• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Managing expectations after a great camino

Time of past OR future Camino
LePuyenValey - Pamplona 2022
Pamplona - SdC 2024
Hallo everyone,
first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice, rainy days and open albergue in Winter kept me sane :)
Now I have booked my flights for the CF and I am ready to pick up my backpack.

I walked the Via Podensies (le Puy-Pamplona) in August 2022 on my own. It was my second camino experience, after 2 weeks in the Via Francigena with a friend. I absolutely loved it. It turned me into a hard-core camino addict. Last year I did the Camino Portugues with my daughter and it was fantastic, although more in terms of bonding than as a pilgrim experience.

Next month I am going to take up the CF from Pamplona and finish it. After agonising about what bits I should not miss out (great tips btw), and what alternatives were good to avoid too long along a busy road, I have decided to continue with my approach "the less I know, the better it is". I don't know what the towns are looking like and apart from the usual Meseta picture of two pilgrims in the brownish desert, I don't really know what expects me and it is good so. I purposely avoid watching videos on the camino and read about what, say, Burgos has in store. I have booked my first night in Pamplona and after that, we'll see how each day goes.

I know that the via Podiensis and the Camino Frances are quite different, which is good. I had such an amazing experience in France (scenery, villages, people, food, gite, "vibes", hard days, good days....) that I am afraid I come with some expectations, even if I don't want to. And I might compare the two at the beginning. My question to you is, how do you let go of a previous camino and fully embrace the new one? Especially those of you who do the CF again, how do you really start afresh every time?

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
how do you really start afresh every time?

Buen Camino
Great question! I'm not sure that I do "start afresh". Memories and associations, familiarity with the Way and it's ways mean I set out with anticipation of whats to come. And then, somewhere around day 3 or 4 I come to understand that this time is different. Heraclitus, once said, “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” The same applies to Camino.

Enjoy yours!

By learning from the experience when I did bring expectations from my last Camino into the one that I was walking.

Initially I tried re-visiting the highlights from my prior pilgrimage and I was so disappointed that I sat down and thought deeply about what to do next.

I decided that I would not re-visit either highlights or lowlights but do my best to walk anew.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the more you try not to have expectations the more likely you are to have them! I'm very much a watch all the videos and read all of the books kind of person, but for me it didn't affect my CF one bit - if anything it just added to the anticipation (not expectation). In fact I'd go further and say that I probably thought that there was no way the actual Camino could be anything like as magical and amazing as the books and videos/films made it out to be - but it was everything from the videos/books/films and more.

I think the most important mindset is that of openness, an open heart and an open mind. You already seem to have the right attitude in that you are just going to walk and let the Camino do the rest. There is no need to let go of past Camino's, and more than likely your previous experience will enrich the coming one.

Hi Leila - from the sounds of your post, I think you will be just fine on this new Camino. I was delighted to read this -

I have decided to continue with my approach "the less I know, the better it is". I don't know what the towns are looking like and apart from the usual Meseta picture of two pilgrims in the brownish desert, I don't really know what expects me and it is good so. I purposely avoid watching videos on the camino and read about what, say, Burgos has in store. I have booked my first night in Pamplona and after that, we'll see how each day goes.
As you know, there is in fact very little you 'need to know'. Sometimes when I see many of the threads on the forum, I wish more people took this approach. In many ways when discovering a new Camino path - ignorance is bliss and the joy of discovery under-rated.

And then, somewhere around day 3 or 4 I come to understand that this time is different.
This was exactly my experience on my third Camino - the Le Puy Way, My first two caminos were both the Frances. I had thought to walk again in Spain (Via de la Plata or del Norte) but various things kept drawing me to the Le Puy Way. I decided to follow my intuition and surrender to the 'pull' that I couldn't explain but couldn't ignore. Still, for the first 3 or 4 days, sometimes I wondered, 'what am I doing here, this is different, it's not the same as Spain'. But, then I decided to surrender to that - 'I followed my intuition to arrive here, it is different, it's not the same as Spain - it's France' - and it turned out to be a wonderful camino - truly one of my favourite paths for many of the same reasons you describe in your post. Equally, walking the same path for the second or third ... time can be very different to the time before.

