• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Larrasoana Albergues

Maryimelda

Some time ago I was reading about a very popular albergue in Larrasoana (I think). Can anyone tell me if I have this right or does anyone know of a good albuerge in Larrasoana please.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, if you were reading John Brierley's guide the municipal albergue there is very popular. I don't know how he reached that conclusion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had no problems there when I stayed - very friendly greeting .. clean and tidy ... just another roadside attraction.

I had no problems there when I stayed - very friendly greeting .. clean and tidy ... just another roadside attraction.
Same for me. However do be aware that in late autumn/winter there is no place to either buy food or to eat in Larrasoana. As always be prepared with supplies!!

MM

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zubiri has more places to stay, restaurants and stores. Besides, after the descent from Roncevalles, you'll want to soak your feet in the river.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's been two years since I was there but I enjoyed the albergue (we were in the older, overflow one) and greatly enjoyed the one restaurant we found. They had a great pilgrim meal. The one mercado had a sign saying it would open at 5:00pm but it never did. That was the only negative I came away with.

I had a bad experience with this albergue in May 2014. The only bad experience I've ever had with albergues I might add.

The town is nice, the albergue itself was OK but the person at the reception desk was very unfriendly, kicking me out of his office, commenting on people (me) not speaking proper Spanish, etc.
Unfortunately I was too tired to continue at that point so I stayed, and he did let me stay so I was happy to have a bed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I arrived there late in the day in September 2011 with 2 other pilgrims, we were turned away and given no other options for a place to stay. I found that a little rude. We went to the only bar/restaurant in town and they suggested a pensione at the far end of the town, we found the last beds available in town, one room with 3 beds for 60 euros. By the time we returned to the restaurant they were closing up, so no dinner was had that night. I certainly recommend Zubiri, it has good food and many lodging options. The other option is the expensive place at the top of the hill where they filmed part of the Martin Sheen movie.

Stayed in Larrasoana on a Sunday in May, 2012 and will never forget my experience. Was put in the overflow area even though others who came after me were placed in the main albergue. I found the facilities in the overflow to be fairly unclean and crowded. There was nothing open in the town. We ended up knocking on the door of a restaurant/home to ask the owner if she would open up to feed some 50 pilgrims who had no place to eat. After some encouraging, she decided to open. The food was excellent, however, the whole experience left me with the determination that I will opt for Zubiri next time.

It is not long from Roncesvalles to Zubiri, just 22 km. I could have walked a couple of hours more, but I knew the only albergue available was the one in Larrasoaña, and I had read the reports -basically, the same written here. So, I stayed in alberge Zaldiko (a bit cramped, but the hospitalera was really a charmer). Judging by the comments from fellow pilgrims I met in Pamplona and had stayed in Larrasoaña, mine was a good decision.
This is a village where a private albergue (or a new public one) would be welcomed.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed in the Pension el Peregrino, it was excellent, 60 euros for the 3 of us. We ate that night at the bar in the centre of town. About 30 or 40 pilgrims at a U shaped table. I still think that was one of the best communal meal I had on our entire Camino. It was so much fun and the food and wine were very good and plentiful. Larrasoana has good memories for me.

http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/2014_01_01_archive.html

I stayed in the overflow in September 2014... it ranks joint 1st as the worst place I stayed ... for me it had very poor basic facilities and not very clean.

I did however enjoy a wonderful meal in the bar with a wonderful group of pilgrims... which helped me forget about the showers and loos and bunk beds for a little while :rolleyes:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, if you were reading John Brierley's guide the municipal albergue there is very popular. I don't know how he reached that conclusion.
Exactly.
I was there in 2009 with my mother and was really ashamed to stop there and put her into that filthy place. Hospitalero was quite rude also... I was taking Brierley's advice at that time, but in 2011 I stopped in Zubiri. Much better choice. Although the restaurant at the end of Larrasoana (2009) was nice and served good meals at reasonable prices.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone stayed at Pension Tau?
Not an Albergue but looks nice enough on their website.
Strange that it's not in Miam-Miam-Dodo 2013, unless it's new.

