• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy en Velay to any town beyond the Aubrac

quilt2010

I am walking the Le Puy en Velay route to Pamplona commencing 2nd week in April. I would prefer to avoid crossing the Aubrac. I expect the weather will be bleak and the route quite lonely. I was therefore considering how to avoid this stage by using public transport. Does anyone have advice on this subject?

If I could connect with a couple of other pilgrims, perhaps we could share a taxi?

alagria

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Total shame to avoid the Aubrac, it is stunning! Never mind about the weather. It could be raw, but beautiful, Gitti

Was just about to post and then Gitti summed up my sentiments exactly!
I loved the first days of this walk- so much so that I am to return mid May. Rain or shine.
If you are keen on missing this section, why not take a train to Aubrac as there is a station....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're unlikely to be alone in mid-April. Lots of French about, pilgrims and randonneurs. I wouldn't tell anybody to do the Aubrac in the cold like I did (March)...so I'll avoid the responsibility and just agree with Gitti!

The best scenery and the best views on the entire Le Puy route - don't miss it. Take Merino or silk long underwear, and good quality weather gear. It's after Easter this year, which usually marks the start of the walking season (most seasonal accommodations are open from Easter to All Saints). Seriously.

I sure liked the Aubrac. Nothing quite like it on any of the routes I have done.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone, thank you :) for all your comments and yes I agree it is a rather spectacular stage of the route. However, in May 2006 when I walked Le Puy to Santiago d.c., this stage was cold, bleak and hardly any pilgrims around. This time I will be stating out mid way through April. I didn't mind the cold but the absence of other pilgrims was rather difficult for me. As an Australian, I value my personal space and enjoy walking alone but I don't like to eat alone and I enjoy the company of other pilgrims immensely in the evenings. Alagria

Hi alagria- ahhh so you have walked this route before so know how harsh it can indeed be. I don't have details for transport across it, but I am sure that once you reach somewhere like Aumont-Aubrac you will be able to find information if the weather is bad. There are luggage services in the area these days that also convey pilgrims, but in any case, the road distance from Aumont-Aubrac to the lower level of St Chely d'Aubrac is not so far. Perhaps a taxi would be available and not too expensive.

I walked the route mid-April in 2008, and the weather was indeed bleak. There was so much fog on day 2, I couldn't see much at all- and in any case the gite owner advised us to walk the road route as the chemin was so wet from rain the previous day. However, it was a challenge that in hindsight I remember 'fondly'. I re-walked it last year in early May and the weather was superb- close to 30C, and I walked in the sunshine in a t-shirt. The contrast in weather conditions was quite staggering!

I hope it all works out for you, and maybe you will in fact be 'lucky' with the weather.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be in Le Puy on the 19th and 20th of April and plan to begin my walk from there to SJPP and then on to ??? the Northern route ...wherever my feet are willing to go! Spring is coming!!! Company for a beer or wine is always welcome!
Carmel

You will catch us! We head for Saint Christophe sur Dolaison on April 17, and will walk under 15 km per day for at least a week. We will be the language-challenged Americans, and are happy to share wine anytime.

Bon chemin!

Current best guess:
1) We, 17-Apr-2013 Le Puy-en-Velay - Saint-Christophe-sur-Dolaison
2) Th, 18-Apr-2013 Saint-Christophe-sur-Dolaison - Saint-Privat-d'Allier
3) Fr, 19-Apr-2013 Saint-Privat-d'Allier - Saugues
4) Sa, 20-Apr-2013 Saugues - Le Sauvage
5) Su, 21-Apr-2013 Le Sauvage - Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole
6) Mo, 22-Apr-2013 Saint-Alban-sur-Limagnole - Aumont-Aubrac

I am going to find myself miraculously in Montuq on April 23 and when my feet catch up with my wings I will start walking. I am sad to miss the mountains . Next time! Watch for me in the bright pink baseball cap and bright green rain jacket.
Carol

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I met up with a Pom, who was a Le Puy resident, in a bar before starting in March 2010. We argued about sport and agreed to continue the "discussion" the next day at Saint-Christophe, where he had a weekend market stall. Not only were he and the market not there the next day, the town's streets were completely deserted, because the wind was so impossibly strong. When I finally encountered two Quebecois, my first pilgrim buddies, we had to scream to introduce ourselves. Just standing up was a prob.

Then the snow. Ah, the Aubrac! I just loved that cranky old plateau. Want to go back.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Any advice welcome. I'm two days away from the Aubrac. The weather is forecast good for the region but does the Aubrac have it's own weather?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
I have an extra private en-suite room in Marcilhac for May 8. $50. Message me!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back