• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More Graphs?

Time of past OR future Camino
Newbie - Maybe late March ‘23 CF
Hi all, I'm enjoying nerding out on this information, and now I crave more. The graph Trecile has posted before (below) is super cool. It's the number of pilgrims leaving SJPdP by week from 2017. Does anyone have links to more data or graphs. 2022 and 2023 numbers from SJPdP would be cool to compare. Also, is there similar data on weekly arrivals in Santiago? Are there any other data for the number of pilgrims for any cities in-between?
1705552877777.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m studying business analytics at the moment and in particular predictive analytics. It would be interesting to look at the data to see what trends are there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My favourite collection of Camino data was posted here by @Kathar1na a few years ago. A statistical summary from the records in Roncesvalles in 1987. For context you need to understand that Don Elias Valiña and his associates had painted the first yellow arrows in 1984. Forty years ago - an anniversary worth noting. Don Elias's guidebook with detailed maps was the first comprehensive practical Camino guide and was published in 1985. So the Camino was in its infancy at the time. And it was the Camino - there were no other waymarked routes. Given the current trend towards shorter Caminos which only just meet the cathedral's 100km minimum to receive the Compostela it is remarkable to note that the number recorded at Roncesvalles in 1987 was nearly half of the total number of Compostelas issued that year. Even though there was no minimum distance rule.

Roncesvalles1987 (1).jpg

Here's a snip from Trecile's link above. The site comes up slowly on my computer so I'll share here to save others the time. I'm assuming this is the pilgrims arriving in Santiago
1705587719294.png

Here's another cool graph from Bradypus's link above https://solviturambulando.es/en/daily-pilgrim-arrivals/ I had to follow a link or two, so adding this to save others the digging. This one is daily! If you enjoy this kind of data, go to the restless engineer Solvitur Ambulando site as mouse-over provides more data.

View attachment 162330

Speculation on my part, but I think the delta between years is influenced by holidays which fluctuate (easter, festivals, etc). It might be a good overlay to see these in the data if you are looking to understand the deltas or looking to pick an ideal time to go. (fewer people)

Speculation on my part, but I think the delta between years is influenced by holidays which fluctuate (easter, festivals, etc).
Movable feasts play a part in determining exactly where in the month/year the busiest days will fall. It always amazes me when someone posts in apparent surprise that SJPDP or Santiago is very busy and they are having trouble finding a room or booking public transport - and neglects to mention that it happens to be Easter ...

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back