Larrasoana used to be one of the best albergues on the CF until some years ago. This was mainly due to Santiago Zubiri, a veteran pilgrim, hospitalero and the mayor of Larrasoana. He is now retired and, because of age and failing health, not any more involved in it. He was a true legend of hospitality in his time, but now things have sadly changed.
It seems that the village has a rota of people that 'sell beds' but that are not really interested in the pilgrims or providing any sense of hospitality. As we arrived we, the Camino friend I walked with that day and I, were given two beds in a garage-style building that didn't have a kitchen and wasn't too clean either. Pilgrims that arrived later than us were allocated in the actual albergue which has a kitchen and was much cleaner. Also 'kick-out time' was 07:30, in October!, the earliest I have experienced on my whole way. It was dark, cold and the only thing in town open was a vending machine... Very miserable start of the day for me.
There is now a newish donativo albergue around 7 kilometres further on in Zabaldika, see http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-parroquial-de-zabaldika which looks like a good alternative to staying in Larrasoana.
Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Pension Tau is in 2014 MMDD

He has shares in it Tyrrek ??
We found the care offered the worst on any camino route.
That is why we only use MMDD

Thanks NavyBlue & Thornley

Yesss, i liked Zubiri as a village a whole lot better then larrasoana. Its a shame the brierley guide doesnt really mention Zubiri as a logical option. I stayed in an excellent new albergue, immediately over the bridge on the left.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yesss, i liked Zubiri as a village a whole lot better then larrasoana. Its a shame the brierley guide doesnt really mention Zubiri as a logical option. I stayed in an excellent new albergue, immediately over the bridge on the left.

Only opened in mid 2014
Not even in MMDD
However in Eroski Consumer the following is listed;

Albergue Rio Arga/Urden Ibaia
15pp .............. 2 rooms x 4 people and 2 room x 2people
A perfect room number for early in the walk.
Maybe 5e extra but in my opinion priceless when sleep is required.
Opens @10am and is brand new on the river.

There is now a newish donativo albergue around 7 kilometres further on in Zabaldika, see http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-parroquial-de-zabaldika which looks like a good alternative to staying in Larrasoana.
Buen Camino, SY[/QUOTE]
I stayed here in 2014, it is a long climb up the hill but well worth the effort. Great communal dinner, evening prayers and clean sleeping quarters.

I think it's been almost a decade since I've been in Larrasoaña, but when I was there last the owner of the Café Bar (and Pensión) Larrasoaña told me he was about to close, that he was going to take the money and run to warmer weather. He was quite a character and had a great gig going because he was the only place in town serving a meal. That may have changed, but they were those family style home cooked meals, lubricated with many bottles of inexpensive wine and a few pronouncements by the owner, Señor Sangalo. On my first camino, I stayed in the albergue, but decided to look for alternatives on subsequent trips, and this was the only alternative in those days.

The website is still active http://www.casasangalo.es/web1.htm and rooms can be reserved via email, at least if it´s still in operation. Anyone been there recently? Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... The website is still active http://www.casasangalo.es/web1.htm and rooms can be reserved via email, at least if it´s still in operation. Anyone been there recently? Buen camino, Laurie

I remember that place, and the old times when the Camino actually went through the village and didn't bypass it like it does now. No, sadly, that place is also gone, I have found memories of it! The only place in town to eat is now at the corner opposite the little church and there is a tienda somewhere that is occasionally open, not much else. Buen Camino! SY

I remember that place, and the old times when the Camino actually went through the village and didn't bypass it like it does now. No, sadly, that place is also gone, I have found memories of it! The only place in town to eat is now at the corner opposite the little church and there is a tienda somewhere that is occasionally open, not much else. Buen Camino! SY

Thanks, Syl,

Does anyone have any information on when it closed and what happened to the family? I remember the wife had some serious health issues and had had to stop helping out with the business the second time I stayed there.

Had no idea the Camino no longer goes through the village, with those beautiful houses and their wooden balconies, doors and shutters. And the geraniums!!! I wonder if it´s a case of residents fed up with pilgrims?

