• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to St Jean thru Pamplona

John Fraser

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello fellow pilgrims

I have a problem that has been touched on a bit, but I am still a bit unclear. Arriving on Monday, April 24 at 10:15AM in Madrid, I wanted to get flight to Biarritz and then on to St Jean. For some reason that Monday, the flight is at 9AM and not at 12:05 like other days.

I have explored going thru Pamplona, but from there to St Jean has rather limited choices.

Any ideas?

Thanks for help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I find it so easy to go from Madrid to St Jean via Pamplona that I've never considered going via Biarritz. What is limited about the route from Pamplona to St Jean? There are local buses going directly from Pamplona to St Jean several times a day.

Oh, and welcome to the forum @John Fraser , and buen camino!

I should have added that the bus (Conda, a subsidiary of Alsa) leaves from Pamplona to St Jean at 1730 each day. It takes one hour and 45 minutes. By June there is a second bus - it could run earlier this year because last year they extended the season to December, to meet the demand. It runs at 1430.

There are extensive links in the "Traveling to/from the Camino" section of the forum, giving you various options:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ravel-from-madrid-to-sjpdp-via-bayonne.23517/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you very much for your reply.
I thought the only bus was at 230PM and I won't be able to get to Pamplona by then

It is quite hard to find the timetable (or I find it so) but here is a screen grab from the Conda website:

Conda Bus Schedule.jpeg

So, from that current website it appears I was wrong, that the 17:30 bus does not start operating until 1 April - which is tomorrow, so you should be OK!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So, from that current website it appears I was wrong, that the 17:30 bus does not start operating until 1 April - which is tomorrow, so you should be OK!

Thanks Konga, but isnt this the schedule departing from St jean, not from Pamplona?

Hello fellow pilgrims

I have a problem that has been touched on a bit, but I am still a bit unclear. Arriving on Monday, April 24 at 10:15AM in Madrid, I wanted to get flight to Biarritz and then on to St Jean. For some reason that Monday, the flight is at 9AM and not at 12:05 like other days.

I have explored going thru Pamplona, but from there to St Jean has rather limited choices.

Any ideas?

Thanks for help.
I just booked an Alsa bus from Pamplona to St. Jean 2 days ago. It leaves at 2:30 and 17:30 I believe every day, though I'm not positive about that. I booked for April 29th and that was the case. It was 22 euros.

[Edit: The schedule I originally included below in this post was incorrect. See the post by @whariwharangi following this one and one that I will be adding later with new information.]

Here is an interactive map for use getting a street bus from Pamplona's train station to its bus station. Click the red pins to get instructions and pictures.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is a Pamplona to St. Jean schedule at http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

I reworked the data into this format:
January 1 to end of February: No service
March 1 to March 31: 14:30
April 1 to May 30: 14:30 17:30
June 1 to June 19: 10:00 14:30 17:30
June 20 to September 5: 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
September 6 to September 30: 10:00 14:30 17:30
October 1 to November 2: 14:30 17:30
November 3 to December 31: No service

Here is an interactive map for use getting a street bus from Pamplona's train station to its bus station. Click the red pins to get instructions and pictures.

Problem with this is the CONDA site does not accurately show the schedule. The actual schedule is published on the ALSA site ... because ALSA owns a majority stake in CONDA. (I think CONDA is a flagship for Navarra and so continues to exist) For instance the ALSA site does not show a 1730 bus until mid April. The CONDA site can only be used as an estimate ... it posted the 1 April long before ALSA updated its schedule (usually not updated more than a month in advance) for April.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow pilgrims

Any ideas?

Thanks for help.

Try flying from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. The airport is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye where you can catch an SNCF train to Bayonne and from Bayonne to SJPdP.

The train from Bayonne to SJPdP is currently out of service due to track damage. Buses are used in place with no changes to schedule. Service runs 3 or 4 times daily all year.

You can also get to Hendaye using Renfe train to Irun/Hendaye. Or, ALSA bus runs from Madrid to San Sebastian. Renfe Cercanias operates trains from San Sebastian to Irun.

