• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Medical issues on the Camino

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
A full six months after having treatment at the hospital at Santiago, we have been billed for it.
I thought I'd share here in case it is useful information for someone, but it is hard to make head or tail of the billing system.

Background: Tessa, aged 8, fell on the path at O'Cebreiro at midday Saturday.
Sunday we walked to Triacastela, because she did not seem to be in too much pain.
Monday her arm was still tender so we waited for the medical centre to open - we figured we'd probably have it checked out at that point if we were at home, so we should do the same in Spain (at home we would probably not have walked 21km the next day!!!)
The doctor believed it to be broken and sent us to Sarria where xrays confirmed her diagnosis.
But there is no facility for applying casts at Sarria so we took a bus to Lugo for that. Right outside the medical centre is a city map that shows the location of the bus station, should you ever need it!

The little medical centre in Triacastela told us there would be no payment at their centre as they were referring us to Sarria. The Sarria centre was not only full of incredibly helpful people who appreciated my efforts at almost-non-existent Spanish and showed us the most over-the-top respect and care, but it has also failed to send us any invoice of any kind. Again, maybe it's because we were transferred on to Lugo?
Lugo had an impressive hospital. New, clean, spacious. Staff was a little less friendly than the two previous ones, but still excellent. They were willing to overlook the fact that I had left passports with Daddy who was walking - silly of us, but full thanks to them! They billed us three months ago - about one hundred euros for the consultation, x-rays and getting a plaster cast.
Santiago's bill arrived today. It seems that an argument costs far more than a consultation;-) We waited for hours to be seen, were in the room for long enough for the nurse to tell us the arm was broken and the cast would have to stay on for another ten days. I explained we would be flying in a couple of days, and then be on a boat for a week before flying back to New Zealand another week later. I asked if it would be possible to either have the cast removed or have it replaced with a lighter fibreglass one. NO. And with that, the next patient was called in and we realised we needed to leave. That cost over 350 euros! I wonder what it would have cost to go to the private hospital!

Hope that helps someone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola

There is no doubt from what I hear that public health services all over Spain are becoming more assiduous about tracking down payment from foreigners. I got bills more than 3 months after treatment. I have to say that I felt they were very reasonable. However it does seem as if the charge from the Hospital in Santiago is excessive. I'd point that out to my insurers who no doubt will take it up with them. The problem is often ascertaining costs at the time of treatment so they can be challenged there and then.

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually, I find the 350 Euros quite cheap for a doctor's visit by a foreigner with no insurance. It's the same thing in Canada; there's free healthcare for residents and citizens who have been putting in money into the system or will be but, otherwise, you will have to pay for services.

quite cheap for a doctor's visit by a foreigner with no insurance
The price is the same with or without insurance; it is just who will be paying. There does not seem to be gainsay pricing in the European medical system (unlike the U.S.). There is one price when treatment is not free as part of national healthcare. The price is not different for different insurance companies or different patients. There is no attempt to gouge. Many travel insurance policies have a $500 deductible, so the treatment would not have met that threshold.

Did the cast cost 350E or the argument??? :D

I'm sorry your daughter broke her arm and you had difficulties with the treatment.

However, I think yours is a cautionary tale in terms of out-of-pocket expense.

With travel insurance we were not out of pocket for our medical emergency, which necessitated a 5 day stay in Caceres. The insurance company took the contact information of the hospital's billing department and dealt with them directly. We never did find out the cost, but we paid nothing for the medical treatment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have similar accident in almost the same region about two years ago.

I fell about 5 km beyond O'Cebreiro, and ended up slicing my left hand. I was able to walk to the next village (oddly called hospital but lacking such a thing) and then the bar owner there, called for a taxi to take me to the clinic in Triacastela.

At the clinic I showed them my Canadian medical insurance card and passport (I did have extra medical coverage but nobody wanted to see this). They took photographs of both documents and that was it

Probably the same doctor that took care of your daughter stitched me up and sent me packing off again about an hour later.

When I got to Sarria the clinic there, cleaned up and redressed the wound (I was told for the next couple of days to drop into the local clinic to check on the wound) and took 1/2 of the stitches out. By the time I got Santiago, the hospital there, took the balance of stitches out.

