• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Making Memories and Mistakes on the Camino

Handsome_Canuck

Time of past OR future Camino
September / October 2023
We are ON THE WAY!

TL:DR

Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. The Camino provides. Stumbles quickly turn into amazing leaps. If you are thinking of giving up take a rest for a few minutes / hours / days and regroup.

What a Journey already!

Arrived in Paris at 7 am. Found the metro. Couldn't find train station. Got mixed up with Metro vs train station. Walked for 30 minutes of Paris heat. First thoughts of turning back .

Found train station. Could not figure out gates ( oh right, had same problem at airport metro station, this will be a theme )

Get on train to...DAX, I think.

Get on wrong coach RUN down length of train. Almost get on train on wrong side of tracks.

Get to DAX. Can't find train to next destination. Ask for help. Make train with less than 2 minutes to spare.

Arrive next destination. Think we are looking for train. We have booked a bus!

Make bus with 2 minutes to spare.

Airbnb host thinks we are arriving by train. Confusion ensues.

Get luggage off bus. SMOKE my head on bus. No blood. Worried about concussion

Airbnb host drives VERY fast home. Likely taking out some anger at current disorganized tourist guests who don't know difference between bus and train!

Very cute house. Private room with shower and own entrance. Toilet across hall in main part of house.

Fortunately husband of host speaks some English and directs us to restaurant. Arrive at bar restaurant with 2 minutes to spare before kitchen closes.

My wife had a nice chicken and Mushroom pasta with mushrooms and I had a chacutterie board.

Waiter was worried it would be to small for dinner. Twice the size of what we would get back home.

Romantic stroll back to Airbnb. Did I mention there are cows in the fields? Well there are. They have now went to sleep.

VERY EXCITING THAT EVEN AT MIDDLE AGE WE CAN STILL STAY OUT UNTIL AFTER THE COWS COME HOME!

That's day 1. Day 2 and day 3 were a little to very tramautizing. May post more about those later.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Your travel adventures sound like a perfectly normal camino travel to me 🤣. I laughed. That's what I prefer to do when things go wrong, but not too wrong to cry.

You've made it so far. Congratulations. Best wishes for the rest of your trip!

You don't even want to know....ok maybe you do.

TL/DR What day is it? Where am I? Where did the arrows go? WHERE IS MY PASSPORT ( See LBs post ) . Really, $20 knock off sandals and $4 socks could lead to blisters?

WHAT THE **** with the long double curved cobblestone death trap? And why did I walk up this mountain just to walk 75 percent back down WHEN THE HIGHWAY IS RIGHT THERE??

The bed race is definitely on and the best Pilgrim menu yet is at the La Posada de Roncesvalles

Oh and did you know? YOU CAN'T JUST BUY CIGARETTES AT THE CORNER STORE IN SPAIN!

So much more to come later but we are off to report a lost passport and get a passport photo 😲😐😎

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh right. #BonusProTip. Bought feminine hygiene pads for myself for the first time ever. Not because the blisters are bleeding but because NOWHERE WAS OPEN THAT SELLS GAUZE. Excellent cushioning, self sticking and feet smell fresh. Kotex is getting a 5 star Google review later

Interesting fact - on DEEP background.

Sanitary napkins were first "invented" during WWII by female US Army nurses in the Pacific Theatre, who discovered they could use thick gauze battlefield dressings as sanitary pads. The nurses would cut off the long tying extensions attached to the thick gauze dressing, then use safety pins to secure them in their undergarments. Necessity is the mother of invention.

After the war, one of the doctors from that field hospital remembered this, and developed the first Kotex branded sanitary pad. Voila!

IIRC I read this in Wikipedia many years ago. It stuck with me.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Interesting fact - on DEEP background.

Sanitary napkins were first "invented" during WWII by female US Army nurses in the Pacific Theatre, who discovered they could use thick gauze battlefield dressings as sanitary pads. The nurses would cut off the long tying extensions attached to the thick gauze dressing, then use safety pins to secure them in their undergarments. Necessity is the mother of invention.

After the war, one of the doctors from that field hospital remembered this, and developed the first Kotex branded sanitary pad. Voila!

