A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Mobile internet in Portugal

Camino Badges

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
The Portuguese mobile network MEO is currently selling a prepaid SIM card for €10. This comes pre-loaded with €10 of voice/SMS credit and a data allowance of 2Gb. This is valid for one month in Portugal. The SIM users details do not have to be registered.

Last edited:

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
On crossing into Spain and eventually losing the MEO network I switched to roaming using Spain's Movistar network. MEO then sent a text suggesting I change to their Europa tariff. Charged at €2.99 per day and giving 100mb of data per day. Renewed automatically daily while credit remains. So a further 3 days of mobile internet from the initial €10 purchase price.

MaidinBham

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, April (2014)
Camino Portuguese Lisbon>Santiago, April/May (2016)
The Portuguese mobile network MEO is currently selling a prepaid SIM card for €10. This comes pre-loaded with €10 of voice/SMS credit and a data allowance of 2Gb. This is valid for one month in Portugal. The SIM users details do not have to be registered.
Can I buy in Lisbon? It seems there is Vodophone shop there. Have not heard of MEO. Would I buy online, receive in the mail and then activate it myself once I reach Lisbon? It sounds exactly what I want.
Thanks,
Janice

MaidinBham

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, April (2014)
Camino Portuguese Lisbon>Santiago, April/May (2016)
I found a couple of links this shows network coverage - seems MEO has best coverage, but it looks a little sketchy on CP:

http://pt.opensignal.com/

I have address of MEO shop in Lisbon, it is a shopping center: Armazéns do Chiado - Rua do Carmo, Loja 4.09, 2, 1200-094 Lisboa, Portugal

Google map link - shows above address and gives additional info/hours of operation, you can zoom in and see the shop:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Loja+MEO+Lisboa+-+Chiado/@38.7097323,-9.1417882,16z/data=!4m6!1m3!3m2!1s0x0:0x943e0925be98b7a1!2sArmazéns+do+Chiado!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xbbb8444fb7fcefd0

Still looking for shop in Lisbon Airport - there must be one surely

Janice

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I walked from Porto so cannot comment on coverage south of there. From Porto north I am not aware of any time when I was out of range of an MEO signal. I did not check constantly but had no problems whenever I wished to use my phone.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 159 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 259 24.9%