A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Lightload Towel, has anyone used one?

PaulCat

Camino(s) past & future
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Ran across these Lightload Towels on Amazon and I am intrigued by them. Has anyone used them?

I typically use an Original Packtowl that I like. But These intrigue me becuase of the price.

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
Ran across these Lightload Towels on Amazon and I am intrigued by them. Has anyone used them?

I typically use an Original Packtowl that I like. But These intrigue me becuase of the price.
Yes, I have used light load towels many times. Two important points.
1. They are reusable but still disposable. If you stay in albergues and use it every day it's not going to last. They fray and eventually the fibers pull apart

2. They are a wonderful backup towel weighing 0.5 oz or just bring two.
I stay in a combination of albergues and hotels and I am bringing one knowing from experience it will last that long.
But if you want a comfy towel, I agree with the person who said bring a piece of a cotton towel.
I am not fussy and have used a cotton handkerchief ....so to each their own.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
I still like my baby muslin wrap the most. Weighs next to nothing and dries in minutes and does not stink. Packs down to next to nothing too.

PaulCat

Camino(s) past & future
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
I just bought one of these after reading some reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AT52YS6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3Q5L5KN3C8NE9

I've tried it a couple of times at home and I think I prefer it to my old travel towel... I'm taking it next week so time will tell if I've made the right choice!
I use one of these every day. Twice as heavy as my original packtowl. If I were not carrying everything on my back everyday, I'd pack that towel.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I still like my baby muslin wrap the most. Weighs next to nothing and dries in minutes and does not stink. Packs down to next to nothing too.
I always wonder exactly how much "next to nothing" weighs. You can manage to accumulate about a kilo's worth if stuff that weighs "next to nothing". :)

I like my ultralight Packtowl. The body size (25" x 54") weighs just 3.4 ounces. I actually bought the larger "beach" size because I found it on sale. I cut it down to approximately the same size as my bath towels at home, and it weighs 4 ounces. It's much bigger, and a couple of ounces lighter than the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel that i used previously. I also like the feel of it better. I used a scrap that I had cut off to wrap my soap to keep it dry.

Camino Chris

One step forward...
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I always wonder exactly how much "next to nothing" weighs. You can manage to accumulate about a kilo's worth if stuff that weighs "next to nothing". :)

I like my ultralight Packtowl. The body size (25" x 54") weighs just 3.4 ounces. I actually bought the larger "beach" size because I found it on sale. I cut it down to approximately the same size as my bath towels at home, and it weighs 4 ounces. It's much bigger, and a couple of ounces lighter than the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel that i used previously. I also like the feel of it better. I used a scrap that I had cut off to wrap my soap to keep it dry.
I have several items in my pack that I claim weigh "next to nothing", but you are right that they can add up. ;)
My favorite towel for the Camino is an infant cotton flannel towel. It absorbs very well, dries fast, packs small and I purchased it at Goodwill for $1 US, a tip from a forum member a few years ago. I just weighed it and it comes in at a "next to nothing" 3.2 oz....a winner in my book!

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia

It weighs 65 grams

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
It is about 100 cm square and I got mine at an op shop. You can get them in baby shops or buy a metre or so of muslin at a fabric shop and sew over the edges. Actually, I just weighed it again and it is 80 grams, double thickness. The lightest option is a Japanese Towel. This weighs 48 grams and the dimensions are 100 cm by 33 cm. I prefer the dimension of the baby muslin. The large size of these towels would weigh just under 100 grams and would be really luxurious indeed.
Here are some lightweight Japanese towels, much more environmentally friendly than the usual travel towels available and they don't stink.
https://ottoloom.co.nz/products/moku-lightweight-sports-towel

Last edited:

Dr Ana

Camino(s) past & future
Future plan: easter week 2019 Santa Semana, Sevilla to Porto direction

When u do trekking exotic places where is hard to dry on wet, i bring cottonmade toweling nappy, it looks like quadrat shape light transparent cotton made pampers for old time dressing baby( before was plastic pampers). Its super light and dry fast, and enough absorbing to wash long hair, too. You can find it online if not local shops for baby, they promote it these days as eco ptoduct to save planet

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
trecile Equipment Questions 30
J Equipment Questions 37
jsalt Equipment Questions 30
DeniseT Equipment Questions 24
Espero Equipment Questions 13

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.5%
  • May

Votes: 204 24.0%