• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ladies...Yoga leggings or hiking pants?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have been on three long distance Caminos and have always been very happy wearing my lightweight, polyester, loose fitting, comfy hiking pants that also wick rain water away and dry quickly when washed. I often have even slept in them in the albergues. They have an elastic waistband which is great for quickly pulling them down and then back up for outdoor bathroom breaks before someone would get an accidental peak of my bum.:oops:

Problem is, they have seen their best days and a replacement is on my mind. I notice on the trail that there is an increase in women wearing stretchy yoga leggings. I own a couple of pairs, but here are my concerns...1) Because they are made of stretchy knit fabrics it seems that if you were caught in rain they would absorb water like a sponge and not dry quickly. 2) There are no pockets, so I think I would miss them. 3) For bathroom breaks at home I always need to take the time to "readjust" them afterwards due to the stretchy knit fabric, and on the trails I want to be "up and walking" as quick as possible.

So, "I said all that to ask this" of you gals. For those who wear lightweight hiking pants or shorts, do you have a favorite brand and style? For those who wear yoga leggings, what do you say in regards to my concerns mentioned and would you wear them again?
Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Chris,
I have had the exact same question. Some of the threads were helpful, but in the end I wound up sticking with my hiking pants. I am happy to revisit the question, though, since I know that a lot of my camino buddies would never walk in anything else, and they weigh next to nothing. For me the concern is more one of not being used to walking around in clothing that sticks to my body. This is a good time of year to start obsessing about next year, though, so I'm hoping for more advice, too.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/running-tights-leggings.43352/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/gym-leggings-instead-of-hiking-pants.38475/

Thanks, Laurie, for responding and giving me links to some past threads on the subject.(I struggle even looking in the "archives", being even less tech savvy than you sometimes say you are, so I appreciate the help.) I'll take a look!

Also, since my next Camino is the LePuy in June, I wonder if I would maybe like wearing shorts exclusively. I always have taken one long pair and one shorts...and Hey, what about hiking skirts??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My favourite and most comfortable walking options are shorts (but not too short and with pockets) or a merino skirt/dress. Worn with leggings when the weather isn't too hot. I tend to keep my long pants for travelling or really cold weather.

Pockets are key, so no yoga pants for me.

With pockets I don't risk leaving my valuables in a bar if I forget the "bumbag". I also gon't have to go digging for my phone everytime I want to take a picutre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have recently bought a pair of shorts for walking, I chose Rab because they do light weight clothes... They are very comfortable and I sometimes walk in them in the UK but really on a camino they are my 'after walking' wear....
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c...MIn5uosur31QIVDeMbCh0ahQltEAQYBCABEgJqJPD_BwE
Any 'serious' walking is done in my Macabi skirt. I bought it originally for walking across Turkey, in remote places but it is so comfortable and practical I can't wear anything else now.
I think yoga pants are great because they weigh next to nothing but I wouldn't feel at ease walking in them.

Last edited:
Ladies my slant on this topic - I have done the last three caminos in 'skinny pants' and find them wonderful - light, dry quickly - if it is hot I use them as shorts and if it gets really cold two pairs are great. Okay so there are no pockets but I carry a small bag and some others use a waist bag. They are cheap and by the end of the camino I am so sick of them I have no problem with dumping them in the bin in Santiago - the ones I use only cost about $5 - how cheap is that - buen camino girls!!

These are my current favourite. Deep pockets, stretchy yoga waistband, slightly stretchy fabric, choice of inseam length (the short length fits me perfectly, at 5'4"), appropriate style for all occasions and activities.
Sounds good, C clearly, but what brand wraps all your favorites into one pant? I, too am 5'4"...well, 5'4 1/2". :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Doesn't answer your question, Chris, but neither. How about a skirt?
I wouldn't hike now in either pants or (horrors) leggings if you paid me to. A skirt is modest, comfortable, cool, and makes calls of nature much easier (and less revealing;)). Try it once and see. Who knows? You might be converted.
Lots of people use Macabi skirts which come with pockets...

