• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Knee woes

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
Just got home from my second round of physical therapy. I have struggled a bit with sore feet, but a tendonitis in the knee had me limping a couple weeks ago. I almost shed a tear when I was told if I want a good chance of doing the Camino, I had to start back at 2 miles day (and no pack) last week.

I have the OK to do 2.5 miles with a pack today, tomorrow and up it to five miles on Sunday. Then back on Monday to check things out.

As challenging to hold back as it is, I am following the doctor’s notes and exercises to the tee. I also requested reservations in Orison at the end of day one just to play it safe.

Things are certainly improving and strengthening supporting muscles with a stretchy band, but oh the frustration.

Having bought my airfare last November, I am pretty much committed given the cost. It seems like the Camino is getting bigger.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just got home from my second round of physical therapy. I have struggled a bit with sore feet, but a tendonitis in the knee had me limping a couple weeks ago. I almost shed a tear when I was told if I want a good chance of doing the Camino, I had to start back at 2 miles day (and no pack) last week.

I have the OK to do 2.5 miles with a pack today, tomorrow and up it to five miles on Sunday. Then back on Monday to check things out.

As challenging to hold back as it is, I am following the doctor’s notes and exercises to the tee. I also requested reservations in Orison at the end of day one just to play it safe.

Things are certainly improving and strengthening supporting muscles with a stretchy band, but oh the frustration.

Having bought my airfare last November, I am pretty much committed given the cost. It seems like the Camino is getting bigger.
Hi, hope you have a succesful recovery.
Wish you well, Peter.

Transporting your pack and just hiking with a daypack is an option if your knee starts troubling you.

You can also lighten your pack by donating things or by sending some things home. I did both on the CF.

As others have frequently suggested, the use of trekking poles takes weight off the knees. I have used them for about 15 years and wouldn't hike without them.

Buen Camino.

Tom (scheduled for knee replacement in September)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I agree with taking it easy in the beginning.
If you start VERY slow, take lots of rests, hire pack transport, you may be ok.
Just so you know, it's best to hire a taxi at the beginning of your day, rather than trying to get one mid-etapa, when you could be out in the middle of nowhere.
You can hire a taxi or catch a local bus really inexpensively to take you half way or more, then walk.
If you do this for the first couple of weeks, gradually increasing your distance, it might help.

I've taken people in my groups who literally took taxi and bus nearly the entire route, and they had a great time.
Wonderful places for rest days are Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, and Sarria, where there is LOTS to see.

Good luck and have a Buen Camino!

I'm in a similar situation but with a little more time. I had a stress fracture that was slow to heal and am preparing for an October camino.

Have you read @Robo 's experience in injuring himself shortly before departure, after a long preparation period? Here is that thread. It becomes a different kind of challenge, doesn't it?

Hi WldWil,
I am so sorry to hear this. I had knee pain the last two weeks of my camino this year, and am now in physical therapy. Diagnosis was the same as yours -- patellar tendonitis. Three weeks later and my knee is still feeling funny, so this is something that can last for a while.

If yours hurts the way mine hurts, the descents are the killers. There are three descents in the early days that could be really bad for you -- going down into Roncesvalles, the descent into Zubiri, and the descent from the Alto de Perdon. If your knee is still bad when you leave, you might want to consider starting in Puente la Reina. Or start in Pamplona and do the alternative walk that avoids the Alto de Perdon, which mspath has described https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/avoiding-the-alto-de-perdon.17036/

Fingers crossed for you, buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In addition to what Laurie suggested above you could avoid the descent into Roncesvalles by walking facing traffic on the verges of the N135 road while following the Valcarlos alternate route. Next day you might leave Roncesvalles following the regular CF path as far as the Alto de Erro. At Erro walk the N135 verges down to Zubiri to avoid slippery shale, etc.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, WldWil. It's very helpful to know that others are also plagued with pre-Camino injuries. I'm also in training for my September 2015 pilgrimage and started experiencing pain in my right shin. Panicked that it was shin splints, I went to a great physical therapist who diagnosed me with tendinitis of the Tibialis Anterior and showed me how I walk was contributing to muscle strain. That's a much better diagnosis than shin splints, but I've had to curtail my training schedule while I let my leg heal. It's SO FRUSTRATING. I wonder now how this will affect my ability to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Will I be fit enough? I guess I can always stop in Orissa, or take the alternate route. I'm also appreciative of everyone's recommendations to go slow and take many rests. I think that will be pivotal for those of us prone to injury.

