• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making a Brew - should I Bother?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
My wife and I plan to walk our first Camino on the CF in May / June 2015. I've been trying to weigh up the best time for us to go. We don't want to freeze, and would prefer to avoid the large crowds, so starting out in late April or early May seems a good option at the moment.

My question relates to having the 'gear' to make a 'Brew' en route.

I am an old hiker from times gone by, in my Military days. Which were about 30 years and 30 KGs ago! Most of my hiking was done in the more remote areas of the UK, far away from shops. I always recall that on a cold and wet day, the best thing in the World was to stop and make a 'Brew'. (Hot, sweet Tea or Coffee). The effect was always physically and emotionally so warming.

OK, I realise that on the CF we are never that far from a village and a café. But are there sections where having a 'Brew Kit' might be nice to have? As a 'pick me up' on the longer sections for example?

If you have read any of my other posts, you will know that I will be walking with my wife, who has never done anything this challenging before, and who also comes from Thailand. So for her, 18 degrees C is starting to get into the realms of extreme cold. LOL

We live in Australia. I took her to the Snow fields once for a day trip just to experience Snow for the first time. It was hilarious! She couldn't believe how cold it was...

So keeping her warm and dry will be a major factor in our enjoyment of the experience. Being English, I'm designed for the wet and cold...

I have found an ultra lite cooking set that weighs about 160 grams. Meths stove, pot and windshield.
As well as making a hot drink 'on the road' we can also use it to boil rice. 'Emergency rations' or 'comfort food' for my wife if required LOL. I've decided against the Rice Cooker.... http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/youre-going-to-take-a-what.21824/

I'd value any thoughts from the more experienced CF Pilgrims. Is taking a 'Brew Kit' worthwhile? Are there times on a cold, wet, windy day, you would have given anything to make a quick Brew?

Or is it really just a case of 'head down' to the next village?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm sure you are right Larry. Though I learnt a very long time ago, that it's easy to be uncomfortable. Something small and light that can add considerably to emotional and physical well being...might just be worth taking. But I agree 100% with the idea of travelling light. Hence my question to those who have walked the CF a few times before.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Robo,

Some of us veterans carry the 'little luxury' of an electric water heating coil. See various posts here regarding using it (or not) and viable alternates as well as appropriate types of cups. As with most camino equipment the choice is large.

Personally I would NEVER walk without one!

Happy brewing and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret,

What about a 'brew on the move'? Hence the small lightweight stove. Waste of time?

For me walking alone a full kit would be a waste of weight. However, "à chacun son goût " as seen in this photo of fellow pilgrims having a wayside cup near Azofra in autumn 2011.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well put :) I'll have to see how the total weight goes nearer to the departure date....

I am probably more used (was used) to hiking without cafes, when a 30 minute break 'to put the kettle on' was a chance to relax and take in the views.

Having them made for me at a café stop also has its appeal!

Hi Robo.

You will find many who say don't bother because there will be a cafe ahead.

But I think they ignore the morale benefits of a brew / cuppa. And they forget that you can't get a decent cup of "builder's tea" in Spain. You can make one in a hotel / albergue, but on the Camino, I never found one in a bar. (If it's important. Learning to like what's available is also part of the joy of a different place.)

Electric coil is great .... but you won't find an electric point on a hillside as you take in the view and enjoy the moment. That's when a brew is near priceless.

Providing one step for a light stove doesn't lead down the slippery slope to pots and pans, I think you would benefit.

You also need to consider the total weight. 160gr for stove is fine, but add fuel reserve, 2 cups, tea bags, sugar, milk and suitable container. You're going to be more at 500gr for the total needed. Just so you factor this in. But it can still be worth it. Especially if your wife will find it useful / essential to morale and enjoyment.

Another approach is a thermos flask prepared in morning at albergue or hotel. But a decent size one for 2 to last a day will have its own weight penalty.

Let me be clear .... You absolutely do not need brew kit. Unless you do need it. And there's a world of difference between finding a cafe or bar somewhere later on the journey, vs getting your brew at a place with stunning view or a spot where fatigue has set in and morale is low.

All that said, part of the Camino is adjusting to the demands of your body and managing those demands within what's available.

So I'm not sure anybody can really give you the answer. Only you can judge how much you or wife need it. Vs the lesser grade of just want it. And the issue of what is your total weight - if not too high, then maybe this is an allowable luxury. Especially if you've got the stove anyway because of the rice.

Last edited:
Just take a few of your favourite tea bags so you can have one that really 'hits the mark' at optimal moments, such as before starting in the morning etc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On our first day out of St Jean we met a lovely lady in the woods having a cup of tea by the path side. She carried a lightweight thermal flask and filled it during the day with boiling water from albergues and cafes then made tea when she needed to. This might work for you and it won't take up much room or weight.

There is something very morale boosting about watching a stove boil on a grim day. European tea is downright awful (that Liptons stuff everywhere) too. If it's worth it then it's worth it.

