• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Norte gets very quiet after Avilés

Happyinharrogate

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021 and Camino del Norte 2023
Have noticed in the last few days how much quieter the Norte is now than the first half of the route. In the last few days I am seeing no more than 1-2 walkers during the day, and in hostels sometimes it has been no more than 3-4 people in 30 bed hostels. Is this people heading off to Primativo or just not completing this stage? It certainly is a little quiet for my liking and I prefer to meet more people along the way so swaying my preference towards the Frances as a more communal experience.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have noticed in the last few days how much quieter the Norte is now than the first half of the route. In the last few days I am seeing no more than 1-2 walkers during the day, and in hostels sometimes it has been no more than 3-4 people in 30 bed hostels. Is this people heading off to Primativo or just not completing this stage? It certainly is a little quiet for my liking and I prefer to meet more people along the way so swaying my preference towards the Frances as a more communal experience.
Greetings from Ribadeo. It chilled out a bit for me too after Gijon this time around. I personally like the ratio of perigrinos to beautiful landscapes on the Norte. The weather has been FANTASTIC IMO on this walk too. I find that the communal aspect of most of my caminos really depends on the luck of the draw; like minded people with similar walking distances and agendas. I've had it on the Norte before, but not this time. Buen camino!

@Happyinharrogate I just reached Muros de Nalón and as of this moment, I am the only person in the general room. There are a few people in private rooms. The host asked if I’ve seen more people and said until Avilés, there had been many.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yeh I think that’s the way it is now, I’m surprised. As a solo traveller I Have spent a few days walking on my own, though in evening have normally found people to hang out with.

I am on the Norte as well in Vilanova de Lourenza tonight. It is unbearably hot. Steep climbs today from Ribadeo in the blazing sun.
The Albergue Reguera in Soto de Luiña was full and very nice. They close this Friday for the season.
WARNING: Do NOT take the Palancas route overgrown and much vandalism of the mojones. Will make a separate post when I am able.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Which is the Palancas route? I'm unfamiliar with this nickname.
Thx
BC

Which is the Palancas route? I'm unfamiliar with this nickname.
Thx
BC
Palancas is the official Camino after Soto de Luiña. It goes up the mountain instead of through the coast. Carlos Mency Buen Camino app editor has a beautiful YouTube video of it.
Picture of the decision point.

Attachments

• IMG_3910.jpeg
    IMG_3910.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Yes indeed. Started in Bilbao Thursday 12 and in Guemes tonight, having met barely a handful of Caminoers so far.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am deliberating between the second half of the Norte or the Primitivo. I've walked the Primitivo before but not the rest of the Norte, which is why it tempts me. I start next Thurs 26th from Aviles if I decide on the Norte - but from some of the posts I've read it seems a lot of the Albergues will no longer be open on the Norte? I did the Invierno last Dec and didn't meet a single other pilgrim the whole way and it did get a bit lonely at times...

I am deliberating between the second half of the Norte or the Primitivo. I've walked the Primitivo before but not the rest of the Norte, which is why it tempts me. I start next Thurs 26th from Aviles if I decide on the Norte - but from some of the posts I've read it seems a lot of the Albergues will no longer be open on the Norte? I did the Invierno last Dec and didn't meet a single other pilgrim the whole way and it did get a bit lonely at times...
Well as I reported I found it a little lonely also on the Norte, and can’t imagine it will get any busier now. CAnt comment what it will be like on the Primitivo. As regards to Albergues I think of the ones that are still open are likely to remain open through to end October, but your choices may become more limited from your second week, but am sure still some will stay open.

Well as I reported I found it a little lonely also on the Norte, and can’t imagine it will get any busier now. CAnt comment what it will be like on the Primitivo. As regards to Albergues I think of the ones that are still open are likely to remain open through to end October, but your choices may become more limited from your second week, but am sure still some will stay open.
Mmm - just been looking through Gronze and it looks like there would be accommodated options available (just need to phone ahead). The Primitivo threads sounds like its still quite busy. So I guess I now just have to decide if I want new route, but solitude or a route I've previously done but with company....decisions decisions....
How did you find the trail from Aviles - is there a lot of road or mostly off-road?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
but from some of the posts I've read it seems a lot of the Albergues will no longer be open on the Norte?
I would encourage you to walk the Norte. Just check Gronze for albergues. Whichever route you choose you will find albergues beginning to close at this time of year. On the Norte there is an issue of lack of pilgrim albergues between Irun and Bilbao, but I don't remember that being an issue after Avilés.

Mmm - just been looking through Gronze and it looks like there would be accommodated options available (just need to phone ahead). The Primitivo threads sounds like its still quite busy. So I guess I now just have to decide if I want new route, but solitude or a route I've previously done but with company....decisions decisions....
How did you find the trail from Aviles - is there a lot of road or mostly off-road?
There is a significant amount of road walking after Aviles probably 50/50 some days

Has anyone stayed in the albergue in Aviles recently? It gets a couple of bad reviews on Wise Pilgrim but I don’t think they’re recent…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed there in 2018 and 2019. It's fine, the layout is a little weird, but I didn't have any problems there.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back