• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Linguistic misadventures in Spanish!

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
Someone mentioned elsewhere that the verb "Coger" which means "to grab" in Spain has a rather different meaning in Mexico. I know that my Spanish teacher sometimes corrects us with a rather large grin on her face usually when we have missed some kind of pronoun and totally twisted the meaning as a result.
Any examples of your best Spanish meaning something quite unintended?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A lot, will post a short selection:

"No me gusta la corrida." What I thought I said was "I don't like bull fights." What I actually said was "I don't like quickies."
"Tienes huevos?" (To a male shop keeper) What I thought I said was "Do you have (chicken) eggs?" What I actually said was "Do you have balls?"

For a long time I also confused mantequilla (butter) and manzanilla (chamomile) which let to the interesting drink "infusione de mantequilla" butter tea, not really a typical Spanish drink!

Thankfully the possibility for language mishaps is slightly less when you speak to a Spaniard then when you speak to let's say a Mexican. Words like coger, clavar, concha are perfectly acceptable in Spain but can have 'interesting' connotations in South American Spanish.

Oh, one more that I messed frequently up: Soy buena/Estoy bien. The second means 'I am well.' The first one sounds like 'I am a good one.'

Buen Camino! SY

There is a popular joke :
One Gallego(1) in Buenos Aires asks a local about the bus stop:
Donde puedo coger el bus a Rio de la Plata? Where can I take the bus to...
Through the exhaust pipe, responds the local.

(1)In Argentina all the Spaniards are called Gallegos because the strong inmigration from Galicia.

"No me gusta la corrida." What I thought I said was "I don't like bull fights." What I actually said was "I don't like quickies."
"Tienes huevos?" (To a male shop keeper) What I thought I said was "Do you have (chicken) eggs?" What I actually said was "Do you have balls?"SY
Now I'm really worried. How do I ask for eggs????

A long time ago, I was a high school volunteer at a summer church camp in Mexico. Each evening there was a long sermon in Spanish. Without knowing much Spanish, it felt very, very long so I was always happy to hear the speaker saying "adiós". I knew it didn't seem like a logical way to end a talk but my ears lit up with relief. But then he would just keep talking, perhaps just adding an after thought. Again and again, "adiós" but more and more talking. Eventually, the day came when I could hear the difference between "a Dios" and "goodbye".

Now I'm really worried. How do I ask for eggs????
Haha! Use the wonderful word 'Hay', which means either 'Is/Are there (any)...? ', or 'There is/are (some)...'. It covers a multitude of Camino situations when asking about the availability of food, beds, transport etc. So, 'Hay huevos?'

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I believe there was an Argentinian Polo team,many years ago, called the Conchas Negras who successfully played the European circuit for a couple of years before the Europeans discovered that, in Argentinian, Conchas Negras did not translate as black shells!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a music group in Spain called "Presuntos Implicados" that it would be Persons Suspected of Involvement in Crimes. In Portugal where they played several times their name sounds like "Hams involved".

Oops ! I can see me making a few linguistic blunders. I am enjoying learning some Spanish through Duolingo and I have still have over 3 months to improve. I'll keep it simple, though I am finding learning Spanish grammar quite a challenge.

Buenas noches from Western Australia

I once told a local that I like eating blackberries along the trail, using the word ''moros''(Moors) instead of ''moras''(berries).

With a smile he replied ''are you a cannibal?'' and went on to explain my mistake.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One more false friend: embarasado/a doesn't mean embarrassed, it means --- pregnant ;-) SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is a funny image that popped up in my Facebook page last week showing the vagaries of translation. I don't know how accurate it is. :):)

View attachment 18357
I've just checked the map and there's a camino from Berlin. Gotta learn German. (oh ...... any problem asking for eggs in Germany that I ought to know about?)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
ha ha - this reminds me: at the end of a particularly crazy day as a hospitalera I tried to say 'I need a hug!' (embrace me) - but it came out as 'impregnate me!' I've never seen such a red-faced priest in my life… oops ;)

I can't help myself, but I need to ask: Where was that? SY

Sometimes fatigue just wins out and, even though you might know the correct word, you get "brain fart."

