Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

COVID Masks not required outside in Spain starting June 26th

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Maps

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Year of past OR future Camino
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Very good news! I am certain that come August, masks will be gone. I shall anyway walk in Aug./Sept.

In a government press conference in Norway today, they announced that most rules, vaccine sertificates etc., will be standardised in EU/Schengen by June 24th. I hope.

Camino Frances (2015, 2017, 2019) and plans for 2021 (Sept, Oct)
Will masks still be required indoors in stores, albergues, cathedrals, bars and restaurants? We don't begin our camino from St Jean until Sept 17, but will bring along a few masks just in case. Bob

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Maps
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
WHOA - NOT SO FAST fellow pilgrims! This appeared in todays' La Voz de Galicia:

Simply stated, while the outdoor mask mandate will be lifted across Spain, individual autonomous communities, like Galicia can adopt their own rules regarding use of face masks.

The article states that you must continue to wear a mask outdoors if the safety distance (1.5 meters IIRC) cannot be maintained.

"it (the mask) should not be removed if the safety distance is not maintained , "It is not the same to walk through a mountain as to get into the street of wines..."

So, be prepared to mask up, at least in Galicia, at least until this changes - again.

Hope this helps.

Tom

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The article states that you must continue to wear a mask outdoors if the safety distance (1.5 meters IIRC) cannot be maintained.
That's just a variation on the general theme of the conditions attached to this relaxation. In practice, it's likely to be some cities and in some crowds where some requirement will persist.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
Due to my line of work I have the mask on all the time when inside. Even when on housecalls and walking / biking from one place to another I keep my mask on. It is too much a nuisance to put it on and off every time I go in and out somewhere.
I still prefer to err on the side of caution.Until herd immunity is reached even the fully vaccinated ( like me ) can be an asymptomatic spreader.
I think of all the workers on the Covidwards in hospitals who are still treating people. Always in full uniform ( and lots of extra plastic to cover up ) and tight masks.
So my " sacrifice " means nothing compared to their hard work.

Last edited:
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Socks

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
So, alone on the Camino no mask would be required.
That has been the case for a very long time already, as the individual practice of sports (long-distance hiking is a sport) has since almost the start benefited from a particular exemption.

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Ironically they've just been reintroduced where I live.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Luka

Veteran Member
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
Due to my line of work I have the mask on all the time when inside. Even when on housecalls and walking / biking from one place to another I keep my mask on. It is too much a nuisance to put it on and off every time I go in and out somewhere.
I still prefer to err on the side of caution.Until herd immunity is reached even the fully vaccinated ( like me ) can be an asymptomatic spreader.
I think of all the workers on the Covidwards in hospitals who are still treating people. Always in full uniform ( and lots of extra plastic to cover up ) and tight masks.
So my " sacrifice " means nothing compared to their hard work.
I totally agree with you on the level of 'sacrifice' compared to the nurses and doctors on the Covidwards. It is just that it has always felt extremely unuseful to wear masks in the open air. I have been wearing masks on empty parking lots, in nature, on beaches and on empty streets for almost a year now and I am happy that is over. For the rest I will take any required measure seriously.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Most people are still in their masks, here in Navarra anyway, though the proportion of those outside maskless seems to have risen a little.

I'm changing my own habits ; instead of keeping one dangling annoyingly at my throat, I'm keeping a different type of cloth one in my pocket.

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Socks

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
In santiago today, about 95% of people in the streets are using masks…

Was in Leuven ( Belgium ) today and I estimated 80 % used a mask. It was busy with shoppers but everyone was really courteous.
I do like this discipline in solidarity.
And again young people seem to be even more conscious about wearing a mask.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads