Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Knitting on the Norte

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
One Camino Or The Other (Feb/March 2020)
One last question before I am on my way. Are there any knitters (or non-knitters!) who have found yarn shops along the Norte? There are so many on this forum that know so much, maybe some of you are knitters too!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'CP, Frances,Norte,Salv/prim;Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, Vdlp 2019>Táb/ Prt Levante 2020
Using the ‘search’ function; you can find most anything on this forum.
I had a memory that @Kiwi-family likes to knit .

Check out link to post by kiwi family

Also @Moorwalker and others in this link to what luxury items people carry on the camino

Refer post #82. And #21. Possibly more

If they haven’t actually mentioned the Norte - I’m thinking that Kiwi-family might know the answer anyway.

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
One last question before I am on my way. Are there any knitters (or non-knitters!) who have found yarn shops along the Norte? There are so many on this forum that know so much, maybe some of you are knitters too!
I'm a knitter but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I've found yarn stores in Seville and Barcelona so I'd be very surprised if larger towns didn't have yarn stores. I like knitting socks partly because carrying enough yarn for a pair weighs 100g or so, and a set of double-pointed needles are small enough to fit into a pocket.

Edited because my fingers appear not to know how to spell today.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Im not a knitter, but anyone traveling by plane would definately have to keep their knitting needles down in the hold...I once had a plastic knife with a rounded tip from a fast food restaurant confiscated from my backpack at the airport.

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
Im not a knitter, but anyone traveling by plane would definately have to keep their knitting needles down in the hold...I once had a plastic knife with a rounded tip from a fast food restaurant confiscated from my backpack at the airport.
That's not generally true any longer. Most airlines now permit knitting needles, especially if you use circulars or small DPNs. I haven't had any problems at all for some years now, although I always put a safety line through the last row of stitches just in case they get funny about it and i have to dump my needles.

WhiteLotus

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
I'm a knitter but I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. I've found yarn stores in Seville and Barcelona so I'd be very surprised if larger towns didn't have yarn stores. I like knitting socks partly because carrying enough yarn for a pair weighs 100g or so, and a set of double-pointed needles are small enough to fit into a pocket.

Edited because my fingers appear not to know how to spell today.
That's great. I am hoping to find some little village shops along the way. It's fun to knit things up with trip yarn. Great memories!

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had great luck flying with my needles with the exception of my flight to NYC a couple of weeks after 9/11. I get some of my best knitting done on airplanes. I don't dread the long haul flights so much when I make such good progress on a project!

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
That's not generally true any longer. Most airlines now permit knitting needles, especially if you use circulars or small DPNs. I haven't had any problems at all for some years now, although I always put a safety line through the last row of stitches just in case they get funny about it and i have to dump my needles.
Ahh, a lifeline is a great idea!

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I don't want to jinx myself, but I have had great luck flying with my needles with the exception of my flight to NYC a couple of weeks after 9/11. I get some of my best knitting done on airplanes. I don't dread the long haul flights so much when I make such good progress on a project!
Maybe I'll try bringing my collapsed hiking poles again next time and include a ball of yarn...that may just do the trick! 😉

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
I’m sorry I can’t answer your question about the Norte from experience and I don’t have time right now to do what I’ve done for other routes I’ve been on (but you can try it)....google yarn shop + name of town.
Like some of the other knitters I take a ball of sock yarn and circulars from home. I have also been known to buy yarn for a “camino blanket” in Santiago and Madrid post-walking.

dnaleonard

Camino(s) past & future
I’m sorry I can’t answer your question about the Norte from experience and I don’t have time right now to do what I’ve done for other routes I’ve been on (but you can try it)....google yarn shop + name of town.
Like some of the other knitters I take a ball of sock yarn and circulars from home. I have also been known to buy yarn for a “camino blanket” in Santiago and Madrid post-walking.
Oh yes, I’ll be googling the whole way. Was looking for any standouts that people may have come across. If you find a special one it usually sticks in your mind. I love your trip inspired blankets. So beautiful.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock