• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Calling a taxi from the Camino?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I am going to walk with a small group of first time pilgrims from SJPdP to Pamplona next month - I'm calling it a "Push Start" Camino because I'm going to get them started on the way, then I'm going to Bayonne to walk the Norte.

I have been meeting with the group to go over all kinds of things - apps, stage planning, training, etc.
Some of them are wondering how they can call a taxi if necessary while they are on the Camino. I have given them the advice of taking pictures of taxi advertisements that they see posted on trees and telephone poles and or ask someone at a bar to call a taxi for them. But what if they are not near a town and need to call - how best to describe their location with limited Spanish?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"I am going to walk with a small group of first time pilgrims from SJPdP to Pamplona next month - I'm calling it a "Push Start" Camino because I'm going to get them started on the way, then I'm going to Bayonne to walk the Norte.

I have been meeting with the group to go over all kinds of things - apps, stage planning, training, etc.
Some of them are wondering how they can call a taxi if necessary while they are on the Camino. I have given them the advice of taking pictures of taxi advertisements that they see posted on trees and telephone poles and or ask someone at a bar to call a taxi for them. But what if they are not near a town and need to call - how best to describe their location with limited Spanish?
Difficut question. :)

Normally i would say - East or West of "this town on the Camino" - but the problem is to have the taxi driver to identify them from other pilgrims.
They could bring or wear something colorful that they could convey to the driver - "we have a green ballon with us". A ballon could work as it could be deflated when not used.

But I think it would be easiest to get the group to a town or bar and have them direct the taxi to that location.

Alternativly they could have a piece of paper printet that state who they are and what help they are in need of.

Lastly; hitchiking - open their minds to that possibility as it could help them get to the nearest town.

All this said - they most probably wont need a taxi, but being a first time pilgrim can be stressful.

I hope this helps.
Lettinggo

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The "get to a bar" is the best idea but if members of the group do find themselves on the road with no bar in sight and needing to get a cab, here are a couple of thoughts.
1. Make sure members of the group can recognise the difference between a landline number and a mobile number. I think that in Galicia landlines begin with "98". whereas mobile numbers begin with 6 or a 7 and are a total of nine digits. Go for the taxis with mobile numbers, preface it with the international code (+34) and you should be able to WhatsApp. (I don't know the numbers for France).
2. Have a pre-recorded message in Spanish on the Voice Memos App (iPhone) which says something like "I am walking the Camino and need a taxi. I will send you my location. Please send me a message to confirm that you are coming." Send the pre-recorded message to the mobile number.

I am going to walk with a small group of first time pilgrims from SJPdP to Pamplona next month - I'm calling it a "Push Start" Camino because I'm going to get them started on the way, then I'm going to Bayonne to walk the Norte.

There is often taxi info posted in the albergue. Also we have been asked to message a screen shot of our location from a map app.

And they can always ask another peregrino who speaks Spanish to help them.

We walked Del Norte last fall. It’s gorgeous. Enjoy!

If contacting by WhatsApp (probably easiest if not a good Spanish speaker as you could have suitable phrases pre-prepared) you can share your location by pressing the + icon in the bottom left of the message composition screen.
Thanks! I just checked, and on my Android phone it's a 📎 symbol rather than a ➕ symbol that brings up a menu of options, including location sharing.

Screenshot_20230413_075242_WhatsApp.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

If they are familiar with Google maps they can pin their location, copy the pin under "share" and send it by WhatsApp. The taxi will have their exact location.

When I forgot something in a bar once and didn't feel like walking back I called a taxi company to pick me up and then take me back to the spot I called from. My Spanish is decent but to be sure I told the driver I would send him my location on whatsapp. I took a photo of a distinguishing spot nearby and stood there and sent my location to the driver. It was a location that he could safely pull over on to pick me up. He got the location and told me he would be there in 20 minutes. To my amazement he was there in 15!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had trouble finding taxis on the way. I used Whatsapp one Sunday because I was staying 10 km off the Camino. Unfortunately, the taxis never responded. found what was supposed to be a taxi stand near the bus station, but it had no taxis. I finally got some help from the 3rd bar, but it took several hours. This was in Laredo, so not a small town. I found taxis at hotels a couple of other times I needed them, but smaller places and holidays seemed to be an issue.
I had better luck with buses. Any time I needed a bus, most cafes could help, even those far out in the country. Of course sometimes they weren't scheduled for a while!

The "get to a bar" is the best idea but if members of the group do find themselves on the road with no bar in sight and needing to get a cab, here are a couple of thoughts.
1. Make sure members of the group can recognise the difference between a landline number and a mobile number. I think that in Galicia landlines begin with "98". whereas mobile numbers begin with 6 or a 7 and are a total of nine digits. Go for the taxis with mobile numbers, preface it with the international code (+34) and you should be able to WhatsApp. (I don't know the numbers for France).
2. Have a pre-recorded message in Spanish on the Voice Memos App (iPhone) which says something like "I am walking the Camino and need a taxi. I will send you my location. Please send me a message to confirm that you are coming." Send the pre-recorded message to the mobile number.
That’s a great idea. Is the Voice Memos app from Apple or which one would you recommend.

I had trouble finding taxis on the way. I used Whatsapp one Sunday because I was staying 10 km off the Camino. Unfortunately, the taxis never responded. found what was supposed to be a taxi stand near the bus station, but it had no taxis. I finally got some help from the 3rd bar, but it took several hours. This was in Laredo, so not a small town. I found taxis at hotels a couple of other times I needed them, but smaller places and holidays seemed to be an issue.
I had better luck with buses. Any time I needed a bus, most cafes could help, even those far out in the country. Of course sometimes they weren't scheduled for a while!
I think there is less cab service available on Sundays and during siesta.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If contacting by WhatsApp (probably easiest if not a good Spanish speaker as you could have suitable phrases pre-prepared) you can share your location by pressing the + icon in the bottom left of the message composition screen.
Thx! I never knew that!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back