• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Leon - take a taxi to the outskirts????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that the path out of Leon is not well marked and goes through a sketchy area. It was suggested that pilgrims take a taxi to the outskirts of the city and pick up the Camino outside the city. Does anyone have insight about this? Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you,
Maryanne
Pretty straight forward question. Odd that you received so many snotty remarks. Maybe frequent walkers are closer to God so they can judge others?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The way out of Leon is very well marked, but you are right: the continuation is VERY bad: Highways, thundering traffic, etc. Almost all the way to Astorga. Disgusting. But 7 kms after Leon there is an alternative: Take left at the end of La Virgen del Camino and walk to Villar de Mazarife. Stay there. Next day is a peaceful walk all until Hospital de Orbigo, almost in Astorga. Highly recommended. No need for a taxi: Just walk out of town and take the alternative route.
I forgot to write: By taking this Way, you are walking a great Way all until Hospital del Orbigo. At the end of Hospital del Orbigo, you come to a crossing, giving you the possibility of going straight on, or taking right to Villares del Orbigo. Take right, and enjoy yet another peaceful walk all the way to Astorga. I recommend it. Villares del Orbigo has 2 albergues, a bar, and is a very nice little village/place to spend the night, giving you a nice 17 kms walk the next day into Astorga.

Our fellow Forum member, @LTfit , purchased an albergue there: A very nice place. I stayed there when the former owner was running it, pre-Covid. Unfortunately for @LTfit , she opened it on March 11, 2020. And on March 12, 2020, heavy Covid restrictions arrived in Europe. Everything was shut down immediately.

We were several pilgrims who tried as best we could to assist to our ability, but to no avail. The pandemic was stronger, and lasted longer...

But anyway, this walk is easy and peaceful.

By taking these two diversions, the walk from Leon to Astorga is tranquil, except, maybe, for those first 1.5h., 7 kms. No big deal. Skip the bus, not the Camino, IMHO.

I have read the entire thread now and have some thoughts.

First.
The word "sketchy" can have different meanings to different people.
Because of my upbringing, I might feel perfectly comfortable in an area or situation where my next door neighbor might be frightened. One reason my groups fill up so easy is because some people are just fearful to go to a foreign country where they don't speak the language in case they get into trouble. After a day or two, they relax and do fine on their own. Many return to do the entire route alone. That makes my heart happy.

Second.
The first time I walked from Leon, I walked every step and carried my pack.
The next 20 times or so, I have hopped on the city bus to Virgen del Camino and walked from there.
I just didn't enjoy the industrial section at all, and had no desire to see it again.

Third.
There are many myths about the "rules" of the Camino.

As far as I know, the only rules you need to follow in order to get the Compostela are these:
1. You need to be walking for spiritual/religious reasons
2. You need to walk every step for the last 100 kilometers into Santiago.

There is no rule saying you need to start in SJPP, or Roncesvalles, or any place.
There is no rule saying you have to carry your pack.
There is no rule saying you have to walk every step EXCEPT for the last 100 kilometers.

There are SO many routes to Santiago.
The Camino beginning can be anywhere, from your front door, to that 100 kilometer marker.

I say HOW you walk, WHERE you walk, and what you skip is your business and nobody else's.
It's ok for people to have opinions. We all do.
But one person's Way isn't necessarily the right WAY for the next person.
If you want to take a bus or taxi... do it, guilt free.
It's YOUR Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Pretty straight forward question. Odd that you received so many snotty remarks. Maybe frequent walkers are closer to God so they can judge others?
The OP asked: " Does anyone have insight about this? Let me know your thoughts and suggestions."

I'll suggest that insight, thoughts and suggestions have been provided. As was requested.

I have read the entire thread now and have some thoughts.

First.
The word "sketchy" can have different meanings to different people.
Because of my upbringing, I might feel perfectly comfortable in an area or situation where my next door neighbor might be frightened. One reason my groups fill up so easy is because some people are just fearful to go to a foreign country where they don't speak the language in case they get into trouble. After a day or two, they relax and do fine on their own. Many return to do the entire route alone. That makes my heart happy.

Second.
The first time I walked from Leon, I walked every step and carried my pack.
The next 20 times or so, I have hopped on the city bus to Virgen del Camino and walked from there.
I just didn't enjoy the industrial section at all, and had no desire to see it again.

Third.
There are many myths about the "rules" of the Camino.

As far as I know, the only rules you need to follow in order to get the Compostela are these:
1. You need to be walking for spiritual/religious reasons
2. You need to walk every step for the last 100 kilometers into Santiago.

There is no rule saying you need to start in SJPP, or Roncesvalles, or any place.
There is no rule saying you have to carry your pack.
There is no rule saying you have to walk every step EXCEPT for the last 100 kilometers.

There are SO many routes to Santiago.
The Camino beginning can be anywhere, from your front door, to that 100 kilometer marker.

I say HOW you walk, WHERE you walk, and what you skip is your business and nobody else's.
It's ok for people to have opinions. We all do.
But one person's Way isn't necessarily the right WAY for the next person.
If you want to take a bus or taxi... do it, guilt free.
It's YOUR Camino.
To me personally it did not feel that particularly many tried to impose "rules". Most people commenting are phrasing their opinion about how they felt about the sketchiness of said stretch and if they would skip it or not and for what reasons. Exactly what the OP asked for. I personally thought this an interesting thread.
However I absolutely agree about different nuances in the meaning of expressions, that might lead to misunderstanding. Also right about different experiences that will influence the perception of situations and danger. :)

To me personally it did not feel that particularly many tried to impose "rules". Most people commenting are phrasing their opinion about how they felt about the sketchiness of said stretch and if they would skip it or not and for what reasons. Exactly what the OP asked for. I personally thought this an interesting thread.
However I absolutely agree about different nuances in the meaning of expressions, that might lead to misunderstanding. Also right about different experiences that will influence the perception of situations and danger. :)
Agreed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And you thought your shot about "taking a cab from Sarria to Santiago" was helpful to a female noob trying to figure it out?

I think that remark intended to say that we all may all have different perceptions of what is sketchy, and what is not. Some people may perceive the stretch from Sarria to Santiago as sketchy

Anyway. Irony is a beautiful thing.

I just can’t resist breaking with protocol to open up a closed thread and then promptly close it, but I was unable to watch it as it descended into absurdity today. How is it possible that this simple question, asked hundreds of times over the years, turned into such juvenile name calling and sarcasm? What a great way to welcome a new member. The people whose posts have been deleted should be thankful that those posts will not live on permanently as an embarrassing reminder. Sorry, I know this sounds pedantic and school marmish, but so be it. This is just beyond the pale. Surely this is not our new normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
The why is in the article below. https://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/2024/05/07/concello-santiago-estudia-reforzar-conexiones-102021423.html
Here's the dealeo. 😁 Instead of my usual departure city back to the US of A from Paris. I am now coming home from Barcelona. I've done my due diligence in searching how to get from Logrono to...
Where in Santiago can I catch the bus to the airport?
Hello! My name is Molly. I have been wanting to do the camino for YEARS and finally have exactly a one month window later this month, from May 21st to June 21st. I am writing here to see if any of...
I am filling out the Correos bag transportation itinerary and my question is, what do I select as my next destination if my hotel/inn/BnB/apartment is not listed on the drop down menu? Can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back