• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Missing Pilgrim

joanjf

Hello. Thank you for reading my post.
My brother died in Triacastella on the 3rd of October 2013. This was sudden He was fit and had walked the Camino from Roncesvalles. He started his walk on the 1st of September. HE was a doctor. His name was
Dr. Lobo.
I am looking to piece his last few days together. I know from his camera that he met many pilgrims along the way. He treated many as well along the way.
The photos show me he had met a number of people who he had dinner with and who he probably walked with. Please help me to remember his last few weeks.
I will be most grateful for even just a simple note. He was only 100k away from his destination of Santiago De Compostella. There are many who took photos of him and he took many photos of them.
I appreciate any information. Thank you so much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear Joan. I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I can only imagine your grief. I have not yet walked the camino and so therefore have no information for you, but I hope and pray someone on the forum will be able to help you fill in your brother's last days.

Dear Joan,

I do hope readers on this forum are able to help with the information you need.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My brother died in Triacastella on the 3rd of October 2013. This was sudden He was fit and had walked the Camino from Roncesvalles. He started his walk on the 1st of September. HE was a doctor. His name was
Dr. Lobo.
I am looking to piece his last few days together. I know from his camera that he met many pilgrims along the way. He treated many as well along the way.
The photos show me he had met a number of people who he had dinner with and who he probably walked with. Please help me to remember his last few weeks.
I will be most grateful for even just a simple note. He was only 100k away from his destination of Santiago De Compostella. There are many who took photos of him and he took many photos of them.
Ah, Kanga, My sincerest sympathy. I have only walked in the spring. I pray that you receive a HUGE response to your query. May your brother rest in peace, after treading his camino ('completion' is not essential!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you to those who will look at this post. Those who looked at my first post and suggested i posted a photo. To the man who is with my brother in one of the photos, I believe you were good friends as i have many photos of you with my brother. I have inserted photos of my brother who died in Triacastella in October. His death was very sudden and not expected. He was fit and he wanted to do the Camino. He told me that he would walk with me this year as i wanted to do the last 100k. Please if any of you remember my brother or had a chat with him or dinner or a walk, please please send me a note. I need to find out about his Camino from you all there as he did not come back to tell me his story as promised. With my kindest wishes. My Blessings. thank you so much
DSC00330.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I can't help you as I will be walking the Camino for the first time this May, but I really hope you'll find out more about his last days and the friends he made along the way. All my love to you and your family.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you to those who will look at this post. Those who looked at my first post and suggested i posted a photo. To the man who is with my brother in one of the photos, I believe you were good friends as i have many photos of you with my brother. I have inserted photos of my brother who died in Triacastella in October. His death was very sudden and not expected. He was fit and he wanted to do the Camino. He told me that he would walk with me this year as i wanted to do the last 100k. Please if any of you remember my brother or had a chat with him or dinner or a walk, please please send me a note. I need to find out about his Camino from you all there as he did not come back to tell me his story as promised. With my kindest wishes. My Blessings. thank you so much
View attachment 8233

i walked the Camino from St Jean and started on Sep 2, your brother looks familiar but it was 6 months ago if you email his photo to me I will circulate it to my fellow walkers.
I am not on face book but please email daston47@gmail.com,

i arrived in Santiago around October 14
thank you regards

David Aston

A selection of Camino Jewellery
H
Dr. Lobo.

Hi my wife and I spent a few days with him we had dinner with him and he helped my wife who had a bad leg remember him well I will try and find some pictures of him

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Joan I was an Amigo working the day you came in to the pilgrim office and I felt so very sad for you . I did get to see and read the Compostela certificate for him. Thank you for posting the beautiful photograph.

I am very sorry for your loss. I hope that you walk part of the Camino as you intended and it brings you a wealth of experience as your brother had before his unfortunate death.
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dr. Lobo.
Dear Joan - My wife and I were on the Camino at approximately the same time as your brother but I do not think that we walked with him or stayed with him. Based on the dates that you gave, he started a few days before we did, and arrived in Triacastela a little before us. We are very sorry for your loss, and based on our experience on the Camino, we know that he lived his last days surrounded by beauty and immersed in love. We are passing your post on to a few people whom we met on the Camino, in the hopes that one of them might have met him.

View attachment 8233
I recognize this man. His first name is Agnelo and he told me he was a GP and cardiologist. He passed me walking a few times and we exchanged congenial greetings each time and shared bits about our lives back home and about our Camino experiences. When I walked into Boadilla I stopped for coffee and there he was, so I sat at his table and we had a conversation. That evening I met him on the street in Fromista and he was seemingly okay and had enjoyed sight-seeing. He was staying in private accommodations rather than at albergues. I spoke with him last in Carrion de los Condes. He presumably continued walking the next day while I took a rest day. I never saw him again and I seemingly got ahead of him when I pushed ahead by train between Sahagun and Sarria, as I walked into Santiago on October 7th.

Sorry for your loss. Courage.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hallo Jean....I read your message on a site wou cannot read every one....you must be an member! So I read that there where people who known him! Maybe write on that site your answers....hopefully you find the right people....God blesh you!!
Dr. Lobo.

Joan, I am so sorry. May you find the answers to your questions. I was not there but hope that you get more responses. Sending prayers and wishes for comfort for and yours. MICHELE FROM NYC

Dear Joan,
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your brother looks like a wonderful person and a great guy. I was not walking on the French trail nor at the same time as he was, but I have friends here who may have met him. I will pass on your info and his photo to them. Do you have an email I could pass on to them, if indeed any of them (five pilgrims from PEI, Canada) did meet and talk to him?
All my best.
Heather

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dr. Lobo.

Hello,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I am so sorry to hear of this terrible news. I had no idea that he had passed while we were on the trail. I walked one day with your brother and it was a conversation that continued to inspire me and others that I shared it with. We talked about coincidence and how there wasn't truly any coincidence. Everything happened for a reason. "I know that we met for a reason" he once said. Not to be profound, but to show that every interaction had a purpose. We walked together in the rain on Sept. 27 the first day out of Leon.

"The Doctor" as he was known by fellow pilgrims shared a beautiful story with me and I would love to share it with you. A common opening question to a new friend on the camino is " so why do you walk?" It is usually asked within the first few minutes because it is the one thing you know you will have answer for. The Doctor told me that he walked to thank God for the many times he had been blessed in his life. He also shared how he had been delivered from poverty twice in his life.

He shared his history how he was a refugee sent to London with his sister and only the clothes on his back. His parents sent him to live with his aunt to escape being killed his his village. From coming in with nothing he felt he God had delivered him to the fullest out of this situation as he later graduated from Cambridge school of Medicine, one of the most prestigious Medical schools in the world. This was the first time he was profoundly blessed.