Buen camino, Laurie

I found still prices in Pesetas on the website, I myself was there the last time in 2002, so I guess they closed down shortly after that year? SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Syl,

Does anyone have any information on when it closed and what happened to the family? I remember the wife had some serious health issues and had had to stop helping out with the business the second time I stayed there.

Had no idea the Camino no longer goes through the village, with those beautiful houses and their wooden balconies, doors and shutters. And the geraniums!!! I wonder if it´s a case of residents fed up with pilgrims?

Buen camino, Laurie

Like this Laurie?
This was taken in Larassoana in 2011 - leaving the village in the morning. Obviously after the bread delivery. I loved the look of the houses in the village.

buen camino
camino part 1 045.jpg

I found still prices in Pesetas on the website, I myself was there the last time in 2002, so I guess they closed down shortly after that year? SY
I and my mother had dinner there in 2009. It was packed with pilgrims because it was the only place to eat or drink in Larrasoana then. Nice place and good food for friendly prices as I've mentioned before.
Sorry to hear it's closed now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Only opened in mid 2014
Not even in MMDD
However in Eroski Consumer the following is listed;

Albergue Rio Arga/Urden Ibaia
15pp .............. 2 rooms x 4 people and 2 room x 2people
A perfect room number for early in the walk.
Maybe 5e extra but in my opinion priceless when sleep is required.
Opens @10am and is brand new on the river.
Yep, thats the one. Really nice, clean place to stay. Loved the ensuite bathroom as well. I would stay there again.

What is MMDD?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I and my mother had dinner there in 2009. It was packed with pilgrims because it was the only place to eat or drink in Larrasoana then. Nice place and good food for friendly prices as I've mentioned before.
Sorry to hear it's closed now.

Are you sure it is the same one? The current bar / restaurant is diagonally opposite of the church at the entrance of the village. The one peregrina2000 and I were talking about is at the end of the village, now not any more on the official Camino route, SY

I remember that place, and the old times when the Camino actually went through the village and didn't bypass it like it does now.
I actually can't remember it at all.
So, the Camino doesn't go through the village at all?
I see that Eroski & Mundicamino both have it on their route.

Are you sure it is the same one? The current bar / restaurant is diagonally opposite of the church at the entrance of the village. The one peregrina2000 and I were talking about is at the end of the village, now not any more on the official Camino route, SY
Very very sure, I really do remember the place and even the table for two we were sitting at. At the left wall as you enter (in direction the first photo was taken from: http://www.casasangalo.es/web1.htm). Well, maybe it was in adjoining room to the left from the bar, because I remember that they brought food from the right side doors (I was sitting with my back towards main street = entrance).
Also see my previous post (#18) before discussion about this restaurant even started. I may just add that the restaurant was on the left side of the asphalt road leaving Larrasoana.
That was in 2009, whereas I can't remember I passed this place in 2011 so maybe the Camino is really re-routed or was already in 2011. Or my memory has some problems ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... So, the Camino doesn't go through the village at all? I see that Eroski & Mundicamino both have it on their route.

Oh, the Camino still touches it, but if you want to go through it, you have to cross the bridge, visit the village and go back over the same bridge again to rejoin the Camino. I have vague memories of 1999 and 2002, also my memory might be failing there!, of an alternative exit to the village that stayed on the other side of the river and continued so to the next village, Zabaldika. SY

Like this Laurie?
This was taken in Larassoana in 2011 - leaving the village in the morning. Obviously after the bread delivery. I loved the look of the houses in the village.

buen camino
View attachment 15715

That house is cute, but the ones I remember were large, imposing, with ornate wooden carvings on gates, balconies, doors, shutters. Lace curtains in the windows. I don´t have any of my Francés pictures on the computer (they´re the old fashioned kind), so I can´t post anything. Maybe someone else has some.