I love meths stoves. Not the fastest maybe but very practical.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
watching a stove boil on a grim day
Don't have a grim day!!! And, get a good morning cup of coffee at the nearest bar, and keep the economy alive. Have a nice day!:)

Like a morning shower, brewing something may get in the way. Carry the weight if you want, but when analyzing gear for "must have" and "nice to have," it is clear where brewing equipment falls. If weight counts to you, leave it behind.

Robo, there are actually less people starting in SJPDP in June than in May. So if you want warm (hot) weather start then. Here are the statistics. http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/IMG/pdf/stat2013.pdf

As to the brewing equipment, only you can decide if you want to carry the weight. It's never more than about 2 hours to a cafe.

From your military days, you should recall that everyone carries something totally useless that gives them comfort. Talked to a walker who will not leave out her large Plush bath towel. Stuff you WANT does not weigh anything! And what about people carrying water? Remember the Military and water discipline?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Robo, there are actually less people starting in SJPDP in June than in May. So if you want warm (hot) weather start then. Here are the statistics. http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/IMG/pdf/stat2013.pdf

As to the brewing equipment, only you can decide if you want to carry the weight. It's never more than about 2 hours to a cafe.

Interesting stats Kanga. Thanks

As for the 'brew kit' I think I'll wait to see how our training goes. If I'm trying to save every gram, it can stay behind!

I just rather like the idea of the 'freedom' it would give, as we could stop anywhere we liked for a hot drink.

But I also recognise that for many people the whole purpose is to travel with minimal 'baggage' in every sense of the word, and 'let the Camino provide'. Perhaps I'm yet to recognise the appeal or importance of that element....

Thank you all for your feedback though. It's a vital part for us at least to learn more about the Camino and to prepare in such a way that we will enjoy it.

Our current planned pack weights, including water, are 8.5 kg and 4.5 kg. (10% of body weight) that we have managed through using ultralite gear. So we might leave it at that and not add any more 'nice to haves' ;)

Good thinking Robo. The other thing to remember is that your wife particularly will want to use the toilets in the bars and cafés. Although most bar owners don't mind pilgrims using their facilities it's nice to buy a drink or something in exchange.

Kanga's point is useful-- buying a cup of coffee (on which there is a healthy profit margin) helps keep the cafés running and helps pay for the toilets which pilgrims love. I fear that I found Spanish coffee, whether con leche, cortado, or solo, to be far superior to anything which I could ever make. If you are an addict of A Proper Ulster Cup (which I suppose is close to the builder's tea, referenced above), you are in the wrong country and will have to have the wherewithal for your own.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Given what the Spanish economy has gone through in the last couple of years, buy your brews in the cafes and support their economy. You are almost always close to a cafe. The coils make sense if you are going in the off seasons, but I would recommend helping out a Spaniard feed their family.
Plus I don't recall seeing many fuel canisters for sale along the way and would suspect albuerges may frown on pilgrims bringing liquid fuel into the buildings. A coil is more suitable for such a trip.

Mis dos pesetas.
Rambler

Interesting posts all.

Aside from the stretch between Carriόn de los Condes and Leόn (which I unfortunately had to bus) the only place where I found myself in need of a ‘pick-me-up’ and there were no bars to deliver, was the long downhill trek between La Cruz de Ferro and Acebo. My little stash of chocolate did the trick quite nicely.

Don't have a grim day!!! And, get a good morning cup of coffee at the nearest bar, and keep the economy alive. Have a nice day!:)

Yep, I'm definitely in agreement with that, I said the same on another morning coffee thread not so long ago. I'm a definite couple of coins in a local bar type. If nothing else they make better coffee than I can. Trouble is, I kept wondering if it was late enough for a beer yet :)

As for not having grim days... I'm still looking for that skill :) There is nothing like getting under shelter and getting the stove lit for generating a bit more enthusiasm. In the arse end of nowhere I take a stove. On the Camino, particularly the Frances? More than likely not.

You'd just get a load of cheeky Aussies trying to scrounge a brew anyway :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Robo I think if havin a hot brew is something you like, you should do it, (it ain't heavy, it's my brew kit). Carrying things you love that mean something is different than carrying stuff you don't really need or can do without. Only you can decide what that looks like.

Personally I think it sounds very sweet, that you want to make your wife a brew on the road to drink together, to help her have a good trip. Very sweet. Have a first rate Camino, you two!

Also, tho it sounds like you've got yours figured out, here's a link for anyone interested in some awesome DIY camping stove ideas: http://www.pinterest.com/equip2survive/diy-camping-stoves/

I always carry a Thermos flask of hot water, enough for at least half a day. In addition I always use the light weight metal drinking containers. Last thing at night fill them with boiling water for hot water bottle and first thing in the morning you have sterilised water - really useful tip if you are camping!