I just booked an Alsa bus from Pamplona to St. Jean 2 days ago. It leaves at 2:30 and 17:30 I believe every day, though I'm not positive about that. I booked for April 29th and that was the case. It was 22 euros.

Great info. I've been wondering about this ever since I booked my flight (May 31st/Arrive Pamplona June 1st). I'm assuming I can get a bus from Pamplona airport to Pamplona where I would like to spend the night before going on to St. Jean the next day. Thanks for the post.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm assuming I can get a bus from Pamplona airport to Pamplona where I would like to spend the night before going on to St. Jean the next day.
I have not seen anything about buses running from the Pamplona airport to the city. There is a street bus (line 16) that runs past the terminal but does not stop there. You could walk out the access road and cross the street and walk north (left) through an industrial area to a bus shelter or south (right) to one. That is is a commercial/residental zone. From views with Google streetview that is the way I would go. That walk would be about 1.2 km (0.75 mi.) Line 16 has a stop right across the street from the bus station.

Interactive map

The Pamplona street bus page at http://www.infotuc.es/index.php/es/destinos-frecuentes/category/accesos-ciudad-2 will show you where the airport and bus and train stations are located and what street bus routes to take to each. Use the "open/abrir" arrow on the right to get the map.

Last edited:
Great info. I've been wondering about this ever since I booked my flight (May 31st/Arrive Pamplona June 1st). I'm assuming I can get a bus from Pamplona airport to Pamplona where I would like to spend the night before going on to St. Jean the next day. Thanks for the post.

My info is same as Rick; no bus from the Pamplona airport terminal. It's probably the only airport in Spain without bus access.
http://www.aena.es/en/pamplona-airport/index.html

Stay overnight at Irun/Hendaye or Bayonne instead.

Take Renfe train from Pamplona to Irun/Hendaye or ALSA/CONDA bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian. Then take Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

ALSA and PESA operate buses from San Sebastian to Bayonne and Irun/Hendaye.

Take SNCF train or Transports64 bus from Hendaye to Bayonne.

Take SNCF train (service is currently provided by bus due to damage to tracks) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

The advantage is the first train leaves Bayonne at 0745 while the first bus (in April) leaves Pamplona at 1430. The train arrives SJPdP at 0845 leaving enough time to walk to Roncesvalles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Take Renfe train from Pamplona to Irun/Hendaye or ALSA/CONDA bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian. Then take Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

Take SNCF train (service is currently provided by bus due to damage to tracks) from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

The advantage is the first train leaves Bayonne at 0745 while the first bus (in April) leaves Pamplona at 1430. The train arrives SJPdP at 0845 leaving enough time to walk to Roncesvalles.

I would like to thank U all for this wonderful information. I found the bus schedule. I believe I will either take the 17:30 bus on Monday the 24th or stay in Pamplona and get the 14:30 bus the next afternoon. Buen Camino.

Problem with this is the CONDA site does not accurately show the schedule.
On March 31 I used the https:/www.alsa.es/en/ website to get the 2017 schedule of departures of CONDA buses going from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port (by the way, travel time is 1 hour and 45 minutes.) The ALSA/CONDA sites does not post a schedule. You have to enter dates into a form. I entered a number of dates where I thought service would change based on previous years' schedules. Below is what I think the 2017 service will be. However, there is a possibility that there may be additional service on the weekends (though based on previous years there will not be.)

Use this schedule for rough planning only. Use the website for current information.

April 1 to April 13: 14:30
April 14 to May 30: 14:30 17:30
June 1 to June 23: 10:00 14:30 17:30
June 24 to September 3: 10:00 12:00 14:30 17:30
September 4 to September 30: 10:00 14:30 17:30

Times for later dates were not available as of March 31.
An educated guess would be (based on previous years):
October 1: 10:00 4:30 17:30
October 2 to October 29 or November 5: 14:30 17:30
After that to December 31: No service

I would like to thank U all for this wonderful information. I found the bus schedule. I believe I will either take the 17:30 bus on Monday the 24th or stay in Pamplona and get the 14:30 bus the next afternoon. Buen Camino.
Good plan. If you're coming on an overseas flight to Madrid, you can do some sightseeing around Pamplona in the afternoon and use the night there to sleep off the jet lag. That way you can skip the sightseeing as you pass through Pamplona once you've started your Camino walk. By the way, if you've looked at bus schedules, I'm sure you noticed that you can get a bus to Pamplona right at the Madrid airport. When you arrive at the Pamplona bus terminal, you can purchase your ticket for the next day's ride to St Jean. Or as an alternative, you'll surely meet other pilgrims on the way from Madrid to Pamplona -- perhaps you could gather two or three of them and share a taxi to St Jean the same day you arrive in Pamplona.
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Notice for all.