I was sitting outside a bar one late afternoon enjoying a beer after a long hot day, when the bar maid brought me a most welcome little plate of salted peanuts (cacahuates). Later, when I returned my empty glass and plate I thanked her profusely for the avocados (aguacates). I don't think she was going to correct me, but the quizzicle look on her face made me realize my error. We had a good laugh!

Years ago when I first arrived in Spain without any Spanish I made the same mistake. My friends soon corrected me. Just as they laughed when I used to say "Soy caliente", though to be honest that seems an unfair reaction?
My 18 year old mind has the same issue. I don't know how people could be so cruel as to laugh about your mental state!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

"Tienes huevos?" (To a male shop keeper) What I thought I said was "Do you have (chicken) eggs?" What I actually said was "Do you have balls?"

For a long time I also confused mantequilla (butter) and manzanilla (chamomile) which let to the interesting drink "infusione de mantequilla" butter tea, not really a typical Spanish drink!

Thankfully the possibility for language mishaps is slightly less when you speak to a Spaniard then when you speak to let's say a Mexican. Words like coger, clavar, concha are perfectly acceptable in Spain but can have 'interesting' connotations in South American Spanish.

Oh, one more that I messed frequently up: Soy buena/Estoy bien. The second means 'I am well.' The first one sounds like 'I am a good one.'

Buen Camino! SY
I guess in Spain you could ask for a tortilla but in Mexico and in Texas we use "blanquillos" to avoid the other meaning of "huevos."

I can't help myself, but I need to ask: Where was that? SY

Logrono, albergue parroquial Santiago el Real… in the parish building next to the church, which also functions as a community centre during the day… not sure if you know it? anyway sorry if a bit off topic, will try and remember some other faux pas… ;)

Logrono, albergue parroquial Santiago el Real… in the parish building next to the church, which also functions as a community centre during the day… not sure if you know it? anyway sorry if a bit off topic, will try and remember some other faux pas… ;)

Poor Jose Ignacio! I can so imagine his face. Thanks for the laughter, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes fatigue just wins out and, even though you might know the correct word, you get "brain fart."

!

Lol. How I sympathise!
After quite a trying day last year, sat on the terrace of a bar in German-speaking Switzerland. Ordered a glass of wine for myself and a beer for my walking mate. The waitress looked very puzzled 'so you're both sharing the wine, right? No beer? I thought it must be a problem with my accent and repeated 'No, the wine's for me, and a beer for him please'. Still quizzical looks...
A few minutes later, a beer arrives and...a full bottle of wine in front of me. My turn to be puzzled. Walking mate was by then giggling hopelessly 'Do they know you here?' (Haha).
Turns out I had asked - and insisted for - 'eine Flashe Wein' :oops: (A bottle!)
They weren't amused....

Last edited:
When booking a double room in a private albergue for my brother and I using my few words of Spanish, the lady looked at us both and with one hand on hip pointed to us and said "hermanos", misunderstanding I said "no we are brothers" The girl in the que behind started to laugh then said something to the lady dealing with us who also started to laugh, she then explained that hermanos means brothers.

I once told a local that I like eating blackberries along the trail, using the word ''moros''(Moors) instead of ''moras''(berries).

With a smile he replied ''are you a cannibal?'' and went on to explain my mistake.
No pero no puedo decir lo mismo acerca de mi gran-gran-gran-gran-gran-abuelo ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I don't like bull fights would be No me gustan las corridas (de toros).
No me gusta la corrida would be I don't like the bull fight (either the bullfighters or how they are performing). Any sex-related meaning to that sentence would be rare.

¿Tienes huevos? has both meanings. In context, it's perfectly fine to use it to ask if eggs are on sale (even when the shop keeper is male).

And if you said Estoy buena it would mean I'm hot (gorgeous). Well, depending on context, it could also mean I'm healed.

Use the wonderful word 'Hay', which means either 'Is/Are there (any)...? ', or 'There is/are (some)...'. It covers a multitude of Camino situations when asking about the availability of food, beds, transport etc. So, 'Hay huevos?'

If the meaning of huevos is going to be put out of context, it isn't much better than ¿Tienes huevos?
No hay huevos is used to say someone doesn't have the courage to make something...