When I think of a brew kit on the Camino, it is just extra weight. I would never bring one.

That said, it is your Camino and you can carry whatever gives you comfort.

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think a brew kit is a great idea if it is what you want to do. Most Spanish cafes/bars open really late in the morning - no! really late!! and there are plenty of pilgrims out there gasping for a hot cup of tea in the early morning (not that they will get one in a cafe when it finally opens, they will get a really small thick china cup with lukewarm water and a thin and tasteless tea bag in it).
Apart from a few enthusiasts I don't think anyone really packs down as small as they think they do. Drawings of medieval pilgrims show either no bag or a minimal side bag. Then we have pilgrims with tablet computers, journals, books, iphones, make up, deodorants, shampoos, pyjamas, slippers, flutes, guitars - I met a French woman with home made clothes, including felt cape, and homemade shoulder bag, and carrying a piano accordian once ..... you will already be carrying water; tea bags are light .... depending on how you take your tea - I take mine decaff, no milk or sugar - you may not need milk or sugar, you could take sweeteners and powdered milk anyway.

But - this thing of 'need' - I don't think it should be taken too far. People swear by the electric coil and I can see why - but .. to be able to stop somewhere beautiful with a great view, or under thick trees in a wood when it is raining (sorry, 'if') and to be able to get a steaming cuppa going to go with the bread and cheese - well, that is a true luxury, a wonderful independent way of being a pilgrim - and to be independent, that is a true freedom isn't it?

Have you seen this really light brew-up alcohol stove tip? Weighs about 5 gms I think ... and you can get alcohol in any chemist in Spain, really cheap.

and if you want to save on carrying too much water you could have one of these so you can take good clean and safe drinking water out of a stream or cattle trough if you want ...

Buen Camino ;)

Last edited:
As a fellow tea lover I must confess to craving my pot of good strong milky sweet tea as I walked...but I learned to contemplate the special views without....also really enjoyed the varied approach to tea making at the cafés along the way...always a surprise cuppa, not always as I make it, but still warming & soothing...the coffee was my serious motivator in the morning...
I probably wouldn't take a brew kit on the Frances...but am considering it for the Primitivo....providing I can find a sheltered enough spot to light up!!
Would always stop and buy a cuppa in each village to support the economy, have a natter if in the mood & just to stop & take it all in....good contemplation time...( I am an avid people watcher!!)

Last edited:
As a fellow tea lover I must confess to craving my pot of good strong milky sweet tea as I walked...but I learned to contemplate the special views without....

For me it's not really about the Tea... (I would probably take Chocolate or Coffee) It's the 'act' of stopping where I want to, to enjoy the view, take a rest, and have the ability to make a hot drink or soup or whatever, whilst enjoying the break. We'll be taking our time. probably 45 days +. So we'll still be stopping at the cafes along the way! But why not take a 'lunch break' when the mood takes rather than have it dictated by the proximity of a café?

Perhaps it's rather like a 'smoke break' for a smoker. I used to be one. Popping out for a cigarette was a 'trigger' to relax and unwind. Stopping to make a drink in a place with a great view, or at a time when one is tired and cold, is more about the emotion of the moment rather than the drink. Not sure if that makes sense...

I might end up throwing in an Ultra Lite kit (100g all up for stove & pot) and see if we use it or not. It can always be ditched or mailed ahead after all...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm opting for change.... go with what the countryside and local people provide. Lots of cafes along the way and no need to tote along small stoves and other trappings of your past. Throw yourself into this new experience and see what happens.

I'm opting for change.... go with what the countryside and local people provide. Lots of cafes along the way and no need to tote along small stoves and other trappings of your past. Throw yourself into this new experience and see what happens.

Yes I can see that might make a more 'refreshing' Camino in every sense :) Perhaps I should adopt the minimalist approach after all....

I have seen in camping shops a stainless or enamel mug with a clip-on lid.
It has a small gas canister and a little screw-on stove inside.
Light & practical.
Regds
Gerard

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I usually left the albergues between 0715 and 0800 and never had problems finding someplace to have coffee in the morning. I usually put a few kilometers on before stopping for breakfast. As a Night Owl, I never felt compelled to eat the moment I woke up.
As much as I DEMAND coffee to start my day, I would not carry the extra weight and equipment/supplies needed to brew a cup on the road. I agree with the others - support the local economies and buy a cuppa.

