• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mint against bedbugs

P

Pabloke

I don't know if this has any scientific basis or it's just the "grandma's wisdom", but i've read and heard that smell of mint repels bedbugs.

My experience? The truth is that i've been using a cold effect gel made with menthol on my legs every night and i have had no bites, while others around do have been bitten.

Casuality? Maybe. I've been using this gel everytime i trek, no matter where, to reactivate the blood circulation and relax my tired legs while sleeping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In fairness to the OP, the question is about "repelling" the bed bug, not killing. The usual focus in the threads is on permethrin for killing, but there's a lot of references to using tea tree oil as a repellent. In my admittedly limited research, I don't ever recall seeing any studies on effectiveness of repellents (whether "natural" or not).

I'm not attached to any particular answer, but would be curious to know if a credible scientific study has addressed this?

Also, on the slightly more masochistic side, here's an article about ongoing research into attractants as part of a trapping system . . . Scientist Has A Bedbug Breakthrough After Subjecting Herself To 180,000 Bites. Gave me the willies.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Mint - another reason for carrying a tube of Polos on Camino :) - and we have never seen a bed-bug there.
Stinkweed keeps moths away so a piece of that might be good too. It tends to permeate the clothes and is often used with the addition of lavender.

In fairness to the OP, the question is about "repelling" the bed bug, not killing. The usual focus in the threads is on permethrin for killing, but there's a lot of references to using tea tree oil as a repellent. In my admittedly limited research, I don't ever recall seeing any studies on effectiveness of repellents (whether "natural" or not).

I'm not attached to any particular answer, but would be curious to know if a credible scientific study has addressed this?

Also, on the slightly more masochistic side, here's an article about ongoing research into attractants as part of a trapping system . . . Scientist Has A Bedbug Breakthrough After Subjecting Herself To 180,000 Bites. Gave me the willies.

Thanks Koilife.

Yes, i talk about repelling, not killing. By the moment i'm not concerned about bites but about carrying these aliens back home.

And, obviously, i was not asserting a thing about the mint performance; but mint, as any other substance either natural or synthetic, is chemical and can influence on the bug's behavior.

Or not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If we are responsible for bedbugs travelling all along the Camino, do they qualify for a Compostela? :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't know if this has any scientific basis or it's just the "grandma's wisdom", but i've read and heard that smell of mint repels bedbugs.

My experience? The truth is that i've been using a cold effect gel made with menthol on my legs every night and i have had no bites, while others around do have been bitten.

Casuality? Maybe. I've been using this gel everytime i trek, no matter where, to reactivate the blood circulation and relax my tired legs while sleeping.

I don't know why fun is being made of this legitimate inquiry. It is not impossible that Cold Effect Gel discourages bed bugs. Perhaps the menthol or camphor or cooling effect is not to the little critters taste. I say if it seems to work maybe you have hit on something.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They love peppermint but will settle for spearmint in a pinch.

I don't know why fun is being made of this legitimate inquiry. It is not impossible that Cold Effect Gel discourages bed bugs. Perhaps the menthol or camphor or cooling effect is not to the little critters taste. I say if it seems to work maybe you have hit on something.

Bah, don't worry about it.

When i write something i accept that some people may find my thoughts, or even my person, kind of ridiculous. And i accept their need to make me know it, aswell.

That's part of being human, nothing new.

Anyway, i don't feel offended, hurted or so. I'm pretty sure i would have a good time with them around a table of cold beers.

The topic: i'm using this gel for many years. I don't know if it works for repelling bugs but i've never seen a bite on my skin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The quoted article says that the products failed to repel the bedbugs. So, they don't kill, and they don't repel.

Heat works, but how about the stories about houses going up in flames when heat treatment goes wrong? Apparently there have been a few. Bedbugs win.

I just spent the weekend in New York City, and it seemed that every third TV ad was for services to get rid of bed bugs! It isn't just the Camino!!!!

I just spent the weekend in New York City, and it seemed that every third TV ad was for services to get rid of bed bugs! It isn't just the Camino!!!!

Haha! Another reason to blame you Americans for something or rather ! You brought them in! :D:D;)

Please, no hate mail, IT WAS A JOKE :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back