For my first Camino I used Columbia Weekender Capris which came from REI. Lightweight, quick-drying and very comfy. Lots of pockets in useful places.

Since I tend to be someone who doesn't know when to leave well enough alone, I tried a combo of yoga leggings and Sierra Designs Capris for my second Camino. Sorry, I'm not tech saavy enough to provide the link on my phone. The capris were super comfy, have the stretchy waistband and slightly stretchy fabric - highly recommended. I also liked that they didn't scream "hiking pants" when I wear them around town.

With the leggings, yes you will need a fanny pack or the like. I got them in merino wool so that I would be less likely to get chilled if they got wet. Also very comfy and dried quickly.

This topic probably falls into it being a matter of personal preference. Hope some of this is helpful.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds good, C clearly, but what brand wraps all your favorites into one pant? I, too am 5'4"...well, 5'4 1/2". :)
Due to my lack of techiness, I didn't know I could click on your "bold" print word, but peregrina2000 came to my rescue and filled me in! Thanks for replying to me.

THANK YOU, ladies, for all your personal advise on what works well for you. I will look up all the links, ponder and mull over your input before making any final decisions. I appreciate every one of you who answered back! You all make this forum "the best"!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For my first Camino I used Columbia Weekender Capris which came from REI. Lightweight, quick-drying and very comfy. Lots of pockets in useful places.

Since I tend to be someone who doesn't know when to leave well enough alone, I tried a combo of yoga leggings and Sierra Designs Capris for my second Camino. Sorry, I'm not tech saavy enough to provide the link on my phone. The capris were super comfy, have the stretchy waistband and slightly stretchy fabric - highly recommended. I also liked that they didn't scream "hiking pants" when I wear them around town.

With the leggings, yes you will need a fanny pack or the like. I got them in merino wool so that I would be less likely to get chilled if they got wet. Also very comfy and dried quickly.

This topic probably falls into it being a matter of personal preference. Hope some of this is helpful.

Buen Camino
Those capris look nice. Here's a link.
https://sierradesigns.com/stretch-trail-capri/

I think some tights are very revealing unless you wear a longish top over them!!
On our Camino this year, there was a French woman who wore a dress every day. If it was cold she had tights underneath. Her dresses were lightweight- maybe merino.

I think some tights are very revealing unless you wear a longish top over them!!
On our Camino this year, there was a French woman who wore a dress every day. If it was cold she had tights underneath. Her dresses were lightweight- maybe merino.
I also wore a dress every day. Perfect for walking on warm to hot days. I added leggings when it was cold. I made my dresses from merino wool.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have 2 skirts, 1 Macabi and one Purple Rain. For cold days, merino wool tights. That's it. I am more comfortable in a skirt.
I would love a purple rain! The shop was closed before my last Camino, I think she was having a baby:)
You have reminded me for my next one to grab one!

Hi, Chris,
I have had the exact same question. Some of the threads were helpful, but in the end I wound up sticking with my hiking pants. I am happy to revisit the question, though, since I know that a lot of my camino buddies would never walk in anything else, and they weigh next to nothing. For me the concern is more one of not being used to walking around in clothing that sticks to my body. This is a good time of year to start obsessing about next year, though, so I'm hoping for more advice, too.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/running-tights-leggings.43352/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/gym-leggings-instead-of-hiking-pants.38475/
Hi Laurie, I just read the two community threads you forwarded earlier today. LOTS of additional information to think about!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been on three long distance Caminos and have always been very happy wearing my lightweight, polyester, loose fitting, comfy hiking pants that also wick rain water away and dry quickly when washed. I often have even slept in them in the albergues. They have an elastic waistband which is great for quickly pulling them down and then back up for outdoor bathroom breaks before someone would get an accidental peak of my bum.:oops:

Problem is, they have seen their best days and a replacement is on my mind. I notice on the trail that there is an increase in women wearing stretchy yoga leggings. I own a couple of pairs, but here are my concerns...1) Because they are made of stretchy knit fabrics it seems that if you were caught in rain they would absorb water like a sponge and not dry quickly. 2) There are no pockets, so I think I would miss them. 3) For bathroom breaks at home I always need to take the time to "readjust" them afterwards due to the stretchy knit fabric, and on the trails I want to be "up and walking" as quick as possible.

