Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Kitchens in the Albergues in the Camino de Invierno

Filippo05ff

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan, Frances, Invierno. April - May 2024
Hello everyone! Me and my girlfriend are now in Reliegos, and more or less in a week we will start the Camino de Inverno. We try to cook for us every time we can, so we were wondering if the albergues in the inverno are usable. Does somebody have any suggestion about?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Filippo05ff - I’ve included kitchen descriptions for most stages in my live from the Camino thread. Most are fairly well equipped (Villavieja, Xagoaza, Monforte, Rodeiro, Lalin, Silleda) until you hit the typical Xunta albergues (Diamondi, Bandeiras, Outeiro). If you have a knife and ideally a plate for cutting you can still get by with making sandwiches. Also, what’s always easy to make is Empanadas (try getting them from Panaderias because the supermarket variants aren’t usually great) with a quick tomato, pepper, cucumber salad on the side. We found salt in pretty much all kitchens and quite a few also had things like oil and vinegar. Lemons are cheap so you can easily substitute one if you don’t have access to vinegar.

@Filippo05ff - I’ve included kitchen descriptions for most stages in my live from the Camino thread. Most are fairly well equipped (Villavieja, Xagoaza, Monforte, Rodeiro, Lalin, Silleda) until you hit the typical Xunta albergues (Diamondi, Bandeiras, Outeiro). If you have a knife and ideally a plate for cutting you can still get by with making sandwiches. Also, what’s always easy to make is Empanadas (try getting them from Panaderias because the supermarket variants aren’t usually great) with a quick tomato, pepper, cucumber salad on the side. We found salt in pretty much all kitchens and quite a few also had things like oil and vinegar. Lemons are cheap so you can easily substitute one if you don’t have access to vinegar.
We bought a small inexpensive pot at one of the Asian stores for use in the Xunta albergues last winter (did not work at one albergue that had an induction cooktop though, it worked in the rest). We carried it on a carabiner clip on the outside of the pack.

A small 2 person paella pan was also used by two pilgrims we met and they used it to cook other things in it as well (not just paella, but stirfried vegies, meats, etc.) I carry a plastic cup for coffee or soups and a spork for noodles, yogurt, etc. Keep that in mind if you want to cook in the Xunta kitchens.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We bought a small inexpensive pot
That’s a pretty good idea! We always carry durable plastic plates, forks, spoons and a decent knife. They weight next to nothing and have come in super handy. Also some herbs and spices in falcon tubes have improved our albergue cooking ventures significantly.

It’s a shame really, imagine the storm one could cook up in a space like the Diamondi albergue with ones pilgrim group if the kitchen was well equipped. I followed your thread last time you volunteered as a hospitaliera and took note of some of your recipes!

Thank you guys for the advices! Very helpful! We already have plastic bowls, and we found them so useful. Maybe a pot could be an idea!

Our plan hit some of those stages (diomondi, bandeiras). Let's see what we can do!:)
Thanks for the advices!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our plan hit some of those stages (diomondi, bandeiras). Let's see what we can do!:)
Thanks for the advices!
Swap Bandeira for Silleda and you got yourself a fantastically equipped kitchen.

Diamondi has microwaves and a stovetop - but not even a glass or fork in sight. What worked well here was a pre-prepared tortilla that only needs microwave and a salad. Something like this here: https://www.dia.es/pizzas-y-platos-preparados/tortillas-y-empanadas/p/262522

We used the pan to cook hard boiled eggs last winter as that is what the students wanted, but you could cook noodles or vegetables or soup in it, too. I thought the small paella pan was pretty genius as I watched the two brothers cook a lot of different things in it besides paella and they also carried it with a carabiner clipped to a pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very useful information as I understand several of the albergues are in areas with no restaurants nearby. Thank you.

Hello everyone! And update about the kitchens from a Pobra do Brollon. Since now I confirm all that was said. In the list we add Vilamartin de Valdeorras. It has only two pans and a microwave. You can manage something but it's not so confortable. Here in Pobra the albergue is really good but you have only two microwave and no pots or pans, neither a stovetop, but if you want there is the option to have dinner (they bring in the albergue the food from a locale restaurant) and breakfast for a total of 25€ (bed included)

And your thread since now was really helpful! Well done! Thank you so much!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, seems to be an overall policy in all Xunta albergues to encourage pilgrims to eat somewhere else although the kitchens themselves are usually well equipped with appliances.

I have seen and used fridge, nice stovetop, sinks, microwave. Some places even have multiple cooktops and multiple kitchens (Melide, O'Pedrouzo). Nothing to cook with or eat on or with though. Also topnotch washers and dryers for a low cost and often the huge industral-sized ones. I always bring a knife, microwavable cup and a spork at a minimum. Last year added a sauce pan to hang on my pack for cooking with the students. I cook at home and I have diabetes so I just can't always do a menu del dia or pilgrim meal every day. Too many carbs in most cases.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back