• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Latest blister prevention technique

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leukotape (I order it on Amazon ) is what works great for me. I always put it on my sensitive spots like, heels and little toes. I never had a blister on my Camino. Obviously you also need shoes that fit well.

Leukotape (I order it on Amazon ) is what works great for me. I always put it on my sensitive spots like, heels and little toes. I never had a blister on my Camino. Obviously you also need shoes that fit well.

I tried this a couple of years ago but had an allergic reaction to it! I ended up with blisters, eczema and horror movie feet :).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Taping may be a novel approach in the uk, but not for avid hikers.

Taping also reduces breath-ability. so unless i have a area that is prone to repeated blistering, i would avoid anything artificially alters the skin's functioning.

I tried this a couple of years ago but had an allergic reaction to it! I ended up with blisters, eczema and horror movie feet :).
That is too bad :( I love that tape....ha ha I keep ordering rolls....just in case they ever go out of business LOL

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is a link to an article in today's London "Times" about, apparently, a major breakthrough in blister prevention - cheap surgical tape:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/staggering-solution-for-blisters-costs-just-60p-0tcd9cnx6

As The Times is behind a paywall, I have copied the article:

"Scientists are claiming that a cheap, easily available product is the simple, yet most effective, solution. Their study has potentially put paid to the shelves full of plasters, lubricants and pads that claim to prevent blisters.

It deduced that the best job is done by a 60p roll of surgical tape.

The research, published in the Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, argued that there had been no scientific study into the effectiveness of blister products, leading to the proliferation in the types on sale. Now it aims to put the kibosh on the search for a plaster that actually works by pointing sufferers in the direction of the minor wounds section of any pharmacy.

Grant Lipman, clinical associate professor in emergency medicine at Stanford University, was spurred on to find a solution after working for endurance runners completing 25 to 50 miles a day. Instead of complaining about sore knee joints, he said that the most common cause of pain was blisters.

“What I kept hearing was, ‘Doctor, I’d be doing so well if only for my feet’,” he said. “Their feet were getting decimated. People have been doing studies on blister prevention for 30 or 40 years and never found anything easy that works. I wanted to look at this critically.”

He began collecting anecdotes from athletes and army recruits who said that their tried and tested method was applying surgical paper tape.

The tape is used to hold dressings in place or alone for minor cuts and grazes and is only mildly adhesive. When applied to blister-prone areas before exercise, the tape successfully prevented the appearance and frequency of blisters. One of its main advantages was that the tape did not tear the blisters if they did occur.

The study recruited 128 runners taking part in the 155-mile, six-stage RacingThePlanet ultramarathon event, which crosses several deserts around the globe, including the Gobi and those in Jordan and Madagascar.

Paper tape was applied to one of each of the runners’ feet while the other one was left bare. Medical assistants tested its worth by covering the runners’ blister-prone areas or, if they had no blister history, to randomly selected locations on the foot.

The runners were monitored over the 155 miles for seven days. For 98 of the 128 runners, no blisters formed where the tape had been applied, whereas 81 of the 128 got blisters in areas left to the mercy of just a sock.

Dr Lipman said: “It’s kind of a ridiculously cheap, easy method of blister prevention. You can get it anywhere. The best way to make it to the finish line is by taking care of your feet.” "

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love leukotape. That's exactly what we do and never a problem with blisters. Small toes and heels. It will stay on for ages too even through baths and showers. Also I change my (light and thin) socks every time we stop for cafe and we do stop a lot!! Walking in wet sweaty feet will almost always cause blisters. Must get on to Amazon as I can't seem to get it in uk any more. Thanks for that. Annette.

When it says surgical tape, is this the same as micropore tape?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've used sheep's wool. It's light as a feather and tape it to the area and it allows air and comfort.

I use Sheep's wool. But the instructions say not to tape it. Leave it to 'bind' into the sock.

http://robscamino.com/foot-care/

I gave away so much of it last year, with such great feedback, I'm taking 2 packs this year!