{number of} huevos, por favor. Is now the safe version I use

...but to use it you have to know beforehand that eggs are on sale. If you aren't sure if eggs are sold on that store or if you think eggs are sold out and you want to use a safe version (I don't think the tienes one is really unsafe but anyway), you might say ¿Vendes huevos? (if you want to know if eggs are on sale) or ¿Te/Le quedan huevos? (if you things eggs are sold out but want to confirm it just in case you missed them or the store owner hand more in the back shop).

Years ago when I first arrived in Spain without any Spanish I made the same mistake. My friends soon corrected me. Just as they laughed when I used to say "Soy caliente", though to be honest that seems an unfair reaction?

If you had said Estoy caliente you would have had other sort of reaction(s)...:)

peanuts (cacahuates)

Cacahuate is the name given to peanut in Mexican Spanish. In Castilian Spanish, it's cacahuete and in many Spanish speaking countries in the Americas it's maní.

No pero no puedo decir lo mismo acerca de mi gran-gran-gran-gran-gran-abuelo

mi gran-gran-gran-gran-gran-abuelo=el bisabuelo de mi tatarabuelo.

Last edited by a moderator:
In context, it's perfectly fine
Thanks, Castilian, for your clarifications. I've been wondering about some of the misadventures, which seemed to be just the type of misinterpretation that can often be inferred even from correct usage. I understand all the good fun in talking about possible innuendo and interpretation. But I was getting a nervous about my own Spanish, which is fairly fluent but far from perfect.

Specifically, isn't "coger" a perfectly good word even in South America? Similarly, new English-learners shouldn't be afraid to buy screws in a hardware store in English.

If I asked my tennis partner "Do you have balls?" he could always joke back about it, but my question was perfectly correct and could be asked in good company (unless it came with a leer!) I could use the word "quickie" in English in various situations and it wouldn't be considered especially vulgar. If I were on the camino and told my partner I felt like a break, and she asked "how long" I might say I just wanted a quickie. She might laugh but my use wouldn't be offensive.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
isn't "coger" a perfectly good word even in South America?

It depends on the specific country. Definitely, it isn't fine in Argentina. It could also arise some problems in Venezuela. In Chile is rarely used. In Colombia, AFAIK, is perfectly fine to use it...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bocadillo Francesa por favor.

Don't carry raw eggs in your backpack.
Bocadillo francesa? First, bocadillo being masculine it would be frances. But eggs are eggs are eggs: huevos. Huevos fritos (sunny side up/fried), revueltos (scrambled), duros (hard boilded). You will sometimes see on the menu a 'revuelto de ...', that's scrambled eggs with something or other.

Bocadillo francesa? First, bocadillo being masculine it would be frances. But eggs are eggs are eggs: huevos. Huevos fritos (sunny side up/fried), revueltos (scrambled), duros (hard boilded). You will sometimes see on the menu a 'revuelto de ...', that's scrambled eggs with something or other.

Oh well. Otros 20 años y yo estare hablando español fluidamente.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There was the time I wanted sinus medications for my 'senos' which interestingly enough works using Google translate from English to Spanish but not from Spanish to English. Depending on how you translate it I don't have 'senos' and the pharmacista was not impressed.

There was the time I wanted sinus medications for my 'senos' which interestingly enough works using Google translate from English to Spanish but not from Spanish to English. Depending on how you translate it I don't have 'senos' and the pharmacista was not impressed.
El seno de la nariz for nasal sinus. Senos = breast, womb (and heart ie heart of the matter). Interesting word. I would love to know the origins of all those meanings. I'm assuming the Latin "hole, cavity" meaning referred to womb and sinuses first, and then the womb shifted to breast/heart next.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We don't translate from English or German or French into Spanish. We happen to speak latin american spanish. Which also had its hilarious moments in Spain with certain words or expressions totally different from Castillano. After all, the same differences are true between English english and American english, Portuguese portuguese and Brazilian portuguese. Not to mention Swiss German ! Vive la différence !;)

El seno de la nariz for nasal sinus. Senos = breast, womb (and heart ie heart of the matter). Interesting word. I would love to know the origins of all those meanings. I'm assuming the Latin "hole, cavity" meaning referred to womb and sinuses first, and then the womb shifted to breast/heart next.
Yes, from cavity/fold, to curve, to breast.

