• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Little sculptures

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
There's another thread elsewhere on the forums called "The Long and Winding Road" where people are posting their landscape photos of the long and winding road that we walk. I thought I'd start another photo thread of my own for a different kind of photo that I like to take - of the little sculptures that adorn buildings along the way.

I will start the thread with two of my own photos, one from my first Camino, the other from my most recent.

From the first, a little sculpture of Roland and Ferragut on the Palace of the Kings of Navarre in Estella, a great example of civil (non-religious) Romanesque architecture on the Camino and one of the earliest depictions of Roland, signed by Martin of Logroño.
RoalndandFarragut-Estella.jpg

The other is from my last Camino, from Santa María la Real de Nieva on the Camino de Madrid. It is significantly less martial in its depiction.
20230612_131259.jpg

Is there anyone else who likes to take photos of these little sculptures. Which are your favourites?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There's another thread elsewhere on the forums called "The Long and Winding Road" where people are posting their landscape photos of the long and winding road that we walk. I thought I'd start another photo thread of my own for a different kind of photo that I like to take - of the little sculptures that adorn buildings along the way.

I will start the thread with two of my own photos, one from my first Camino, the other from my most recent.

From the first, a little sculpture of Roland and Ferragut on the Palace of the Kings of Navarre in Estella, a great example of civil (non-religious) Romanesque architecture on the Camino and one of the earliest depictions of Roland, signed by Martin of Logroño.
View attachment 165147

The other is from my last Camino, from Santa María la Real de Nieva on the Camino de Madrid. It is significantly less martial in its depiction.
View attachment 165148

Is there anyone else who likes to take photos of these little sculptures. Which are your favourites?
20220416_144645.jpgfountain creature in Estella. April 2022

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Via Campaniensis: Laines-Aux-Bois (between Troyes and Eaux-Puiseaux). The remains of the church portal of St-Pierre-es-Liens (16th century).

2016-04-16-10.50.24.jpg 2016-04-16-10.51.27.jpg

Via Campaniensis: Reims cathedral. The famous Smile of Reims (Le Sourire de Reims).

2016-04-10-13.48.03.jpg

Plus, cheating in a big way because I haven't walked the Camino de Levante, but I was in Valencia this month and secured this detail of the entrance of the Marqués de Dos Aguas Palace:

20240210_142800.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Villamayor de Monjardin
Iglesia de San Andrés Apóstol
capital detail

photo taken October 26, 2013

Villamayor de Monjardin, church, .jpg

This Romanesque capital which depicts fighting knights represents
Charlemagne and a Navarrese Prince.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Santo Domingo de Silos
Cloister
Doubting Thomas, detail

photo taken January 23, 2013

Santo Domingo de Silos, Cloister, Doubting Thomas.jpg

".... reach hither thy hand, and thrust into my side and be not faithless, but believing."
John 20: 27

Especially splendid at Silos was the two story Romanesque cloister embellished with extraordinary sculpted panels such as the Doubting Thomas. ...Perfection to remember forever.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
He sure is interesting and unique, having been carved/chiselled in nearly all linear lines. Do you know if he is an ancient statue, or a newer modernistic representation of the saint?
Modern. I didn't notice until after I posted that Google Maps had the sculptor's name (mostly) shown. Here's the slightly edited introduction to his Wikipedia page:

Josep Maria Subirachs i Sitjar (11 March 1927 – 7 April 2014) was a Spanish sculptor and painter of the late 20th century. His best known work is probably the Passion Facade of the basilica of the Sagrada Família in Barcelona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
These little carvings of heads on the interior walls of the Iglesia de Santa Maria la Blanca in Villácazar de Sirga. They are likely from an earlier destroyed doorway of the western facade - the Puerta del Ángel. These and other carvings from the door were relocated to other spaces in the church after the wall collapsed in1888. I learned this while eavesdropping on a guided tour of the church : )

IMG_1564.jpeg IMG_1568.jpeg IMG_1566.jpeg

His best known work is probably the Passion Facade of the basilica of the Sagrada Família in Barcelona
Rick, could this possibly be the one of that artist's work? I took this photo on my tour of the basilica in October 2019, when I met up with you for coffee before you started your Camino.🙂
Screenshot_20240301-104924~2.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This guy isn't little but he's also not quite life sized and he's interesting. Located in a niche in a wall facing the plaza in front of the monastery at Monserrat the internet identifys him as Sant Jordi, Saint George, the patron saint of Catalonia.

View attachment 165275 View attachment 165276

Modern. I didn't notice until after I posted that Google Maps had the sculptor's name (mostly) shown. Here's the slightly edited introduction to his Wikipedia page:

Josep Maria Subirachs i Sitjar (11 March 1927 – 7 April 2014) was a Spanish sculptor and painter of the late 20th century. His best known work is probably the Passion Facade of the basilica of the Sagrada Família in Barcelona.
LOL! I was just about to comment on the initial post that this is very much Gaudi-esque and reminiscent of La Sagrada. Reckon this explains it :)

Rick, could this possibly be the one of that artist's work? I took this photo on my tour of the basilica in October 2019, when I met up with you for coffee before you started your Camino.🙂
View attachment 165286
Thats Veronica with her veil\towel\blanket (whatever folks think - tke your pick)
I also LOVE Christ's head being The Bible - an Open Book
The Passion side

LOL! I was just about to comment on the initial post that this is very much Gaudi-esque and reminiscent of La Sagrada. Reckon this explains it :)
@CWBuff, you were in Barcelona at almost the same time as Rick and I. You and I communicated by pm about our upcoming ⛴️, taking off just a few days apart.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do details count?

The doors at the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia have a nature motif (eastern transcept?). Do these count as little sculptures?

