• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Krause on the Camino del Norte

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yesterday there was a two-hour downpour and today’s walking was muddy because of it. But the skies are blue and the walking is fantastic!
I am bringing my hiking sandals with me for my walk as well as my hiking shoes, do you think the route on your leg from Irun would be too muddy for me to consider my sandals and should I stick to hiking shoes?

I am bringing my hiking sandals with me for my walk as well as my hiking shoes, do you think the route on your leg from Irun would be too muddy for me to consider my sandals and should I stick to hiking shoes?
I wore hiking sandals for my entire Camino del Norte and Primitivo this year. They worked great in the mud because I could just hose them down at the end of the day and they dried much faster than shoes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Zarautz to Deba. A long day with amazing scenery.
I see you’ve got the very same Chaco sandals that I have bought specifically for this trip, that gives me a lot of reassurance as I’m still testing them out. Been wearing them a couple of weeks. Took a while to get the strapping in the right places ( and had a toe rub) but think they’re right now. Like you I was intending to wear socks with them. Hope you’re not getting too much rain. I start Tuesday. Photos look great

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the end of the walk today in Mendata.
Oh my God! Was there last week in the sunshine, but did have a very wet day walking earlier. That descent into Markina must have been something else.

Stay dry and keep that camera in a plastic bag!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Shazzza I am thrilled for you to do the Norte. I won’t lie - the first 8 days are tough (the up and down wears on your feet in a way that training didn’t prepare me for), but I have been deeply gratified. And continually amazed at the goodness and kindness of the locals and the other pilgrims.🧡

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where is your next stopping point? I’m now heading for Santalina del Mar. Was a Nice Albeurge in Boo de Piélagos Hope so agsin tonight

We are also on our way to Santillana Del Mar. We hope to stay at the convent, you?

We are also on our way to Santillana Del Mar. We hope to stay at the convent, are you?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apologies I only just saw your reply. I was too busy last night immersing myself in the beauty of Santillana del Mar. Had a good few hours exploring and walking up and down. I’m next in San Vicente de La Barquera. We may meet along the way as I say hi to everybody! Buen Camino and hope you’re having a good one

Great pics and they illustrate why the Spanish flock to the Norte coast. More great beaches to come though.

Apologies I only just saw your reply. I was too busy last night immersing myself in the beauty of Santillana del Mar. Had a good few hours exploring and walking up and down. I’m next in San Vicente de La Barquera. We may meet along the way as I say hi to everybody! Buen Camino and hope you’re having a good one
Hola Happy ... by any chance have you met two Australian brothers on the Norte - I think they are also in San Vincente tonight. One of their photos looked like someone that resembled your avatar photo. If you have met Michael and Terry - they are my brothers.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Santillana Del Mar to Cóbreces.

Attachments

• IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4097.jpeg
    IMG_4097.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Shazzza I am thrilled for you to do the Norte. I won’t lie - the first 8 days are tough (the up and down wears on your feet in a way that training didn’t prepare me for), but I have been deeply gratified. And continually amazed at the goodness and kindness of the locals and the other pilgrims.🧡
What would you have done differently to better prepare you for the up and down in the del Norte?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used Buen Camino, which shows those options.
Also, @peregrina2000 has a post from when she charted the tracks along the national coast trails in 2017. You can search for that thread “Santander to Boo” and I think all the options are listed in that. She posted a PDF, which was also very helpful. And as @Richmond Gardner said, Buen Camino app is very good.

A couple of days from Santillana Del Mar to Colombres. By the way, I can highly recommend the Casa de Peregrinos Colombres - Matej is an excellent host. You will be fortunate to stay here! 🧡

Attachments

• IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4510.jpeg
    IMG_4510.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4361.jpeg
    IMG_4361.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    932.5 KB · Views: 22
Hope your Camino going well. Not sure where you have been/ are staying in next few days but from what I’ve seen last few days I thought San Vincente, Llanes, and Ribadesella are particularly worth spending time in if you can. Hope all going well. I have been pushing myself too hard with mileage last 3 days so am dropping back to more manageable 14/15 mile stages from hereon.

Good morning, @Happyinharrogate. I am just leaving Colombres, as I wanted to take it more slowly and enjoy the towns and coastline. I’m only going to Pendueles today, as the coast is supposed to be worth the slow walk. Take care of yourself! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Photos from over the last few days. On Monday, I backtracked on the Camino from Colombres and walked the E9 to Pendueles to see some ancient ruins and more of the coast. It was a fabulous walk. Other photos are from Pendueles to Ribadesella.

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5074.jpeg
    IMG_5074.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.