He then began practicing medicine and got married. He admitted that his work become the most important thing in his marriage and he neglected the needs of his wife, so she sought someone else's attention. This drained him emotionally and and when they were divorced, also financially. She took many of his possessions. However, the Lord provided. He said he was in a place in his life that God was blessing him in abundance and he was very happy. So that is why he walked. To humble himself for these 30 days and spend time with God.

We chatted about other "coincidences" that happened in our lives which seemed to shape the people we had become. Even things that happened on our camino journey to shape our experience. He was very optimistic and loved a good conversation.

The last time I saw him was on Sept. 30. He took my photo at the Cruz de Ferro. However his story was so inspiring I continued to tell it. I was also on the camino to spend time with God. Even though the pilgrimage was originally a religious one, not many answers to the opening question included God so his response stayed with me.

Unfortunately I do not have any photos with the Doctor although he may have one with me. Please know that your brother inspired so many people along the way, weather he realized it or not. He was very happy at the end of his life. I am so sorry again to hear of his passing.

With love ,
Emily Sanders

Dear Joan,
I am so very sorry for your loss. Your brother looks like a wonderful person and a great guy. I was not walking on the French trail nor at the same time as he was, but I have friends here who may have met him. I will pass on your info and his photo to them. Do you have an email I could pass on to them, if indeed any of them (five pilgrims from PEI, Canada) did meet and talk to him?
All my best.
Heather

PS I just checked; my friends started in SJJP on 10 September so your brother would have been well ahead of them. I'm sorry; I doubt they would have met up with each other.

Hello,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I am so sorry to hear of this terrible news. I had no idea that he had passed while we were on the trail. I walked one day with your brother and it was a conversation that continued to inspire me and others that I shared it with. We talked about coincidence and how there wasn't truly any coincidence. Everything happened for a reason. "I know that we met for a reason" he once said. Not to be profound, but to show that every interaction had a purpose. We walked together in the rain on Sept. 27 the first day out of Leon.

"The Doctor" as he was known by fellow pilgrims shared a beautiful story with me and I would love to share it with you. A common opening question to a new friend on the camino is " so why do you walk?" It is usually asked within the first few minutes because it is the one thing you know you will have answer for. The Doctor told me that he walked to thank God for the many times he had been blessed in his life. He also shared how he had been delivered from poverty twice in his life.

He shared his history how he was a refugee sent to London with his sister and only the clothes on his back. His parents sent him to live with his aunt to escape being killed his his village. From coming in with nothing he felt he God had delivered him to the fullest out of this situation as he later graduated from Cambridge school of Medicine, one of the most prestigious Medical schools in the world. This was the first time he was profoundly blessed.

He then began practicing medicine and got married. He admitted that his work become the most important thing in his marriage and he neglected the needs of his wife, so she sought someone else's attention. This drained him emotionally and and when they were divorced, also financially. She took many of his possessions. However, the Lord provided. He said he was in a place in his life that God was blessing him in abundance and he was very happy. So that is why he walked. To humble himself for these 30 days and spend time with God.

We chatted about other "coincidences" that happened in our lives which seemed to shape the people we had become. Even things that happened on our camino journey to shape our experience. He was very optimistic and loved a good conversation.

The last time I saw him was on Sept. 30. He took my photo at the Cruz de Ferro. However his story was so inspiring I continued to tell it. I was also on the camino to spend time with God. Even though the pilgrimage was originally a religious one, not many answers to the opening question included God so his response stayed with me.

Unfortunately I do not have any photos with the Doctor although he may have one with me. Please know that your brother inspired so many people along the way, weather he realized it or not. He was very happy at the end of his life. I am so sorry again to hear of his passing.

With love ,
Emily Sanders

Dear Joan, my heart goes out to you. unfortunately I did not have the privilege of meeting your brother along the way however I am sure he inspired many and their lives are forever changed simply because he shared a brief but sacred part of his journey and I hope that one day you walk at least the last 100km as planned. (maybe this will help you to experience your brothers last few day?) My profile photo is a pic of me outside St James Cathedral, I will be there on the 6th October 2014 at 11:00am (for a Camino re-union) If you happened to be there too, please come say Hola (Hi).

€83,-
Dr. Lobo.

Dear Joan
I'm very sad to hear of your loss. I met your brother in Los Arcos. We had dinner in a hotel with 6 other pilgrims, Elsie, Lyn, Brett, Paul and Patrick. I sat next to your brother and we had an intense conversation about life. He felt he had something to give back to the world due to all the hardships he had gone through earlier in his life. He was seeking to understand the existence of life. He was a very intelligent man and I enjoyed my time with him.

Condolences to you and your family and I hope you enjoy this photo from that night.
Esther

Attachments

• 1476444_10201134118338692_2145889845_n.jpg
    1476444_10201134118338692_2145889845_n.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 268
Dr. Lobo.
So very sad to read of the death of your brother....thinking of you.

€83,-
Dr. Lobo.

I didn't meet your brother, Joan, as I walked in earlier months, but I am deeply sorry for your loss. I hope you are comforted by people coming forward with their stories. All my love to you.

Hello,

With love ,
Emily Sanders

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story, Emily.

Dear Joan,

Your brother walked some days before me. I was the 11th of September in Roncevalles and past in Tricastela the 17th of October. I sent a message to my camino-buddies and your message is shared through Facebook. Hopefully the word spreads and people will contact you.

And I can't stop thinking: dying walking the Camino is a nice place and time to die. The Camino is like a world on itself. The people you meet, become friends in matter of hours. It's easy to open your hart and connect to strangers. On the camino, you never walk alone.

Triacastella is more or less 25km into Gallicia. The landscape is very green and lush. There are a lot of sunken pathways with on the sides old magical trees. I thought about is as a land of elfs and trolls. Some kilometers before Triacastella there is an ancient chestnut, magistical and welcoming the pelgims who pass there.

Hope you find some of his camino-buddies,

joke

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, Joan. So sorry for your loss. We, peregrinos share a common kinship, regardless of how far and when we've walked. I have not met your brother but I believe we all feel the loss. I hope you get the information and pictures you seek.
Kind regards,
Anna

Dr. Lobo.

