• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Coimbra to Santiago

tra

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I'm planning my first Camino in March. I want to fly into Lisbon catch a train to Fatima and then by train to Coimbra where I will start to walk. I'm travelling solo and hope to get to meet people on route.
Any advice would be welcome - is this a good starting point - how long would you recommend to allow (I'm fit but also want to allow time to enjoy the scenery and stop at interesting places).
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum.

The number of walkers increase after Porto, and increase more after Tui and Redondela.
While there is a lot to be said for continuity of walking, I liked Tomar (east of Fatima), and the walk from there to Coimbra much more than the walk from Coimbra to Porto which has more busy roadside walking.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.

The number of walkers increase after Porto, and increase more after Tui and Redondela.
While there is a lot to be said for continuity of walking, I liked Tomar (east of Fatima), and the walk from there to Coimbra much more than the walk from Coimbra to Porto which has more busy roadside walking.

Hope this helps.
That's useful to know. Is it OK to have a broken Camino? Walk Tamar to Coimbra then a bus to and walk Porto to Santiago?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it is, as long as you have continuously walked the last 100k. The stretch from Tomar to Coimbra is beautiful, but not busy. You meet people in albergues rather than on the path. I took the train from Coimbra because the distances between places to stay after that were too great for me.

Thank you everyone. i think my route is now decided. I'm looking forward to walking solo - but hope to meet others at the Albergues.
I'm thinking of setting off very early in the season - the end of February / start of March. Has anyone any thoughts on weather at this time of year?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is no train to Fatima from the airport and no train from Fatima to Coimbra.. We took an Uber from the airport to Fatima last April and walked to Coimbra. You can get a bus to either. And you can walk from the airport to the train/bus station from the airport or take the metro. @jungleboy will know more about the transportation.

There is no train to Fatima from the airport and no train from Fatima to Coimbra.. We took an Uber from the airport to Fatima last April and walked to Coimbra. You can get a bus to either. And you can walk from the airport to the train/bus station from the airport or take the metro. @jungleboy will know more about the transportation.
Fátima is a fairly important bus hub so there should be plenty of connections. One option would be to go from Lisbon to Fátima by bus and then walk the link route to Tomar (about 30km) before joining the CP there (or otherwise bus Fátima-Tomar). Rede Expressos and Flixbus are the major bus companies in Portugal.

Last edited:
Weather-wise, the end of February and beginning of March will probably be chilly with a chance of rain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fátima is a fairly important bus hub so there should be plenty of connections. One option would be to go from Lisbon to Fátima by bus and then walk the link route to Tomar (about 30km) before joining the CP there (or otherwise bus Fátima-Tomar). Rede Expressos and Flixbus are the major companies in Portugal.
We'll take this suggestion when we walk this way again. We generally walked alone and either met others walking at Albergues or some very interesting local people and expats each day. Really enjoyed it.

Bom caminho

I'm planning my first Camino in March. I want to fly into Lisbon catch a train to Fatima and then by train to Coimbra where I will start to walk. I'm travelling solo and hope to get to meet people on route.
Any advice would be welcome - is this a good starting point - how long would you recommend to allow (I'm fit but also want to allow time to enjoy the scenery and stop at interesting places).
Thank you!

Sounds like a great plan if you don’t want to walk from Lisbon- except you will need to take a bus rather than a train.. I’m not sure if the distance from Coimbra but one of the Camino apps will tell you. Divine by your daily km average ( mine is around 20 km per day). Add some rest/ refresh or short days and you will have the number of days needed. There will be others around and numbers will increase after Porto.
It’s a great Camino. Enjoy 😄

Checking the CP app, there are train services from Lisboa-Oriente to Fatima, either with a change at Entroncamento or as a direct service. Getting from the airport to Lisboa-Oriente is a short ride on the Lisbon metro.

Similarly, CP shows several services from Fatima to Coimbra B. Trip durations depend on whether you are taking an inter-city service or a regional service. There are regular urban train services from Coimbra-B to Coimbra if you need to get closer to the centre of the city that way, and the station is served by about six of the Coimbra urban bus routes. These either go to Portagem (the city centre near the bridge) or through to the University and beyond on the north side of the city.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back