• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for a walking companion

Frank Mestre

Let’s Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
1st. Camino coming up 29th. April
Camino Frances here I come.
Hi My name is Frank I am Spanish but live in England I am bilingual so might be helpful on the Camino de la Plata. I am looking for an easy going not too deep none smoker/drugs pleasant person to walk the camino with starting towards the end of may. I am a young 60 year old restaurant owner who is hoping to spend some quality time away from the rat race. I am easy going guy who loves a laugh, walking, eating, drinking. I've reached a cross road but not sure which way to go so am looking for answers. Not sure how this forum works but hey. Message me on Face book \thanks Frank Mestre

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi and welcome to the forum @Frank Mestre

As a native Spanish speaker, and bilingual in English, you will have a great time on the Via de la Plata! And don't forget, there are not only other pilgrims to speak to, but also the neighbors that live alongside the way!

Buen Camino, SY

It'll be my first Camino with a companion or not I'll be off. Thanks SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And you will be in much demand as a translator/interpreter/'can you please call the next albergue for me to see if it is open/has a free bed'

Have fun and a Buen Camino, SY

You don't need to fix a walking companion, you will be mobbed! I am walking from Merida starting at Easter so I won't coincide with you, but feel free to contact me via PM on this site if you want to chat or have a drink in london.

Last edited:
Have fun Frank, please keep us in mind on your return. It is nice to get new perspectives.
Buen Camino
Keith

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would love to walk with you. Unfortunately I am not able to head off this year until September so can't, this time. Have a wonderful time!

Don't worry about getting companion before your starting day , this is something that would happen probably the first day at the albergue.
Is going to be difficult to know if the person you meet is going to be your companion all the way through ,( maybe hi or she is going faster than you or slowly or maybe want to stop for a coffee or a sandwich here and there , maybe his walking distance journey is only 20 kilometers or more or less ), I think time and journeys will probably put things together for you , maybe you would like to find your self in the silence walking .( difficult to say it now.
Don't worry just go if you feel the call or the urge to go ), go and enjoy your journey on the Camino.
I have made Camino Frances all the way through and sometimes is good to walk alone and sometimes is good to be walking with other pilgrims.
Enjoy !!
Buen Camino!
By the way I'm Spanish from Madrid ,( but that is not important).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In march 2015 I started alone on the Via de la Plata,for me it was my first Camino too. It was no problem at all, most of the time I walked alone during the day and met up with other pilgrims in the evening in albergues. After about 4 days I started to know a group of people, which developed into a kind of "Camino family" Contacts were easy and enforced by the fact that on the Via de la Plata there are less possibilities to find an albergue or cities.
When I walked sometimes the albergues were full, so it was not a lonely walk. Speaking Spanish is a big advantage, you can make yourself very useful, as SYates allready said. Being able to talk to Spanish people is an important part of walking a Camino I think (I met a lot of people who walked 3,4,5 Camino's and still hardly didn't know any Spanish. I think that that is strange)

As they say, Frank, 'The Camino provides'. Just like packing your bag, I would say don't worry about planning for all the things you think you might need. Once you're on the Way, and you find yourself in need of something, the Camino will surely provide it. So, if find you are in need of company, someone will appear. That's the magic of the Camino.

I have to say that I'm always puzzled by people who want to find a stranger to walk with prior to starting the Camino. While I'm sure that I would love to meet everyone here, and we would likely get along fine, I wouldn't want to commit to walking with someone I don't know! That's one f the great things about the Camino. You can meet lots of people and walk with them or not, and not feel a sense of obligation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the forum @Frank Mestre - I'll be on the Vdlp from mid April so will miss you, but I'm sure you will have a great time. As the others have said, you will never be short of a companion, if you want one - the albergues are a great way of meeting and making friends. It is also good to start your first Camino solo. You will find great freedom in being able to make your own decisions, not being answerable to anyone, meeting the Camino day by day, and having some good thinking time when you want it. Go without expectations and trust yourself - you will be amazed at what you can do. When in doubt - walk.

Buen Camino!

Thanks guys your posts make total sense and give me lots of confidence. Looking forward to it.
Yes Frank!
Don't get compromised before you start your Camino and know the person you would like to share your journey on the Camino , it's like getting married with someone you don't know , first spend some time together and later you take the decision to keep going together or on your own.
Seguro que lo pasaras bien y no te sentirás atado a nadie con quien no te sientas cómodo .
Cada tarde al llegar a los albergues tendrás ocasión de confraternizar con los peregrinos , también a lo largo de la etapa , siéntete cómodo y con libertad ara ir más despacio o más de prisa que los demás , márcate tu propio tiempo de andar o parar y no fuerces ir fuera del ritmo que te pida tu cuerpo ,( el exceso o el defecto suelen pasar factura y más en un camino tan largo como el Vdlp.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi My name is Frank I am Spanish but live in England I am bilingual so might be helpful on the Camino de la Plata. I am looking for an easy going not too deep none smoker/drugs pleasant person to walk the camino with starting towards the end of may. I am a young 60 year old restaurant owner who is hoping to spend some quality time away from the rat race. I am easy going guy who loves a laugh, walking, eating, drinking. I've reached a cross road but not sure which way to go so am looking for answers. Not sure how this forum works but hey. Message me on Face book \thanks Frank Mestre
Hi Frank , enjoy finding yourself and good luck at the crossroads. the answers will come . Paddy, Dublin Ireland, 4th Camino, starting from Seville on 26th April, Vaya con dios

Hi Frank,
I leave SJPDP 1june, I speak Australian and English, some French when the conversations permits lol
Looking forward to first Camino but also little anxious. Maybe we will x paths
enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from AlmerĂ­a. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back