We run an albergue a little before Portomarin. It is called Casa Banderas. Iwill post your request on our Facebook page in case anyone who stayed with us may have met your brother. I hope this may help and wish you success

Dear Joan:

I was a few days behind your brother so I did not meet him, but like many others I walked in his footsteps. Three days before reaching Triacastela, your brother would have passed La Cruz de Ferro (or the Iron Cross) on top of mountain just beyond Foncebadon. It is a Pilgrim tradition to carry a small stone from home with you to place at the Cruz de Ferro. I would like to think your brother placed a stone on the giant pile. He would have descended the mountain and walked through several picturesque villages. On the day before he passed, he would have climbed another mountain. On top of that mountain is a tiny little village called O'Cebreiro. It has a wonderful church that many pilgrims visit whether they are staying in O'Cebreiro or not. The path down the mountain from O'Cebreiro, on his last day, is also picturesque and breathtaking. Along the way, he would have come across the statue that is behind me in my avatar picture. The walk into Triacatela is a sharp decline down a sunken path that at times sits six feet below the surrounding fields. As it meanders toward Triacastela it passes numerous barns that are teeming with all sorts of sights, sounds and smells. That particular stretch of the Camino is memorable for me because I met a farmer herding several dozen cattle up the path to a different pasture. The farmer rode a tiny burro and had his trusty dog at his side. As the cattle approached me I was forced to stop walking and press myself against the left wall of the sunken path. As the cattle passed me they paid me no attention other than a brief glance. The farmer and I tipped our caps at each other before I resumed walking. A few minutes later I was in the beautiful village of Triacastela. I have a warm memory of that town because a pharmacist there helped me with my feet. She was kind and smiled a lot. She made me feel welcome and cared for even though she knew she would never see me again.

I hope recounting part of my Camino has helped you understand what your brother was probably experiencing. The Camino is a very special place. I wish you peace as others recount their experiences with your brother. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
So sorry Joan to hear your very sad news, God bless you with many pilgrims who can tell you parts of your brothers Camino story. May you also be given comfort and the strength in your grief .

Dr. Lobo.
Im so sorry for Your loss!however Im sure Your lovely Brother Resting in Peace!His "way"made unespected turn,but not always We choosing Way which We will Walk!I belive that God have him close,and He looking after You and Your Family!God bless You all!

€83,-
I am so sorry for Your loss! I am sorry I did not get to meet your brother. I walked the Camino in Nov and finished early Dec. 2013. The Camino is a very special path, where you meet wonderful people and see beautiful sites. I believe as he was walking to thank God that he was held close to him. As God holds close all who trust him. He died in a very beautiful place, Galicia. If you can walk the Camino at all it may help to walk, where he had walked and experience some of its's beauty, spiritual remewal and fellow pilgrims. God Bless you!

Dear Joan,

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Have you sent a request to the various Camino Facebook Communities? There is a very strong Hungarian, Brazilian Facebook Communities that I am aware of. There is also a strong South Korean community on another platform called Kakao. South Koreans make up a large % of pilgrims, especially at that time of year.

Here is the link to the Brazilian Facebook Community

https://www.facebook.com/groups/100851393354563/

Here is a link to the Hungarian Facebook Community

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Budapesti-El-Camino-de-Santiago-Klub/159651677384198

I do not have a link to the Korean Kakao page but I know a few Koreans who maybe able to help and would be able to translate into Korean. I could also ask a Brazilian and Hungarian contacts to translate your request and create a link to this Forum. A photo would also help to jog peoples memories.

With sympathy

C

Dear Joan,

Your brother looks familiar, but i cannot say that i know him. I know i have seen him around, thats for sure. I probably past him know and then, as i past just about everybody with my crazy fast pace.
I do know some of the people in this thread that knew him, some are pilgrim family, thats one reason why i am sure that i have seen your brother around.
I checked all my pictures, you never know if he was in one, even just on the background, but alas.

Sorry i cant be of any more help.

Wishing you much needed strength.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Joan,

Everyone has encountered those special individuals in life who pass through, sometimes only for just a moment, but leave a profound lasting impact. Your brother was one of these incredible people for me.

I began walking the camino September 3rd and arrived in Santiago 35 days later on October 7th with my friend Rosie. Whenever anyone asks me about the camino, I only have the most wonderful things to say about it. More than anything, it was an incredible journey because of the people we met along the way. There was something in the air that we all shared - and although we had usually only known each other for 24 hours, a couple days, or sometimes even less time, the friendships that were formed were true and lasting because of the honesty that prevailed and the intimate stories that were shared.

Rosie and I met your brother about halfway through our walk, and he was actually someone we had noticed in the couple days leading up to our first conversation. His bright neon jacket flashed in the sun as he would speed by us, walking at a much faster pace. We remarked on him several times, impressed by his sheer speed and determination. And then one day, he kindly slowed down to our pace and introduced himself. Everything about him was animated, and he spoke so quickly that Rosie and I didn't even quite catch his name, so between ourselves we called him "Angel". How fitting, thinking back on this now.

We talked with Agnelo for several hours of our walk that day, where he told us much about his background as many others have already detailed in their responses. We talked about luck and fate and how the world works in so many funny ways. Agnelo emphasized that he was walking because he had so many things to be grateful for in life. He sped on ahead of us that day but we ran into him in town later that evening and ended up sharing dinner with him and another one of his friends. Over the course of three hours and two bottles of red wine, we had one of my most memorable meals of the entire camino. As I said before, Agnelo had this incredible energy that he brought to every conversation. He was opinionated and curious and so eager to hear our opinions on everything from war, to social media, to walking the camino, to preconceived opinions of people, to our futures and our passions. I remember sending a message to my family after that went something along the lines of, "Just had the most incredible dinner EVER. Three hours talking about all kinds of meaningful things, it was so incredible."

In the days that followed, Rosie and I saw Agnelo a couple different times but ended up moving ahead of him in the pack the day after we left Burgos, because he chose to spend another day resting and exploring the city. I was incredibly sad to see this post and hear of his passing and truly felt a piece of my heart beating for him. I looked back through my pictures and couldn't find any with him, but did want to post and voice my complete condolences for his passing and my appreciation for his life and the wonderful gift of knowing him that he gave us. He is someone that I will remember, always.

Thinking of Angel now, and always,
Leah

Dear Joan,
Please accept my deepest sympathy upon the passing of your brother. I recognize him as my fellow pilgrim, Agnelo the doctor. During the first 3 weeks of September 2013 we met up several times on the Camino, always by chance as I rarely knew where he was walking or overnighting at any given time. As is typical among pilgrims we chatted about our lives at home, me in Western Canada, and Agnelo in England. We were the same age - 60. I remember meeting him in the courtyard of the monastery in Roncesvalles and at various other places along the way. I was a slower walker so we never spent great lengths of time walking together. We had conversations during stops in Pamplona, Boadilla, Fromista and in Carrion de los Condes where I saw him for the last time. When I saw him examining a woman's blistered feet at a downtown bench on a street in Pamplona on September 5th there was something about his manner during the examination that made me believe he might be a doctor, a fact which he confirmed when I asked him later the same evening. Over time, other details surfaced having to do with his profession as a GP and cardiologist in Cambridge, England, and that he'd been married at one time but was alone now. I think it was in a conversation with Agnelo about family left behind while we were walking this pilgrimage that I learned of a sister at home caring for their elderly mother. I remember him walking for some time with a man from Cambridge, Massachusetts, and both they and others got enjoyment out of the shared city name on opposite sides of the Atlantic. Someone called them "The Cambridge Pilgrims." Agnelo seemed to be physically healthy and to be doing well on his walk across Spain. Other people I came to know as friends on the Camino met him too; in fact, he is with a group of people at dinner in a photo one of my friends from Australia has in her Camino album on facebook. (The same photo is included in an earlier post on this forum about the missing pilgrim.) We all agree that he was inclined to be very positive and good-humoured; and thus pleasant to be around.

All seemed to be well with Agnelo and his pilgrimage until September 18th when I caught up to him and joined him at his table at a café during a coffee stop in Boadilla. At that moment he was feeling very troubled about an incident of racism that had been directed toward him. He felt angry, and he stated how disillusioned he felt about life on the Camino because of another pilgrim who had brought their unchristian racist views from their own country to the Camino to inflict upon people of different races than their own. His hurt was very fresh and raw, and I saw and felt his pain as the event had occurred less than a day earlier. During this conversation he told me his "rags to riches" personal history of being born into poverty in Africa to his family of Indo ethnicity (a minority group in Africa) and of his arrival in England as a refugee when he was a child, I think he said he was 9 then. He told of his opportunity to be educated, and that with hard work (and obvious brilliant intelligence) he pursued medicine and went on to achieve further success with cardiology as his specialty. He remarked that had the racist abuser collapsed from a heart attack, he would have been the one making a valiant attempt to revive and treat this individual. I reminded him that the majority of pilgrims were kind and accepting of other people, and were gracious toward others. Deep inside of himself he agreed that my words were probably true; however, at that moment he'd just been on the receiving end of the opposite sort of treatment. Later the same day I met him twice on the street in Fromista, and after having done some sightseeing he said he was feeling better. I was staying at an albergue near the big church and he told me he was settled into a small hotel. He admitted that he was staying in hotels to avoid the hoi polloi and the chance any of risking future negative encounters that he feared might arise in the atmosphere of communal living at pilgrim albergues. The last time I saw him two days later he was sitting at a table outside "Bar Carmen" in Carrion de los Condes sipping on a refreshing beverage in the late afternoon heat of September 20, so I joined him for some conversation. During that encounter with him I came to understand that he was also a mathematical genius when he told me about his social world of friends at home with whom he enjoyed playing the numbers game "Go" with its complexity of numerical permutations and surreal numbers. Afterward, I didn't see Agnelo again on my pilgrimage as I stayed an extra day in this city while he moved ahead, and by the date of his passing I had moved ahead by train and was already walking from Sarria to Santiago. I remember asking a few friends if they’d seen him lately but nobody had, and none of us ever heard of a pilgrim’s death in Triacastela until your post written months after our return home. I must admit that I thought long and hard, and I hesitated before sharing about Agnelo’s painful experience that I believe is extremely rare on the Camino, as I found my fellow pilgrims to be exceptionally kind, considerate, tolerant, unprejudiced and congenial. I was pleased to read that he met up and walked with some lovely people on a different portion of the Camino.

I am totally shocked and grieved that Agnelo did not live to walk into the city of Santiago de Compostela and that he did not arrive home alive and well to tell his family members about his pilgrimage across Spain. I hope you find comfort in the memories being written by the pilgrims with whom your brother walked and sojourned. During my journey I stopped and paid my respects at several shrines dedicated to fallen pilgrims who have died along the way in years gone by. I hope to walk the portion of the Camino between Sahagun and Sarria next year. When I do, I will stop in Triacastela to remember Agnelo and to say prayers for his surviving family. I am so sorry for your loss.
Blessings and “Buen Camino,”
Carmen Fairley

I recognize this man. His first name is Agnelo and he told me he was a GP and cardiologist. He passed me walking a few times and we exchanged congenial greetings each time and shared bits about our lives back home and about our Camino experiences. When I walked into Boadilla I stopped for coffee and there he was, so I sat at his table and we had a conversation. That evening I met him on the street in Fromista and he was seemingly okay and had enjoyed sight-seeing. He was staying in private accommodations rather than at albergues. I spoke with him last in Carrion de los Condes. He presumably continued walking the next day while I took a rest day. I never saw him again and I seemingly got ahead of him when I pushed ahead by train between Sahagun and Sarria, as I walked into Santiago on October 7th.
Hello, Thank you for your post. i am sorry it has been so late in replying. I broke some ribs in my back this last week and have not been able to do much except feel sorry for myself. I kept having dreams about Agnel my brother and especially Triacastella. I think he was trying to tell me to get back on the forum to check the replies.I have found many. please tell me more about your conversations with him if you are able to recall them. I will appreciate this greatly. He sent me a text about the incident and i sent one back to him saying Rise Up and Walk. Yes he was a very great doctor and cardiologist his patients loved him. I am so happy to hear about his days as he walked. Please ask others he walked with to share me their story.You are very kind and i look forward to talking with you again

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Joan,

Everyone has encountered those special individuals in life who pass through, sometimes only for just a moment, but leave a profound lasting impact. Your brother was one of these incredible people for me.

I began walking the camino September 3rd and arrived in Santiago 35 days later on October 7th with my friend Rosie. Whenever anyone asks me about the camino, I only have the most wonderful things to say about it. More than anything, it was an incredible journey because of the people we met along the way. There was something in the air that we all shared - and although we had usually only known each other for 24 hours, a couple days, or sometimes even less time, the friendships that were formed were true and lasting because of the honesty that prevailed and the intimate stories that were shared.

Rosie and I met your brother about halfway through our walk, and he was actually someone we had noticed in the couple days leading up to our first conversation. His bright neon jacket flashed in the sun as he would speed by us, walking at a much faster pace. We remarked on him several times, impressed by his sheer speed and determination. And then one day, he kindly slowed down to our pace and introduced himself. Everything about him was animated, and he spoke so quickly that Rosie and I didn't even quite catch his name, so between ourselves we called him "Angel". How fitting, thinking back on this now.