Hi Robo - as there's the two of you walking, why not take 2 lightweight thermoses that provide two cups in each. You each carry your own thermos. Fill up at each albergue in the mornings. That way you can stop and enjoy your ready-made cuppa when you want and also take advantage of the plethora of bars along The Way for, say lunch, if that's what you'd like to do.
One of my favourite memories of my Camino in 2012 was talking to an Irish pilgrim in the most scenic fairy-dell of a glen on the Frances, out from Sarria. Everyone was trudging past, wanting to get to the next bar for morning tea (and Mother's Cake!) but the Irish pilgrim was sitting happily on a fallen log watching and saying hello to everyone who passed. She had her thermos of tea and some GREAT-LOOKING biscuits - she told me she was having an easy day - just stopping wherever she wanted - would I have swapped places with her? Yes! In a heartbeat!
Cheers - Jenny

She had her thermos of tea and some GREAT-LOOKING biscuits - she told me she was having an easy day - just stopping wherever she wanted - would I have swapped places with her? Yes! In a heartbeat!
Cheers - Jenny
Thank you Jenny. Not a bad idea! If I swapped one of my water bottles for a thermos of about the same size, I could start off with tea or coffee, then use it as a water bottle in the afternoon.
Regds
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Robo - as there's the two of you walking, why not take 2 lightweight thermoses that provide two cups in each. You each carry your own thermos. Fill up at each albergue in the mornings. That way you can stop and enjoy your ready-made cuppa when you want and also take advantage of the plethora of bars along The Way for, say lunch, if that's what you'd like to do.
One of my favourite memories of my Camino in 2012 was talking to an Irish pilgrim in the most scenic fairy-dell of a glen on the Frances, out from Sarria. Everyone was trudging past, wanting to get to the next bar for morning tea (and Mother's Cake!) but the Irish pilgrim was sitting happily on a fallen log watching and saying hello to everyone who passed. She had her thermos of tea and some GREAT-LOOKING biscuits - she told me she was having an easy day - just stopping wherever she wanted - would I have swapped places with her? Yes! In a heartbeat!
Cheers - Jenny

Great idea Jenny. I'm now on the hunt for an Ultra Lite Thermos :)

And sometimes you could use it for cooking rice - in the morning pour uncooked rice in thermos, top with equal quantity of boiling water, seal, put in backpack, and in the evening - voila! Perfectly cooked rice.

For me it's not really about the Tea... (I would probably take Chocolate or Coffee) It's the 'act' of stopping where I want to, to enjoy the view, take a rest, and have the ability to make a hot drink or soup or whatever, whilst enjoying the break. We'll be taking our time. probably 45 days +. So we'll still be stopping at the cafes along the way! But why not take a 'lunch break' when the mood takes rather than have it dictated by the proximity of a café?

Perhaps it's rather like a 'smoke break' for a smoker. I used to be one. Popping out for a cigarette was a 'trigger' to relax and unwind. Stopping to make a drink in a place with a great view, or at a time when one is tired and cold, is more about the emotion of the moment rather than the drink. Not sure if that makes sense...

I might end up throwing in an Ultra Lite kit (100g all up for stove & pot) and see if we use it or not. It can always be ditched or mailed ahead after all...

Yeh, think it may be more about the ritual & ceremony of stopping & taking a moment to appreciate....what better way that clutching a hot cup of something delicious....one of my favourite travel pics from 25 years ago finds me rugged up & clutching a tin mug of chai at Annapurna Base camp, glowing with pride that I made it & grateful for the warmth in that cuppa..:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Gerard and Kanga - that's a great idea to use the thermos as a water bottle in the afternoon and as a rice cooker when required - two top suggestions.
Cheers - Jenny

You're walking the camino Frances?
Most of the time there will be plenty of bars/cafes in which to enjoy a 'proper' Spanish 'cafe con leche' and for us Brits "muy caliente" - very hot.
And they need our trade to survive during these difficult years of depression and high unemployment. So - personally - I never take a stove. I prefer to save the extra weight and relax in a local bar.
Ultimately, as has been said, it's "each to his own".
Whatever you decide ... buen camino!

Have you seen this really light brew-up alcohol stove tip? Weighs about 5 gms I think ... and you can get alcohol in any chemist in Spain, really cheap.

I was on the bus from Puerto Natales to El Calafate following a hike in Torres del Paine. I was worried because there were thick clouds of smoke chased by a strong wind.

The smoke was from a fire in Torres del Paine. A hiker on the Torres del Paine circuit caused a fire that burned out 20 000 hectares. The story goes his stove malfunctioned. Further, he was camped in a no camping area. There were mutterings of making him responsible for costs incurred.

I would not recommend making your own stove out of a beer can unless you really know what you are doing. I know I would feel embarrassed if I accidentally set half of Spain on fire. I'm sure the Spanish authorities would take an especially dim view if I did something like that with a cobbled together beer can stove.

There were several burn areas along the camino. I would guess (but do not know) they were caused by stray cigarettes. Spain is a dry hot place succeptable to forest fires.

Agree about fire risks, absolutely, but it isn't so much the stove as the idiot it belongs to, and nothing can be done about that unfortunately, stupidity seems to be a permanent affliction.

As to the topic of pop can stoves, I love alcohol stoves, but I've also seen them blow up and spill out burning alcohol, especially those that work most efficiently by building pressure in the stove to create strong jets. Just this last summer, we had a substantial forest fire in the area I live as a result of a failed DIY pop can stove. Having said that, they are the ultimate in light stoves when created well and operated properly.