It seems that there are only two successful routes to communicating in a foreign language - in this case some form of Hispanic Spanish.

1) To be totally fluent in the local lingo!
Anything less and the mere adding of an "o" or an "a" to an English word will probably result in howls of laughter and consequent embarrassment on your part or else horror and revulsion on their's!

2) To be pignorant (sic)!
That is to be so inept that the locals interpret your words, looks and gestures and successfully work it all out for you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And the locals on the Camino have over a thousand years experience with method 2) Buen Camino! SY

Fingers arrived before languages. Pointing alongside doleful expressions and had waving satisfies many needs. Though myself I find that fluency lies at the bottom of a glass of vino tinto! :) That actually is not merely jest. I know from personal experience that the first time I thought in French was in my twenties (just yesterday really :() after a significant input of Dubonnet with a French friend.

Ah, yes Al, I to can remember that linguistic fluency but that was, thank the Lord, before the advent of such apps as YouTube, Skype, Viber, Periscope etc to prove my memories false!

Castilian, I wondered whether the Spanish use cacahuate or mani since I saw a reference to Capita'n Mani (dont know how to type accents on my kindle) as a brand of peanut butter in Spain.

A question to the Spaniards... I learned Spanish many years ago in Venezuela where "vosotros" was virtually never used and "usted" was normal except among friends. I am more comfortable using "usted" and "ustedes" (which makes things easier too with fewer verb forms). I understand that "tu" and "vosotros" are more usual in Spain. Can you give me any guidance? Do I sound overly formal (and American) when I use "ustedes"? Also how about "usted" versus "tu."

Thanks

A question to the Spaniards... I learned Spanish many years ago in Venezuela where "vosotros" was virtually never used and "usted" was normal except among friends. I am more comfortable using "usted" and "ustedes" (which makes things easier too with fewer verb forms). I understand that "tu" and "vosotros" are more usual in Spain. Can you give me any guidance? Do I sound overly formal (and American) when I use "ustedes"? Also how about "usted" versus "tu."

Thanks
Let's see... Usted is the polite for of Tu in the singular. Ustedes is plurial. As for the use of vosotros, it is plurial, not the equivalent of usted but rather of ustedes. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it is more or less polite as I do not use it much, if at all. I would consider these interchangeable and therefor cannot imagine that your preference for usteds would be an issue. I associate vosotros with the different conjugation forms used in Spain such as in "vosotros habeis".

The good news is that when you speak to someone you will very often drop the pronoum and just use the verb, unlike in English. For example: "You went", can simply be 'fuiste' in the singular form, or "fueron" in the plurial. "Fueron al pueblo" is just fine, you don't need to say "Tu fuiste al pueblo" or "Vosotros habeis ido al pueblo".

I live in Montreal and cringe when strangers use the 'tu' instead of the 'vous'. I have found Spain to be much more informal and am always a bit surprised by the people in the shops, bars, hospitaleros using the tu when they speak to customers.

Hope this makes some sense ;0)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks

This Polandball comic will explain everything.
http://i.imgur.com/tKchK9E.png

Once when eating and then looking at the desert menu..... there were bonbons or something written like that...but with my small amount of Spanish and obvious misreading.... I asked for the bomberos. They laughed long at that one.

Thanks

As someone who learned Castilian Spanish from the beginning, the decision between tú/vosotros and Ud./Uds. is still one that gives me pause. And as I get older I find that many younger people start with me using Ud. and wait for me to suggest switching to tú. But I have definitely noticed that Spaniards are getting much more informal. In the 70s, young people typically used Ud. to speak with their grandparents, and sometimes even their parents. That is certainly no longer the case.

I´ve become more comfortable using tú to start a conversation, but if you´re afraid it might be too informal, you can always start with Ud., no one will be insulted. Certainly with anyone I met on the Camino, I would jump right in with tú. People in stores, it just depends. I wouldn´t worry about it, one thing that frequently tips the scales for US speakers in the choice between Uds. and vosotros is that the verb forms for vosotros are much more complicated. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

We happen to speak latin american spanish.

