• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting Efren in Belarado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Really was a nice surprise to be in a local bar in belarado when efren came in. He was generous to take pictures with us, my wife has followed him for over 2 years.
Did he say what kind of video he was doing this summer? Camino by bike? A rewalk of the CF?

Did he say what kind of video he was doing this summer? Camino by bike? A rewalk of the CF?
At the moment he is leading a group walk. I have seen posts from members of the group elsewhere.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like his videos for a binge-watch rainy afternoon, but dont follow him follow him. He is talented though.

At the moment he is leading a group walk. I have seen posts from members of the group elsewhere.

I had read earlier that this group walk Efren is doing was arranged in part with Sandy Brown, who has written a few guidebooks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Quite the gig he has going now. His first Camino videos he didn't even know that you couldn't stay in a pilgrim municipal more than night!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm not interested in seeing what others see or experience
I really like to see another perspective (from the air) of where I’ve walked.
Just finishing the Primitivo and Salvador so will be interested to see his drone shots on YouTube.
A lot of YouTube are quite boring but the drone photography is stunning 👣👣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've maybe seen one, just to know what all the fuss is about. That's it, but then again I'm not interested in seeing what others see or experience, especially if I have not yet done that particular route.
I think we have all watched trailers of upcoming movies, and "coming attractions". It helps us decide if it's a movie we want to invest time in to watch. I look at Efren's videos in the same way. He certainly has a gift and has captured the various Caminos and travels he's undertaken with tremendous skill, humour and charm. 😍

I think we have all watched trailers of upcoming movies, and "coming attractions". It helps us decide if it's a movie we want to invest time in to watch.
Personally I am very glad that I did not watch any videos of the Camino before my first walk. The gradual unfolding of the landscapes and the towns and villages was a real joy which I am sure would have been less intense if I had already walked the Camino by proxy through watching someone else's videos and blogs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Personally I am very glad that I did not watch any videos of the Camino before my first walk. The gradual unfolding of the landscapes and the towns and villages was a real joy which I am sure would have been less intense if I had already walked the Camino by proxy through watching someone else's videos and blogs.

Does this need for direct experience extend to the pearly gates (or even the other place?) Should we embrace the surprise and it's unfolding.

Asking for a friend.

Does this need for direct experience extend to the pearly gates (or even the other place?) Should we embrace the surprise and it's unfolding.

Asking for a friend.
We have tested and tasted too much, lover -
through a chink too wide there comes in no wonder....
(Patrick Kavanagh)

Other opinions are of course valid and welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Actually, for me it was the opposite. I watched his video's some two month's before my Camino. I got a wonderful surprise every time I recognised something from his shots. And saw many, many things I don't recall him filming. And his videography is superb!
But even more important - if the YouTube algorithm hadn't directed me to Nadine, from Nadine Walks, I would never have walked the Camino in the first place. I knew nothing about it, nothing about the Albergues, about how little you need to carry. More importantly, about its spirit, it's ethos and the wonderful people that inhabit it.
Those videos, and her wonderful sunny personality (rather like Efrens, whom I watched next) were a very pleasant interlude on a dark winter's day. They got me off the couch, and out for a walk. And another. And another. Just 3 months later, to my first Camino. Those videos led me to the wonderful , wonderful people I met along the way. To my Camino family. And even, dare I say it, indirectly to you all.
I can never, ever thank her enough ❤️

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
But even more important - if the YouTube algorithm hadn't directed me to Nadine, from Nadine Walks, I would never have walked the Camino in the first place. I knew nothing about it, nothing about the Albergues, about how little you need to carry. More importantly, about its spirit, it's ethos and the wonderful people that inhabit it.
I had the good fortune to have a family member who had walked the Camino Frances some years before me. Conversations with Barbara were enough to pique my interest. I also read Laurie Dennett's book "A Hug for the Apostle" for another view of the journey. So I had some verbal inkling of what I would find.

I think we have all watched trailers of upcoming movies, and "coming attractions". It helps us decide if it's a movie we want to invest time in to watch. I look at Efren's videos in the same way. He certainly has a gift and has captured the various Caminos and travels he's undertaken with tremendous skill, humour and charm. 😍
I disagree when it comes to walking one of the Camino routes. Why watch someone else's Camino? It most certainly will be different when you walk it yourself - different season, different state of mind, different company (or none!).