Love leukotape. That's exactly what we do and never a problem with blisters. Small toes and heels. It will stay on for ages too even through baths and showers. Also I change my (light and thin) socks every time we stop for cafe and we do stop a lot!! Walking in wet sweaty feet will almost always cause blisters. Must get on to Amazon as I can't seem to get it in uk any more. Thanks for that. Annette.
Its on Amazon Annette.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B5A0JC8/?tag=casaivar-21

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Plain zinc oxide tape applied to the heels in particular has been used by the military here in the UK for decades to prevent blisters. Works for me.

Just came across this, they actually did random test on ultra marathoners (25miles a day for 4 days) and showed significant reductions in blisters...
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/an-easy-way-to-prevent-blisters-try-paper-tape/?ref=health

Here is the copy of the actual study from the Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine... http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/health/blisters.pdf

And this is the regular inexpensive paper tape that they used... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W68DHE/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked a few Caminos and trekked my share and the one trick I was taught is that, if you already have a raised blister, with needle and thread make a puncture of the blister from one side to the other(absolutely no pain), without poking yourself, and leave the thread in and continue your walk. It works!

There are so many 'solutions' to avoiding or treating blisters.

I reckon you have to just try them out and stick with what works.

Didn't get any last year. So using same techniques this year. :D OK one tiny one that was gone overnight.....

http://robscamino.com/foot-care/

Of course..........things could go completely 'base over apex'..........

I shall be reporting progress on my Blog and here......

To stop blisters:
and go to the 3:26 min mark.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Further proof of the effectiveness of using paper tape in preventing blisters from today's New York Times.....
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/an-easy-way-to-prevent-blisters-try-paper-tape/?ref=health
Not sure that the article is further proof, but it is further reporting of the same study.

What I really liked about the article was the related article about beer and exercise , affirming for me the inherent goodness of life on the Camino!

On an actually related note, the paper tape article raised the concern of tape peeling off, and I'm curious if anyone has tried using Tincture of Benzoin as an aid to increase the adhesion qualities of the tape. I have previously found ToB to be hugely useful with normal bandage adhesion, especially in a moist sock environment.

Also, as a side comment, taping blister-prone areas is in many respects the same premise as using Engo patches, which have a much longer usable lifespan and require minimal maintenance. As such, I still think the first defense is proper fit, good socks, and proper lacing so as to minimize the likelihood of friction in the first place. Then, something like Engo in long-term problem areas, and finally something like paper tape in areas where Engo doesn't work well (e.g. between toes) or as early preventative response to hot spots.

Last edited:

€46,-
Two different newpapers reporting the same scientific article does not constitute 'further proof' of the effectiveness of this technique, just that the good news about this is spreading.
Point well taken. What I meant was that when the study is featured in the pre-eminent newspaper in the world, it's a further confirmation of the legitimacy of the study.

Point well taken. What I meant was that when the study is featured in the pre-eminent newspaper in the world, it's a further confirmation of the legitimacy of the study.
Is the NY Times being pre-eminent in the world a bit like American football teams competing amonst themselves for a 'world' championship? :rolleyes: As for newspapers confirming the legitimacy of scientific work - really! That is the legitimate role and function of peer-reviewed scientific journals, not newspapers.

Is the NY Times being pre-eminent in the world a bit like American football teams competing amonst themselves for a 'world' championship? :rolleyes: As for newspapers confirming the legitimacy of scientific work - really! That is the legitimate role and function of peer-reviewed scientific journals, not newspapers.
Dougfitz,

It appeared in the Science section of today's Times. If you're not familiar with this section, it's made up of writers who happen to be experts in the scientific field.

I presume the NYT does not fit your definition of a preeminent newspaper. That's fine as along as tabloids do not make your list!

I arrived at Sarria today. The sun has appeared at last - I took photos of wild flowers and blossoming trees today. Started at Saint Jean end of March. Didn't expect to get blisters. Haven't had any. My boots fit perfectly, the weather has been cool, so no sweating. Great socks - a single pair of synthetics, very comfy. My boots have been wet through twice but not soaked. And this has apparently been an exceptionately wet year so far. No more rain predicted while I head for Santiago. I trained with these boots on for about 9 months before I arrived at Saint Jean.

