• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mid Layer

Tapseyah

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned mid to late March start
Hi. My head is wrecked from reading! Going on the Camino de Frances starting second half of March. I am looking for a fleece as either outer layer on nice days or a mid layer on bad days. I was thinking of going for the Patagonia R1 air, or the R1, or the Arc'teryx Atom or the Arc'teryx Proton etc, etc....But every thing I read about them, every reviewer seems to be an ice mountain climber or lives in the artic so can't tell how they would be in Northern Spain in March/April! Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Patrick

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi. My head is wrecked from reading! Going on the Camino de Frances starting second half of March. I am looking for a fleece as either outer layer on nice days or a mid layer on bad days. I was thinking of going for the Patagonia R1 air, or the R1, or the Arc'teryx Atom or the Arc'teryx Proton etc, etc....But every thing I read about them, every reviewer seems to be an ice mountain climber or lives in the artic so can't tell how they would be in Northern Spain in March/April! Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Patrick
It is probably because they are technical gear and expensive. Do you have something else in the closet that you already own that you can wear that you like?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a light merino wool hoody that I wear over a short sleeved merino t-shirt and a white PFG fishing shirt I wear over that for three layers. I also have an lightweight older model NorthFace thermoball coat that is synthetic that I can take along if needed in the winter. I try not to take anything too expensive and try for things that could be easily replaced at a Decathlon store or charity shop along the way. I've accidently left things or lost things a few times and had to source replacements. You can always add your raincoat or rain poncho or rain pants for warmth if needed over a couple of layers.

I had the following combination last May/June and found it quite versatile:

- Merino T-Shirt
- Merino Longsleeve (thin)
- Arcteryx Atom SL
- Rainjacket
(- button down shirt)

The first 4 i layered up depending on how cold it was. I have to admit, i do run cold, but while walking, it gave me plenty of warmth down towards like 5°C. While stationary i missed a light fleece a few times, so in March i might use the LT instead of the SL version (or a light fleece).
The shirt was mainly used at evenings or on really hot days by its own.

(main thing i love about the Atom jackets is that the breathe well, stop the wind and hold of light!! rain)

It is probably because they are technical gear and expensive. Do you have something else in the closet that you already own that you can wear that you like?
I have a fifteen year old reggatta soft shell that I'd say is about as warm as paper towels! I don't mind buying technical and expensive as I will only ever buy one and use it regularly, I guess this is why I have let it take over my mind, they are expensive! Thanks for replying J

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum! I see from your profile that you are from Ireland. What would you wear going for a day-long walk at home? You should prepare for a similar range of conditions in northern Spain, although you'll likely find it is a bit warmer.
We Irish dress as though we are still unsure of our climate and what it may bring! But anything I do use is old and heavy so unsuitable for the camino. I guess my fear is having a mid layer that is either not breathable enough or not warm enough! I should probably have phrased my question 'Can anyone tell me what the weather will be along the Camino de Frances from the 17th of March until the 20th of April?'!!
Thanks for replying C

I had the following combination last May/June and found it quite versatile:

- Merino T-Shirt
- Merino Longsleeve (thin)
- Arcteryx Atom SL
- Rainjacket
(- button down shirt)

The first 4 i layered up depending on how cold it was. I have to admit, i do run cold, but while walking, it gave me plenty of warmth down towards like 5°C. While stationary i missed a light fleece a few times, so in March i might use the LT instead of the SL version (or a light fleece).
The shirt was mainly used at evenings or on really hot days by its own.

(main thing i love about the Atom jackets is that the breathe well, stop the wind and hold of light!! rain)
Thanks for the break down Anhalter, appreciate it

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are considering investing I have an Arcteryx Delta fleece. It is very light and has a full zip. I walk in the Autumn so it is handy first thing in the morning and in the evenings. It washes well and dries quickly. I've had it for years and bought mine in a sale because it was the previous years colour.

I’m leaving for my first camino on April 20th. After extensive research, I decided on the Patagonia R1 Daily Zip-Neck Pullover. It’s so comfortable and stretchy. I run cold so decided I needed a layer like this in my pack. Although this is my first camino, I imagine I’ll be wearing it frequently when starting out early in the mornings and in the evenings when the temperature may be lower. I plan on layering it with either my Icebreaker merino t-shirt or my 150 Smartwool 1/4 zip.

I bought a Senchi grid fleece for a mid layer. Super SUPER lightweight (less than 4 oz / 110gr) perfect for cooler weather as is or under a windbreaker or shell for colder days.

*be warned: Senchi releases garments in batches every couple of months and tend to sell out very quickly! Sign up for their emails to find when their next product drop is (today is their latest drop date!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.