• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outer layer CF mid-OCT to early Nov?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore a fleece for mid October to mid November on the CF. I think what you posted might suffice if you are only going for two weeks (not sure what sections you are doing but I assume you are also bringing a rain jacket)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I really have no idea how much warmth will be needed.
And neither do we either!! Its not so much how warm any individual layer might be, but how you can layer to keep as warm as you need to be.

At a similar time at the beginning of spring, I used a mid-weight fleece as my outer warm layer, and a rain jacket for my wind and waterproof layer. I generally started each day with three layers - base, mid layer trekking shirt, and fleece or rain jacket. If it was raining, it would be four layers. When it was really cold, I added another base layer t-shirt, but that can be pretty cumbersome if you don't make the decision before you leave, and have to add it while you are walking. Equally, it is more difficult to remove than being able to remove one of the outer layers.

For me, a poncho is not a great warm layer addition. It might be a reasonable wind and water resistant fabric, but any that I have used have not been close fitting enough to capture a layer of air that can assist in keeping you warm. I have the same objection to bomber-style rain jackets, that do not adequately cover one's buttocks. I have found these don't adequately protect one's torso from anything but a zephyr!

I see that @dougfitz has given some good advice, and I think my comments will be consistent with his approach, but described a bit differently.
Simple question- what is needed for outerlayer (jacket) for CF mid- October to first of November?
Don't put the extra warmth into a single jacket. It is better to have a very light weight outer jacket, and another shirt layer under it. That way you have maximum flexibility for different conditions or different uses.

I suggest going back to the idea of layers. You need a combination to mix and match for all conditions - cold, wet, warm, dry. You can't nail down one item without considering the others.
  1. What would you wear on a nice warm walking day? What sun protection for your arms?
  2. What extras can you add for early morning chill? For example: buff, gloves, additional shirt layer for a bit of warmth.
  3. If it rains, what will you add for protection? It might be muggy and warm rain, or it might be sleet!
  4. If it is cold but dry, what layer can you add to your nice weather outfit? The outer jacket could be part of the system for cold days, as well as rainy days.
  5. You will want something warm and cosy for the evenings when your body is tired and chilled. Maybe a down jacket, to supplement your sleeping bag. It could be worn in the day on a very cold day, but usually your walking will generate enough heat that you might overheat with it.
  6. What will you have as second pants? Is this going to be a second walking outfit, or an separate evening/sleeping outfit?
  7. What will you sleep in? Maybe a merino wool base layer, that can also be worn under your clothes on a cold day. You just need to ensure that you keep a complete outfit dry for the evening.
It really is important to consider the whole system.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Besides being prepared for rain as noted in the answers above also be prepared for cold.Many who walk in autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Walking I always wore a short sleeved polyester undershirt topped by a polyester longsleeve shirt and a thin water proof jacket. Furthermore I also carried an extra set of the same basic combo.

Here are a kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.

Last edited:
When I walked the Frances October to November I carried a fleece pullover and a packable rain jacket. I survived. Didn't die even when it snowed on me. 😆
Sorry, I don't know what kind of fleece it was other than synthetic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My layering system:

Really hot --> ultralight button down shirt
Hot --> T-Shirt
Warm --> T-Shirt + thin Longsleeve
Cold-ish and/or windy--> T-Shirt + thin Longsleeve + Softshell + maybe light gloves
Cold and/or windy --> T-Shirt + thin Longsleeve + Softshell + Rainjacket + maybe light gloves
Freezing -->T-Shirt + Fleece + Softshell + Rainjacket + light gloves

yeah, guess that's quite some layers i carry around, but it works like a charm. The combination of the two jackets give quite the versatility. Specially the softshell i wear a lot, it breathes nicely, stops most of the wind and even the ocasional drop of rain.

Besides being prepared for rain as noted in the answers above also be prepared for cold.Many who walk in autumn wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Walking I always wore a short sleeved polyester undershirt topped by a polyester longsleeve shirt and a thin water proof jacket. Furthermore I also carried an extra set of the same basic combo.