To Go from Madrid to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The best option is:

Madrid airport to Pamplona. There are two options. By Bus from the airport to Pamplona dowtown. It is cheap and lasts about five hours the way. Or you can also take the train in Madrid Atocha to Pamplona, a little more expensive, but faster around three hours.

Pamplona to Saint Jean by bus to Roncesvalles. Is a beautiful route along a road that crosses the Pyrenees Mountains.

This is actually quite disheartening because it was suggested that I fly directly to Pamplona via Madrid. My flight is booked and now you tell me there is no bus to Pamplona from airport (not your fault of course). After a long international flight I just want to spend the night in Pamplona then catch the bus to St. Jean the next day. Okay, I now envision more sleepless nights trying to figure this all out and I've been sleeping well because I thought I had the perfect solution :( How far from airport to center of town? Is a taxi a reasonable alternative within in a reasonable (low) budget? Back to the drawing board.

Sorry to be so dense, but if I can take a ALSA/CONDA bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian, how do I get to Pamplona in the first place from the airport? And if I do make it to Pamplona, I can stay there overnight and take a bus to SJPP which has been my plan all along. Then I can avoid Pamplona when walking to Santiago. How do foreign travelers get from Pamplona airport to Pamplona? Believe it or not... this one issue is my only fear on this whole pilgrimage :oops: Thanks for your help though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I find it so easy to go from Madrid to St Jean via Pamplona that I've never considered going via Biarritz. What is limited about the route from Pamplona to St Jean? There are local buses going directly from Pamplona to St Jean several times a day.

Hi Kanga, I'll direct my question to you as well. Perhaps you can advise since you said it is easy to get to Pamplona from Madrid. It was suggested by a forum member that I book a flight to Pamplona via Madrid, which I did. Locked in. My plan was to take a bus (which I now find is unavailable) to Pamplona, spend the night, then take the bus to SJPP the next day. I planned to spend another night in SJPP, then take off walking fresh in the morning. Now I'm wondering if I should just stop at Madrid, then make my way to Pamplona. This will be my first solo trip to Spain and I'm too big a coward to try a train (language barrier). Buses just seem easier to me. Getting to Pamplona is my biggest hurdle. And I thought going via Madrid would be soooo much easier than going through Paris :(

Sorry to be so dense, but if I can take a ALSA/CONDA bus from Pamplona to San Sebastian, how do I get to Pamplona in the first place from the airport? And if I do make it to Pamplona, I can stay there overnight and take a bus to SJPP which has been my plan all along. Then I can avoid Pamplona when walking to Santiago. How do foreign travelers get from Pamplona airport to Pamplona? Believe it or not... this one issue is my only fear on this whole pilgrimage :oops: Thanks for your help though.
As a tourist, I would probably just take a taxi. According to Rome2Rio.com the cost should be about 9 - 11 Euros.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Foreign travelers to Pamplona get from the airport by taxi.

Si yo fuera tu, take a taxi. Tell the driver (or write it on a piece of paper previous to travel) 'Estacion de Autobuses por favor'. (the bus station please)

There are no other public transport options.

No worries ... you can do it!

Approximate fares are listed on the airport website.

Here is official AENA Pamplona Airport Website.

Here is Pamplona bus station website. You might want to view the photo at the top of the page so you recognize it when your taxi arrives there. The bus station is mostly underground so it might seem a bit small at ground level.
http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx.html

Your other main option is to find your way to the closest bus stop ... about a km from the airport.

There was a person who considered to start walking from the airport. He would have had to do his own map reading until he merged with the usual camino route ... but the idea made sense to me.