Buen Camino @Leila99 Embrace the difference. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when I see many of the threads on the forum, I wish more people took this approach. In many ways when discovering a new Camino path - ignorance is bliss and the joy of discovery under-rated.
That's exactly my approach too. It seems at the beginning of a camino I always find myself saying, "Well I don't know anything about this route but let's see how it goes!" The one I really knew absolutely nothing about - the Caminho Nascente - is still my favourite one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm very much a watch all the videos and read all of the books kind of person, but for me it didn't affect my CF one bit - if anything it just added to the anticipation (not expectation).
I'm the opposite. I am very glad that I had not seen any videos before walking my first Camino. Everything coming to me fresh and new and unexpectedly. Although I do some background reading about a new route I still avoid watching videos in advance. Each to their own!

You'll be in a different country. Yes it will be different. I don't think you need to go without any planning. I like to read up on what I will see the next day in a guide, app, or on Gronze. I also like to know if there will be a pinch point and where as, that helps me think about where I might like to stop for the night.

You don't have to watch every video or read every book, but it is nice to know that you'll pass by certain churches or landmarks. It's good to know if you can expect a water fountain or not etc. Make it a happy medium between being prepared for the days walk and memorizing everything in advance.

Last year I walked the same stretch twice. They were in different seasons and therefore very different experiences.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You'll be in a different country. Yes it will be different. I don't think you need to go without any planning. I like to read up on what I will see the next day in a guide, app, or on Gronze. I also like to know if there will be a pinch point and where as, that helps me think about where I might like to stop for the night.

You don't have to watch every video or read every book, but it is nice to know that you'll pass by certain churches or landmarks. It's good to know if you can expect a water fountain or not etc. Make it a happy medium between being prepared for the days walk and memorizing everything in advance.

Last year I walked the same stretch twice. They were in different seasons and therefore very different experiences.
I agree, I will be checking on Gronze for the immediate next stretch, especially if they say, beware there's no food. I had once to share half a stale baguette with another pilgrim, and even if it was a nice camino spirit moment, my stomach was not convinced :)

The hospitalera is also a good source of intell. They can let you know if you ask if shops are closed or it's a holiday or if there are reports that the fountain at "pick a place" isn't working. Remember in Spain you will also have siesta to think about when considering shopping in the afternoon. I don't consider these "expectations" such as "will my Camino be meaningful", etc. I just think of them as a part of my daily preparation. Nothing can ruin your walk like finding out that there's no ATM for the next 2 days when you are low on cash or learning that there's a huge construction project that you might avoid with an alternate path.

These are the less glamorous things to think about that can make your Camino better or worse. It's a balance.

It almost seems as if you are trying to manage your expectations about expectations, which is getting into over-thinking territory! :D I go on my Caminos now, with the simple understanding that this Camino will have its ups and downs, and I hope for more ups than downs (figuratively, not literally). Just like any activity I embark on. Why else would I go?

I do enough planning to be safe and comfortable, and to avoid inconveniencing others. That amount will be different in degree and type, for me than for other people and it varies according to the route and other factors.

My approach is pretty boring! No lofty aspirations. I under-promise to myself, and hope to over-deliver.

On another thread about The Idea of Camino, there are some interesting responses. In particular I thought the following words were relevant to your questioln:

What might have otherwise have been accepted as part of the vagaries of life on the camino is viewed as unsatisfactory and a target for remediation.
It seems that those who "plan for greatness" may be disappointed. Whereas those that plan for "the experience", gather enjoyment. Just saying.
The events combine to an experience. Live the experience. Remember the events. Judge the totality.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My question to you is, how do you let go of a previous camino and fully embrace the new one? Especially those of you who do the CF again, how do you really start afresh every time?
I have the exact same question - or concern rather - as I begin my second camino this April. I'm sorry that I do not have a helpful response for you. I can only say that I believe you will discover your own answer. And I believe I will discover mine.

