Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Monthly Pilgrim numbers from St Jean

David

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Hi all - I once had a neat graph that displayed monthly pilgrim numbers from St Jean but cannot find it now.

Have done a lot of searching - I know it or similar exists! - but have failed. Can't get a link from the St Jean pilgrim office and the cathedral seems only to show those arriving in Santiago ....

I am off soon to the Camino doing the first aid thing and was wondering when is the earliest I can go and find sufficient numbers of victims - ooppss, casualties :D.

Can anyone point me to where I can find out the info? Knowing March, April, numbers from St Jean, and even Roncesvalles and Pamplona - those first few days, would be helpful as I find that from day 2 to 7 is when bodies tend to fail - if they are going to fail after the Camino shock of walking every day, too far, too fast, too heavy, wrong footwear, etc.

Thanks!!

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Felipe

Veteran Member
Yours is really a good, laudable purpose.
I have seen many people ending with problems after the SJPP-Roncesvalles stage, especially amongst those that choose the steep forest descent. The last 100k is another source of problems, because people starting in Sarria have frequently no experience and try to keep pace with a larger group.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 - 2019
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Hi David. You had a similar request last year that for some reason I responded to in a PM. I dug it up and here it is:

The average number of pilgrims arriving in Santiago on the CF in March over the last 5 years is about 4,000. If they did the whole thing they would have left in February. The CF arrivals in March 2013 was about 4,000. So thats what I'll use. The office registered im March 2013 about 275 coming from SJ, about 225 from Roncevalles and about 100 from Pamplona. So about 20 per day would be passing through Puente de Reina.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

David

Veteran Member
thanks for all the above - truly helpful!!

David

Veteran Member
Have now found one of the graphs (on a dusty mem' stick!) - shows weekly from St Jean but about five years ago I think. Interesting peaks - first week in September having the most pilgrims.

The first leap in numbers is week 13, which is the last week in March - so will make that period my first visit this year. Coo! Packing now!! hurrah!!!

Luka

Veteran Member
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
So it is less crowded on the Camino in June/July than in May/September. Wonder why...

David

Veteran Member
Hi Luka - not so much the crowds on the Camino, which do peak earlier in the year, but specifically numbers leaving St Jean.
The majority of pilgrims are Spanish and almost none of those start in France.

It is pilgrims from other parts of the world who start in St Jean and I have absolutely no idea why it is always busy late August until end of September and with a big peak first week of September in St Jean - is sort of counter-intuitive isn't it!

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Luka

Veteran Member
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
The majority of pilgrims are Spanish and almost none of those start in France.
Ah yes, of course! I think by the way that the GR 65 (Le Puy en Velay - St Jean PdP) is also more crowded in May and September. For some reason the French seem to prefer those months. Maybe to avoid the warm summer months?

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads