• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moissac and Saint Pierre.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I took some 2000 photogaphstrying to arrange a Picasa album but am only on Moissac, a long way yet to go.
Moissac is a lovely place, the Ultreia gite is the only place to consider stopping, Rom & Aideen who own and operate the gite are Irish so expect a lot of potatoes with your Miam Miam they are perfect hosts.
Saint Pierre is a beautiful church and the nuns sing divinely, Vespers in the evening around 1800 and Laude 0800 or 0830 in the morning. The church, its tympanum, and the cloisters (do take the time to see all the sculptured capitals of the cloister columns from within and from the grassy sides) all should be visited at different times in different lights to enjoy it properly; the entrance ticket is good all day making it easy to return.
The church itself is extremely interesting. The base is classic Romanesque, see the windows, the ambulatory now sunken and largely screened from view by the New Jerusalem podium piece. The church was enlarged and rebuilt in the Gothic style and a long look inside and out will reveal several amusing details. The Gothic addition does not quite fit properly atop the Romanesque base; the new high pointed arched windows do not overlap the smaller Romanesque windows but are offset and do not matchup by several meters, the buttresses block some of the older windows. Inside the church as one approaches the altar in a small shrine on the left side, one can easily perceive a door. Nothing spectacular except that it is 3-4 meters up the side of the wall with no stairs or ladder to be accessible.
Saint James is there as you enter but down by the altar on the right hand side is another shrine depicting a much more modern sculpture piece of Jesus taken from the cross including, Mary, as well as the Magdalene, and the mother of Saint James -Mary- for once easily recognized. A marvelous church-did I mention Jeremiah? He is easily overlooked since he is located on the inside panel of the right door below the tympanum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Scruffy1, I am so glad for all your feedback, because I am leaving in 4 weeks time to walk from Rocamadour to Aire-sur-l'Adour. If you can, please keep us up to date! Bonne chemin. Sunsurf

Hi. Are you Michael? I am carol walking with Leslie. She speaks fondly of you and misses you dearly. We are hanging out in saint jean waiting for weather to improve.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back