We talked with Agnelo for several hours of our walk that day, where he told us much about his background as many others have already detailed in their responses. We talked about luck and fate and how the world works in so many funny ways. Agnelo emphasized that he was walking because he had so many things to be grateful for in life. He sped on ahead of us that day but we ran into him in town later that evening and ended up sharing dinner with him and another one of his friends. Over the course of three hours and two bottles of red wine, we had one of my most memorable meals of the entire camino. As I said before, Agnelo had this incredible energy that he brought to every conversation. He was opinionated and curious and so eager to hear our opinions on everything from war, to social media, to walking the camino, to preconceived opinions of people, to our futures and our passions. I remember sending a message to my family after that went something along the lines of, "Just had the most incredible dinner EVER. Three hours talking about all kinds of meaningful things, it was so incredible."

In the days that followed, Rosie and I saw Agnelo a couple different times but ended up moving ahead of him in the pack the day after we left Burgos, because he chose to spend another day resting and exploring the city. I was incredibly sad to see this post and hear of his passing and truly felt a piece of my heart beating for him. I looked back through my pictures and couldn't find any with him, but did want to post and voice my complete condolences for his passing and my appreciation for his life and the wonderful gift of knowing him that he gave us. He is someone that I will remember, always.

Leah
Hello. Thank you for your post. I am so sorry that i have not replied to your post before now. I am Angel Agnels sister and i miss him so very much. My son died in the May of 2013 and I know Agnel was very upset that he was not able to help my Daniel. Both of them were doctors. They were excellent ones as well. Caring for the patient and not the NHS funds.I have a photo of a number of people having dinner. Agnel was a very shy man. I am so pleased that he stopped to talk to you. Please send me any more stories that you recall. Thank you for the story. I have been thinking of Agnel a lot and he told me in my dreams to look at the site. Soo here i am.

Hello,

With love ,
Emily Sanders
Hello Emily, Thank you for your post about my brother Agnel as we called him. I am so sorry that i have not replied to your post earlier. I have been very upset lately. It will be a year since my son died of cancer in the May of last year. Agnel and Daniel were both doctors and excellent ones as well. Agnel was very hurt when my son died as he felt that he was not able to help him live. Thank you for the kind thoughts. I read with happiness that he opened out to people on the Camino. Agnel was a very shy man.This week i have not been able to do much as i have broken some ribs and have been dreaming of Agnel and Daniel. One of the dreams said i must go to this site and this is why i am here now. I had not gone back since i posted as i felt so sad and upset and still am. I smile as i read your message. Thank you. He would have loved talking to you i can tell from looking at the kind of person you are. if you have any more stories no matter how small please send them to me. i look forward to talking to you again. my best.

Dear Joan,

Leah
Thank you Leah. My brother was a person who would light up the room with his conversations. He was welcomed at parties as he would make all of us laugh and he laughed with us, sometimes when telling his own stories. He like all of us in the family had a hard upbringing. He was so young to leave his Mum and Dada and brother in Africa an d come to England. I spent a lot of time with Agnel as he went to cambridge and i live not far away from the city. He spent time with me and my family. My son died in the May of 2013 from Cancer, he was only 36 and Agnel felt very upset that he was not able as a doctor to help him. They were both doctors. Agnel helped me through this terrible time, and continued to do so till he left on his lifes journey. We texted every other day and i looked forward to him coming back with his wonderful stories and photos. This did not happen and we are sad that he is has been taken away from us like our son. I will treasure the neon jacket, this made him friends. YOu may not believe it but Agnel was a very shy man. Please ask any of the fellow pilgrims who knew him to post to me. Thank you again ans i hope you will remember more and send me messages. With Blessings

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Joan,

Your brother looks familiar, but i cannot say that i know him. I know i have seen him around, thats for sure. I probably past him know and then, as i past just about everybody with my crazy fast pace.
I do know some of the people in this thread that knew him, some are pilgrim family, thats one reason why i am sure that i have seen your brother around.
I checked all my pictures, you never know if he was in one, even just on the background, but alas.

Sorry i cant be of any more help.

Wishing you much needed strength.
Thank you for your post. I have not been on site for many reasons. It has been a joy to go on today and read about my brother. If you do remember or find a friend who met my brother please do post again. I will post his Camino photos maybe next year on the anniversary of his dying on this site. The pictures are beautiful nd there are pictures of some people he met. Wish you joy, peace and happiness.

Dear Joan:

I was a few days behind your brother so I did not meet him, but like many others I walked in his footsteps. Three days before reaching Triacastela, your brother would have passed La Cruz de Ferro (or the Iron Cross) on top of mountain just beyond Foncebadon. It is a Pilgrim tradition to carry a small stone from home with you to place at the Cruz de Ferro. I would like to think your brother placed a stone on the giant pile. He would have descended the mountain and walked through several picturesque villages. On the day before he passed, he would have climbed another mountain. On top of that mountain is a tiny little village called O'Cebreiro. It has a wonderful church that many pilgrims visit whether they are staying in O'Cebreiro or not. The path down the mountain from O'Cebreiro, on his last day, is also picturesque and breathtaking. Along the way, he would have come across the statue that is behind me in my avatar picture. The walk into Triacatela is a sharp decline down a sunken path that at times sits six feet below the surrounding fields. As it meanders toward Triacastela it passes numerous barns that are teeming with all sorts of sights, sounds and smells. That particular stretch of the Camino is memorable for me because I met a farmer herding several dozen cattle up the path to a different pasture. The farmer rode a tiny burro and had his trusty dog at his side. As the cattle approached me I was forced to stop walking and press myself against the left wall of the sunken path. As the cattle passed me they paid me no attention other than a brief glance. The farmer and I tipped our caps at each other before I resumed walking. A few minutes later I was in the beautiful village of Triacastela. I have a warm memory of that town because a pharmacist there helped me with my feet. She was kind and smiled a lot. She made me feel welcome and cared for even though she knew she would never see me again.

I hope recounting part of my Camino has helped you understand what your brother was probably experiencing. The Camino is a very special place. I wish you peace as others recount their experiences with your brother. Buen Camino.
Thank you Robert for your story. I went to Triacastella. I had to bring my brother back home. I saw some of the scenerywhat you explained but of course did not see what he would have seen along the path to Triastella. He was happy when he left O'Cebreiro as he said to me it was downhill now but still hard work. I visited the shops where he bought fruit to eat after he arrived there around 2pm. He stayed at Casa David there. I hope that many will post as the days go past recalling their memories of my brother who is missed very much. Keep happy and thank you

Joan I was an Amigo working the day you came in to the pilgrim office and I felt so very sad for you . I did get to see and read the Compostela certificate for him. Thank you for posting the beautiful photograph.
Hello, Yes i remember you. I was so distraught that i had to meet someone who knew my brother and i was ure someone would be there and say yes we met. Thank you for posting. I miss my brother so much I hurt Please post me stories if you hear any. My best sent with blessings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Esther for your message. I have not replied earlier as i have not gone back to the site for many reasons. Something this week told me to go back to Triacastella i know this meant the site and i have so many messages form people who met my brother.I know that Agnel sent me this message. He was a happy man but very shy. Very intelligent and a wonderful doctor. Like my son who also died in the May of 2013 from cancer. Agnel was devasted by this loss of ours. I have this photo on his camera, and many more. please tell me more stories. He told wonderful stories. Thank you Sent with Blessings. I hope i hear from you again. I have a heavy heart.