Very very sure, I really do remember the place and even the table for two we were sitting at. At the left wall as you enter (in direction the first photo was taken from: http://www.casasangalo.es/web1.htm). Well, maybe it was in adjoining room to the left from the bar, because I remember that they brought food from the right side doors (I was sitting with my back towards main street = entrance).
Also see my previous post (#18) before discussion about this restaurant even started. I may just add that the restaurant was on the left side of the asphalt road leaving Larrasoana.
That was in 2009, whereas I can't remember I passed this place in 2011 so maybe the Camino is really re-routed or was already in 2011. Or my memory has some problems ;)

Hi, K1, I think the last time I was there was 2004, so you have much more recent information. Yep, you´re right, the restaurant was on the left leaving the village, in fact I think there might not have been any more of the village after this place. Terrace with tables and umbrellas at the far side. When you went in, the eating room was on the left, and he really packed them in there. Was the man pictured on the webpage running it? He was very much still the dominating force when I was there, though he had hired a couple of young women from Eastern Europe to help him out.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, K1, I think the last time I was there was 2004, so you have much more recent information. Yep, you´re right, the restaurant was on the left leaving the village, in fact I think there might not have been any more of the village after this place. Terrace with tables and umbrellas at the far side. When you went in, the eating room was on the left, and he really packed them in there. Was the man pictured on the webpage running it? He was very much still the dominating force when I was there, though he had hired a couple of young women from Eastern Europe to help him out.
Huh, I really don't remember any faces (too much pain because of my twisted ankle, I guess), but definitely it's the same place. As much water/juice/wine etc. you could drink during the dinner but had less than an hour and we were asked to give place to other pilgrims.

I was having trouble with my feet and we had to stay in Larrasoana late in 8/2013. We stayed in the public albergue with the over flow. All I can say that hasn't been said already is, that it was adequate. Nothing more and nothing less. As I remember Larrasoana, it is what I would call in America a one horse town. That is not to say that it was a bad town, but it just had limited resources.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Without the Camino, it likely would no longer exist.;)

How true. The town has it's own beauty. These small towns have great historical worth. I was happy the town was there for me to stop. The town is part of the Camino. It it was a place to rest, and eat and continue the journey.

I had a wonderful time there...probably due to friends I met. I will say, it set my expectations for the rest of the time on the camino, which meant that I was always pleasantly surprised when I found my next destination - not a bad feeling to have.

Some time ago I was reading about a very popular albuerge in Larrasoana (I think). Can anyone tell me if I have this right or does anyone know of a good albuerge in Larrasoana please.
Although I haven't done the CF since 2011 I think disparity of views about the Larrasoaña albergue comes from which side of the road you are put in when you check in. Apparently the overflow accommodation (and it's quite arbitrary where you are sent) is grim: filthy, crowded, no privacy, cold water. Several people I know took one look and fled, even though they'd paid. There's a very good hostal/pension just up the road (can't remember the name, but it's something Camino-ish) , which does good food and breakfast very early if required.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although I haven't done the CF since 2011 I think disparity of views about the Larrasoaña albergue comes from which side of the road you are put in when you check in. Apparently the overflow accommodation (and it's quite arbitrary where you are sent) is grim: filthy, crowded, no privacy, cold water. Several people I know took one look and fled, even though they'd paid. There's a very good hostal/pension just up the road (can't remember the name, but it's something Camino-ish) , which does good food and breakfast very early if required.

Sir John,
You are 1000% correct.

Larrasoana used to be one of the best albergues on the CF until some years ago. This was mainly due to Santiago Zubiri, a veteran pilgrim, hospitalero and the mayor of Larrasoana. He is now retired and, because of age and failing health, not any more involved in it. He was a true legend of hospitality in his time, but now things have sadly changed.
It seems that the village has a rota of people that 'sell beds' but that are not really interested in the pilgrims or providing any sense of hospitality. As we arrived we, the Camino friend I walked with that day and I, were given two beds in a garage-style building that didn't have a kitchen and wasn't too clean either. Pilgrims that arrived later than us were allocated in the actual albergue which has a kitchen and was much cleaner. Also 'kick-out time' was 07:30, in October!, the earliest I have experienced on my whole way. It was dark, cold and the only thing in town open was a vending machine... Very miserable start of the day for me.
Buen Camino, SY
Yes, this sounds very familiar.

