• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid layer question

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I was at REI tonight and noticed several pieces similar to this link. Why yes, I did take my kitchen scale with me, :D and I can report that this item weighs less than a thin fleece quarter zip. But I have no idea how warm they are on a cold morning or post walk chill. Are they a decent mid layer assuming you have a baselayer under it and a lightweight shell over it on a very cold morning or in an unheated albergue in mid March?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good question. I like the full zip fleece hoodies, rather than the quarter zip style, but that's just me. The first one I took was too light for an early April camino. Even with a base layer, a long sleeve shirt, the fleece hoodie, and my rain jacket, I was cold some days when I stopped moving. I replaced it with a heavier hoodie (looks the same, but heavier cloth) for my later caminos, and that combo is just right. With a long sleeve base T-Shirt, a long sleeve polyester "sweater" which is really just a heavy-ish shirt, my trusty hoodie, and a rain jacket, I'm comfortable down to -5C, which is colder than you are likely to see.

Hard to know anything about that particular fleece without feeling it, but you are on the right track. Make sure you have a long sleeve shirt (not your base layer, wear that too) to go under it, and a rain jacket on top, and you should be fine. Its about layers. When assessing the weight of any particular layer, you have to think about it in conjunction with everything else in the pack. A very light fleece will be fine if you have a warm long sleeve as well. If your long sleeve is not very warm, a heavier fleece will be needed.

Good question. I like the full zip fleece hoodies, rather than the quarter zip style, but that's just me. The first one I took was too light for an early April camino. Even with a base layer, a long sleeve shirt, the fleece hoodie, and my rain jacket, I was cold some days when I stopped moving. I replaced it with a heavier hoodie (looks the same, but heavier cloth) for my later caminos, and that combo is just right. With a long sleeve base T-Shirt, a long sleeve polyester "sweater" which is really just a heavy-ish shirt, my trusty hoodie, and a rain jacket, I'm comfortable down to -5C, which is colder than you are likely to see.

Hard to know anything about that particular fleece without feeling it, but you are on the right track. Make sure you have a long sleeve shirt (not your base layer, wear that too) to go under it, and a rain jacket on top, and you should be fine. Its about layers. When assessing the weight of any particular layer, you have to think about it in conjunction with everything else in the pack. A very light fleece will be fine if you have a warm long sleeve as well. If your long sleeve is not very warm, a heavier fleece will be needed.
Thank you. This helps. I took a fleece on my first Camino (mid March), and ended up shipping it back. It was both too warm and weighed a ridiculous amount. Then a week later I needed something so I picked up a half zip. It was a little bit of a “three bears” situation “this one is too hot this one’s not hot enough.” But I’ve never looked at a layering system in terms of 4 layers; I’ve only ever done a merino baselayer, mid layer and shell, but my backpacking experience in cold weather is limited to that one Camino. Is 4 the norm?

The piece I linked isn’t a fleece. It’s some sort of tech fabric, which got me wondering if tech fabric is an alternative to a fleece if it’s meant to be a warm piece.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On my spring Caminos I have always used 3-layers; wicking t-shirt, quarter zip fleece, and a poly filled puff jacket. The t-shirt is perfect for when the weather turns warm, but also serves as a great base layer to keep my fleece cleaner for much longer.

On my spring Caminos I have always used 3-layers; wicking t-shirt, quarter zip fleece, and a poly filled puff jacket. The t-shirt is perfect for when the weather turns warm, but also serves as a great base layer to keep my fleece cleaner for much longer.
Does your puff jacket also work as a rain shell, or would that be a 4th layer?

Is a base layer of long sleeve wool, long sleeve shirt and gore-tex unlined jacket enough for April 1 Sarria to Santiago?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is a base layer of long sleeve wool, long sleeve shirt and gore-tex unlined jacket enough for April 1 Sarria to Santiago?
Kinda depends on how cold you run. When I was in Galicia in late March (2017) I was fine with a merino baselayer and a rain jacket (marmot precip) but I also am often in short sleeves when others are bundled up. If you run even a little bit cold I’d add a more traditional mid layer of some sort.

My mid layer for years now is a skiing vest….alternative is a runners vest….serves me well and is functional by far…..

Ultreia🙏🏼

I was at REI tonight and noticed several pieces similar to this link. Why yes, I did take my kitchen scale with me, :D and I can report that this item weighs less than a thin fleece quarter zip. But I have no idea how warm they are on a cold morning or post walk chill. Are they a decent mid layer assuming you have a baselayer under it and a lightweight shell over it on a very cold morning or in an unheated albergue in mid March?

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My mid layer for years now is a skiing vest….alternative is a runners vest….serves me well and is functional by far…..

Ultreia🙏🏼
This question will show my complete ignorance of all things skiing, but what is your ski vest made of? Or a runner’s vest?

But I’ve never looked at a layering system in terms of 4 layers; I’ve only ever done a merino baselayer, mid layer and shell, but my backpacking experience in cold weather is limited to that one Camino. Is 4 the norm?

It is for me. If you walked in March before (unless you were very lucky?) you know that you can set off in the morning with frost on the ground, and its 18C by lunch time. I certainly experienced this in April. To have the most flexibility, I like to wear everything I'm carrying for the coldest day, and peel it off one layer at a time as the sun heats up. I also need a combo for a 5C morning, and another for a 10C morning, you get them all over the course of a month.

My original hoodie was a "Tech" material piece. Very light, looked cool, indestructible, but not warm enough. They are all different, and I now make sure I try everything in the temperature range I want to use it in. Harder for you to do that ahead of time!

It is for me. If you walked in March before (unless you were very lucky?) you know that you can set off in the morning with frost on the ground, and its 18C by lunch time. I certainly experienced this in April. To have the most flexibility, I like to wear everything I'm carrying for the coldest day, and peel it off one layer at a time as the sun heats up. I also need a combo for a 5C morning, and another for a 10C morning, you get them all over the course of a month.

My original hoodie was a "Tech" material piece. Very light, looked cool, indestructible, but not warm enough. They are all different, and I now make sure I try everything in the temperature range I want to use it in. Harder for you to do that ahead of time!
It was definitely a cold March. 6 inches of snow plus sleet and ice on the way out of O Ceb. I was good with a heavy merino top and my Marmot precip. Except for my hands. My gloves were not warm enough. I had heavy socks on over them and still had cold hands. Better gloves are on my list for next time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.