I personally prefer to like a Camino unfold, with all the unknowns and uncertainties. This reminds me of my first Camino, the Francés in 2010. During one stage I met a Frenchman who was walking his 8th Camino Francés in a row, every year the same route. At every corner he would tell me what I would see next. When we arrived in a town he  had to stop at a particular café as he always stopped there. I took the opportunity to continue on. I had no desire to experience the Camino through his eyes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw "The Way" as the only thing I viewed prior to my first camino. It in no way dimished my experience and I was delighted that every new day unfolded fresh for me. The very few times someone mentioned along the way to me that Martin Sheen was here or there when filming, I was actually disappointed to have missed the spot and had taken no notice of it.
This is just one of the many threads where we each have our own experience/opinion; one not better than the other.

I might add that I’ve never seen The Way, and a number of people on this Forum have encouraged me to watch it. What are Efrens videos, if not his own - unscripted, very personal - variant of this apparently famous movie ? 🇳🇿

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And I disliked The Way, much as I know it means a lot to many
I am fairly neutral on the subject - entertaining enough but it does not speak to me in any deep spiritual sense. Those who first learned of the Caminos through seeing the film in recent years often have a far deeper and more personal attachment to it - and quite understandably so. A very avid fan of the movie I met in Melide a few years ago was very angry at my lukewarm response to the film and told me very loudly that I should be more grateful for the movie because without it I and the other pilgrims in sight would never have heard of the Camino. Which left me puzzling over how a 2010 movie could have been the inspiration for my first Camino in 1990...

I prefer to walk the Camino, experience it rather than to live vicariously through someone else's videos about it. I personally find his videos boring and to be honest, cheesy and I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of somebody flying a noisy buzzing drone about.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer to walk the Camino, experience it rather than to live vicariously through someone else's videos about it. I personally find his videos boring and to be honest, cheesy and I wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of somebody flying a noisy buzzing drone about.
I don’t know why you think this adds to the conversation of meeting him while on the camino? Please just pass on this thread if you cannot keep on the subject of meeting him and saying hello.
Moderator please close the thread as some people hijack every thread with negative comments.

I don’t know why you think this adds to the conversation of meeting him while on the camino? Please just pass on this thread if you cannot keep on the subject of meeting him and saying hello.
Moderator please close the thread as some people hijack every thread with negative comments.

I agree and it’s why I deleted my account a few weeks back (but here I am again). Let people have their joy for gods sake.

For heavens sake it’s just a video. What’s the difference between a vlog and a “live from the Camino” post on the forum? Living vicariously can be healthy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For heavens sake it’s just a video. What’s the difference between a vlog and a “live from the Camino” post on the forum? Living vicariously can be healthy.
Totally agree. Some folks are housebound through obligations, wheelchair bound or in poor health, financially bound, etc.
Living vicariously through "armchair travel" is no bad thing and can lift their spirits.

I agree and it’s why I deleted my account a few weeks back (but here I am again). Let people have their joy for gods sake.
I couldn't agree more. I suspect he has whetted more appetite for this camino than all the other negativity displayed on this forum.
Don't like it...don't watch it
Effren has just as much right to engage in his enjoyment (and professionalism) as anyone else.

Chill, people. In post #14, a future Camino pilgrim expressed the opinion that watching YouTube offerings such as Efren's videos are like watching trailers of upcoming movies and of similar "coming attractions". That caused a reaction from people who had walked without having seen other people's visual recordings before even setting foot on the path, and they caution newcomers against such "previewing". Advice that I share, btw. Others have said that they enjoy "postviewing" such videos which is something entirely different.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What’s the difference between a vlog and a “live from the Camino” post on the forum?
Seriously? I'd say that the difference lies in the intention: whether it's just about sharing a personal experience or whether it is about drumming up business, be it clicks and income from online advertisement or more. BTW, I myself don't have an issue with commercial exploitation of the Camino Francés in particular, although I, too, often think of those sections of my way to Santiago when there were few pilgrims in sight and mostly none.

Edited for clarification: commercial exploitation is a "term referring to all activities used to benefit commercially" from material or immaterial assets. Not meant in a negative sense.

Last edited:
Seriously? I'd say that the difference lies in the intention: whether it's just about sharing a personal experience or whether it is about drumming up business, be it clicks and income from online advertisement or more. BTW, I myself don't have an issue with commercial exploitation of the Camino Francés in particular, although I, too, often think of those sections of my way to Santiago when there were few pilgrims in sight and mostly none.

Yes, seriously. I’m not looking to get into a deep excavation of my comment @Kathar1na. My point was the OP expressed excitement over meeting Efren, and another member dumped cold water on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back