• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SJPDP pilgrim office numbers - January to October 2023

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The SJPDP pilgrim office numbers for January to October have just been posted on their Facebook account. After a very busy start to the year things seem to have settled down a little. By the end of October the numbers recorded by the office were 6.4% up on the same period in 2022. At the other end of the camino the running total of Compostelas issued in Santiago is about 2% up on the same period last year.

sjpdpstats.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We did not register at the pilgrim office even though we started at SJPDP, and all those that start in Roncesvalles won't be registering there either.

We did not register at the pilgrim office even though we started at SJPDP, and all those that start in Roncesvalles won't be registering there either.
The statistics from the pilgrim offices in SJPDP and Santiago are only ever going to be a partial picture. I no longer register at the Santiago pilgrim office when I finish my journeys so I will not be counted in their annual statistics either. But the records do give some idea of trends over time.

all those that start in Roncesvalles won't be registering there either.
There was a time not so long ago when Roncesvalles was the main starting point for Spanish pilgrims on the Camino Frances but that is no longer true. The numbers of pilgrims of all nationalities who start from SJPDP greatly outnumber those who choose to start from Roncesvalles which is increasingly becoming a waypoint rather than the start of a Camino journey. We even see the bizarre situation of people taking a bus from Pamplona through Roncesvalles to SJPDP just so they can turn around and walk back west!

Screenshot_20231107_142616.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There was a time not so long ago when Roncesvalles was the main starting point for Spanish pilgrims on the Camino Frances but that is no longer true. The numbers of pilgrims of all nationalities who start from SJPDP greatly outnumber those who choose to start from Roncesvalles which is increasingly becoming a waypoint rather than the start of a Camino journey. We even see the bizarre situation of people taking a bus from Pamplona through Roncesvalles to SJPDP just so they can turn around and walk back west!

View attachment 159835
I did exactly that! I wanted to experience the Pyrenees and I’m so glad I did!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yesterday I did Sarria - Portomarin to let my cousin (66) know the Camino and we passed 15 pilgrims from Spain, Mexico, USA (Arizona), Italy and Switzerland.
Numbers walking the Caminos are tailing off now but still surprisingly large for the time of year. So far today the Santiago pilgrim office has recorded 433 pilgrims from all routes and there will probably be a few more before the office closes. That will bring the running total for the year so far to less than 2,000 short of the record number of pilgrims recorded during the whole of 2022.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I admit that my crystal ball is quite cloudy, and I don't pretend to read minds. I expect someone who uses the phrase 'every year' means just that!
Yeah my post was poorly worded for sure. Didn't proof read before posting.

Sorry if it caused you any concern (the exclamation mark implies alarm or surprise).

Numbers walking the Caminos are tailing off now but still surprisingly large for the time of year. So far today the Santiago pilgrim office has recorded 433 pilgrims from all routes and there will probably be a few more before the office closes. That will bring the running total for the year so far to less than 2,000 short of the record number of pilgrims recorded during the whole of 2022.
Yesterday it was raining as usual. I met a French pilgrim in a bar in Baamonde. She was in her late fifties and was doing alone Camino del Norte from Bordeaux.

The SJPDP pilgrim office numbers for January to October have just been posted on their Facebook account. After a very busy start to the year things seem to have settled down a little. By the end of October the numbers recorded by the office were 6.4% up on the same period in 2022. At the other end of the camino the running total of Compostelas issued in Santiago is about 2% up on the same period last year.

View attachment 159808

Thank you for posting this. I read also that the number of Compostelas granted in Santiago was some 435,000, if I recall correctly. I infer from this that nearly 400,000 pilgrims did just the last 100km.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hank you for posting this. I read also that the number of Compostelas granted in Santiago was some 435,000, if I recall correctly. I infer from this that nearly 400,000 pilgrims did just the last 100km.

Not quite that simple. There are many possible paths and starting points. The Santiago pilgrim office records arrivals from all the Camino routes. The office in Saint Jean Pied de Port only shows numbers on one particular route. The Camino Frances was the first route to be revived in recent times but is increasingly being overtaken by the numbers of walkers choosing other paths. The Santiago office provides very detailed statistics of arrivals in Santiago who have received a Compostela broken down by nationality, route, starting point, age and so on if you are interested in looking further. The total number of Compostelas issued for all routes in 2022 was 438,307. The largest number for a single year in modern times. And that record looks likely to fall tomorrow as the running total for 2023 including today's arrivals currently stands about 177 short of that. Remarkable given that last year was a Holy Year when numbers are expected to peak and also given that there are still six weeks of the year to run.

Not quite that simple. There are many possible paths and starting points. The Santiago pilgrim office records arrivals from all the Camino routes. The office in Saint Jean Pied de Port only shows numbers on one particular route. The Camino Frances was the first route to be revived in recent times but is increasingly being overtaken by the numbers of walkers choosing other paths. The Santiago office provides very detailed statistics of arrivals in Santiago who have received a Compostela broken down by nationality, route, starting point, age and so on if you are interested in looking further. The total number of Compostelas issued for all routes in 2022 was 438,307. The largest number for a single year in modern times. And that record looks likely to fall tomorrow as the running total for 2023 including today's arrivals currently stands about 177 short of that. Remarkable given that last year was a Holy Year when numbers are expected to peak and also given that there are still six weeks of the year to run.

Of course...I wwasn't thinking straight. Thanks for the correction 🙏

View attachment 159808

Curious how those numbers are collected. I was in SJPdP in May, but never checked in. It was the end of my Chemin - almost - I went as far as Roncesvalles Yet another reason those two numbers are not necessarily related.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back