So, "I said all that to ask this" of you gals. For those who wear lightweight hiking pants or shorts, do you have a favorite brand and style? For those who wear yoga leggings, what do you say in regards to my concerns mentioned and would you wear them again?
Thanks for any input!
Hi, I wore black
Leggings most days and had 2 pair of lightweight shorts for hot days. Rachel :)

I also wore a dress every day. Perfect for walking on warm to hot days. I added leggings when it was cold. I made my dresses from merino wool.
Trecile is being very modest, because she must be a fantastic tailor. Someplace she posted a pic of herself in one of those dresses. It looked super. If you can sew, that's incentive to make exactly what you want.

Thanks for any input!

Personally I like hiking pants for all the reason you quoted in your first paragraph. I like to have pockets. I also like that small air gap around your legs. I think it keeps you warmer. But as someone else has said - it is personal preference.

€83,-
I'm not a fan of yoga pants for hiking. I prefer breathable, lightweight pants or skirts with pockets for the Camino.
I wore the Columbia Saturday Trail almost every day on the Camino Portugués last year. They are stretchy and have pockets with mesh lining. This year I wore the same pants on the Inglés and zipped off the pant legs for shorts. On both Caminos on warmer days, I wore the ExOfficio Camina Skirt, which has great stretch and pockets, was very comfortable to hike in.

Both dry super fast.

Hi, I took both and alternated between the two depending on the weather. Buen Camino Terri

I prefer to walk in dresses, this is my favorit. (Fingers crossed that the link works, first time trying..) :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Chris, if you clink on the blue lettering of "these" in Clare's post, it will take you to the webpage of her favorites. It's a fancy way of posting a link without having all the long drawn out web address.
:oops: Apologies as it's off topic but ... could one of you tell me how to do this, please? :oops:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Trecile is being very modest, because she must be a fantastic tailor. Someplace she posted a pic of herself in one of those dresses. It looked super. If you can sew, that's incentive to make exactly what you want.
I saw her picture too. She looked great in that cute dress (and told her so), but I am no tailor, so def not an option for me.

I walked in early Spring and wore hiking pants. I had one pair lined with micro fleece, and on unlined and convertible to shorts. I ended up wearing the lined pair in the morning and then changing to the unlined pants in the warm afternoons. I also brought rain pants to layer up if needed. -- I did look long at a pair of riding pants (I ride horses), that are like leggings but have a couple of pockets-- one on the leg where I can stick a phone or camera. I have a number of pairs of riding pants with differing degrees of warmth, and they are really comfortable. They stretch every which way. But I decided they would take too long to dry. I wear a travel vest that has a ton of pockets.

Thanks for any input!

You missed one other option. I wore a Macabi hiking skirt. Makes it SO much easier to go to the bathroom outside! And the things are crazy easy to keep clean, almost seem waterproof, and the pockets are immense. ....then I wore my yoga pants underneath them to keep warm in the mornings. And the yoga pants were my pajamas also.

No uni-taskers are allowed in this girl's pack!!

Thanks for any input!
I wore 3/4 length stretchy poly/spandex pants on the CP this year in june and although they were very comfy, I was tanned and sunburned in the weirdest area. I still have the tan line! I won't ever wear that type of pant again. Long hiking pants for me next time.

