• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

make a map maybe?

Whizzer

I am new here do to the movie the way. I was looking in to riding a bicycle in Holland again and looking in to maps. I came across Openstreetmap and Opencyclemap. It a web page where someone can add/edit the maps on site. I started to edit trails around the house and it was easy. You look at a sat photo to trace the trail to the web. So the info will be right. Maybe have the name on the hotels with how many beds too. The sky is the limit on this. You can some how download the maps on to gps or run it on the phone live.

Take a look at
http://www.opencyclemap.org/
If you look at Holland they have all bike trails. Do to the Camino can be done by bike it maybe can be add to the cycle map or ask openstreet map to make a St James trail web page map to do the whole trail system. It can be done right with all the info or done wrong too. One thing nice you can can control the info and not someone that never been there.
I am passing on the info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Street_Map

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm not into these high tech toys.
I like to follow my nose along the trail.
No interuptions, no distractions.

But some pilgrims may like the modern tools.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For me it understanding/planning to know the trail to have a back up plan in case something happen. This is why I was looking for a good map. If I do this it will be done only one time and I want the test time do it.

Question: Is this a trace of someone walking/cycling the route, or a track from a mouse and computer? It looks like a useful plot of the trail. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whizzer said:
Here is the link to use google maps.
550 mile long
http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=voogwozfjetkddzj

Wizzer- I overlaid that trace with a good detailed one I have in my files, and found it to be the wanderings of someone who very roughly followed the official route. I wouldn't use that link as a guide.

I can't remember where I got the one I have, but if you google ".kmz file Camino Santiago" you should find several. Open them in Google Earth, and turn on the photo option. The official route is easy to recognise because there are photos posted all along it. You can get a great slideshow of the entire route off google earth.

I seen both good/bad one. They how ones that people have done to town to town. Google ground level and saw people on trail. I also saw the signs to show the trail is marked. Plus it give me idea what I am getting in to.

This one look like someone trace it.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=nwbfifvhmkldkoht

If you downlond it to google it will show the photo. I look for the iron cross rock pile and saw it on ground level.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back