View attachment 165373

Perhaps these details from other doors there count too. (Western transcept?)

View attachment 165375 View attachment 165374
To my best knowledge it is The Lord's Prayer in many different languages.
I don't have the photo handy but I took one during my 1st trip to Barca in November 2019

Camino Frances
Burgos
cathedral
interior detail

photo taken November 8, 2012

Burgos, cathedral, detail 08.11.2012.jpg

This small memento mori features a child/putto holding a skull. The themes of this infantile combo are not playfulness and childhood but life's fleetingness and the universality of death.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
Santo Domingo de la Calzada

photo taken November 2, 2013

View attachment 165748

Above this doorway distinctive figurative escutcheons, akin to 3D armorial devices, celebrate one family's history/heritage.
I am always amazed by the embellished details you often provide to go with the photos you share.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Santa María de Eunate

photo taken October 22, 2014

Eunate stelle 22.10.2014.jpg

On the slope at Eunate just beyond the now closed albergue is this enigmatic stelle. I have never learned when, why or by whom the stelle was carved.

Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Santa María de Eunate

photo taken October 22, 2014

View attachment 165819

On the slope at Eunate just beyond the now closed albergue is this enigmatic stelle. I have never learned when, why or by whom the stelle was carved.
@mspath I may be experiencing deja vu but I think we had this conversation last year :cool: A local sculptor called Pello Iraizoz.
Post in thread 'On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 10.0' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-one-photo-at-a-time-10-0.76705/post-1119232

I was intrigued by the stela and looked it up. Spending time I didn't too if I had gone on to read the rest of the posts and visit the post linked to by @Bradypus. Anyway, so I haven't completely wasted my time, I post this excerpt from
https://thefogwatch.com/uterga-to-cirauqui-via-puente-la-reina/

One stone stands out covered in mysterious symbols. It took me a while to make the connection between the symbols and the masons’ marks on the church stonework — but the stone records the builders of the church through the marks they made to record the work they did when building the church. This was at a time when builders didn’t typically sign their work, so they have been recorded for posterity known only by their mark.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Valcarlos alternate route
Parish church
Calle Elizaldea, 7
church altar

photos taken October 16, 2012

Matamoros Valcarlos 2012.jpgValcarlos altar 2012.jpg

Saint James Matamoros or Moor slayer rides a spirited white horse beneath which lie slain Moors. This altarpiece dates from 1908, see
luzaide-valcarlos net.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Argones
Muruzábal
Iglesia de Santa María de Eunate

photo taken Octotber 22, 2014

Eunate, stonemason mark.jpg

This distinctive angular mark was left by a stonemason when constructing the Iglesia.

For an English description of the working methods of architectural craftsmen in medieval Spain see the subsection entitled Artists and Professionals, Stonemasons, anonymity and artists' signatures in this Wikipedia article.

On the Primitivo from the Monasterio in Cornellana above the main doorway. The 'bear' on the upper right is stood over a 'child'. eating it? or protecting it?

DSCN0405.JPG

Just off the Primitivo after Lugo is Santa Eulalia de Boveda. The crypt is a romano/ celtic temple dated to the 3rd / 4th century. As old as they come in Northern Spain. Photos of carvings from the entrance. The interior is famous for its wall paintings.

Boveda.1.JPG Boveda.JPG

Blessings
TerryB

€60,-
More from the Primitivo!
Small statue of a Roman soldier on the church in the Cathedral square in Oviedo.

Oviedo.JPG

A replica Roman Milestone at San Roman (after Lugo)

San Roman.1.JPG San Roman.2.JPG

Blessings
Terry B

King David, Adam and Eve and others at
the entrance to the south transcept of Santiago cathedral.
T05800-VER.jpg

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Camino Portugese
Padron
Fuente del Carmen

photo taken December 10, 2011

Padron 10.12.2011.jpg

Legend says that water flowed here miraculously when James struck three times with his staff. In the niche his figure baptizes Queen Lupa, whom he converted to Christianity. The panel below depicts
the " traslación del apóstol Santiago por sus discípulos". Traslación is the act of moving Saint James' body in a stone boat.

I've got a picture that doesn't quite fit either thread category of life-size bronze statues or little sculptures that adorn buildings along the way. In the first mentioned thread there have been some photos of the bronze statue of the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí. That statue has him looking at his creation, the Casa Botines in León, and the sculpture of Catalonia’s patron saint, St. George, over the main entrance. George and his dragon are life-sized, not little, but they adorn a building so I decided to submit my photo here to even Gaudí related things out between the two threads.
Q07000-VER.jpg
Casa Botines was created as a residence above a fabric shop then turned into a bank and now serves as an art museum.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GxA4YW6hEc8sRjBU9

You have turned "little sculptures" into a plethora of tiny ones brought together.
Chrissy, when I read "plethora" I immediately thought of the astonishing facade of the Iglesia de Santa Maria la Real in Sangüesa on the Camino Aragonés. The epitome of a plethora of Little Sculptures!

IMG_9134.jpeg IMG_9132.jpeg

€149,-
Camino Frances
Logroño
Iglesia de Santiago el Real

photo taken January 27, 2008

Logrono, Iglesia de Santiago el Real.jpg

Looking small vewed from Calle de Santiago these figures depict Saint James in two guises associated with his hagiography; on the lower level he is a pilgrim, the upper level depiction is as Matamoros or Moor slayer.

€149,-
@mspath, thank you for the Logrono pic. I sometimes remember that impressive Santiago Matamoros sculpture but never its location. If I took my own picture of it it's not among my survivors. It nice to see it again.

And Dick, for some reason, more than being smile producing, that last pic grabs me.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...
One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.