If you are locked in to flying to Pamplona, then take a taxi from Pamplona airport into the city of Pamplona.

It it were me, on my first camino and a little apprehensive, I would book into an albergue in Pamplona and get the taxi to drop me there. Once inside the albergue there will be plenty of people to help. You might even decide it would be easier to start walking from Pamplona, with the others who are staying in the albergue. There is nothing compulsory about starting in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

This is actually quite disheartening because it was suggested that I fly directly to Pamplona via Madrid. My flight is booked and now you tell me there is no bus to Pamplona from airport (not your fault of course). After a long international flight I just want to spend the night in Pamplona then catch the bus to St. Jean the next day. Okay, I now envision more sleepless nights trying to figure this all out and I've been sleeping well because I thought I had the perfect solution :( How far from airport to center of town? Is a taxi a reasonable alternative within in a reasonable (low) budget? Back to the drawing board.
Look for another pilgrim and share a taxi. That worked for me one trip. For a long time there was bus service from the airport. I have no idea why it was dropped a few years back. The airports at Pamplona and Leon have seen a drop in the number of flights since British Airways acquired Iberia. I suspect that there simply are not enough people to justify regular buses. The nearest bus stop is not far away, so you could walk to it (which brings up the question why buses cannot travel the extra kilometer to the airport). Unless you are energetic the walk from the airport to the center of Pamplona is a fairly long walk. If it is any consolation, the train station is a hike from the center of town as well, but it has bus service!

Buen camino. I hope it all improves after getting through Pamplona the first time. I think you will love the city, so the small investment in a taxi ride will be rewarded.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look for another pilgrim and share a taxi. That worked for me one trip. For a long time there was bus service from the airport. I have no idea why it was dropped a few years back. The airports at Pamplona and Leon have seen a drop in the number of flights since British Airways acquired Iberia. I suspect that there simply are not enough people to justify regular buses. The nearest bus stop is not far away, so you could walk to it (which brings up the question why buses cannot travel the extra kilometer to the airport). Unless you are energetic the walk from the airport to the center of Pamplona is a fairly long walk. If it is any consolation, the train station is a hike from the center of town as well, but it has bus service!

Buen camino. I hope it all improves after getting through Pamplona the first time. I think you will love the city, so the small investment in a taxi ride will be rewarded.

Thank you so much for this. Funny, I did wake up during the middle of the night last night worrying. Then I just thought, if no other way, I will pay a taxi. And for finding another pilgrim, I keep forgetting that I certainly won't be the "only" pilgrim. The Camino provides :)

If you are locked in to flying to Pamplona, then take a taxi from Pamplona airport into the city of Pamplona.

It it were me, on my first camino and a little apprehensive, I would book into an albergue in Pamplona and get the taxi to drop me there. Once inside the albergue there will be plenty of people to help. You might even decide it would be easier to start walking from Pamplona, with the others who are staying in the albergue. There is nothing compulsory about starting in St-Jean-Pied-de-Port.

Thank you Kanga, I woke up last night worrying about it, then I just thought "no buses, there must be taxies". Good advice, as well at booking into an albergue (that I hadn't thought about). I know starting from St. Jean Pied de Port is not compulsory but I have been thinking about and planning this Camino for the last five years (my credential is dated 2012 by the people in Europe who mailed it to me), and I really have the desire to start in St. Jean. It's the only goal or expectation I'm bringing with me :)

Si yo fuera tu, take a taxi. Tell the driver (or write it on a piece of paper previous to travel) 'Estacion de Autobuses por favor'. (the bus station please)

Here is Pamplona bus station website. You might want to view the photo at the top of the page so you recognize it when your taxi arrives there. The bus station is mostly underground so it might seem a bit small at ground level.

Your other main option is to find your way to the closest bus stop ... about a km from the airport.

There was a person who considered to start walking from the airport. He would have had to do his own map reading until he merged with the usual camino route ... but the idea made sense to me.

