• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meandering my way after dodgy start

Nomaddeb

Time of past OR future Camino
CP Sept 22
CdN Oct 23
CF April 25
Greetings, I haven’t seen any recent posts on the del Norte so thought I would share insight into my journey in case anyone is about to commence their camino.

I started in Santander two weeks ago after a dodgy start with a vomiting gastro bug so started slowly, slowly until I was 100%.

Lessons learned: Don’t babysit sick grandbabies before heading of to do Camino.

Other than two days experiencing dodgy wet, windy weather, the days have been beautiful. A lot of puddles to jump over on the tracks but that’s fun, although it can be slippery. My poles have been getting a workout keeping me upright 😃

For the first couple of days after leaving Santander and then Santillana, I saw up to 5 pilgrims each day but I have gone days without seeing anyone, although today I walked for an hour with another pilgrim.
The scenery on the del Norte is incredible.
Tonight, I have taken a small detour off the Camino to stay at Cuderillo - totally worth the deviation.

Attachments

• IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,909
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings, I haven’t seen any recent posts on the del Norte so thought I would share insight into my journey in case anyone is about to commence their camino.

I started in Santander two weeks ago after a dodgy start with a vomiting gastro bug so started slowly, slowly until I was 100%.

Other than two days experiencing dodgy wet, windy weather, the days have been beautiful. A lot of puddles to jump over on the tracks but that’s fun, although it can be slippery. My poles have been getting a workout keeping me upright 😃

For the first couple of days after leaving Santander and then Santillana, I saw up to 5 pilgrims each day but I have gone days without seeing anyone, although today I walked for an hour with another pilgrim.
Tonight, I have taken a small detour off the Camino to stay at Cuderillo - totally worth the deviation.
Cudillero is a beautiful spot, but anyone that lives there must have legs of steel. I gave up on the idea of trying to climb the maze of alleyways leading to the top.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I’m not looking forward to leaving this morning, definitely a steep descent yesterday so will be tough.
Thanks for the weather update, forecast shows very wet in this region as well 🙏

Sounds wonderful. Peaceful isolation and much to contemplate.

Enjoy! Finished del Norte in June, will go back any time. All the best with rain, we decided a €2 plastic poncho from Chinese bazaar shop best bit of rain equipment ever.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Forecast for serious storm headed toward Spain starting tonight.

Indeed Thursday is looking especially wet and windy with Galicia beating the brunt!
That was last night, I think. We are told to stay indoors until tomorrow afternoon. Trains cancelled and lorries forbidden to travel. Storm expected to hit us in the middle of the night before going off north along our coast to the Channel islands and the UK…

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of doing this route in 2025. Just finished the Portuguese and loved it.
Cuderillo wow.
Can you keep me updated especially on the hardest parts as we are going to start probably from somewhere like Llanes.

That was last night, I think. We are told to stay indoors until tomorrow afternoon. Trains cancelled and lorries forbidden to travel. Storm expected to hit us in the middle of the night before going off north along our coast to the Channel islands and the UK…
Stayed in Novellena last night, power went off at least half a dozen times and had to wear earplugs to block out the howling wind. I think there is a warning still in place until tonight, and it’s also raining now. Might be a tough day. Also got an email from a place I had booked closer to Santiago, they cancelled booking due to flood damage

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of doing this route in 2025. Just finished the Portuguese and loved it.
Cuderillo wow.
Can you keep me updated especially on the hardest parts as we are going to start probably from somewhere like Llanes.
I found yesterday a challenge, lots of ups and downs and due to rain some of the paths heading into Soto de Luina were very steep and slippery. Totally recommend staying in Cuderillo though, a magical place.

Cudillero is a beautiful spot, but anyone that lives there must have legs of steel. I gave up on the idea of trying to climb the maze of alleyways leading to the top.
I tramped up many of the delightful meandering walkways wearing my backpack and took way too many pictures as everywhere I looked was so colorful...I even climbed the lookout at the top.🙂
Screenshot_20231102-082123~2.pngScreenshot_20231102-082021~2.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is that France? Very windy here today in Paris. Lots of cancelled flights I believe. I am hoping to fly back to Spain tonight… flight is still scheduled to go though lots of cancellation and diversions!

Is that France? Very windy here today in Paris. Lots of cancelled flights I believe. I am hoping to fly back to Spain tonight… flight is still scheduled to go though lots of cancellation and diversions!
Brittany, lots of damage, but calmed down now. 500,000 of 800,000 plus households still without electricity and telephones…
Will stop now. I think we we are somewhat off-thread here!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I tramped up many of the delightful meandering walkways wearing my backpack and took way too many pictures as everywhere I looked was so colorful...I even climbed the lookout at the top.🙂
View attachment 159568View attachment 159569
Wow, shivering just looking at it.

Good post keep the info coming. Any highlights or lowlights from your first two weeks on the Camino.
Thinking about doing the CdN Feb- mid-March 2024

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.