Hello. thank you for your message. It will be wonderful to hear more form you about my brother. please send me any photos you may have. You are all so kind. Thank you. Agnel that is what we called our brother, always helped someone in need . He would stop on the roadside if there was an accident help those who needed the help. I miss him terribly. Please send me more messages. Sent with thanks and blessings

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for posting the photo. It means a lot to his family. I am his sister. he may have mentioned me as we lived close to each other and he was helping me after my son died earlier in the same year. They were both very special doctors. If you have any stories or any of the others in the photo please send them to me. I miss Agnel vey much. He was going to make me fit to walk with him this year just the last 100 KM after he had done all his on his own with Gods disciples. Thank you. please share more if you are able to.

H

Hi my wife and I spent a few days with him we had dinner with him and he helped my wife who had a bad leg remember him well I will try and find some pictures of him
Thank you for your message. That will be really good to read your story of my brother. i look forward to hearing from you. Sent with my good wishes.

Dear Joan,

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your losses. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you journey through these very difficult times. Wishing you peace and healing. Sincerely, Charleen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear Joan,

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your losses. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you journey through these very difficult times. Wishing you peace and healing. Sincerely, Charleen
Thank you for your kind thoughts.I appreciate them.

i walked the Camino from St Jean and started on Sep 2, your brother looks familiar but it was 6 months ago if you email his photo to me I will circulate it to my fellow walkers.
I am not on face book but please email daston47@gmail.com,

i arrived in Santiago around October 14
thank you regards

David Aston
H

Hello Thank you for your post. Have you found any photos of my brother. Can you tell me more about him on his camino. Things he talked about. How was his Spanish. Pleae any little will be good. thank you again

Thank you to all those who posted and to those who said they will look to see their photos and if there are any with my brother. Thank you to all who will tell me a story as you remember things my brother said and or did during his last few weeks. Any little will be appreciated. It builds up a picture for us his family.We miss him so very much. Me i think of him each and every day. He was my friend and he helped me through bad times when my son died in the May of 2013. My son was a doctor as well. The lord took both of them from us. It will be the first anniversary for my son on the 11th of May. I feel lonely and sad.Please send me anything you have as memories. Sent with my best wishes and Blessings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Joanjf-- I did not have the privilege to walk/meet your brother, but his spirit will be in my thoughts and prayers as I return to the Camino in June. I intend to stop and offer a prayer for him as I passed by Triacastela. Very sorry for your losses. Have you consider walking the Camino?

I will be on the Portuguese Camino near the end of May and I will say a prayer for you, your brother and your family when I get to Santiago. I know it is not the route that he walked but this thread has touched me and I would like to remember him.

I will be on the Portuguese Camino near the end of May and I will say a prayer for you, your brother and your family when I get to Santiago. I know it is not the route that he walked but this thread has touched me and I would like to remember him.
Thank you for your post. Thank you too that you will say a pray for my brother Dr Agnelo Lobo, when you get to Santiago. May our Lord be with you on your special journey. One day i will attempt to do the last 100K to Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Joanjf-- I did not have the privilege to walk/meet your brother, but his spirit will be in my thoughts and prayers as I return to the Camino in June. I intend to stop and offer a prayer for him as I passed by Triacastela. Very sorry for your losses. Have you consider walking the Camino?
Thank you for your post. Thank you too that you will say a prayer for my brother Agnelo in Triacastela. Please also say a prayer for my son who died of cancer earlier in the year just 36 years old. He was Agnelos nephew. My brother was devastated by his death as they were both doctors. It will be a year for my son on the 11th of May. I miss my 2 best friends so very much.

Thank you for your post. Thank you too that you will say a prayer for my brother Agnelo in Triacastela. Please also say a prayer for my son who died of cancer earlier in the year just 36 years old. He was Agnelos nephew. My brother was devastated by his death as they were both doctors. It will be a year for my son on the 11th of May. I miss my 2 best friends so very much.
I will say a prayer for both, not only at Triacastela, but I will offer the Daily Rosary for their rest and for your strength as well. God Bless.

Dear Joan,
All my best.
Heather
Yes pleae if anyone met him my email address is joanfoulds@yahoo.co.uk Thank you

H

Hello did you find any pictures of my brother. Have you got a story to tell me about my brother. I wait your reply. Thank you so much. Blessings.

Hello,Please send me any more stories you may have. He was a very private person and he must have seen the kindness in you.Thank you for what you said. I will keep these as my memories. I continue to miss him so very much. He was here or me. He was my friend and wonderful brother.

With love ,
Emily Sanders

Hello,

With love ,
Emily Sanders
- Emily, here is a post from earlier today regarding a mass to be held for Agnelo next weekend on the 3rd anniversary of his passing. Carmen
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...brother-who-died-on-the-camino-in-2013.43446/

I have posted some photos of Agnelo whilst he was on the Camino. They can be found on the Camino Ingles page.

Best wishes,

Joan

Attachments

• DSC00361_1024.jpg
    DSC00361_1024.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00410_1024.jpg
    DSC00410_1024.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00442_1024.jpg
    DSC00442_1024.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00471_1024.jpg
    DSC00471_1024.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00780_1024.jpg
    DSC00780_1024.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 103
Thank you all for your kind sentiments. I will be in Santiago tomorrow. If anyone recognises My brother, I will be really happy to hear from you
Thank you
Blessings

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you all for your kind sentiments. I will be in Santiago tomorrow.
Dear Joan,

Earlier this month I saw your post about dedicating a mass in Santiago for your brother but it was only today that I've read your post seeking more information about your brother's journey. I have no information to give you on that but after reading pilgrim's descriptions of your brother I've been weeping for him, you and, I guess, for all of us. I wish for you, as I'm sure your brother wished for others, a buen camino.

I have posted some photos of Agnelo whilst he was on the Camino. They can be found on the Camino Ingles page.