The interesting thing is, I really didn't think I was pushing myself in my training. I guess it just goes to show how important it is listen to your body!

Just a follow up. I was able to do 5 miles on Sunday and will be working towards 8 by this weekend. The therapist has me focusing on gluts, core, abs and knee exercises. The pain is greatly reduced. I guess we should be doing more than just walking. It probably help cutting out the golf and martial arts for my knees as well until I get back home. I have been going in twice a week and 3 more appointments until I leave.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good news. Hope you continue to mend so you can complete your camino.

If I may, I'll repeat the advice about having your pack transported,( even if only for the first few days), and to consider the benefits of using poles.

Buen Camino

You may want to consider getting a knee brace, as well.

Last edited:
Just a follow up. I was able to do 5 miles on Sunday and will be working towards 8 by this weekend. The therapist has me focusing on gluts, core, abs and knee exercises. The pain is greatly reduced. I guess we should be doing more than just walking. It probably help cutting out the golf and martial arts for my knees as well until I get back home. I have been going in twice a week and 3 more appointments until I leave.

That is great news and I am happy to hear it!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bring a pair of elastic knee bands and walking poles. Buy a tube of Flogoprofen when you get to Spain.
The Camino will bring out all kinds of previous sports injuries from your past.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have had good results with acupuncture to aid in healing some repetitive injuries.

All the best to you.

Reservation confirmed for orrison today.

Does anyone bring an ace bandage and baggie to ice knees at night?

Hi Wldwil, I had problems with my lower leg on the VdlP last year and after walking ended each day I merely asked in the local bar for a glass of vino and my plastic bago be filled with ice. Any plastic bag works for an ice pack. They were more than happy to oblige and of course it was a lovely excuse for my vino tinto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, WldWil. It's very helpful to know that others are also plagued with pre-Camino injuries. I'm also in training for my September 2015 pilgrimage and started experiencing pain in my right shin. Panicked that it was shin splints, I went to a great physical therapist who diagnosed me with tendinitis of the Tibialis Anterior and showed me how I walk was contributing to muscle strain. That's a much better diagnosis than shin splints, but I've had to curtail my training schedule while I let my leg heal. It's SO FRUSTRATING. I wonder now how this will affect my ability to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Will I be fit enough? I guess I can always stop in Orissa, or take the alternate route. I'm also appreciative of everyone's recommendations to go slow and take many rests. I think that will be pivotal for those of us prone to injury.

The interesting thing is, I really didn't think I was pushing myself in my training. I guess it just goes to show how important it is listen to your body!
Hi Jeanette, I too am walking September/October. For the first time in my life, I experienced knee pain while training, but to my good fortune, was referred a wonderful sports chiropractor (and extremely knowledgable in Chinese medicine). He treated it with what I think most are calling 'TK tape' which works on the fascia. On the third day, I was 90% improved. Today it is still good with just a tinge of tenderness at the knee joint, so I walk with a pair of iPow knee bands and have found no further problems. But we know the true test is yet to come. Wish you Buen Camino. Maggie

Movinmaggie, can you post how you been taping your feet?

I was cutting a piece the long ways putting it in on each side of the feet and one across right behind the toes.

Movinmaggie, can you post how you been taping your feet?

I was cutting a piece the long ways putting it in on each side of the feet and one across right behind the toes.
Hi wldwil, it's not my feet, it was my knee that I was treating here at home while training. Hard to describe in detail, one piece in an arc either side of the knew cap, then one just under the knee cap straight across….if you Google TK tape, videos you should see lots of demonstrations. I'm not having a problem anymore, but plan on taking the tape for sure.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi wldwil, it's not my feet, it was my knee that I was treating here at home while training. Hard to describe in detail, one piece in an arc either side of the knew cap, then one just under the knee cap straight across….if you Google TK tape, videos you should see lots of demonstrations. I'm not having a problem anymore, but plan on taking the tape for sure.
Is this the product you're using, movinmaggie:
? Looks really useful, actually. I have another appointment with my PT next week and I'll ask her about it. I'm not experiencing any knee pain now, but I do feel some stiffness and I've had knee trouble in the past. Thanks for sharing this info!

