• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid, Segovia and León?

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
On the 1st December I will be flying to Madrid from Manchester to walk towards León, or going to León and walking to Santiago(yet to decide), and I am looking to stay as close to the route along Calle de Santiago as possible if I leave on the 2nd from Madrid and see where 14 days towards the Camino Frances gets me...

My question is - is there an Albergue in Madrid or am I looking Hostels, etc - the Albergue run by the Korean association looks to be closed?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was in May in "Hostal Central Palace Madrid", two days. The location is exceptional - 50-100m from Calle de Santiago, right across from the Royal Palace. However, the price is "non-Albergue": €85 for two people per night. The room is very large and nicely decorated.
Buen Camino!

I've stayed in a backpacker hostal called Las Musas on Calle Jesus y Maria near Tirso de Molina metro station in central Madrid. I booked a bed in a double room. It's a fun place to stay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On the 1st December I will be flying to Madrid from Manchester to walk towards León, or going to León and walking to Santiago(yet to decide), and I am looking to stay as close to the route along Calle de Santiago as possible if I leave on the 2nd from Madrid and see where 14 days towards the Camino Frances gets me...

My question is - is there an Albergue in Madrid or am I looking Hostels, etc - the Albergue run by the Korean association looks to be closed?
Gronze has listings for Madrid https://www.gronze.com/etapa/madrid/tres-cantos

@futurefjp If you decide to do the Camino de Madrid, then I highly recommend a rest day in Segovia. Firstly, because you will probably be VERY tired from walking (32km and 600-700m difference in altitude if you go from Cercedilla) and secondly, because Segovia is really worth an extra day
@m108 ,
you are absolutely right , after I complete my Camino walk from SJPP in June , I took the fast train( 3.15 hours from Santiago) to Madrid , stay there 4/5 days and made the day trips to Segovia and Toledo . It was so worth it . Love those both cities and Madrid Centro.
To me Spain is simply beautiful.
Buen Camino and Cheers to all.
🇨🇦

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@futurefjp If you decide to do the Camino de Madrid, then I highly recommend a rest day in Segovia. Firstly, because you will probably be VERY tired from walking (32km and 600-700m difference in altitude if you go from Cercedilla) and secondly, because Segovia is really worth an extra day
Totally agree about a rest day in Segovia!

Another to consider is the walking conditions after leaving Cercedilla. As noted, there is quite a lot of elevation gain and I think it would be wise to check about snow being a possibility in that stage. Accommodation could be a challenge in other sections so it would be worth checking ahead of time. The Camino Madrid is a wonderful route but there are few pilgrims even at the busiest times so services would likely be limited in December.

Yes, there is an albergue in Madrid. I see that another peregrino responded with the information. Some advice from someone who absolutely loved the Camino Madrid.

1. Check on the weather. We specifically chose to walk in October when the weather is cooler but there is no snow in the mountain pass before Segovia. That is a very tough slog up the mountain on an old Roman road that has been reduced to broken rocks. If there's snow it may be impassable.
2. We got our credential and pilgrim blessing at the Iglesia de Santiago in Madrid. It's a great way to start.
3. We took a bus out of Madrid to bypass what we understood was a very unpleasant urban walk. You can also take the Metro. We were glad we did as our first day walk was very pleasant.
4. We encountered very few other peregrinos. Call ahead to make sure albergues in the small villages are open. Even in October, it took some calling to find someone who had a key to open the door. We often were the only ones in the albergue.
5. Spend an extra night in Segovia. So much to see and enjoy. One of the top treasures of Spain.

Without question, of the 9 camino paths we have walked, this one tops them all in terms of being embraced by the villagers. They are such a joy, so delighted to host a peregrino. 5 of our most memorable stays in albergues were on this camino.

And if you don't mind solitude during your walk, I can guarantee that walking in the winter (or almost anytime on the Camino Madrid) will provide that. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes I crossed the route from Toledo along the mountains back in 2019, to Avila, so I know I may not be able to go through the mountains... First things first leaving Madrid after a couple of nights (I arrive fairly late on the 1st) and trying to get to Segovia by foot if possible...

The Korean association Albergue looks closed is there another?

I don't know if this would be of use or not, but here is the link to my blog post from walking to Camino Madrid to Sahagun and then the Camino Frances to Santiago. I walked this with two friends. Took me a while to write about the experience because life intervened. The post is about our personal experience not necessarily for advice or doing it the way we did. http://erniefraser.blogspot.com/2018/08/walking-camino-again-septoct-2016.html

Yes, there is an albergue in Madrid. I see that another peregrino responded with the information.
I see some recommendations for accommodation - mainly hostales, but these are not what I would call albergues. There are also "hostels" in Madrid where people rent beds in a dormitory-style room, but they are not specifically for pilgrims.