Thanks so much. It is my almost last minute jitters getting to me. I told myself in the middle of the night that if all else failed I would walk (not first option) but I decided that taking a taxi was the best idea. Of course that is what travelers do. Like I said, almost last minute jitters feeding my fear, which is totally ridiculous on my part. The Camino will provide, right? Even before I am officially on it :) I am so happy with this forum. It has been my "go to" for the last several years. Now I'm down to two months.

As a tourist, I would probably just take a taxi. According to Rome2Rio.com the cost should be about 9 - 11 Euros.

Nine to eleven euros is much less than I envisioned. That's good news. And I won't be taking the taxi as a tourist. I will be wearing hiking boots and carrying a quite heavy backpack with I get to Pamplona :) Thanks for the advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should have added that the bus (Conda, a subsidiary of Alsa) leaves from Pamplona to St Jean at 1730 each day. It takes one hour and 45 minutes. By June there is a second bus - it could run earlier this year because last year they extended the season to December, to meet the demand. It runs at 1430.

There are extensive links in the "Traveling to/from the Camino" section of the forum, giving you various options:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...to-roncesvalles-and-sjpdp-via-pamplona.23395/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ravel-from-madrid-to-sjpdp-via-bayonne.23517/

Hi all... I was able to reserve a bus from Pamplona to St. Jean on June 2, 2017 at 10am through ALSA. The bottom of my printed ticket says "ticket sold on behalf of CONDA". It was 22,00 EUR ($24 & change US). Hope this helps.

Hey folks,i arrive Madrid airport June 22nd 09:30 and need to bus it to Pamplona,anyone any idea what time bus goes at ??,cheers.

Hey folks,i arrive Madrid airport June 22nd 09:30 and need to bus it to Pamplona,anyone any idea what time bus goes at ??,cheers.

The best way to get accurate schedule information is to go to the Alsa website. I plugged in your date and came up with the schedule, which I hope will still be in this link. https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_auth...ype=OUTWARD&promoCode=&jsonAlsaPassPassenger=

If not, just go to ALSA.es and you will easily be able to find out. You can see the stops for both the buses that stop at the airport and those that only stop at Avenida de las Americas, which is a major bus station in downtown Madrid. If you wind up needing to go into town for a bus because of timing issues, there is a direct bus from the airport that drops you off at Avenida de las Americas, it's bus number 200 and it picks up passengers at all terminals.

You also need to know which terminal you will be arriving in, because things are slightly easier if you arrive in T4 (on an Iberia flight or one of its One World Alliance partners) or T1, 2, or 3. The ALSA bus only stops at T4, but there is an intra-airport bus that is fast and frequent. Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The best way to get accurate schedule information is to go to the Alsa website. I plugged in your date and came up with the schedule, which I hope will still be in this link. https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_auth=bgAq7Ylj&p_p_id=PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=3&_PurchasePortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet_javax.portlet.action=searchJourneysAction&originForm=journeySearchForm&_JourneySearchPortlet_WAR_Alsaportlet_code=&serviceType=&accessible=0&originStationNameId=Madrid+(todas+las+paradas),+Madrid,+España&originStationId=90155&destinationStationNameId=Pamplona+(todas+las+paradas),+Navarra,+España&destinationStationId=93100&departureDate=22/06/2017&travelTypeOutward=OUTWARD&numPassengers=1&passengerType-1=1&passengerType-3=0&passengerType-2=0&locationMode=1&regionalZone=&travelType=OUTWARD&promoCode=&jsonAlsaPassPassenger=

If not, just go to ALSA.es and you will easily be able to find out. You can see the stops for both the buses that stop at the airport and those that only stop at Avenida de las Americas, which is a major bus station in downtown Madrid. If you wind up needing to go into town for a bus because of timing issues, there is a direct bus from the airport that drops you off at Avenida de las Americas, it's bus number 200 and it picks up passengers at all terminals.

You also need to know which terminal you will be arriving in, because things are slightly easier if you arrive in T4 (on an Iberia flight or one of its One World Alliance partners) or T1, 2, or 3. The ALSA bus only stops at T4, but there is an intra-airport bus that is fast and frequent. Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you sooooo much x

Have been trying for hours to book the bus from Pamplona to St. Jean. The alsa website is of no help. Can someone help navigate this mess?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back