I think disparity of views about the Larrasoaña albergue comes from which side of the road you are put in when you check in.
No. It starts with the way you are "welcomed" by a very unpolite old hospitalera. Bitch, quite simply. Then you are confronted with a hamlet with a couple of pensions who will charge your shirt and more for a room, + one single cafe in the centre of the hamlet. They may do good food (I didn't bother to test it for all the other reasons; My companion asked for motorized transport to Pamplona that day, which ws a good choice after many hours of walking), but I don't care, because of the rest of the "facilities". The place is to be avoided according to my personal experiences in late April 2014, with my friend Jenniffer (A forum member). Stop before or after: Larrasoana is definitely a place to avoid. I have never, on any Camino, experienced such an unfriendly and money-craving place.

On the other hand, if somebody would like to start an albergue, this must be one of the easiest places on the Camino: No/sh*tty competition. And all odds with you for success. For me: Too far from the sea.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One of the best nights on my Camino last May was at the Muni at Lorrasoana. Although I must say it had more to do with the other pilgrims staying there than it did with the quality of the facilities.

... On the other hand, if somebody would like to start an albergue, this must be one of the easiest places on the Camino: No/sh*tty competition. And all odds with you for success. For me: Too far from the sea.

And the whole village against you because you are creating competition for their albergue. As nice as it would be for the pilgrims, for the person doing it it could be a 'hell of an experience'. Buen Camino, SY

And the whole village against you because you are creating competition for their albergue. As nice as it would be for the pilgrims, for the person doing it it could be a 'hell of an experience'. Buen Camino, SY

Not a hundred percent certain but in 08 we were told the old bloke had purchased the shop and closed it.
The only food we got back then was sold from the albergue .
Very ordinary with most buying more red than food which made for a great night despite all thrown at us.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I stayed in the muni albergue overflow in Sept 2014. It was my first albergue experience. The old lady was not welcoming at all, but the old man who took us over the road to show us where to go, was OK. I was fortunate in the albergue to get a bunk beside the window - which remained open all night as a result as it was HOT. The blue plastic mattress covers were interesting to sleep on, even with a silk liner. Next morning, I was woken at 4.45 by the rustle of plastic bags, the sound of heavy footsteps on the steps (both up and down and up and down....) and people talking. Apparently it had started at 4.15.

However, I did have a great meal at the bar in the centre of the village. Communal meal at a large table with good food and excellent company. I went to bed feeling mellow and slept well.

I also found the funny little shop at the far end of the village and exchanged pleasantries in Arabic with the owner. He had lots to say (in English) about the state of affairs in Spain etc etc etc.

So all in all, I did not have too bad an experience. It also meant that I was much more realistic as to what to expect at other albergues, so I appreciated the nice ones and accepted the more basic ones.

Coming in to Larrasoana on Sept 3 2014, there were several notices saying that the albergue would be shut for 4 nights, starting the following day. No reason was given and the old woman who checked me in was in no mood to answer questions.

Outside the main albergue there was a marquee so I assumed that there were fiestas or something the next day, though I thought it odd that the albergue would shut anyway. Later, I heard rumours that the place had bed bugs. If that were true, then I thought it pretty poor show that they still allowed people to stay there anyway.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Why is it that these rude people are allowed to run alberques,is there no sort of vetting system or can basically anyone run one ?

They have been there a "long time" Bernard and have made a fortune compared to some nearby villages and families.
And one would think that eventually buys influence.

Actually the albergue belongs to the village and makes a lot of money for the village, no matter how (un)friendly the hospitaleros are. SY

Actually the albergue belongs to the village and makes a lot of money for the village, no matter how (un)friendly the hospitaleros are. SY
"A lot of money" may be relative. There are no customers for nearly half the year, so a major portion goes to the hospitaleros in a make-work sort of job. It is likely that they view their job as opening, cleaning, closing, and replacing the toilet paper rolls, not hand holding.;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree @falcon269 a lot of money is relative depending from where you come. The albergue charges 6 Euro, there are ~50 beds, which makes 300 Euro per day when fully booked. Not a lot of money for, let's say Bill Gates, but for a small village in Spain? Add to that the money pilgrims spend on the vending machines, bar/restaurant, the shop (when open) and it does create some sizeable income for the village as such, even if it is only during the main pilgrimage season. SY

Add to that the money pilgrims spend on the vending machines, bar/restaurant, the shop
The Camino keeps these villages alive and their residents employed. It is good trickle-up economics. The village does not get much from a meal in the restaurant, but the owner and his employees have income. Considering the hospitaleros work from 6 a.m. to nearly midnight, the 6E seems quite modest for the labor provided. I am going to chose gratitude over resentment, even for the surly workers.:)

@falcon269 Actually the the situation in Larrasoana is a bit different when it comes to the hospitaleros. The cleaning is done by a paid person, which is great for everybody involved! The hospitaleros are from the village and are taking turns and the only thing what I / we saw them doing was 'reception work' from opening ~14:30 until ~19:00. The lady on duty the day I arrived told us that she wouldn't check-in any pilgrims after 19:00! What was nightfall. Surely, in summer things will be different, aka longer working hours - until the albergue is completo. I guess because I knew 'another' Larasoana in the past with somebody in charge that was a hospitalero by vocation it has colored my view a bit. Buen Camino, SY

"A lot of money" may be relative. There are no customers for nearly half the year, so a major portion goes to the hospitaleros in a make-work sort of job. It is likely that they view their job as opening, cleaning, closing, and replacing the toilet paper rolls, not hand holding.;)

I dont think the overflow was closed over night... some of the pilgrims left at 4:15 in the morning (lights on and plenty of noise too!) I was one of the last to find a bed there in mid-september when I arrived at around 3:30pm... the showers were dirty (not from one day but just very grubby), the toilet was broken (again not from that day but broken with a bit of metal cobbled together to act as a flush). There was no loo-roll or paper towels and the outside sink for clothes washing was equally grubby. There was no steps to get into the top bunk but a chair beside the bunks that you had to stand on a pull yourself up... you shared the chair with the top bunk beside you... and my bunk was decidely wobbly. Unlike many/most other albergues later there were also no disposable sheets/pillowcases (I never expected any and was prepared for this but I just mention this as most other albergues did provide them for the same cost).

There was also no kitchen, no wifi and no frills whatever... it really was very low quality but for the same price as many other albergues along the CF.

There was a young chap who signed me in... he did just that and told me to find the overflow. He wasnt rude but he possibly only spoke 20 words to me... and he managed to say these without looking up at me once. The pilgrim who signed in before me waited and showed me where I should go.

I stayed first at Roncevalles which was very nice and the next evening I stayed in a hostel with my husband so Larrasoana was my first proper albergue on the road. At the time I just thought...well, I never expected it to be wonderful! But I can tell you I was so happy to learn that Larrasoana is not the norm.

It really was run down, grubby and not a nice place to stay.

But I also enjoyed a wonderful meal in the local bar with some great pilgrims and we laughed and told stories and made friends... it didn't help me sleep much but it did make it all a lot nicer.

As a nurse in kids intensive care,i can't just fricking switch off in quiet times,yer there to do a sevice,get bloody on with it,no need to be rude.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree @falcon269 a lot of money is relative depending from where you come. The albergue charges 6 Euro, there are ~50 beds, which makes 300 Euro per day when fully booked. Not a lot of money for, let's say Bill Gates, but for a small village in Spain? Add to that the money pilgrims spend on the vending machines, bar/restaurant, the shop (when open) and it does create some sizeable income for the village as such, even if it is only during the main pilgrimage season. SY

There are 77 beds available when full @6 euros which equates to 460 euros per day.
As Falcon says ...6 months only per year = 83,000 euros .
According to Mundicamino , Eroski and the recent Pilgrims Guide Book unless they fix broken windows in winter , clean the place and improve the welcome then even in the middle of winter most will continue on to Villava , a few hours walk.
We could give them 2,000 extra euros for the remaining six months [ 5 persons per day] which means 85,000 euros.