Is this the product you're using, movinmaggie:
? Looks really useful, actually. I have another appointment with my PT next week and I'll ask her about it. I'm not experiencing any knee pain now, but I do feel some stiffness and I've had knee trouble in the past. Thanks for sharing this info!
Yes Jeanette, that's the tape. I think you'll find many are using this now. There is also another product that some are using and that is knee straps, I think put out by iPow. I do prefer that tape, especially now that I know how much it helped me.
Good luck…..

Just an update. Things were going great and after seeing the PT on Monday got to 8 miles a day mon, tues, and wed. Almost pain free except every couple miles needing a minute break. Then I went to my dads to help put a cap on the truck and was lifting it solo from the bed of the truck and twisted a little. I honestly forgot about the knee since I was feeling that good and just climbed in and lifted. It was 2 hours later when I realized what I did. I had to turn back at the mailbox when I went for my walk. I could almost weep.

The pain is present now, but reducing. I have to take 2-3 days off and then starting back at 5 miles. It should only be temporary and no real damage done, but will delay the progress. Honestly, it is as much mental right now as physical and I have not even got there yet. I fell like a teenage drama queen.

On the humorous side, I had to explain to my wife why I was shav.ing my leg for the KT tape

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh WldWil I am so sorry this happened. Believe me, I understand the mental part. Throughout my long lifetime…and I do mean
l o n g, I had never had anything like when my knee upended on me last month. What I observed was my mental reaction. Just the thought of being even a little bit incapacitated freaked me out. I had to really get a grip. Then this wonderful PT/chiropractor
applied the tape and I swear two days later, I was totally fine. The only time I sensed just a wee bit of tenderness, was in one of my yoga positions, but now it's great; like it never happened. But I won't assume anything, thus the KT tape is going with me, with instructions on how to apply it, but ONLY if I need to. I do so wish you a very speed healing from this incident….Maggie

I'm sorry to hear this WldWil, I do hope everything still works out for you.

You may want to consider getting a hinged knee brace, as well.

I enthusiastically recommend walking poles and a knee brace. I like the Bracoo Breathable Neoprene Knee Support because it is totally adjustable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've got my fingers crossed that Wldwil is off and doing fine on the Camino, but I have a new knee observation. I developed tendonitis in my knee this summer on my Camino, and though I stopped walking on July 14, the swelling is still not completely gone. I still have some pain walking downstairs. Luckily I was able to resume my exercise routine without interruption. I do the elliptical and commute on my bike, both of which are fine for my knee.

The somewhat surprising discovery for me has been that my problem may have been due in part to weaknesses in my quads. I use poles, have very well cusioned shoes, and try to zig zag down whenever I can, but this summer's descent from San Juan de la Pena to Santa Cruz de Seros was just a killer, especially when added on to some other big descents on the Camino Catalan and Aragones. I had assumed my quad muscles were in fine shape because I do a vigorous workout on the elliptical for an hour a day and bike at least 5 miles a day -- but no! A test showed that I have great endurance but little strength in those muscles, so the downhills can really be hard on my body. So I have now embarked on a serious "quad strengthening" regime and am hoping this will mean that next year's Camino brings no repeat of this year's knee tendonitis. Buen camino, Laurie

I've got my fingers crossed that Wldwil is off and doing fine on the Camino, but I have a new knee observation. I developed tendonitis in my knee this summer on my Camino, and though I stopped walking on July 14, the swelling is still not completely gone. I still have some pain walking downstairs. Luckily I was able to resume my exercise routine without interruption. I do the elliptical and commute on my bike, both of which are fine for my knee.