Best wishes,

Joan
Thank you. I have only just seen these. My Brother had them on his camera too. Very kind of you to send me the photos. Blessings.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your kind words. The Camino is a wonderful community.
I wish that the world was the same.
I wish that my Brother came home to tell us his story he was a great conversationalist. He made us laugh. We miss him very much.

Hello did you ever find photos of my brother.
Thank you

Hello, joanjf,

I must have been walking when you first posted, so I never saw this thread. I wanted to add my condolences and hopes that you have found many ways to remember and connect with your brother. I am glad that you have found pilgrims who did walk with your brother. But, the member who posted that earlier response (johnvp) has not been on the forum for more than three years, so I doubt that you will get a reply from him.

As I was scrolling through the posts, I saw that there was one comment from @Sagalouts, whose name was Ian. Ian died on the camino, in circumstances similar to your brother, I believe. I think you can take some solace in knowing that your brother and sagalouts probably were in the same "mental place" as they were walking.
hi Joan
sorry to hear of your loss,when ever I am on the Camino I always find peace and exception of my own mortality and find I have no regrets and find myself in a happy place,I hope (know) that your brother also found this place.
Ian

If you ever drawn to walking the camino yourself, to see what it was all about for your brother, know that you will get lots of support here from many forum members. Buen camino, Laurie

€60,-
Thank you for the reply.
This is a difficult time as my beloved brother left for his lifetime wish to walk the Camino on the 1 st of September 2013.
Do you have a photo of Sagalouts? May his soul rest in peace.
I will walk the 100kms that my brother did not complete when I feel ready maybe next year around the same time.
I appreciate the comments I receive it makes living better.
I miss Agnelo and my son too as he died just before Agnelo.
I pray that God keeps us safe to make the Camino. My sons name was Daniel and in the film the Way his son is Daniel to so this is divine providence.
Thank you again
Lots of hugs from the heart ❤️
Joan

Dear Joan,
I am sadly overdue to write you a reply to your email from several months ago. I remember being in Mexico when I read your email on my phone. If it is any consolation, there is an unfinished message to you in my "drafts" file on my gmail that I hope to finish and send asap.
In any case, johnvp has been one of my Facebook friends since our Fall 2013 Camino pilgrimage ended. I became acquainted with him and his wife with her bad leg that Agnelo attended with medical care and advice. They live in Australia. I have just sent John a private message via Facebook that there is a continued appeal for photos of Agnelo on the Camino and stories of encounters with him. I included a link to this page.
There are no words to tell you how shocked I was to learn of Agnelo's passing on social media several months after the fact, as he seemed so fit and healthy when I met him at intervals throughout the first half of the Camino Frances until I saw him last in Carrion de los Condes. (I was the same age as him.) My continued sympathy to you in your losses of your brother and your son as you approach the 4-year anniversary of Agnelo's passing.
Regards,
Carmen F.

Dear Joan,
I am sadly overdue to write you a reply to your email from several months ago. I remember being in Mexico when I read your email on my phone. If it is any consolation, there is an unfinished message to you in my "drafts" file on my gmail that I hope to finish and send asap.
In any case, johnvp has been one of my Facebook friends since our Fall 2013 Camino pilgrimage ended. I became acquainted with him and his wife with her bad leg that Agnelo attended with medical care and advice. They live in Australia. I have just sent John a private message via Facebook that there is a continued appeal for photos of Agnelo on the Camino and stories of encounters with him. I included a link to this page.
There are no words to tell you how shocked I was to learn of Agnelo's passing on social media several months after the fact, as he seemed so fit and healthy when I met him at intervals throughout the first half of the Camino Frances until I saw him last in Carrion de los Condes. (I was the same age as him.) My continued sympathy to you in your losses of your brother and your son as you approach the 4-year anniversary of Agnelo's passing.
Regards,
Carmen F.
Thank you Carmen. Agnelo left today for his Camino. We took him to the airport so he could stay in the hotel there as it was a 4am flight . He did not come back to us. I miss him dearly. My granddaughter is now in year 2 she started her first day today. She reminds me of Daniel. Did you see the statue of Daniel with the animals along the Camino. I need to find out where it is. Next year I will definitely do the 100 kms. Chai and myself talked about it this afternoon. So we have this plan and will get ready for it. I hope you are good Carmen. We went to Japan to put the 1000 Peace birds up in Hiroshima for Daniel especially and for all our Angels.
I cannot still believe that all this has happened, I hurt so much.
Thank you for your kind words.Did you meet the man Sagalouts who also died on the Camino in 2015. He was on the Camino in 2013 too.
They walk the Camino in Heaven.
Talk soon
Blessings.

Hello, joanjf,

I must have been walking when you first posted, so I never saw this thread. I wanted to add my condolences and hopes that you have found many ways to remember and connect with your brother. I am glad that you have found pilgrims who did walk with your brother. But, the member who posted that earlier response (johnvp) has not been on the forum for more than three years, so I doubt that you will get a reply from him.

As I was scrolling through the posts, I saw that there was one comment from @Sagalouts, whose name was Ian. Ian died on the camino, in circumstances similar to your brother, I believe. I think you can take some solace in knowing that your brother and sagalouts probably were in the same "mental place" as they were walking.

If you ever drawn to walking the camino yourself, to see what it was all about for your brother, know that you will get lots of support here from many forum members. Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you for your message.
I truly believe that the Camino is a lifetime friend. When I visited Triacastella last year and went to Santiago even the Bishop came to give me his blessing as I went to a mass dedicated to my Angels. I will need support when I walk .Blessings to you. Joan

€149,-
Hello, joanjf,

Thank you so much for that post. Did Ian write that message to me. I must have not seen it.
I have to look back. My brother did say he was in a good place and that he was walking with God and his disciples. I asked him if I could come and join him for the last 100 kms and he told me that he needed to walk this one alone with God. He told me that he would walk with me in 2014. He asked me to get my boots ready for walking. They are still in the box. I will get them ready and walk in 2018 God willing. That was my promise to Agnelo after his dying.
Love ❤️ you all .
Blessings
Joan