Apply the above figures , full for 6 months and a lousy 5 per day for the remainder of the year means 14,700 pilgrims stayed in the village.
**We would spend 10 euros each ????? on meals , drinks ?? , surely to a max of 13 euros
We have now provided 240,000 ----280,000 euros to this alberque and village bar.

A lot of countries just north of where i live would give you the world , and with kindness if that money entered their villages.
Just a shame a new one can't be built nearby as has occurred in other sections of the camino .

Stop at Zubiri and then 5km before Pamplona to receive kindness with facilities from people who are appreciative .

Complaints posted on the internet (Eroski) go back to at least 2004, so a little more complaining won't bother them much.;)

Before that, reviews seem complimentary when a Mr. Zubiri was in charge.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But pilgrims stopping in Larrasoana and instead stopping before/after might just get the message across to them. Again, don't get me wrong, I am a really low comfort seeking pilgrim having frequently slept in places that are below the hygienic threshold of most but one thing that affects me more than dirty bathrooms is unkindness. I prefer staying in Manjarin with Tomas than staying in a *****albergue with hospitaleros that see pilgrims as a 20 Euro note with an attached backpack. Different experiences, different values and your mileage might, or most certainly will, vary, Buen Camino! SY

I keep coming back to this thread, and each time I visit, I think about adding my two cents. I was assigned a bunk in the auxiliary building in Larrasoana, across the street and over a pinch from the main albergue. I wasn't thinking about the kindness or rudeness of the hospitalero; I was thinking about my blisters. After my first trip to the ladies shower/restroom, I remembered to bring my tissues with me - and it wasn't sparkly clean - but it wasn't a hotel, either. I was fortunate to share dinner with another pilgrim that night; we used the kitchen (which is in the back of the main albergue, and available to all of the pilgrims), and it was just fine.
I guess I am skirting around what I really want to say - that experience and many others helped to shape my pilgrimage. Some things were more pleasant that others; but all necessary parts of the experience as a whole. For what it's worth, I had the most troubling experience with a hospitalero in Astorga, when I painfully shuffled in there and couldn't stop my stubborn tears from interrupting my interaction with him :(

In either case, I was grateful for the bed in Larrasoana, and I was grateful for the bed in Astorga, too. Neither was grand, but neither was awful.

... we used the kitchen (which is in the back of the main albergue, and available to all of the pilgrims)...

Which is only open if they bother to open the main albergue, if they don't - there is no kitchen! For the rest of your post - I applaud you, as it shows true pilgrim spirit! Buen Camino! SY

€46,-
We stayed at Pension Tau, in May 2014 and it was very nice and the lady is a great cook. She also provides a laundry / drying service for a few euros.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

€149,-
No. It starts with the way you are "welcomed" by a very unpolite old hospitalera. Bitch, quite simply. Then you are confronted with a hamlet with a couple of pensions who will charge your shirt and more for a room, + one single cafe in the centre of the hamlet. They may do good food (I didn't bother to test it for all the other reasons; My companion asked for motorized transport to Pamplona that day, which ws a good choice after many hours of walking), but I don't care, because of the rest of the "facilities". The place is to be avoided according to my personal experiences in late April 2014, with my friend Jenniffer (A forum member). Stop before or after: Larrasoana is definitely a place to avoid. I have never, on any Camino, experienced such an unfriendly and money-craving place.

On the other hand, if somebody would like to start an albergue, this must be one of the easiest places on the Camino: No/sh*tty competition. And all odds with you for success. For me: Too far from the sea.
This seems a bit extreme. The pension I stayed in was great and not expensive if you share a room. And even if it all turns out bad it's all part of the Camino experience.

Read this thread 'from cover to cover'. The 2015 guide from CSJ reports mixed views on Larrasoaña. So good or bad, I dont think I will find out come April, the safe option seems to say Zubiri.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.