Everybody seemed impressed I was a bona fide pilgrim - I actually saw on my medical chart that I was classified as such - "pilgrim"

After two years I have never seen a bill nor has my provincial plan sent me something as a follow up. Not sure if anybody was charged.

I guess the rules vary depending on who it is and what it was. However I was get and carry additional medical coverage even though here in Canada we have public coverage.

I entirely agree that the best thing is to have good travel insurance and to simply hand everything over to the insurers.

However if an insurance excess (as Falcon suggests) applies and there is a liability of paying the first 500€ then the amount charged is pretty relevant. I've looked back over medical bills from the same hospital in Santiago as the OP mentioned and 350€ for a brief consultation from a nurse with no treatment does not compare well with what I have been charged. But very difficult to challenge in retrospect from New Zealand!

I think that bringing a passport and medical card of some kind makes a world of difference in the medical care given to pilgrims.
I have taken a wide assortment of pilgrims in to our Palencian medical center and hospital for treatments of fevers, broken bones, even an apparent heart attack. The ones with the presence of mind to bring along full ID were given tip-top care with little waiting. (Tyrrek can attest to the level of care received "out here" when a hunter tried to shoot him!)
The ones who forgot their ID? I think they were assumed to be freeloading on the system. They received competant treatment, but they were not always shown the dignity they deserved.

My doctor tells me there was a problem for several years with foreigners showing up in Spain for free treatment they would have them on wait-lists for in their home countries. They almost always "forgot" their ID. So the docs got tired of them. The screws are tightening on Spain´s socialized healthcare, so nobody gets much of anything for free any more. Buy that travel insurance, folks, and bring along your paperwork when you hit the medical center!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rebekah Scott said:
Buy that travel insurance, folks, and bring along your paperwork when you hit the medical center!
Absolutely, but let's take a step back...
When signing up for insurance, read the small print. Most international travel insurers require that THEY be contacted immediately when an unexpected emergency arises. THEY will tell you there and then where to get treatment and how to deal with all related matters. Obviously within the limits of your coverage. THEY are contracted and then supposed to sort out your problems, including settling your bills. :|

falcon269 said:
Did the cast cost 350E or the argument??? :D
Well it wasn't the cast because we already had that and wanted to get rid of it if possible! And at that hospital I had all our documentation - passports, insurance cover, email from insurance company clarifying that they would pay (as we had contacted them immediately and they had sent a confirmation), xrays from Sarria, report from Lugo (which they took and would not return to me as it is apparently policy not to release documents from a hospital!?????)
It was at Sarria and Lugo, where I had only ten pilgrims' passports that the staff were overly kind and obviously impressed that two cute little girls were actually walking!

Our insurance company has been great - they have already paid us for an extra night in Sarria and the taxi and bus fares - now it's up to them to try to get payment to Spain for the medical costs. When we were at the hospitals I actually tried to pay on the spot and then square it up with the insurance company when we got home, but the hospitals insisted they would need to send an invoice later - interestingly, there are no details about who to pay or bank account numbers or anything! I'm glad that's the insurance company's job. I just hope they sort it so that if we ever have need of services again, we will not be blacklisted!

Thanks for sharing your experience, kiwi-family. Since we're here in Santiago, it's good to know what pilgrims can expect if we ever have to take them to the clinic. 350€ for a 5-minute consultation - goodness! Hope it all works out with your insurance. Take care!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Really, really sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had to attend a walk in clinic in Fromista and was told that the consultation alone would cost 70€. I have an E111 which guarantees any citizen of the EC the same treatment as they would get at home with your home nation picking up the bill.

My E111 was out of date! However, because I was a bona fida member of the EU they told me they would not be charging me.

That was last March and I have not heard from them since.

As I have multiple health issues I always carry insurance and it is very expensive.

On my last two Camino trips it was one third of the final bill, but I would not dare travel without it. It also covers pre-condition problems so I am always utterly honest as to what is wrong with me.

I don't know. I went to the Hospital in Santo Domingo I believe, and they took my passport and handed my a piece of paper that was supposed to be my bill, but through the trenches of travel I lost that paper and haven't figured out how to get a new bill since, I've tried finding the hospital, or figuring out how to pay EU hospital bills as an American citizen... but I haven't found anything for my situation. I am hoping that, some time soon they are able to send a bill using my Passport information? I don't even know if that is possible... but I really don't want to get to Spain on my next trip and be detained for lack of payment!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.