For someone without significant experience with DIY pop can stoves, I would advise for an "Esbit" or other fuel tablet stove with a windshield, or a good old fashioned Trangia (although they are quite heavy by comparison at 111 grams to a 5 gram pop can stove).

As to the OP, the question of weight is completely personal. 8+ kg is heavy by some people's standards (including mine), and not by others. Also, weight IS weight --- even if we decide we won't count the weight of a luxury item, it still is something we have to carry along the way, and albergues are filled with left-behind luxuries that were acceptable on the spreadsheet, but not so acceptable on the back after the first 100 km or so.

That being said, most of us DO take luxuries. I have two. First is a 16 oz "super lightweight kitchen" with select items designed to supplement what is often lacking at albergue kitchens (sharp knife, portable cutting board, peeler, select spices, etc.). Second is a 7 oz "pipe and tobacco kit" because I enjoy a bowl during rest break with a good view or an evening of watching the swifts feeding midair (not an invitation for hijacking this thread with anti-smoking sentiments).

I'm willing to carry this extra weight because I'm still right under 6kg for total pack weight, including water. If I was around 8 kg, I would rethink the extras because at that weight, my 24 oz backpack wouldn't be as comfortable, and I'd move to my 55 oz backpack, which only makes the weight issue worse. Being an overweight, middle-aged, IT guy with bad knees, weight is a serious consideration for me in a way that it probably isn't for the more manly-man ex-military guys or fitness buffs.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As a slightly obsessed tea drinker, I know when out walking I have to stick to water and the odd coffee, as much as I would love to take some sort of brewing equipment, I cant risk going over 9kg, I will pray for a few random kettles in Refugio's or an understanding café owner ( I can provide my own bags all I need is a pot of hot water) and if all else fails I will resort to and old tried and tested method of a warming drink by putting the hot tap on filling a bottle of water and putting a Bovril cube with a sachet of pepper in and shaking it, its not the best tasting but when desperate I will resort to anything.I've been to far more underdeveloped countries than Spain and I haven't died from the water yet.

I have had caminos where my days were noted for the number of closed bars and restaurants in the morning. My wroth was for the merchants, but I probably was poor company to fellow pilgrims. In areas where sound traveled well, my grumbling may have disturbed the morning air. If Spanish and French coffee were not so good, I probably would be more equanimous about it. I don't miss bocadillos much because I don't expect much from them. Coffee. That is a different matter. And roast lamb.

:rolleyes:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have had caminos where my days were noted for the number of closed bars and restaurants in the morning.

I think for all the very valid advice above I will leave the stove behind. But it does seem like the idea of welcoming cafes every couple of hours, may not be the reality. At least early in the mornings. a number of people have mentioned this. :(

Yes I've been doing the rounds. A friend actually gave me a 'staff discount' voucher for Kathmandu a while back. We went 'crazy' in the store. Like kids at Christmas. But unfortunately it was a bit early in our Camino planning/knowledge building and much of the stuff is not really appropriate. Mostly too heavy. But we live and learn. We'll replace some of the critical items as we get the chance.

A couple of unused Kathmandu Packs and Sleep Bags going cheap! :)

As an aside. Paddy Pallins of the three seems the most suited to Camino type needs. Though I may buy a couple of items online. This store looks good.
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/
Though I would only buy stuff online that it not critical in terms of 'fit'.

Last edited:

€83,-
If you have some time I found http://www.wildearth.com.au/ to be a good site as well - we ordered some gear from this site and they were good at communicating and delivery - like you we went crazy at Kathmandu in Cronulla with a 70% staff discount voucher - pity most of it will be staying in Sydney - but the boots I got there being a Kathmandu branded product are simply great - they are large in teh toe box - and I then added my orthodics from my runners and my feet are thanking me - carry only what you need - one trick I found at Anaconda was to find what I wanted - looked it up on the internet while in store - showed the cashier and they reduced their price to match the price I found - saved me over $125 on a black wolf back pack - remember The Way provides - we actually purchased some really small sleeping bags from Wild Earth but I can't find them on the web site any more they were a emergency sleeping bag - 200gr - we also bought some silk liner from spotlight that we hemmed and soaked in deet to put under our sleeping bags - keeps the bed bugs away - if any - weight is everything so weigh weigh and then weigh again.

I think for all the very valid advice above I will leave the stove behind. But it does seem like the idea of welcoming cafes every couple of hours, may not be the reality. At least early in the mornings. a number of people have mentioned this. :(
The earlier one leaves, the less likely he is to find one open. By 8 or 9 they'll be open pretty much everywhere along the way.