Here are a kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter.
Dear friend MSPath ; Thank you for the kit list! Very helpful. I have a question- do you take only runner's tights for the bottom half? No pants or shorts?

Simple question- what is needed for outerlayer (jacket) for CF mid- October to first of November? I am trying to determine how much warmth I need to add on top of this (also have a thin LS merino wool shirt that fits under the below). I will have a rain poncho as well.

https://www.rei.com/product/215215/kari-traa-silja-half-zip-base-layer-top-womens

Specific recommendations much appreciated!
To clarify - I will have good base layers to wear under the jacket (M. wool LS shirt, M.wool T shirt, and also a silk LS shirt as 1st layer if needed.). I'm looking at jackets as a final outer layer.
Let's just say you had to choose between these two- which one would it be? Links included.

Women’s Carto Triclimate® Jacket waterproof, breathable, and windproof DryVent™ 2L shell paired with a zip-out, insulated liner jacket.

Triclimate

Outer Body:75D 116 g/m² DryVent™ 2L—100% recycled polyester with non-PFC durable water-repellent (non-PFC DWR) finish
Outer Lining:75D 68 g/m² 100% polyester taffeta with non-PFC DWR finish
Outer Insulation:100 g Heatseeker™ Eco 70% post-consumer recycled polyester in body, 60 g in sleeves
Inner:50D 72 g/m² 100% polyester taffeta
Inner Insulation:Heatseeker™ Eco 70%

Women’s ThermoBall™ Eco Hoodie 2.0

Thermoball

The slim-fit Women’s ThermoBall™ Eco Hoodie 2.0 features an innovative quilting pattern and advanced insulation for lightweight warmth, durability and packability.
Style:NF0A5GLC

Body:100% recycled nylon
Insulation:11 g/ft² ThermoBall™ Eco 100% post-consumer recycled polyester

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Layers! As was said above, and good luck with gambling.

For the Mozarabe I had very cold weather and only a super thin puffer and was a bit miserable.
For the next, the CP, also october/november it was warmer than usual and I carried a thicker puffer for wearing it only once or twice.

Apart from the puffer and a light weight raincoat/pants I'll always have a light weight t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt (merino), a zipper jacket (lightweight fleece/merino). I go lightweight, my bag was about 5-6 kilos in total and was a through-hike/running style pack. (Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30) so trying to make the most out of combining stuff and layering.

Your two examples are not exactly comparable, since one has two layers and the other has only one layer.

The Triclimate is two layers - a light rain shell over a quilted insulation. They could serve as two of the layers - cosy insulation layer for the evenings/sleeping, and a rain/wind protection in the day. Rarely would you need them together. I would look very carefully at the weight and bulk of these two. Even if you want something like these two layers (and I do), you don't need to buy them as a pair.

The Thermoball is another candidate for the cosy insulation layer, but again I would look at the weight and bulk. Personally, I would not want a slim fit for sleeping in. I also don't like hoods, which can be bulky when you don't need them. I prefer the flexibility of a buff.

Dear friend MSPath ; Thank you for the kit list! Very helpful. I have a question- do you take only runner's tights for the bottom half? No pants or shorts?
After learning what was not good for me me on my first camio for all the other It was just runner's tights never pants nor shorts.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always hike with the following for my upper body layers: (Tank top - but more so May to October), merino wool t-shirt, merino wool long sleeve t-shirt, down puffy, and rain jacket. I wear any combination of the above depending on how cold/warm I am. If I find I think I am going to be colder, I will also bring a merino-wool half-zip that is a little heavier than my long sleeve t-shirt. Usually this is enough. But - on my first Camini in June/July 2021 - it was unseasonably cold and I even bought a lightweight fleece in Spain. I didn't have the fleece or the half-zip the following summer and was fine. I do get cold easy.

If choosing between a fleece and a down puffy I go for the puffy because it is lighter, packs smaller, and keeps me comfortable in a wider range of temperatures. Also - I can shop around for one I am willing to pay for at home - I only saw expensive options while I was walking in Spain. Fleece on the other hand - were easier to find in more towns and very affordable. So - I am willing to buy a fleece in Spain, but not so willing to buy a down puffy in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.