IIRC I read this in Wikipedia many years ago. It stuck with me.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Sideline: I knew a nurse who served in WWII and was with the first US hospital going into Africa and the nurses were worried about not being able to buy any sanitary products. They were putting supplies into everything they could as they were limited on what they were allowed to bring along (stuffing things in shoes, empty canteens, etc.) She said they drove through a town and from the back of the truck the first thing they saw was a store window with feminine supplies...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love your remark about buying cigarettes - yes, you do have to plan on where to buy cigarettes. Best bet is a vending machine in a bar. And plan ahead - have a few spare packs in your backpack.
Buen Camino to you - so far it has been very interesting.

I love your remark about buying cigarettes - yes, you do have to plan on where to buy cigarettes. Best bet is a vending machine in a bar. And plan ahead - have a few spare packs in your backpack.
Buen Camino to you - so far it has been very interesting.
Very important. I always plan ahead with the cigarettes. Going through astorga on my way to el ganso I bought 2 packs in a tabacos just to be covered.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, we noticed that they still have vending machines for cigarettes in Spain as well as Tobacco stores. Have not seen that in many years in the US.

Glad you are walking your camino! Traveling is an adventure, but that is part of your camino. Just think you will always remember it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has been an adventure. Despite some serious setbacks we have been blessed.

Spent last night in Villatuerta at 643 km . 60 Euro ( or was it 50? ) for a private room. Excellent accomodation even with the book on the history of Cannibalism on the book shelf!

The bar next door provided excellent service and good food.

Fast forward to today.

Amazing visit to the San Pedro church in Estella. This church highlights having a piece of the true cross and a piece of St. Andrews shoulder plate. All depends on your beliefs. YMMV

Decide to stay in VDM. No rooms at all 3 hostels. Pondering sleeping with the fishes at 3 sided stone enclosure we noticed on way into town.

Could not find any rooms in Los Arcos either. Considered going on to Logrono or back to Estella.

As we are working on this an amazing staff member at Oasis Trails asks if we are doing ok. We explain or situation and he asks if we had considered staying in Luquin as they have rooms and he lives there and is heading home and can give us a ride!

Due to this person's great kindness we went from not knowing where we would sleep to having 2 bunks in an amazingly cute and comfortable Albergue and breakfast taken care of for tomorrow

The Camino provides

Apologies for the switch from the comedy routine. It is coming eventually as this first week could be turned into it's own Netflix special 😀

Made it as far as Los Arcos this morning. Got what may be the last 2 bunks at Albergue Abuela. Resting for the afternoon and then looking at ideas / intentions for tomorrow.

2 quick highlights from today. Hearing the motorcycle races over the hills and feeding the goats and chickens on the way into town .

#protip. When feeding the animals there is one big Ram who pushes all others away so the smaller ones don't get a chance. Grab 2 chunks of bread from the bucket. Hold one piece over top of fence just out of the big guys reach. Use piece in left hand to feed the smaller animals 😎

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Could not find any rooms in Los Arcos either. Considered going on to Logrono or back to Estella.

As we are working on this an amazing staff member at Oasis Trails asks if we are doing ok. We explain or situation and he asks if we had considered staying in Luquin as they have rooms and he lives there and is heading home and can give us a ride!

Due to this person's great kindness we went from not knowing where we would sleep to having 2 bunks in an amazingly cute and comfortable Albergue and breakfast taken care of for tomorrow

Made it as far as Los Arcos this morning. Got what may be the last 2 bunks at Albergue Abuela. Resting for the afternoon and then looking at ideas / intentions for tomorrow.
Wait, I'm confused.

Are you in Albergue Casa Tiago in Luquin or in Albergue Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos or is there an Albergue Abuela in Luquin that neither Wise Pilgrim nor Gronze knows about?

Wait, I'm confused.

Are you in Albergue Casa Tiago in Luquin or in Albergue Casa de la Abuela in Los Arcos or is there an Albergue Abuela in Luquin that neither Wise Pilgrim nor Gronze knows about?
Poor story telling on my part. Casa Tiago in Loquin yesterday , Los Arcos today

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Regarding cigarettes, as it was explained to me, Spain has a law that cigarettes can only be sold in "Tabacos" shops or from vending machines. Most bars have cigarette vending machines if the town doesn't have a Tabacos shop. You might have to ask the bartender to turn it on for you. They have a little remote. I guess this is to stop minors from buying cigarettes.

Also, if you stop into a gas station or convenience store, it might look like there are cigarettes behind the counter. Don't be fooled, those are only cigars and cigarillos. They too probably have a vending machine somewhere in the store.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back