I typically started shortly after 7am and had very few occasions where absolutely nothing was open. I simply checked with the hospitaleros the night before as to where it was best to grab breakfast. In the several instances where there wasn't anything available at the time I planned to start, I would get the stuff I needed from the supermercado for the next morning's makeshift breakfast. Second breakfast was always available about an hour or so into the walk. Sundays were typically the worst days, but I tended to take late starts or rest days on Sundays so as to make Mass.

I suspect that on lesser traveled routes than the CF, there would be greater problems with morning closures.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you have some time I found http://www.wildearth.com.au/ to be a good site as well - we ordered some gear from this site and they were good at communicating and delivery - like you we went crazy at Kathmandu in Cronulla with a 70% staff discount voucher - pity most of it will be staying in Sydney - but the boots I got there being a Kathmandu branded product are simply great - they are large in teh toe box - and I then added my orthodics from my runners and my feet are thanking me - carry only what you need - one trick I found at Anaconda was to find what I wanted - looked it up on the internet while in store - showed the cashier and they reduced their price to match the price I found - saved me over $125 on a black wolf back pack - remember The Way provides - we actually purchased some really small sleeping bags from Wild Earth but I can't find them on the web site any more they were a emergency sleeping bag - 200gr - we also bought some silk liner from spotlight that we hemmed and soaked in deet to put under our sleeping bags - keeps the bed bugs away - if any - weight is everything so weigh weigh and then weigh again.

Thanks for the tip Larry, we'll check it out.

Jen you coming on the 7th May as we leave the following Monday

Hi Larry and Des - yep, I'll definitely be there on the 7th May - it'll be fantastic to see you both before you go.

Robo - Larry's talking about the next Pilgrims in Sydney meeting. Check out the website of the same name for meeting dates and the venue. You both might like to join us. There's always a really good crowd that goes - it's very casual and all we do is just walk in and start talking about the Camino! It's not something that you have to sign up for. People who are yet to do a Camino go, and people who've done many Caminos go - it doesn't matter who's done what.

Sandra and Julie, our delegates, have all sorts of information to hand and so any questions can be answered. Advice is given and stories are shared.

We all order our own meals from the bar, grab a drink or two and it's a ton of fun! Several of us who post on the Forum go and it's always great to catch up with other Forum members, in addition to seeing our Pilgrims in Sydney friends.

Cheers - Jen

Robo - Larry's talking about the next Pilgrims in Sydney meeting. Check out the website of the same name for meeting dates and the venue.

We have the date in the diary Jen, Thanks. Though weekdays can be tough with work commitments. :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If you do decide to take one ... trangia makes a very light reliable stove and alcohol (you need to know the local name its sold under) is widely available. Carry metal cups to brew up with and for use in albergues where there are none. Boiling two cups of water takes about 20 minutes.

Fuel names
http://www.trangia.se/core/files/names_of_fuel_130128.pdf

I like MSR windpro if you decide on Isopro fuel.

White gas is not available in Spain. Solvente Industriale works but its not consistent fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do decide to take one ... trangia makes a very light reliable stove and alcohol (you need to know the local name its sold under) is widely available. Carry metal cups to brew up with and for use in albergues where there are none. Boiling two cups of water takes about 20 minutes.

Fuel names
http://www.trangia.se/core/files/names_of_fuel_130128.pdf

I like MSR windpro if you decide on Isopro fuel.

White gas is not available in Spain. Solvente Industriale works but its not consistent fuel.
Please make sure to use the right fuel for the right stove. White gas (or similar) is NOT safe in the alcohol stove. White gas is only suitable for their pressurized stoves, and those are far heavier systems than the traditional "spirit" (alcohol) stove. In the PDF, all but the rightmost column are for pressurized gas stoves, whereas the rightmost column is the alcohol "spirit" stove. See http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.trangia_accessories.html for a picture of the gas/multi-fuel burners. The alcohol stove is visible there as well, but only as part of a larger system. For a better view of the alcohol stove itself, see http://www.trangia.se/english/2934.the_trangia_principle.html.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As to the topic of pop can stoves, I love alcohol stoves, but I've also seen them blow up and spill out burning alcohol, especially those that work most efficiently by building pressure in the stove to create strong jets. Just this last summer, we had a substantial forest fire in the area I live as a result of a failed DIY pop can stove. Having said that, they are the ultimate in light stoves when created well and operated properly.

I've seen a couple of bad burns as well from doing what the video recommends, pouring unused fuel back in the bottle. Alcohol flames aren't always visible, it isn't always easy to tell if an alcohol stove is lit or not especially in bright sunlight. I've done it myself, picked up a burner I thought was out but was still going. At least with commercial alcohol stoves you can usually cap them with unused fuel sealed inside.

And was I the only one cringing when he used his knife to cut the top off or am I just a knife-o-phile? Noooooo... it's criminal doing that to a blade...

The FDA (U.S.) just withdrew its approval of dehydrated alcohol. That did not last long!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having seen the other thread re pack weights of only 2.7 and 3 KG, I think it's out with the stove and every thing else!

