• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping in Madrid Airport?

goldie from aus

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
First Camino is fast approaching - 60 odd days to go, nerves kicking in. As a result of International flight change having to juggle plans loosing day for walking. Wondered if anyone had (or if you can) stay overnight at Madrid Airport. Will be getting there late and flying out early. 👣👣👣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tend to check the website sleeping in airports for info

And also useful is about water in airports

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For those of us that often sleep at airports (you know who you are)….

And Madrid specific!

I "tried" to sleep in Madrid airport it wasn't very successful, nobody said anything or told me to move so it's okay to lie on the floor wherever is suitable but McDonald's was open, I'm not sure if it was open all night, I stayed chatting to people until after 2 in the morning, it made for a shorter wait

I "tried" to sleep in Madrid airport it wasn't very successful, nobody said anything or told me to move so it's okay to lie on the floor wherever is suitable but McDonald's was open, I'm not sure if it was open all night, I stayed chatting to people until after 2 in the morning, it made for a shorter wait
Yes I have slept at quite a few airports over the last few years after arriving very late or getting an early flight though I cannot remember doing so at Madrid. Loads of people do it and normally there are catering facilities open all night in the bigger airports. The ability to sleep I guess spends on the individual (some people can sleep anywhere)!

It’s not for everyone and the ‘overnighters’ tend to be a mix of the hardcore, the mad, and the hard up!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same here. Uncomfortable but convenient

First Camino is fast approaching - 60 odd days to go, nerves kicking in. As a result of International flight change having to juggle plans loosing day for walking. Wondered if anyone had (or if you can) stay overnight at Madrid Airport. Will be getting there late and flying out early. 👣👣👣
I slept there on an overnight layover to Malaga. There are playgrounds with semi cushioned ground in some areas - not too bad...with earplugs.

I slept at BCN airport át McDonald’s several times. It was fun. They might check if you have a ticket, but that’s all. However, you cannot sleep at railway stations (if you don’t hide) as they close for some hours. ☺️⭐😉

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sleeping in airports is a nightmare for me, but I have done it a few times. My best experience was at the Istanbul airport because the arms on the seats could be lifted up to create a space to lay down, so we napped a different gate where no flights were scheduled. Peace and quiet and a true lay down. I wish all airports had that option, but unfortunately they don't.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is also a hotel inside the airport on the lower level, AirRooms. I’ve used it on a couple of occasions. Not as inexpensive as sleeping on the floor, but you get a decent nights sleep and a shower……..

This last post from FRM is more my speed. I don't do floors anymore. But, I have done airport located hotels - inside security - before. Would you happen to have a web address to search the Air Rooms?

Thanks.

Here is the website for the hotel (appears they are at 3 different airports): https://hellosky.travel/locations

I’ve used booking.com in the past a was able to get a better price than that listed on their website. It’s outside of security, but if you are leaving before the sun rises the lines aren’t long……

Best,
Frm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here is the website for the hotel (appears they are at 3 different airports): https://hellosky.travel/locations

I’ve used booking.com in the past a was able to get a better price than that listed on their website. It’s outside of security, but if you are leaving before the sun rises the lines aren’t long……

Best,
Frm
Just checked for Oct. 2nd 2023 and the price was 280 euros. 3rd was 250. It seems to be more expensive than hotels around the airport. I remember getting a room very close to MAD for around 100 in September 2022.

Best,
Frm
Thank you very much.

The local town of Barajas is very close to airport and has a number of cheap hotels - I think Hostal Viky - has been recommended by a few on here - and a rate of <100 USD.

€46,-
Depending on how late you arrive, it may be possible to take the metro from the airport to Plaza del Sol and then stay in a nearby backpacker's hostel.

Good to know it’s possible. Flights to Australia are often early departures. On Oct 30 2023 it’s another early dep. 8.15am.

Last two times departing Madrid I’ve stayed at hotel near airport and even though they advertise a shuttle … unfortunately the earliest shuttle was departing hotel just after 6am. So I’ve had to book a taxi anyway.

I gather from checking the airport info that the Madrid airport is open 24hrs. So wondering from anyone else - what time they have caught the cercanias to the airport. Also I assume I would need to hang out in T4 until check in opens (?? 6am. I have found that these guys don’t usually open for check in bags before 6am / before it’s possible to proceed to T4S. …??? (Right or wrong ?) even though international flight passengers are requested to present 3 hrs before flights.

So wondering how you went finding food or coffee. (Take food with you?) to keep you going until morning.

So I am thinking of either this ‘camping at airport ‘ or booking into one of those rooms at airport mentioned earlier in the thread. Has anyone stayed in one of those ? Is it tricky getting from there to check in area ? Ie can you walk it ?

Decisions decisions. 🤪🤪. I don’t like early departures.

Tks Annie.

Last edited:
Good to know it’s possible. Flights to Australia are often early departures. On Oct 30 2023 it’s another early dep. 8.15am.

Last two times departing Madrid I’ve stayed at hotel near airport and even though they advertise a shuttle … unfortunately the earliest shuttle was departing hotel just after 6am. So I’ve had to book a taxi anyway.

I gather from checking the airport info that the Madrid airport is open 24hrs. So wondering from anyone else - what time they have caught the cercanias to the airport. Also I assume I would need to hang out in T4 until check in opens (?? 6am. I have found that these guys don’t usually open for check in bags before 6am / before it’s possible to proceed to T4S. …??? (Right or wrong ?) even though international flight passengers are requested to present 3 hrs before flights.

So wondering how you went finding food or coffee. (Take food with you?) to keep you going until morning.

So I am thinking of either this ‘camping at airport ‘ or booking into one of those rooms at airport mentioned earlier in the thread. Has anyone stayed in one of those ? Is it tricky getting from there to check in area ? Ie can you walk it ?

Decisions decisions. 🤪🤪. I don’t like early departures.

Tks Annie.
The Air Rooms in MAD tend to come in at £150 a night. Barajas, one metro stop down and 4 euro, is a good place to stay. Quite quaint and some nice bars. I spend an afternoon there when waiting for an afternoon or evening flight. Folks recommend Hotel Viky. Currently about £60 a night. Cheaper options are an available including dorms (Hostelfly) from £22. I think the first metro gets you to airport about 0630 so your call whether that is too late or not!!

Otherwise

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back