I also am of the opinion that a bit of knowledge/planning is a good thing.

Buen Camino Leila99! I hope to meet you on The Way.

I have the exact same question - or concern rather - as I begin my second camino this April. I'm sorry that I do not have a helpful response for you. I can only say that I believe you will discover your own answer. And I believe I will discover mine.

I also am of the opinion that a bit of knowledge/planning is a good thing.

Buen Camino Leila99! I hope to meet you on The Way.
me too and your response IS helpful. See you on the Camino

I’ve walked some parts of the Frances more times than I can remember, but always with different people.

There are one or two ‘old favourite’ overnights; but generally I prefer to stop in places I haven’t before.

I have no expectations about future walks, but lots of good memories of past ones.

And after an amazing experience which generally happens by chance: ‘that was marvellous, let’s never do it again’.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hallo everyone,
first of all, thank you to you all for being so generous sharing your questions and experience. When I was not sure when my next camino would start reading about socks choice, rainy days and open albergue in Winter kept me sane :)
Now I have booked my flights for the CF and I am ready to pick up my backpack.

I walked the Via Podensies (le Puy-Pamplona) in August 2022 on my own. It was my second camino experience, after 2 weeks in the Via Francigena with a friend. I absolutely loved it. It turned me into a hard-core camino addict. Last year I did the Camino Portugues with my daughter and it was fantastic, although more in terms of bonding than as a pilgrim experience.

Next month I am going to take up the CF from Pamplona and finish it. After agonising about what bits I should not miss out (great tips btw), and what alternatives were good to avoid too long along a busy road, I have decided to continue with my approach "the less I know, the better it is". I don't know what the towns are looking like and apart from the usual Meseta picture of two pilgrims in the brownish desert, I don't really know what expects me and it is good so. I purposely avoid watching videos on the camino and read about what, say, Burgos has in store. I have booked my first night in Pamplona and after that, we'll see how each day goes.

I know that the via Podiensis and the Camino Frances are quite different, which is good. I had such an amazing experience in France (scenery, villages, people, food, gite, "vibes", hard days, good days....) that I am afraid I come with some expectations, even if I don't want to. And I might compare the two at the beginning. My question to you is, how do you let go of a previous camino and fully embrace the new one? Especially those of you who do the CF again, how do you really start afresh every time?

Buen Camino
It was easy to let go of expectations on my second Camino Frances. Over 25 years had passed, and I wasn't alone but with my teenage son, both of which brought incredible differences to the experience.

When I set foot on the Frances for the third time last year (just the sections between Sahagun and Leon, and them Melide and Santiago, I tended to stay at different places and, not having my son with me also made it less comparable.

I tend to try and live as much "in the moment" as possible when on Camino, which also helps in not getting lost in comparisons.

I have yet to walk my 2nd Camino so I cannot truthfully answer your question. I am fondly looking forward when I might set my foot back on it (Frances Redux) but I DO know for a fact that it will be different for this time I am suppose to have some company with me....
That said, I still believe I can give you some comparison to chew on. My wife and I used to cruise a lot when we were younger. We totally LOVED our 1st cruise - the small ship (so we got to know pretty much almost everyone - it was hard not to), the service, the entertainment, great memories and stories to tell...
When we got on th ship for our 2nd cruise - the comparing started practically immediately and we found out that we didn't "love" it this time around as we did the 1st one. After somewhat "sulking" for about a day we finally looked at each other and said - What are we DOING? we must be crazy! We are here to enjoy ourselves and have new experiences, not to "complain" and pine for things in the past....
And from that moment forward - it was a wonderful cruise, filled with many memories of its own and just as many stories.
Any cruises following - we never reminiscent on any of the cruises passed

And so it will be with your Caminos. Don;t worry, don't compare, embrace the moment (dare I say - Carpe Diem!), cherish the memories but strive to make new ones and look forward to a new exciting adventure!

Buen Camino, Peregrina!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back