• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Looks like I might have some trouble at Madrid Airport

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I din't realise that I arrive on T2 and the ALSA bus to León goes from T4. I googled a little bit and found out that the time from landing to actually be on T4 can take up to one hour. I only have 55 minutes between the arrival of the flight and the bus departure. I will travel with only carry on luggage.

Any one who knows if that will be possible to catch the bus or not. Otherwise I have to book another bus but then I'l be so late in León that I probably can't checkin at the hotell. Will check with Parador if it is possible to arrive at 01:30 in the morning. Or shall I sleep in Madrid (losing one day) or sleep on the airport for a while and then on a night bus arriving in León at 06:30 in the morning?

I saw that there is a Renfe train leaving Chamartin 2 h and 45 min after my arrival at T2, will I make that? Do I have to book the train in advance?

Any suggestions?

On my way home I'll arrive at T4 1 h and 40 minutes before my next flight at T2, I guess that is way to tight as well? There is an earlier flight so I guess I should change that one. Will see if they can change it for free as the agency never gave the info about the terminal when I booked. Otherwise I have to buy a new ticket if you say it will be to tight :-/

If it matters I'm travelling within Schengen as a Schengen citizen.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Shuttle T1T2T3 to T4 is 8 minutes. I can't find frequency of service. If it is one shuttle doing the rounds you could end up waiting as much as half an hour if you just miss it.

While 55 minutes is definately very tight to make your bus, 2 hours and 45 minutes is lots of time to get from airport to Chamartin.

T1T2T3 to train station Chamartin is best achieved with Madrid Metro. It runs frequently. I'd allow an hour.

Renfe website with my limited understanding of Spanish indicates you can buy a ticket while on the train but that is a cash only purchase. You can buy tickets at the station just prior to boarding. There have been reports of long line ups while ticket machines go unused. The ticket machines are apparently Spanish only. For your timings ... I'd suggest purchase in advance.

If you use train as plan B ... If you get to T4 and miss your bus you can buy your Renfe ticket to Leon at the Renfe Cercanius desk. Cercanius is fastest way to Chamartin but runs only every half hour.

2002 Madrid Airport

The airport in Madrid is called Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are connected while T4 is connected via shuttle. Terminal 4S is connected to Terminal 4 by Automatic People Mover (APM) and has a shuttle stop.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the shuttle to T4 is located here
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

2003 Getting around in Madrid

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro), light rail transit (Cercanius), and Express bus (EMT).

Madrid Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes.

Madrid Cercanius has a station at T4. The trains run every 30 minutes.

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

2004 Train Service Madrid

Renfe operates Spain's national train network.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4.

Hi Beatrice. I'm just back from the joys of the Salvador / Primitivo.

I really think 55mins is too tight from landing. You would need to be on VIP Fast-track to make that schedule. I took the train from Madrid Chamartin to Leon, €37 (though cheaper for me with a Tarjeta Dorada) 2hrs 40mins and easy. Ticket queues at Chamartin were moving fairly quickly on a wednesday afternoon.

The shuttle bus to T4 is fairly quick but like others I can't find any indication of frequency. The Cercanious C1 to Chamartin is very quick, departures 28 & 58 minutes past the hour. Ticket machines are easy to use just make sure you have some € coins or a small note.

Enjoy yourself, Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you both. Looks like I have to take the train then. Or try to grab the bus and if it fails go for the train.

I guess I have to reschedule the flight back home as well. I checked Iberian recommendations and the say 165 minutes when transfer from T4 to T1 and I only have 100 minutes.

Feel so stupid that I didn't check the terminals before booking the flight from Santiago. The agency didn't have the info on there web site and I haven't the knowledge about what flights land on which terminal for all airports in my head. Will probably cost me about €300 :-(

Beatrice:

The bus between terminals runs pretty frequently and Customs in Spain has never been much of a delay. Therefore you have a chance at the bus. That said, if you miss the bus the train is a very good option. Depending on your schedule, you can take a cab from T2 to Chamartin for about 30 euro's and a fifteen minute ride. If time permits, take airport bus to T4 and then take train from lower level to Chamartin. You can purchase your ticket all the way through to Oviedo or Leon, depending on your final destination.

Ultreya,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back