Lisbonne to Santiago in october | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Forum App now available
Camino Forum Android APP Camino Forum iOS APP
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims
By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign

Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Lisbonne to Santiago in october

Discussion in 'Camino Portugues' started by Ghislaine, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:18 PM.

1. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Puy-en-Velay à Conques (2009)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    Bonjour à vous,

I am sure that some of you experienced the Portugeese road in october and my question is: "What was your experience with the weather"? I thank you in advance and wish you all, wheatever road you are up to, a excellent Camino.

Ghislaine, from Ottawa, Canada

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 4:25 PM
  2. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Hi, Ghislaine, welcome to the forum,

I have been in Portugal during three different Octobers -- one it rained all the time, one it never rained, and I can't remember the third, so my guess is that it was probably a mixture. Temperatures are likely to be warm or mild, but not cold.

And, are you planning to walk the coast from Lisbon? You have posted in that sub-forum, but it is a very untraveled route. There are actually two options, one follows the coast, one goes a little closer than the "main" Caminho. Good luck with the planning!

3. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    I should have mentionned that it will be Via lusitana. Still, I thank you for your answer. Mild is good enought. Weather is unpredictable and there is not much to do about it. I guess, just be prepared.

I never participated in Forum. I might have posted my question at the wrong place. In any case, thanks again.

4. CaminoMatt73

CaminoMatt73 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances & Portuguese 2016. Via de la Plata & to Porto Mar-June 2017, Norte Way in Sept.
    Last year it didn't rain until I hit Porto but then, it rained frequently but in small amounts in the Galicia valleys. I walked October and November.

5. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    Thank you for your answer. I appreciate. After I wrote the question, I said to myself... what does it really change... it will be what it will be. I guess we're always a bit curious about the experience of others. Thanks again.

6. mcopeland

mcopeland Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
    Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
    Would like to talk with you more about that experience. We walk this year from Lisbon from mid-October to November. We're concerned about finding accommodations that time of year.

7. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    I too will probably walk from Lisbon in October, just waiting for the answer from my friend, but I am not concern about finding accomodations., CaminoMatt 73 could tell.

CaminoMatt73 likes this.
  8. peregrina2000

peregrina2000 Moderator Staff Member Donating Member Donating Member

Last year the albergue in Alpriate stayed open through the end of October, so that is probably a pretty good indication of the typical pilgrim season from Lisbon. I know that the numbers have increased tremendously this year, so I don't know whether they will modify that date. Further north, the numbers are higher, so even though it will be later in the year when you get there, more will likely be open.

When I walked from Lisbon in 2008 there were no albergues but I had no trouble finding places to stay. Many of the towns have small "residenciales" (Pension equivalent) and they are not pilgrim-dependent, so they don't close for the season. Bom caminho, Laurie

9. CaminoMatt73

CaminoMatt73 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Frances & Portuguese 2016. Via de la Plata & to Porto Mar-June 2017, Norte Way in Sept.

As I recall, the first day I stayed at a fire hall for a donation and required assistance to find it but after that, it was pretty easy. I have a PDF guide book for the route and it helped.

Actually, I stayed at two fire halls. It was great though. The southern part of Portugal was tough. I like being alone but that was another level of loneliness. Coimbra and north got a little easier.

Portugal is not Spain. The Portuguese are nice but don't appear to truly recognize the Camino or Fatima.

Either way, have fun. It's walking

10. CaminoMatt73

CaminoMatt73 Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    After Norte route, I'll walk Portugal again. Probably start late October. My flight back to Ottawa isn't until November 16. I'll walk two Caminos for the third time in 14 months. (Addicted)

Ghislaine likes this.
  11. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    There is worst addictions than that one!;) Camino del norte is a beautiful one also! Enjoy envery moment of it!

12. mcopeland

mcopeland Active Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
    Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
    Maybe I should re-phrase that. I do know there are alternatives where to stay. Having done the Frances, I guess we are a little anxious about the support (or lack of it). Also whether we'll see any other pilgrims! When are you going?

13. Lavdrum

Lavdrum New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Via de la Plata-2015
    Camino Portugues, Oct. 2016
    Hi,
    I left Lisbon on Oct.5th 2016. I walked all the way to Santiago finishing about Nov. 5th. The weather was fine most of the time-rain on 3 occasions and then only for a few hours each time. About 10 other pilgrims on the same level as I was. No problem finding accommodation, usually stayed in pilgrim Albergues when available which was most of the time. After Porto it was a bit busier but never any problem with accommodation and I only booked Porto and Santiago accommodation in advance. I found the walk really pleasant overall with ideal temperatures for walking. I brought a light sleeping bag which I used about half the time. Great sense of camaraderie among pilgrims on this Camino and no problem linking up with others to walk with if that is what you want. Seemed very safe to me as it is quite populated and not as remote as the Via de la Plata is. Very good pilgrim infrastructure by way of café-bars, shops etc on this Camino as well. Enjoy your walk!

14. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    I am still not sure when. It could be around Oct. 2nd or the latest, Oct. 8. Nevertheless, I am positive that everything should be fine, with the support you need at the time you need it. You can read what Lavdrum just wrote me and I believe his words might help you to get rid of a bit of anxiety.

15. Ghislaine

Ghislaine New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Francès (2006)
    Camino Del Norte (2012)
    I thank you for your detailed answer. I really appreciate. It's always a bit reassuring, same if weather wise, there is not much we can do about it.
    We take what life brings us and do the best out of it. Thanks again.