• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looking for property on camino de Santiago

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How wonderful! I wish I could help you, but all I can really offer is good thoughts. Just curious are only looking at the Frances? Or any of the routes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot of the sites on google say they are on it, but are actually 10km away

You have more chances of avoiding that problem by looking for properties at specific Camino towns (I know, it takes much more time). Check too if the search engine(s) that you are using allow to look just for properties in the town you selected without showing nearby properties if there weren't properties available on your selected town.

There are many enterprises in Spain that sell properties, so to look at several of them takes time too but it may worth it.

Otherwise, to walk the camino and look for on sale letters on properties and/or to ask locals in small towns if they know someone on town who might be interested in selling one if his/her properties might be a good idea too.

As far as I know Albergue El Pilar in Rabanal del Camino is still up for sale.
Buen Albergue, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We got back from our camino last year to hear a story on America's National Public Radio (NPR) about whole villages being for sale for cheap in Spain (mainly Galicia) and one was even offered for free. A webpage for that with text, pictures and audio is at http://www.npr.org/sections/paralle...llages-are-up-for-sale-and-theyre-going-cheap and a follow-up story is at http://www.npr.org/2015/08/31/436377471/foreign-buyers-scoop-up-abandoned-spanish-villages

Or you can search the internet for: Spain villages for sale

We are looking for a property on the camino de santiago. Any suggestions or ideas. A lot of the sites on google say they are on it, but are actually 10km away. We may be opening an Albergue but we may just open our house to pilgrims to stop for a cup of tea. So we will consider anything in any region. Just struggling to find properties.

Can I suggest spending some time as a hospitalero before commiting? There's a vast difference between walking the Camino and working on the Camino.

If you go ahead (and good luck to you if you do) search for a decent gap between existing facilities . . . . oh, and start thinking about what your sello will be!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No? What's happened to Maria and her brother?

Nothing serious as far as I know, I think they are simply thinking about an exit strategy when they grow older. The sign was already up as I passed there in 2014, seems there is no real urgency, just an exploring of their possibilities.
Buen Camino, SY

I snapped these two pictures that might interest you. P4220885 is after Cirauqui; I think before Lorca but definitely before Villlatuerta. P4220885.JPG

I took P5060031 as I was entering Castrojeriz, just before Iglesia de San Juan. P5060031.JPG

Also albergue F&M in Cubo del Vino on the Via de la Plata was up for sale/rent as I walked by there this spring.
Buen Albergue, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I suggest spending some time as a hospitalero before commiting? There's a vast difference between walking the Camino and working on the Camino.

If you go ahead (and good luck to you if you do) search for a decent gap between existing facilities . . . . oh, and start thinking about what your sello will be!

Thanks for the comment Jeff. We have ran a gite and been a hospitalero for a very long time in France, so are use to the work and the commitment needed to do the job. We have only been in Spain for 2 years and miss the job so much that we need to get back to doing it. There is something great about making people stay a memorable experience and something ( i hope) we have been doing well for years. It was only having walked the Frances way that we thought of a few ideas to make a stay enjoyable for other pilgrims. We have stayed in a variety of places and can see some run down, some penny pinching so much you feel guilty using a bed, some dirty, overcrowded........Having said that, we have seen many wonderful places too, so we want to pick the best bits of each one and have that as our home and work. We are fortunate enough that we do not need to make huge amounts of money doing it and the rewards for us will be the happy faces of the pilgrims as they carry on wards. We noticed many walkers would walk the extra few kms past a stage to stay at well known Albergues and word got around and they were usually booked up too.

This is only a dream , but big things come from dreams. We may not be able to find the perfect place to buy, but at the very least we will have a couple of spare beds and refreshments.

All we need now is the property

Somewhere I saw that Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui was for sale. I stayed there in 2009 and thought it was lovely.

I'd love to see a private albergue open in O Cebreiro! Considering how saturated some areas are, I've always been surprised nothing has opened there, though maybe there is a good reason (no properties available or somesuch).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Somewhere I saw that Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui was for sale. I stayed there in 2009 and thought it was lovely.

I'd love to see a private albergue open in O Cebreiro! Considering how saturated some areas are, I've always been surprised nothing has opened there, though maybe there is a good reason (no properties available or somesuch).
We had a such a good time and at such a reasonable expense in O Cebreiro. The people were marvelous! And the cheeses? Fantastic!

We had a such a good time and at such a reasonable expense in O Cebreiro. The people were marvelous! And the cheeses? Fantastic!
However the restaurant near the main roadway has very poor service - especially at breakfast

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check the Spanish TROVIT site for properties to rent or buy. You'll have to specify the region/town of your interest.
The subject of buying an albergue on this Forum has been on discussion since 2014.

Check the Spanish TROVIT site for properties to rent or buy. You'll have to specify the region/town of your interest.
The subject of buying an albergue on this Forum has been on discussion since 2014.

TROVIT is absolute rubbish, put the town, region and there are thousands and thousands of houses, but not one way to narrow it down to places on the camino. Even if you search for camino santiago there are hundreds and most are usually miles away.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Spend time doing things constructive rather than judging others: try perhaps Pisos.com ? Or other agencies in Spain ? You no doubt speak and understand Castillano and with the right keywords Internet is a treasure grove.
A good approach is: first to define the location(s) which interest(s) you. Then visit these and talk to the locals: at the municipality, banks, shops, hotel operators, etc. explaining what you are looking for. Ultimately inspect, negotiate and take a decision.
Do note that the track is well beaten and that every seller has $$$-signs in his/her eyes!;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are looking for a property on the camino de santiago. Any suggestions or ideas. A lot of the sites on google say they are on it, but are actually 10km away. We may be opening an Albergue but we may just open our house to pilgrims to stop for a cup of tea. So we will consider anything in any region. Just struggling to find properties.

I walked the Camino in May and as a sort of 'Proprty nerd' always had my eye open for things for sale. I saw literally dozens of properties with for sale signs the vast majority in a fairly ruinous state but with huge potential. My advice would be to choose a few locales that you are particularly taken with ideally go there and sit in a bar and start asking. Looking for property in Spain on the Internet is actually quite hard work but there are a few sites that do work. Try kyero.com who have very comprehensive listings. Not sure that searching with the words Camino or Albergue will really help. Best of luck.

I walked the Camino in May and as a sort of 'Proprty nerd' always had my eye open for things for sale. I saw literally dozens of properties with for sale signs the vast majority in a fairly ruinous state but with huge potential. My advice would be to choose a few locales that you are particularly taken with ideally go there and sit in a bar and start asking. Looking for property in Spain on the Internet is actually quite hard work but there are a few sites that do work. Try kyero.com who have very comprehensive listings. Not sure that searching with the words Camino or Albergue will really help. Best of luck.
There are several Albergues for sale on a website called thinkspain.com including one in Samos, and one in Triacastella

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This solid looking property is on one side of a square in Castrojerez. You can ring the estate agents from the number shown on the sign. It is bang on the Camino. I wouldn't mind putting in a bid for it myself but.........................

Attachments

• Property Castlejerez.jpg
    Property Castlejerez.jpg
    758.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The absolutely best run albergue on the camino frances is La Casa Magica in Villatuerte:

http://alberguevillatuerta.com/

They really understand what the pilgrim needs.

They were reputedly up for sale not so long ago . . . . maybe they still are?
http://alberguevillatuerta.com/ The world class cook is open to proposals. :cool: The banks are probably less elastic

When i found out the story a few years ago now about this albergue i nearly cried.
The Banks murdered them because of the GFC.
They were successful but the banks required a bigger deposit than the one already paid a year earlier and the loan term was decreased
How
The Banks just revalued the albergue .

Have cash and buy Bank shares , have nothing to do with them

If you do get an albergue here is something that would be easy to do at first but harder to add later: put an electrical outlet in each locker for charging electronics.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing serious as far as I know, I think they are simply thinking about an exit strategy when they grow older. The sign was already up as I passed there in 2014, seems there is no real urgency, just an exploring of their possibilities.
Buen Camino, SY

The sign was up,when I stayed there in 2012! Clearly an illiquid business. For some reason I learned they were asking for 800k€ at the time, or at least that's what I remember.

Stayed in Albergue Maralotx in 2013 and just happened to notice in a town a little further in an estate agents window that it was for sale. The quoted price then was €600,000 !

The sign was up,when I stayed there in 2012! Clearly an illiquid business. For some reason I learned they were asking for 800k€ at the time, or at least that's what I remember.

Stayed in Albergue Maralotx in 2013 and just happened to notice in a town a little further in an estate agents window that it was for sale. The quoted price then was €600,000 !

Cirauqui figures would be very good.
A popular place , accommodates 40 people.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was talking with the owner of tne albergue I stayed at in Fisterra. His family has owned the building, so while it had to be converted they did not have to buy it. He needs 8 pilgrims a day, year round, to break even. That means many many more guests than the 3 of us who were there in May during summer months.

As far as I know Albergue El Pilar in Rabanal del Camino is still up for sale.
Buen Albergue, SY

Update on Albergue El Pilar: after all these years, a buyer has been found!
Jorge and Sonia, who have run Hostal Moratinos for the past few years on the Meseta, are returning to the Montes de Leon as new proprietors at Albergue El Pilar.
Despite what the rumor mills have generated about German hotel chains and high-end B&Bs, they intend to keep things simple and open up the closed-in spaces a bit more, offer private en-suite rooms in addition to the dormitory spaces, and not mess too much with the success that put this old-school place on the albergue map.
(Also please note: El Pilar is NOT "the original" albergue in Rabanal. Pilgrims slept in the abandoned schoolhouse before it was turned into the municipal albergue, but the first real place to stay was Refugio Gaucelmo, the "British albergue" that started the international amigos-administered trend back 30+ years ago now. )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back