• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mass at SJPP

angie villanueva

rgmilktea
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1-Oct 3 (2015)
Hello,

I heard that there is a 10:30 AM English mass in SJPP. Is this daily or only on Sundays? How about in the evening?

If we attend this mass & leave right after, around what time do you think we'll arrive in Valcarlos?

Lastly, does anyone have a schedule of masses along the churches on the way to SDC?

Muchos Gracias :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes masses on the Camino are not "scheduled" as there are many Catholic priests that walk the Camino and they have to have a daily mass (even if they are by themselves). We inquired about a mass in one village and was told there would not be one the next day, but there was because a priest was in the village the same day. The caretaker of the Church opened it for him.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Angie, I've been through SJPP a bunch of times and I've only ever seen masses in French and Basque. That's in the beautiful 14th century schist church in the center of the old town. There is a sign on the front door that lists the times of mass for SJPP and some of the surrounding villages - you can check when you get there. If the listing is 'Saint Jean Pied de Port', the mass will be in French. If it's 'Donibane Garazi', the mass will be in Basque.

Speaking of that church, do check to see what's going on whenever you pass by - once on a Saturday evening there was a choir practice going on...more than 100 people all singing together. It was so beautiful. There is a lot of vocal talent in that area! So if even if the mass is not in English, I think it's worth attending.

Thanks nyreyn 12:) we'll take what we can get. I've never heard mass in French nor Basque. It will be something new for us. Looking forward. :)

I made a note in my guide that there would be mass in English at 10:30 AM & 6:30 PM from May 4th thru Oct 16th. Unfortunately I can't tell you where I got this information from :(

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It is not mass, but you can sing songs in Basque in Ostabat. Even the French do not know what they are singing! This song is in French:

This one in Basque:

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.