Personally, I would never hike or walk long distances in leggings. Just too hot and no airflow. It would have to be prety cold, below 30F for me to wear long johns. That's what I use leggings for under hiking pants or my skirt.
I walked the entire Primitivo in my short Purple Rain skirt. Enough pockets for my iPhone and to stick my passport and credencial when we went inside to eat. I saved the pants for the evenings when I was airing out my skirt and for the Hospitales because it was a bit cold up there. If I had to choose, I would always stick with my skirt. But hiking here at home I always wear nylon hiking pants (the giant mosquitoes would eat me alive). The Rei Sahara pants to be exact.

I am a fan of hiking pants - I am in the market for a new pair as well, so reading this thread with interest.

I don't care for yoga leggings for the reasons you mentioned - and - because while I wear them for walks and exercise at home, I do not like them when it is warm out and I will be wearing them for more than a couple hours - no matter how good the wicking material is, moisture is always an issue. It's just not comfortable for me. Plus, I can get 2-3 wearings out of a pair of hiking pants between washings. I have to wash yoga pants after each wearing.

I'm not a fan of the macabi skirt myself.

Thank you to everyone who added recent replies to my inquiry! It looks like approximately a 50/50 split on those who like leggings vs hiking pants, with also a significant number of gals who like hiking skirts....lots of great opinions to consider. Good thing I don't leave until June 1st.:)

How many hiking pants if you hike only 14 days you people suggests? And how many shirts?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How many hiking pants if you hike only 14 days and how many shirts?
I'd say take just one pair of pants for daytime walking. Then you need something to wear while they dry, but you might find that your evening/sleepwear will serve that purpose. For shirt, don't take 2 of the same kind. Rather, have your daytime layers (maybe 1 short sleeved and 1 light long sleeved) plus something warmer to wear in the evenings. That gives you 3 shirts in total. You do not need to wash everything everyday, or all at once!

I too am not a fan of walking in leggings/yoga pants. I'm too reliant on pockets and find leggings to be too hot (even though I walked at a cooler time).

I brought a pair of leggings, a hiking skirt that I had liked at home on training walks, and a pair of REI Sahara hiking pants that can roll up.

I wore the latter every day, wearing the leggings while they dried. I like them because of the pockets, they are quick dry, and water resistant. I did not need rain pants. Plus, I do a lot of hiking here in the mountains and they are still as good as new 2 years later. I wear them at least once a week here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd say take just one pair of pants for daytime walking. Then you need something to wear while they dry, but you might find that your evening/sleepwear will serve that purpose. For shirt, don't take 2 of the same kind. Rather, have your daytime layers (maybe 1 short sleeved and 1 light long sleeved) plus something warmer to wear in the evenings. That gives you 3 shirts in total. You do not need to wash everything everyday, or all at once!
For tops I've always used 2 lightweight wicking teeshirts, and a microfleece long sleeve 1/4 zip, sort of used in place of a jacket, but comfy enough for sleeping as an additional layer when needed.

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE

Thanks for any input!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Chris,

Hi Laurie,

Prior to my first pilgrimage, I had a difficult time finding anything which suited me.
--Women's pants nowadays don't quite go all the way to the waist.
--'Clingy' doesn't leave room for hiding things.
--Shorts, while cool, don't protect legs from bites and scratches, etc
... and so on.

With less than a month to go, I discovered Rail Riders MEN'S Adventure khakis. They offer a TALL, SMALL size. The front pockets are deep, and the right side has a fully-zipped pocket behind the main pocket. I'm a woman, so I don't use the nicely zippered back pockets. Side-waist elastic adds some flexibility. They weigh about 10 ounces. I added an interior zippered pocket on the left inside. I hemmed them to suit me, and I was good to go.

One solution.
Janet

I'm leaving on my first Camino (Frances) in 9 days (but who's counting?) and I am packing a pair of Mountain Hardwear pants like C Clearly suggested. Glad to know I'm on the right track. Also have a pair of North Face hiking pants. I too find yoga tights too warm and I like the way nylon hiking pants dry quickly especially if you get caught in the rain.