I don't think it really exits such thing. There are Spanish speaking countries in Latin America where different variants of Spanish are spoken depending on the area of the country where you are located. The same applies to Spain. Differences among the variants of Spanish spoken in Spanish speaking Latin American countries can be as big (and sometimes even bigger) as the differences between the variants of Spanish spoken in Spain and the variants of Spanish spoken in a Spanish speaking Latin American country.

Which also had its hilarious moments in Spain with certain words or expressions totally different from Castillano.

Please, note spelling: castellano.

Castilian, I wondered whether the Spanish use cacahuate or mani since I saw a reference to Capita'n Mani (dont know how to type accents on my kindle) as a brand of peanut butter in Spain.

As I said above, cacahuete. Cacahuate (the term used in Mexico) isn't used at all in Spain. Manises, a technically -theoretically- incorrect plural of maní, is used in some areas of Spain (it's very popular in the Canary Islands) but I'm not sure if maní is used as the singular in those areas.
BTW, Capitán Maní is sold in Spain but if I'm not wrong, it's a brand from the Americas.

Usted is formal for tú and ustedes is formal for vosotros/as. In some areas of Andalucía, ustedes is used instead of vosotros/as in not formal speaking but they use the vosotros/as verb conjugation when using ustedes in not formal speaking.

Regarding the usted vs tú (and ustedes vs. vosotros/as) question, I would suggest to use usted when talking with officials (police, judges, ministers, official inspectors...), older people, people with high positions within (big) enterprises (directors, CEO...)... and people in similar positions. Otherwise, tú should be fine. The use of usted will sound too formal for some people not used to be addressed with usted but shouldn't arise any problem and people feeling unconfortable with it will request you to change to tú (if you are fine with it); most times politely although from time to time you might hear something along the lines of Hey, I'm not so old as to be addressed using usted. Of course, there are tons of nuances in the use of usted or tú that depends on the specific speaker, the specific receiver of the message of the speaker, sometimes the context too... but a general guideline what I told you may work (or so I think because the use of usted vs tú is quite personal and there are situations when talking with strangers when you have to -try to- guess what form -usted or tú- would prefer that stranger...).

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't think it really exits such thing. There are Spanish speaking countries in Latin America where different variants of Spanish are spoken depending on the area of the country where you are located. The same applies to Spain. .[/QUOTE
Could not agree more. While raised with both "Spanish" Castellano and Mexican "Spanish", when working in Paraguay it took me a good 3 days to start understanding what people were saying to me. The accent is completly different, and a some of the vocabulary also is. Same issue in Chile. Colombian soap operas also put you through your paces, never mind those from Venezuela. Ironically, "Porteno", Castellano spoken in Buenos Aires has been the easiest to adapt to as the accent is Italian as are many words.

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I am glad to use the formal when in doubt, but now I need to brush up on the vosotros verb endings as well.

Not a Spanish mistake, but an English one sometimes committed by my fellow Germans:

The verb 'bekommen' in German means 'to get', but for German ears it sounds very close to the English verb 'to become'. Several times now I have heard some German tourists here asking the waiter in a restaurant: "May I become a beefsteak please?"

SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That's funny SY. It reminds me of one of Maria von Trapp's stories about a German woman in NY, accustomed to bekommen and behalten, who was outraged by the price of cauliflower at a store, so she said, "Behold your cauliflower! I can become cauliflower myself for 50 cents around the corner!"

Thanks, everyone, for the good advice. I am glad to use the formal when in doubt, but now I need to brush up on the vosotros verb endings as well.

I studied Spanish in Spain and in Mexico.

In Mexico I was told that the form 'Vosotros' is never used. I read the papers to aid in learning how to read Spanish. The local newspaper that very day had a front page article that was liberally sprinkled with the 'Vosotros' form (albeit the article was an international article by a Spanish author). I also purchased a copy of the Hobbit where not only was the form 'Vosotros' used but the archaic vosotros form (which isn't taught at all) was used.

In Spain an instructor asked if I preferred to be addressed using the usted or the tu form. There is a word 'tutear' ... tuteme por favor ... address me using the form tu please.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.