Need to check out the feasibility of walking in my underwear, carrying a toothbrush I think! Hey, skin is waterproof!

Hmmmmm.

For the sake of a tiny stove, lightweight pot, lighter and some gas I think its worth it. But maybe that's just me, having hiked some serious hikes in NZ, Canada and the USA.

Ability to make soup, coffee, tea, noodles,

Hmmmmm.

For the sake of a tiny stove, lightweight pot, lighter and some gas I think its worth it. But maybe that's just me, having hiked some serious hikes in NZ, Canada and the USA.

Yes, that was my thinking, but I think I have been convinced not to take one for all the reasons outlined in the thread above.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmmmm.

Yes, but this is not a serious hike! For many of us (chez moi) it's a wander from bar to bar, rarely more than 8km apart. Just have your first cuppa before leaving the albergue, by 10 or 11am you'll be ready for a stop and an open bar or cafe will appear...

Yes, but this is not a serious hike! For many of us (chez moi) it's a wander from bar to bar, rarely more than 8km apart. Just have your first cuppa before leaving the albergue, by 10 or 11am you'll be ready for a stop and an open bar or cafe will appear...
true.
a jar of coffee costs €4, which would do for 2 weeks. Or €4 a day for two cups of coffee would be €56. Same with tea.
Just saying.

Small savings add up and is why I've travelled so many places.

€60,-
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
No, I won't be buying! LOL ); sounds like you have had a gloriously self indulgently 12 months "spending a fortune" while I am stuck here looking after people!

I always carry a Thermos flask of hot water, enough for at least half a day. In addition I always use the light weight metal drinking containers. Last thing at night fill them with boiling water for hot water bottle and first thing in the morning you have sterilised water - really useful tip if you are camping!
My wife and I plan to walk our first Camino on the CF in May / June 2015. I've been trying to weigh up the best time for us to go. We don't want to freeze, and would prefer to avoid the large crowds, so starting out in late April or early May seems a good option at the moment.

I am an old hiker from times gone by, in my Military days. Which were about 30 years and 30 KGs ago! Most of my hiking was done in the more remote areas of the UK, far away from shops. I always recall that on a cold and wet day, the best thing in the World was to stop and make a 'Brew'. (Hot, sweet Tea or Coffee). The effect was always physically and emotionally so warming.

OK, I realise that on the CF we are never that far from a village and a café. But are there sections where having a 'Brew Kit' might be nice to have? As a 'pick me up' on the longer sections for example?

If you have read any of my other posts, you will know that I will be walking with my wife, who has never done anything this challenging before, and who also comes from Thailand. So for her, 18 degrees C is starting to get into the realms of extreme cold. LOL

We live in Australia. I took her to the Snow fields once for a day trip just to experience Snow for the first time. It was hilarious! She couldn't believe how cold it was...

So keeping her warm and dry will be a major factor in our enjoyment of the experience. Being English, I'm designed for the wet and cold...

I have found an ultra lite cooking set that weighs about 160 grams. Meths stove, pot and windshield.
As well as making a hot drink 'on the road' we can also use it to boil rice. 'Emergency rations' or 'comfort food' for my wife if required LOL. I've decided against the Rice Cooker.... http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/youre-going-to-take-a-what.21824/

I'd value any thoughts from the more experienced CF Pilgrims. Is taking a 'Brew Kit' worthwhile? Are there times on a cold, wet, windy day, you would have given anything to make a quick Brew?

I'll be leaving 4/29 so take this with a grain of salt. But if you do carry a flask or thermos you could use the Starbucks Via "instant" coffee that tastes like freshly brewed (Not your mother's Sanka!) Little packets don't weigh much and will hit the spot. Many campers use them.

€83,-

David, I don't know whether to send blessings or (mild) curses your way!
I've been on the internet for HOURS, watching different youtube ways of making alcohol stoves. (Will probably build myself one out of a Nivea tin - it looks great and weighs only about 60 gms.)
AND I've just bought myself a Lifestraw - UK cheapest from Osmio Water @ £19.99 + free postage - after years of conditioning myself to drinking local water in Sudan and backwaters in China ....

Lalala how life goes on .....

Just take a few of your favourite tea bags so you can have one that really 'hits the mark' at optimal moments, such as before starting in the morning etc.

We really enjoyed visiting all the little eateries along the Way, but it is indeed hard to find the type of tea that we are used to here in Ireland. We always bring a few bags of our favourite tea when travelling and just order the boiling water when stopping for meals/snacks/coffees. There is nothing quite as refreshing as a good cup of tea and it is much better than coffee for quenching your thirst!!! (I am not a big fan of plain water). We also had lots of café con leches especially in the morning and they were, without exception an excellent way to start the day. You are never very far from somewhere to snack on the later parts of the camino Frances so I am not sure if I would want to carry the necessary bits for making my own brew but I know where Robo is coming from, there is nothing quite like making a brew just when you need it! Buen Camino to you all

I know where Robo is coming from, there is nothing quite like making a brew just when you need it!