Thanks for any input!
Walking a year ago in Galicia (between SDC and Muxia/Finesterre, I had two pairs of pants - one, a tight fitting knit yoga like pant, but with a slight bell bottom, and also a pair of hiking pants from E Bauer with a drawstring/snap waist, pockets. These felt kind of "nylony" and I wasn't sure I would like them. Turns out we had a couple of rain days, and I preferred the nylony pants....they dried more quickly both on and off my body, and were lighter and packed smaller. They also weren't form fitting, which I preferred when I felt kinda sweaty and sticky. And this is from someone who wears yoga capris or pants virtually every day when at home. I do have to admit, however, that I took a pair of nylon shorts for sleeping....the pants wouldn't have been comfortable for that use.

Thanks for any input!
Hi! I have worn both my knee length yoga pants and my lightweight hikers in my preparations for our Camino starting September 14. I love my hikers, as I have the zip-off ones that can be shorts as well. I bought mountain hardware brand. They have nice deep pockets and are very lightweight.

I always wear lightweight hiking pants to hike. For my fall Camino, I took 2 pairs hiking pants and one pair thermal underwear for pajamas. In the US, North Face is the brand that fits me the best. My friends vouch for REI brand and Prana. Hope this helps!

Personally, I would never hike or walk long distances in leggings. Just too hot and no airflow. It would have to be prety cold, below 30F for me to wear long johns. That's what I use leggings for under hiking pants or my skirt.
I walked the entire Primitivo in my short Purple Rain skirt. Enough pockets for my iPhone and to stick my passport and credencial when we went inside to eat. I saved the pants for the evenings when I was airing out my skirt and for the Hospitales because it was a bit cold up there. If I had to choose, I would always stick with my skirt. But hiking here at home I always wear nylon hiking pants (the giant mosquitoes would eat me alive). The Rei Sahara pants to be exact.
What about the thigh rub, not all are blessed with the gap

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

But what if it is a rainy day and night? Will one pair of pants dry overnight?

I've got another question, but please don't shoot me!!?? Can I bring 150g of eco washing powder into Spain??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But what if it is a rainy day and night? Will one pair of pants dry overnight?

Try it at home, see how long they take to dry... I know my skirt and shorts do dry in a few hours. And trousers don't have to be washed every night.

Thank you everybody for your advice. This forum is defnitely very helpful and it already feels to me as my Camino family.:D

These are my current favourite. Deep pockets, stretchy yoga waistband, slightly stretchy fabric, choice of inseam length (the short length fits me perfectly, at 5'4"), appropriate style for all occasions and activities.
Can you tell me it these ride down like some stretch jeans do? (I do not like stretch jeans for that reason). Thanks!

Can you tell me it these ride down like some stretch jeans do? (I do not like stretch jeans for that reason). Thanks!
I have the same problem with most stretch jeans, too. I always blame it on the fact that I have narrow hips, so not much to keep them up. 😛

Thanks for any input!

@Camino Chris , I wore capri length 'leggings' on my first camino and found them very comfortable. I didn't miss pockets because I use a small fanny pack to hold whatever I need in immediacy while walking and found it very handy. The one drawback was they absolutely did not dry unless they were washed and hung in full hot sun early in the day ( almost never happened ). The waist and gusset on the UnderArmor capris were doubled thick fabric. I had zip off hikers for my second camino and absolutely could not stand the bulky zipper and seam, both zipped on or off. I now wear Columbia Trail shorts ( bermudas ), very very lightweight, enough pockets, dry super fast and still look great after two camino. I also take a pair of The Northface Aphrodite pants...super light, deep pockets, soft waistband and drawstring...they are tapered a bit towards the ankles so don't swish with extra fabric ( look a bit like joggers )...very very comfortable. I also take a Columbia hiking skort...the 19" length, a bit more modest for a 60 yr old...lol All three weigh very little and cover all I need. One year I walked into November and bought a pr of tights along the way to add a layer when needed. I'm headed out again Sept 13th this year and am nearly all packed!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.