth dropping in just for a look even if you don't stay.

I have been unable to locate a place called Arcade along the route. Where is it? Thanks for your help!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am guessing that local bars and restaurants encourage Albergues to close their kitchens down. Is a real shame, and have seen this happen with backpacker hostels too around the world.

Of course if you are on a very tight budget or a vegan/vegetarian, then this lack of kitchen can be a real problem, particularly in Spain.

Hello,
My husband and I are now in the early stages of making plans to walk the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago starting at the end of September 2017. We like to stay in albergues with kitchen facilities allowing us to prepare our own meals, whenever possible. I am wondering if anyone can comment on the availability of albergues with equipped kitchens along this route? Any insights would be appreciated.

The albergue in Alpriate has a good kithen with good equipment. You would have to bring food, however, since Alpriate has no store. Bring from Lisbon or Sacavem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have just returned from my CP, Lisboa to Santiago, and had great luck with kitchens. If a place did not have a kitchen but had markets nearby, dinner was often fresh fruit, olives, and a cheese sandwich (and a candy bar, of course). Here's a list:

Vila Franca Xira: Hostel DP, which has a shared kitchen
Valada: Casa de Valada. Full kitchen with a mini market across the street
Santarem: Santarem Hostel with shared kitchen
Golega: Inn Golega with full kitchen
Tomar: Hostel 2300 Thomar with full kitchen and nice dining area
Alvaiazere: Albergaria Pinheiros with full kitchen (gas stove)
Alvorge: Albergue Igreja--microwave only with very limited equipment (not much glass, mostly plastic)
Santa Clara (Coimbra): Convento Santa Clara with great kitchen (gas stove), no fridge
Mealhada: Albergue Hilario did NOT have a kitchen, but the manager was more than happy to allow me to use their private kitchen. There are no markets nearby (albergue is beyond town center).
Agueda: O Ribeirinho rents rooms above restaurant, so no kitchen, but nice restaurant!
Albergaria-a-Velha: Alb. Rainha D. Teresa with full kitchen and lots of pots and pans!
Sao Joao Da Madeira: Santa Casa Da Misericordia does not have a kitchen, but restaurants and markets nearby
Grijo: Alb. S. Salvador de Grigo with full kitchen and tiny market right next door
Porto: YES Hostel with full kitchen, but awesome wine bar next door that had an amazing cheese and fruit plate not to miss!
Vilarinho: Casa Familia Vidal was a private room, so no kitchen, but markets nearby for fresh food
Barcelos: Alb. Cidade de Barcelos had full kitchen, but no cooking pots (a deeper skillet worked for boiling water for pasta just fine)
Ponte De Lima: Alb. de Peregrinos with full kitchen with lots of pots and pans
Redondela: Alb. Casa da Torre with tiny kitchen (two burner stove with one small skillet), but also a microwave and mini fridge to supplement
Caldas de Reis: Posada Dona Urraca had small kitchen, water supply in a different room
Teo: Teo Xunta had a small, but very functional kitchen--no markets close by

I did stay in a couple hotels that I did not list. Almost all markets were closed on Sundays, so keep that in mind if you are planning to cook every day. Spices were a rare treat to find, so since they are light, I'd recommend packing your own. If you are a wine drinker, bring a corkscrew, as some kitchens did not supply these. Although I did find cutting boards in most albergues, I did not use them for fear of sanitation issues, so you could possibly pack your own mini board. Finally, even though I walked during the slow season, there was often a line up to cook in the kitchen as the evening wore on. If I was in the kitchen to make dinner by 6pm, this wasn't a problem.

Hope this helps everyone with kitchen concerns on the CP!

Thank you so much for your detailed notes. This will be very helpful for planning our upcoming walk on the CP!

cjwfit thank you for your list of alberques with kitchens. I am interested in places with kitchens because I am on a low sodium diet and need to prepare my food as much as possible.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back