The somewhat surprising discovery for me has been that my problem may have been due in part to weaknesses in my quads. I use poles, have very well cusioned shoes, and try to zig zag down whenever I can, but this summer's descent from San Juan de la Pena to Santa Cruz de Seros was just a killer, especially when added on to some other big descents on the Camino Catalan and Aragones. I had assumed my quad muscles were in fine shape because I do a vigorous workout on the elliptical for an hour a day and bike at least 5 miles a day -- but no! A test showed that I have great endurance but little strength in those muscles, so the downhills can really be hard on my body. So I have now embarked on a serious "quad strengthening" regime and am hoping this will mean that next year's Camino brings no repeat of this year's knee tendonitis. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie my PT/chiropractor suggests good ol' fashion squats for this….maybe add them to your regular routine? If you do, remember to squat very slowly down and come up very slowly. It couldn't hurt. (at least I hope it doesn't:>)

I just posted live from the camino. I would say small miracle. The Camino continues to heal me.

being in website in technology I want to avoid them. Have only had a sent 10 emails for things work in 8 days is incredible mail.

I will build a website upon my return. Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and advice

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This has been an incredible thread for me, though I realize it is not very current. I am training to walk the Camino Frances in April, 2016. 6 days ago I fell on a mountain trail and landed on my knee. I limped the two miles to the trailhead and iced my knee when I got home. I have never experienced this type of injury before. To cut to the chase - I went to Urgent Care the next day - no fracture or torn muscles, just a big bruise and swollen knee. I was put in a leg brace, ice therapy and bed rest. When I saw my own doctor 3 days later she released me to start walking again. The first two days I walked 2 1/2 miles on city side walks. I do not have full mobility so I am walking with caution. Today I walked up a mountain trail. I did fine walking up, but coming down even with my walking poles I felt insecure - like I could easily fall. (afraid of tripping because of not having good mobility) I have an appointment for PT on Jan 7 but am wondering what I should do til then. Walk into my fear of falling, or be cautious and stay on level ground? Just wondering what more experienced walkers think . . . .

Walk on level ground if the doc approves it and wait for PT for anything more adventurous. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walk on level ground if the doc approves it and wait for PT for anything more adventurous. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post. It will be hard for me to wait for PT but I will REALLY consider it.

Another thing that can help on the down hills is to take small steps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another thing that can help on the down hills is to take small steps.
And zigzagging….both for up and down. This was in an earlier thread; I learned this from the kids in India where I volunteer. We went on an outing to one of most significant temples and had to climb 108 steps! It works. Less energy spent.

Another update... Stitches have been out for 4 weeks. I am up to 5k with no pain, but have not tried running yet. I hoe to buy my tickets for next year this week.

Another update... Stitches have been out for 4 weeks. I am up to 5k with no pain, but have not tried running yet. I hoe to buy my tickets for next year this week.
WldWil, glad to hear it's improving nicely……you'll be all set for next year and I'm sure pain-free.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Geri_San Diego adjusting your trekking stick technique may help. I have problems with a combination of almost no sight in one eye, no depth perception, bad kness and poor balance - faceplants my specialty! My best defence is the trekking sticks - going downhill I always keep the sticks moving ahead of my body - alternating each as I go - like the front legs of a quadriped (but with my head above the back legs). Sounds a bit odd but it allows me to "feel" the ground ahead, as well as take some weight.

Good luck with the healing and I'm sure you will be on the trail as you planned.

I developed tendonitis in my knee this summer on my Camino, and though I stopped walking on July 14, the swelling is still not completely gone. I still have some pain walking downstairs. Luckily I was able to resume my exercise routine without interruption. I do the elliptical and commute on my bike, both of which are fine for my knee.
Laurie, I've experienced two separate pains in the front of the knee --- patellofemoral pain syndrome (aka "Runner's Knee") and patellar tendinitis (aka "Jumper's Knee") --- from backpacking over the years. They are distinct issues, with distinct symptoms and treatments. Not sure if you've recovered or not, but my prayers for your health.

As an aid to other readers, there is information and exercises on both of these across the Internet, but I have found www.runnersconnect.net as a source of excellent help. They have a PDF called The Ultimate Guide to Running Injuries and another called Preventative Exercises for the Achilles, both of which have really good guidance on exercises for strengthening and treating. Using that information, I have been able to self-diagnose successfully (yes, that may mean I have a fool for a doctor), and when I've gone in for formal treatment or PT, the professional doctor has been right down the line with the guidance contained in the PDF. (However, none of this should be understood as advice to skip consultation with a doctor.)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.