Every body is different. But. The planning and precautions I've taken have paid off.

Today I offered a Compeed bandage to a woman who had stopped beside the path, she was sitting on a stone wall. She said "No thanks it's just the water", as she wrung water out of her socks. She had walked through a stream (a pathway called The Camino) as I had but she was wearing sneakers.

Yesterday, a German guy and I helped a man who had fallen ahead of us. I had band aids, wet wipes and a Swiss Army knife. The young German guy, I didn't get his name, had a large sheet of bandage which we cut with my knife. The 77-year-old man was bloody but very tough, I walked with him for a while afterwards, he was OK. I asked if he had poles. He said he did but they were in his pack because he had to get one fixed. He had tripped and landed on his face on the path, cut his forehead, nose and hand.

I'm surprised at how many people don't take the most basic precautions. Like using poles. Etc.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I trained with these boots on for about 9 months before I arrived at Saint Jean.
I agree 200% . I start walking in mine in October for a May/June Camino. Ha ha to the point I was afraid I would wear my shoes out before the Camino even started. No blisters last year and I expect the same this year . ( I bought new shoes but the same brand/model as last years) And yes, like you, I was stunned how many pilgrims just start the walk with no or little precautions . Some luck out but lots don't! Enjoy your last days on the Camino :)

€46,-
Getting back to the initial post : we have used Hypafix quite successfully for blister prevention or cure.
http://www.bsnmedical.com/products/...wound-care/fixation/hypafixr-transparent.html
Used in french hospitals, available in french pharmacies, probably also in Spain. Quite thin, strechable (thus superior to duct tape IMO) and rather cheap.
Looks interesting, especially for already compromised blisters. How long is the adhesive likely to hold up? Daily change? Longer?

May last several days, especially if rolled around a toe. But we preferred to strip it off every evening, for hygienic and "damage survey" purposes, letting the skin "breathe".

I guess everyone is different and has to find their own solutions. I tried taping, creaming, covering, wool etc The solution for me was to keep my feet dry. After many blisters, lost toenail and several days walking in toe socks and sandals I found my method. Three natural fibre sock changes a day and as much fresh air and sunshine on my feet as possible. Walking in sandal was good for my feet but damaging on knees so back to boots with formthotic supports. This worked and I was largely blister free for the final three weeks.

Explore and find your own solutions people have very strong views but they dont know your feet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked a few Caminos and trekked my share and the one trick I was taught is that, if you already have a raised blister, with needle and thread make a puncture of the blister from one side to the other(absolutely no pain), without poking yourself, and leave the thread in and continue your walk. It works!

Hi Daniel,
I am suffering blisters now - it's day 3! I have them on my 2 small toes as they tend to tuck in under my next toe and also on the balls of my feet. Walking today was unbearable.
I tried the needle and thread on the small toes but covered them up and they refilled with fluid ...should l leave them uncovered and rest?

... I tried the needle and thread on the small toes but covered them up and they refilled with fluid ...should l leave them uncovered and rest?

The threaded needle and thread method is a good method to get an infection :eek: Clean skin, clean nail scissors, make a tiny cut in blister BUT DO NOT remove skin over blister, put Betadine or similar (attention, contains iodine!) on it and cover with bandaid applying some pressure but not so much that circulation is affected. Buen Camino, SY

Hi,

Clean skin, clean nail scissors, make a tiny cut in blister BUT DO NOT remove skin over blister

Thanks, SYates. I second that : cutting a small triangle of skin, 1 to 2 mm large, with clean scissors, prevents refilling.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
HI all. I walked from St Jean to Santiago in June/July this year. The weather was pretty hot and although I had worn my shoes in prior to doing the walk, my feet swelled in my shoes and I got blisters. Needless to say, I loved the walk and the moment I got home I started planning my next Camino which will be the Portugese Camino from Lisbon to Santiago around the same time period in 2017. However, I am smart enough to learn from my mistakes and this time round I will buy a pair of shoes a half size bigger. Reckon that will go a long way towards preventing blisters.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.