I am still indebted to a pair of young Italian cyclists who rescued this exhausted specimen at roncesvalles with a mug of caramel-infused tea.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting thread this has turned out to be. But as many have realised ... it was never about the Tea, or the cost of the Tea/coffee, or supporting the local economy, or xxx. It was about the freedom and comfort from being able to make a tea/coffee/choc just when you most needed it.... Or when you wanted to just sit back, boots off for an hour and take in the view, and there is no café for miles.

I know you decided against the rice cooker, but just want to share this.

During a trip in Japan last year, I saw young kids with these tiny, tiny electric rice cooker. The link shows one that seems small, but I don't know if they're as small as the ones I saw in person. They were the width of a large travel mug, but half the height. Cutest little things. My teenage son still talks about them. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Take it! in May & June of 2014, we were jealous of Peter from Thailand who always had his coffee ready first thing in the morning while sitting on the steps of whatever albergue we were at. You will NOT have coffee available every morning! Some mornings we walked for an hour before finding a place with coffee or tea. And don't forget that many places are NOT open Sunday mornings.

If you served in the Military you know it is MORE important to carry items of comfort than to worry about weight. My novia still complains that she did not carry a hair dryer with her last spring! if we walk the Camino again, she swears she is carrying more, not less!

I can't believe I've missed a thread with 79 posts about one of my favorite topics! Although, like mspath, my "brew kit" is limited to an electric coil and cup. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

Just wondering what you've decided robo. I see that your most recent decision was a "no." Are you sticking with it?

Two years ago I walked the Levante with two French pilgrims who brought a jet boil. They used my coil in the albergues to save on fuel, but out on the camino we stopped every day at the time they chose while they made a coffee, always guaranteed to be in a spot away from towns and roads, we had some really lovely coffee times that way. If you love your coffee or tea, there is something really special about having one out in the middle of a field covered with poppies, or next to a 17th century mortarless beehive hut, etc. etc.

The only problem with something like this is finding replacement fuel. Decathlon was the go-to place, but after Toledo I don't think they were able to stock up again. On the Frances I imagine there are more opportunities.

Buen camino, Laurie

As a fellow tea lover I must confess to craving my pot of good strong milky sweet tea as I walked...but I learned to contemplate the special views without....also really enjoyed the varied approach to tea making at the cafés along the way...always a surprise cuppa, not always as I make it, but still warming & soothing...the coffee was my serious motivator in the morning...
I probably wouldn't take a brew kit on the Frances...but am considering it for the Primitivo....providing I can find a sheltered enough spot to light up!!
Would always stop and buy a cuppa in each village to support the economy, have a natter if in the mood & just to stop & take it all in....good contemplation time...( I am an avid people watcher!!)

Tis true: I missed my beautiful morning tea particularly - not to mention afternoon and evening. I had taken a few tea bags, but not as many as I would have had I known how very difficult TEA was to get in Spain. I confess to everyone here now that I crossed over and became a chronic Cafe con Leche drinker from this time on. I still have tea in the morning (can you open your eyes without it?), but it is followed quickly by a coffee chaser.
I also continue to buy my daughter (who walked with me) bulk Cola Cao (hot chocolate), which is not a cheap excercise getting them sent to Australia, but you hold on to anything after this experience - even if the lesson was in letting go.... :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting thread this has turned out to be. But as many have realised ... it was never about the Tea, or the cost of the Tea/coffee, or supporting the local economy, or xxx. It was about the freedom and comfort from being able to make a tea/coffee/choc just when you most needed it.... Or when you wanted to just sit back, boots off for an hour and take in the view, and there is no café for miles.

My planning has progressed to the stage now where I'm travelling alone....and ultra light. Well not quite 'ultra' light, but I'm aiming for under 7 kg including food and water......

So much as I would love to stop for 30 minutes to have a Brew somewhere that has a great view, or when I need a quick 'pick me up' when still 2-3 hours from the next café.......... I think the brew kit will stay at home.

I have to say this is the first time I will have hiked/walked without one, but maybe the thought that the next Café Con Leche is only x kms down the road, will be a greater incentive to keep me moving ;)

I was tempted prior to my first Camino. Unless I was walking in the dead of Winter though, I wouldn't bother. Sure I have only walked the CF, but cafes abound!

€83,-
Certainly taking a 1 litre 'tupperware'-style box for leftovers, deli foods.

Hi, that was the first thing I tossed on my first camino! It wouldn’t fit neatly into my pack anywhere, and, apart from a few bits and bobs, I wasn’t actually using it. It was just too bulky. Now I have a few zip-lock plastic bags in the top pocket of my pack; perfect for half-eaten bocadillos at lunchtime. Jill

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.