Thank you Carmen. Agnelo left today for his Camino. We took him to the airport so he could stay in the hotel there as it was a 4am flight . He did not come back to us. I miss him dearly. My granddaughter is now in year 2 she started her first day today. She reminds me of Daniel. Did you see the statue of Daniel with the animals along the Camino. I need to find out where it is. Next year I will definitely do the 100 kms. Chai and myself talked about it this afternoon. So we have this plan and will get ready for it. I hope you are good Carmen. We went to Japan to put the 1000 Peace birds up in Hiroshima for Daniel especially and for all our Angels.
I cannot still believe that all this has happened, I hurt so much.
Thank you for your kind words.Did you meet the man Sagalouts who also died on the Camino in 2015. He was on the Camino in 2013 too.
They walk the Camino in Heaven.
Talk soon
Blessings.
Hello Joan,
Tomorrow, September 2 will be the 4th anniversary of my first day walking on the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port. I only walked to the first stopping place at Orisson that day, 8 km straight up the mountain. I think Agnelo began the day after me, and walked all the way to Roncesvalles, because he passed me my second day walking between Orisson and Roncesvalles. When I walked in 2015 I didn't see the statue of Daniel that I am aware of, but I was only walking a segment of the way that year. Neither did I meet Sagalouts in 2013 or 2015 but I remember watching a YouTube video of an interview with him. I hope you find out where Daniel's statue is before you go to the Camino. Perhaps you have a photo of it that you could post? Then someone might recall having seen it. I hope and pray that you continue to heal from your grief and that by next year when you walk in Spain you will come to feel more at peace.
Be well.
Carmen

Hello, Joan,
I'm sorry can't help with photos or information. All I can offer are kind wishes for healing and ease of heart, that hope there is solace in knowing how many lives your brother touched on his journey, and how those who met him felt blessed by that. His story, and yours, is deeply touching. I hope that by walking the way that you will come to peace with the sad mystery of his passing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Joan,
Tomorrow, September 2 will be the 4th anniversary of my first day walking on the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port. I only walked to the first stopping place at Orisson that day, 8 km straight up the mountain. I think Agnelo began the day after me, and walked all the way to Roncesvalles, because he passed me my second day walking between Orisson and Roncesvalles. When I walked in 2015 I didn't see the statue of Daniel that I am aware of, but I was only walking a segment of the way that year. Neither did I meet Sagalouts in 2013 or 2015 but I remember watching a YouTube video of an interview with him. I hope you find out where Daniel's statue is before you go to the Camino. Perhaps you have a photo of it that you could post? Then someone might recall having seen it. I hope and pray that you continue to heal from your grief and that by next year when you walk in Spain you will come to feel more at peace.
Be well.
Carmen
Thank you thank you for you mail Carmen.
The Sculpture of Daniel with Animals is in the church in Portomarin. I cannot find any photos. Has anyone got a photo. This is again Divine Providence that Daniel with the Animals sculpture is on the Camino. You all know my story.
Thank you
Blessings

Hello, Joan,
I'm sorry can't help with photos or information. All I can offer are kind wishes for healing and ease of heart, that hope there is solace in knowing how many lives your brother touched on his journey, and how those who met him felt blessed by that. His story, and yours, is deeply touching. I hope that by walking the way that you will come to peace with the sad mystery of his passing.
Thank you for your kind sentiments.
Agnelo had a massive heart attack. He was a cardiologist. Doctors cannot heal themselves. I know he was peaceful and in the best place.
I miss his stories and his laughter. This month I dedicate to him and remind myself of what he was doing as I look at the messages he sent to me every other day.
Blessings to you and yours to. Love ❤️ and hugs from my heart ❤️

The Sculpture of Daniel with Animals is in the church in Portomarin. I cannot find any photos. Has anyone got a photo. This is again Divine Providence that Daniel with the Animals sculpture is on the Camino.
Dear @joanjf, I noticed that you recently asked again for a photo of a "sculpture of Daniel with Animals" in another thread. I cannot quite imagine what it is you are looking for, can you tell a bit more about it please. Is it a modern sculpture? A stand alone sculpture? Is it a representation of the biblical story of Daniel and the lions or something else altogether? And are you sure that it can be found in a church in Portomarín itself? Sorry about so many questions but I really would like you to find a picture and I'm curious about this myself as I have developed a bit of an interest in mainly Romanesque iconography along the Camino Francés but also in its modern sculptures.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you for providing this link to a formidable collection of photos of the church of San Nicolas at Portomarín. I can't find anything resembling Daniel with the lions/animals in it, can you? There is a slab of stone, possibly pre-Romanesque, on a wall of a small church in Eirexe, which is about 15 km west of Portomarín along the Camino Francés, showing Daniel and two lions. And there is a scene of Daniel with two lions on a column capital in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, in addition to the larger statue of a cheerfully smiling Daniel in the Pórtico de la Gloria.

Last edited:
This is it the church in Eirexe in Portomarin. Yes it is Daniel with animals and lions must figure in the sculpture as Daniel was in the Lions Den in the scriptures.
I would love to see that picture.
Thank you all you beautiful pellogrinos. Hugs to you all.

€83,-
Joan, it has taken a few tries over a year but I think I have found it on the webpage http://madillcamino2014.blogspot.com/2015/10/placeholder-saturday-september-20-2014.html

The text says:
Airexe: Igrexa de Santiago - stone slab and door in S wall (gl.wikipedia.org).
Embedded in the wall next to a door in the church’s south side under a small protective roof is a large stone (2.1 X 0.7 m). Some sources say this is the top of a Romanesque grave that is used as part of the wall of the building; this is probably the “sarcofago semiantropoide medieval” (or the pre-Romanesque tomb of 1100) mentioned on a sign near the entrance to town (although other sources say it was perhaps formerly a lintel). It depicts Daniel in the lions’ den between two lions. At the bottom is the inscription “RANEMIRUS FECIT” [Ramiro made it].

It is a small image but I'll try to find a bigger, better one.

And this is how the Eirexe (it's also spelled Airexe) church is seen by pilgrims on the Camino Francés (it's a little off the marked Camino Francés trail, to the left when you enter Airexe):

Eirexe church.jpg

Last edited:
Well done on the excellent detective work.
@jozero is on the CF now and kindly offered a day or so ago to see if he can get a photo of Daniel with the animals when he gets to Portomarin. I did send Joan a PM. Jozero is an extremely good photographer so I’m thinking it may still be useful if he took a photo? It looks like Daniel is on the outside of the church at Eirexe rather than Portomarin? Have I got that right or is there also a statue of Daniel inside the church at Portomarin?
cheers
Heda

€83,-
Have I got that right or is there also a statue of Daniel inside the church at Portomarin?
I am certain that there is no depiction of Daniel, whether with or without lions or any other animals for that matter, to be found inside or outside of the church of San Nicolas/San Juan in Portomarín. You can already tell from the images for which @mspath provided a link that it wouldn't fit the style of this church with its single nave and comparatively sober interior. In addition, a fairly extensive description, with lots of photos, in a digital guide of Romanesque art shows that there are no biblical scenes of any kind on the column capitals:
http://www.arquivoltas.com/11-Galicia/01-Portomarin01.htm
http://www.arquivoltas.com/11-Galicia/01-Portomarin01a.htm

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back