This thread tells about a pilgrim welcome centre in Madrid, but I don't think there is an albergue associated with it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a tourist, back around 2001, I visited Segovia for the day, from Madrid - which was my base then, but I really was a very different person to the one currently who discovered the Camino life in 2013...

If the weather is bad in Cercedilla going up the pass I will catch the train, which seems an option, to Segovia early the next morning, spend the day there then continue on. But this Roman road sounds so attractive I may just pack more thermals, etc, and head over the pass. I am not in Madrid yet though and hate to get too far ahead of the day to day experience of the Camino?

As a tourist, back around 2001, I visited Segovia for the day, from Madrid - which was my base then, but I really was a very different person to the one currently who discovered the Camino life in 2013...

If the weather is bad in Cercedilla going up the pass I will catch the train, which seems an option, to Segovia early the next morning, spend the day there then continue on. But this Roman road sounds so attractive I may just pack more thermals, etc, and head over the pass. I am not in Madrid yet though and hate to get too far ahead of the day to day experience of the Camino?
Attractive? Only in the sense that you are walking in history, as so much of the camino is. It's a challenge walking on broken stones up a long, steep incline. Once at the top, it's a wide, winding fire road down, down, down to Segovia, which you can see early on and throughout the walk. Rather than attractive, I would use the word unforgettable. It was for us.

We stayed at a small upstairs hotel in the heart of upper Segovia. The keys were at the bar across the street. It was wonderful. We appreciated a shower, towels and a nice bed.

Attractive? Only in the sense that you are walking in history, as so much of the camino is. It's a challenge walking on broken stones up a long, steep incline. Once at the top, it's a wide, winding fire road down, down, down to Segovia, which you can see early on and throughout the walk. Rather than attractive, I would use the word unforgettable. It was for us.

We stayed at a small upstairs hotel in the heart of upper Segovia. The keys were at the bar across the street. It was wonderful. We appreciated a shower, towels and a nice bed.
I mean attractive like a magnet!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I mean attractive like a magnet!
Sierra de Guadarrama - It is among the three most beautiful days on my Caminos.
Even so, if I hadn't booked a place to stay, I would have probably slept 3km before Segovia 😂 , under the railway overpass😱. Seriously (68 years old, overweight, 32km, ascent and descent and on your back everything you need for that day, because there is no food, drink,...).
And I'm still "attracted like a magnet"😍

Sierra de Guadarrama - It is among the three most beautiful days on my Caminos.
Even so, if I hadn't booked a place to stay, I would have probably slept 3km before Segovia 😂 , under the railway overpass😱. Seriously (68 years old, overweight, 32km, ascent and descent and on your back everything you need for that day, because there is no food, drink,...).
And I'm still "attracted like a magnet"😍
Wonderful photos/videos. Brings back memories. The Camino Madrid is like no other. We did not know what to expect. Every day was a new adventure. And beyond Segovia were some of our all-time favorite adventures, including a side trip we made to Valledolid, which we loved.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I'm on Camino Madrid right now , some of the Albergue s are closed ,I'll be joining Camino Frances after that but the Albergue s I stayed in along the way were fantastic Cound not complain about anything one warning if you choose this route use 2 or3 different Apps it's not easy to follow this camino I've been off trail a few times,Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Looks like, 99%, I need to postpone this Camino until March: my finances just won't stretch this December! So frustrating... But I've done quite a lot of wandering this year already! I'll be so eager come March 2023 to set off again!

Walking the Camino Madrid has completely consumed me.
While I realize my approach to My Camino is different, I don't think I'm unique. If the only route was The Francés, I believe that my interest walking The Camino would have waned. My journey began as way to walk it with my wife ( her spirit, at least). She would have chosen The Frances because of her ability level and love of meeting people. She also would have loved to have walked the more difficult routes. My goal now is to take her along those routes.
Every place I've read that talks about The Camino Madrid talks about it joining The Francés. But, My route will only join The Francés as little as possible. I'll walk The del Salvador to Oviedo, then take The Primivito. I'm still looking at options of walking from Sahagún to Oviedo that will cut out the Francés, altogether.
I need access to water and food. While it would be nice to have access to small towns and a shower, it's not a necessity. As I told someone, recently, if I only travel 5 kilometers and come to a spot where I think "THIS is a place from where I want to see the stars and watch the sunrise", I can.
I'm not casting judgement on The Francés, or those that walk it. It's just not MY Camino.
Looking solely at Google Maps, it shows a route north from Sahagún and joining The Salvador at La Robla.
But, maps never tell the full story. If anyone has traveled that route, I'd love to hear their thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back