• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightening the Load-Rain , warmth and Sleeping gear for Sarria to Santiago in June

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for 3 recommendations.

I'm on my first, albeit short camino, and really only want to take what makes sense. My pack has a rain cover.

Rain poncho or jacket?

Also,, same question for sleeping. Sleeping bags are so bulky and narrow. I'm a round gal and a side sleeper. I haven't found any good lightweight wide options.I have read many people just use a liner.,but I'd like to have a little warmth if I need it
I'm even thinking lightweight small fleece blanket and a sheet At this point.
Any suggestions?

Finally, is there a better choice than my fleece jacket? It's comfy but it seems bulky.. Thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rain jacket or poncho is entirely a personal choice. Could be a last minute decision based on short term weather forecast for the week.

Get a wide liner and put a small blanket inside. Down is nice.
Fleece jacket? I wouldn't take a bulky one. But think always about the layers you can combine to achieve the warmth you will need. This might even affect the decision about poncho versus jacket, AND your decision about sleeping warmth.

In June - I'd definitely take a poncho, not a jacket. And an umbrella. It is more likely to be hot than cold, but, being Galicia, it is almost guaranteed to rain.

I use a silk liner with stretch comfort panels down the seams. I echo @C clearly's suggestion of putting something inside the liner - in my case a small down throw. I push it aside if it is hot, pull it over myself if cold.

Fleece - I do need an insulation layer of some sort - woollen or fleece or a puffer. It does not have to be fleece. I have a down jacket bought from Uniqlo that was very reasonable in price, and it cinches down to a tiny ball.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Frogg Toggs poncho. Light and cheap. In 6 trips to Spain it has only rained on my for about 20 minutes total in the summer. Lucky I guess. In the summer I use a silk liner bag and put on socks or something if it seems cold or I could put my poncho over the liner if I needed more. It isn't crinkly or noisy.

I don't know how much time before your acual camino you need to pack, but as your camino will be 4-5 days you can possibly see the weather on your camino in the forecast.

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for 3 recommendations.

I'm on my first, albeit short camino, and really only want to take what makes sense. My pack has a rain cover.

Rain poncho or jacket?

Also,, same question for sleeping. Sleeping bags are so bulky and narrow. I'm a round gal and a side sleeper. I haven't found any good lightweight wide options.I have read many people just use a liner.,but I'd like to have a little warmth if I need it
I'm even thinking lightweight small fleece blanket and a sheet At this point.
Any suggestions?

Finally, is there a better choice than my fleece jacket? It's comfy but it seems bulky.. Thoughts?
in the summer, I use a light weight sleeping bag.
I always use a layering system. From the waist down, in the summer, I use zip off pants (2 pairs) and have a pair of rain pants available, if needed. My " luxury" item is a base pair ("long johns") to sleep in at night.
Sooo if I have a few real cold nights, I have a total of 3 layers below the waist AND a sleeping bag. Even in the severe heat of summer, I have always had a few really cold night.
Same for the waist and above. I always have a sleeveless shirt that acts as a type of base layer (I don't like short sleeve shirts as I feel they grab me under the arms. I then have a long sleeve shirt (that I also have ALWAYS needed in the cool mornings. Yes, on top of this I have a light weight fleece AND a lightweight rain jacket for rain. On the coldest of nights in the summer, sometimes I need 3 layeers.
For me, I prefer a lightweight jacket for the rain.
If you know you really sleep hot, you could probably cut out the base layer below the waist and go down to 3 layers from the waist up.
Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.