• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2015 - Hotels are full already?

Cari T

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
I've been sussing out several great recommendations from forum members on where their first nights sleep was in SJPDP, but i'm running into roadblocks with expedia/booking.com etc as these sites are saying 'nothing available' for my date ~ May 9, 2015.

Am I looking too far in advance or could this really be the case that things are booking this far in advance. Has anyone else booked for this time? I'd be interested to know where you are staying and what method you used to make your reservation. I was just going to leave it to chance on arriving, but now I'm having second thoughts.

~Cari

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Am I looking too far in advance or could this really be the case that things are booking this far in advance.
Probably you are trying too far in advance. Go to individual hotel sites, and you may be able to book that far in advance.

Booking.com is showing vacancies in May 2015, at least at the Hotel Ramuntcho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no great respect for announcements in Bookings.com, Expedia.com or any other of these hotel and related services search engines. Most of the time the hotel owners are not even managing their sites, let alone so far ahead. They rely on the engines to "manage" for them in the hope that eventually a better rate may be achieved.
As a retired hotelier I know, that if there are no world moving congresses or other mass conventions taking place at a certain time and location, I will always find last minute accommodation. On the Camino this may even be at private houses.
Most people's concerns are that they want to be sure of a place to stay and do not like "adventure". They also forget that between now and their date in six months time, many circumstances can change both for them, their travel plans and the destination.
When for one or the other reason there is no bed to be found (at an "acceptable" price), a few kilometers down the road generally has availability.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Try booking a hotel in New York that far in advance and see what happens.

Try again closer to date of travel ... after New Years at the least.

Further, instead of using expedia.ca try searching 'accommodation Saint Jean Pied de Port'. Otherwise you get expedia results for a radius around SJPdP, most of which is of no use to you.

In France Friday May 1, 2015, is Labor day/ Fête du Travail and Friday May 8, 2015, is Victory day/ jour de Victoire commemorating the end of WW2 in Europe. These are popular holidays with multitudes of tourists traveling. Transport and accommodation is usually heavily booked in advance.

I have no great respect for announcements in Bookings.com, Expedia.com or any other of these hotel and related services search engines. ...
Most people's concerns are that they want to be sure of a place to stay and do not like "adventure". They also forget that between now and their date in six months time, many circumstances can change both for them, their travel plans and the destination.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all up for the adventure part... I've been caught up in others panic and plugged in my own dates just for fun.. was shocked at the limited availability. I know from experience that the better sleeps are those places that don't involve themselves with the big 'corp' engines to do their work. I'm looking forward to my happenstance journey :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In France Friday May 1, 2015, is Labor day/ Fête du Travail and Friday May 8, 2015, is Victory day/ jour de Victoire commemorating the end of WW2 in Europe. These are popular holidays with multitudes of tourists traveling. Transport and accommodation is usually heavily booked in advance.
Oh wow.. I didn't realize that... this would explain the frenzy of online booking activity ~ Thanks for the heads up !

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Typically in Spain, hotels prices for the upcoming year are posted in November. Many instances when you are getting "booked" is actually "pricing not available yet'. Email the hotel directly. I only deal with sites like booking.com if no other venue is available.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think there are traps a lot of us thinking of booking in advance are falling into.
And I am/have been one of those "over-planners"!
Others on this forum have warned me about this and given this advise.
1) Don't believe the "only 2 whatevers are left" on tripadvisor or booking.com sites - they're only trying to get there percentage by making you book through them.
2) To do a booking go straight to the hotel/hostel etc website direct.
3) Yes, for us novices and peace of mind for the first days on camino do contact as early as insecure as you feel!
BUT
4) from all I have read over the years on this site something, if it all goes t*ts up, will always turn up to provide for what you need.
Buen camino, despite my pre-planning and worries, I am sure it is all going to work out one way or another!

We always choose to sleep in a hotel, pension or B&B the first night, hoping that way to have a reasonable nights sleep after our fairly long journey and 8 hours jet lag......... However we never book anything until we have landed in Madrid, because not always your journey goes to plan ( we were hopelessly delayed once, due to a guy who suffered an overdose on our plane. We were diverted to the Domenican Republic and once landed, we spent hours on the Tarmac, waiting first for the para medics to attend to this person, then waited for refueling, then waiting for all protocols to clear us for take off). We choose a few possibilities where could stay and then phone through once at Barajas (Madrid airport).Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, contact the hotels in SJPDP directly from their web site(s). That should help.
On my first Camino I spent my first night in SJPDP at the Central Hotel. I arrived in SJPDP on he last train and didn't get there until about 10:30 pm. The Central Hotel was the only place open and my only option besides sleeping outside, ha ha, but turned out to be quite comfortable. Very gracious lady that managed it. Nice little bar and restaurant inside.
El Camino 1 015.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!!!!! I sort of already knew this, but suppose I just needed a little re-assurance from some experienced pellegrinos. I can breathe and relax now that you've helped to subdue my temporary 'omg' moment :)

Moderator ~ are you able to close this thread? I do not want my little 'panic hiccup' to resonate or to suggest anything false throughout this wonderful forum.

~Cari

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back